The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The Worldwide C0VlD-19 Coronavirus Pandemic Discussion Thread...

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I heard about a conspiracy theory that CV has been stateside since basically the very beginning and the numbers of infected people and even inactive, recovered cases could be massive. We just don’t know because they haven’t been testing for it that long.

Thoughts?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

loop101

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Mar 3, 2013
Serious question. If we don’t get accurate testing for another 4-6 weeks and then it takes another 6-10 weeks to test a majority of the population.. how will we know it’s “over”?

We’ll be stuck just listening to the media yeah?

I guess the same way they knew when the Spanish Flu was over, people stopped dying from it.

loop101

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Mar 3, 2013
I heard about a conspiracy theory that CV has been stateside since basically the very beginning and the numbers of infected people and even inactive, recovered cases could be massive. We just don’t know because they haven’t been testing for it that long.

Thoughts?

Sounds like a plot twist from The Walking Dead

RickJenner-560x315.png

Thoelt53

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Dec 8, 2016
Boston, MA

Thoughts?
I have also heard this and that many of this year’s flu deaths could be related.

Nothing would surprise me today.

CDC ordered USAMRIID at Fort Detrick in Maryland to shut down immediately back in August 2019. Coronaviruses were being studied/manipulated in that lab.

Primeperiwinkle

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 30, 2018
Quoting my own post because @Primeperiwinkle wants to get weird

;)

OOOOOOO! This guy is nice! I hadn’t read him. Ok so I’m back on Astragalus and it’s NOT June at all. That’s great news. Middle of May is a much nicer timeline.. I have somewhere to be. Lol.

Primeperiwinkle

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 30, 2018
Sounds like a plot twist from The Walking Dead

RickJenner-560x315.png

But it’s not actually a plot twist is it? I don’t get how ppl aren’t seeing this. I have clients every week who travel internationally. Flights out of Wuhan were still going before they locked it down.. if the virus really was all over the world ALREADY how would we know it was actually safe to move around?

Entire countries aren’t really testing....and they won’t ever test everybody in the world.. soo... hmm.

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
Favorite conspiracy theory I've heard is that it was an American bio weapon that was sold to the Canadians and then stolen by the Chinese.

I already posted the job posting at the Wuhan Institute of Virology for a post doc position studying a novel corona virus, from late November. I obtained this myself from their job board. It wasn't copied from someone else so unless someone put up a fake website with a seemingly authentic URL, it's legit.

Regardless of its origin (evolved or man made), I'm fairly convinced it escaped that lab. That would explain why the ChiComs locked it down so hard. They already knew what it was and what it was capable of. No way they would shut down a major industrial center over a few dozen deaths.

Obviously just speculation but one that is supported by some reasoning and circumstantial evidence.

That said, it really doesn't matter. It's here and we have to deal with it.

GIlman

Still Gilman
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
605%
Oct 16, 2014
Yeah, I'm assuming once a certain percentage of the population has had it, that it will start to fade out. So I'm saying start with the healthiest people first, to minimize deaths.

It gets back to R0 that we have talked about in past posts. We can figure out very roughly what it will take for the pandemic to wind down. Remember for the pandemic to drop off R0 needs to be less that 1.

R0 is thought to be around 2.3 - 3.4ish depending on lots of factors like how dense the population is, etc...lets assume R0 of 2.6 for our calculation.

If R0 is 2.6 in a virgin population that means that the average person infects 2.6 more people. That is how infections it is at baseline. Well, what if 50% of the people have already been infected. That means that 1/2 of all the people you encounter can't get the illness so we would expect R0 to become about 1/2 of the baseline, or R0 would be very roughly 1.3.

So what would we have to get to R0 = 1. Theoretically we have to get to where 61.5% of the population is infected (or immune by vaccination). So in this scenario only 38.5 % of people remain susceptible before the R0 would be expected to drop to 1. Now this isn't even the end, just the inflection point where things can really start to wind down.

Until R0 < 1 the infection is still growing in size, but from very early on the rate of acceleration decreases when enough people have it that there is a sizable population immune. When R0 = 1, there is no acceleration, the # infected stays constant for a brief moment in time, then as R0 decreases below 1 we get a negative acceleration and it fades out.

This is obviously a very rough calculation because there are lots of things that can change to alter R0. People become more aware and practice social distancing, wash their hands more often, etc. But assuming the rate of baseline transmission remains constant that's roughly the scenario you can expect.

EDIT: Incidentally this is probably why you see projections that 40-70% of people will be infected until this fades out. It all depends on what the R0 is. They are basing their projections off of this.

Last edited:

Thoelt53

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Dec 8, 2016
Boston, MA
Favorite conspiracy theory I've heard is that it was an American bio weapon that was sold to the Canadians and then stolen by the Chinese.

I already posted the job posting at the Wuhan Institute of Virology for a post doc position studying a novel corona virus, from late November. I obtained this myself from their job board. It wasn't copied from someone else so unless someone put up a fake website with a seemingly authentic URL, it's legit.

Regardless of its origin (evolved or man made), I'm fairly convinced it escaped that lab. That would explain why the ChiComs locked it down so hard. They already knew what it was and what it was capable of. No way they would shut down a major industrial center over a few dozen deaths.

Obviously just speculation but one that is supported by some reasoning and circumstantial evidence.

That said, it really doesn't matter. It's here and we have to deal with it.
I’m of, and have been, the same opinion. I only just today discovered the link I posted earlier. Only further supports the theory, especially when you consider China’s reaction to the outbreak.

Mckenzie

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
151%
Aug 25, 2013
Australia PM Scott Morrison imposes 14-day self-isolation period on all international arrivals

Tommo

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
168%
Jan 21, 2018
Perth Australia
No, but partisan hackery is. That was my perception of it, if that was off-base, then I apologize.

I lean on the entire spectrum, so much so, I've been ostracized from all parties.

I'm vegan. (Oh you belong over here on the left)
I own 4 glocks and an AR-15, and am a staunch 2A defender. (OH wait, you belong over here to the right!)
Gay people should marry (Wait, you belong over here. more left)
I believe in small government (Uh, maybe come back right??)
Religion is a control mechanism. (Maybe come back left?)
I believe in minimal taxation (come back right sir!!)
I believe in animal rights (YESSS, come here to the left!!!)
I believe that gender/social justice initiatives are crap (moves right again)

When it all boils down, I fit in neither party. I'm on an island to myself, which is why I can't stand partisan BS.

Judge a politician not by the R or D, but by their actions/results.
Judge a person, not by skin or gender, but by their actions/results.

I seek to uncover the truth, not to confirm biases. This thread is a search for truth, a truth that might save lives.

Makes sense.

I think we agree on the main point: Trump sucks as an orator and has a bad case of "foot in the mouth" syndrome -- which leads to these communication errors that either side can play football with. In this time of crisis, it won't work for him, but against.
Sorry MJ DeMarco but you are not on tbat island alone, there's plenty who have the same believes as listed. These lie on the libertarian island, neither left nor right.

million$$$smile

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
703%
Dec 25, 2012
Midwest
I've cautiously regarded myself as an 'early adopter' of the acceptance that CV would eventually RADICALLY disrupt most of our lives.
With that in mind, I've tried to personally prep myself for large scale social disruption.

The past few days, I've been planning protocols for the business and my staff in the event of complete disruption and possible temporary closure. This is more about ensuring that if any radical social 'events' occur, these people have some funds available to weather a 'storm' for at least a few weeks.

Also, preparing in the extreme case of martial law or something similar. I am of the opinion that many here in the US are still in the 'early majority' stage of preparation for anything more radical than 5-6 days disruption of normal living routines. Again, just my opinion.

I believe there is still a good proportion of people that are in denial and don't regard this as something to be concerned about.
My guess is 25% of the population simply believe that these events are proportionally overblown and they are in denial about preparing for future disruption. Again, it is just a guess, based on banter with customers which I admit is skewed due to their gender, occupations, and my geographical area. I happen to live in a rural area that I regard as more independent than many areas of the US. My opinion is those people will eventually realize that this is serious, with the possibility of interruption of basic supplies or a governmental lockdown.

If you've become aware, (at least in my opinion), you've been acquiring supplies for yourself and immediate family.
All well and good.
One might also consider some additional supplies in case an older neighbor doesn't have the resources available. Also can be used for trade/barter.
I regard this as Radical Planning for Radical Times.

One might consider creating rapport with neighbors if you see them outside. It could be the difference maker if/when needed.
This could very well get sketchy quickly if supplies really begin to run out. Basic supplies might cost 10X the norm, so if I had a choice between $1000 cash and $1000 in food staples, first aid kits, alcohol, fuel, etc. I would definitely take the staples. Cash might not be king or go too far .

Consider your situational awareness. Might think about an exit plan if needed.
Also this event has forced me to see my financial weakness in the event I was incapacitated/died. I'm entrusting my personal Passcodes to my most trustworthy kin, my daughter. It is long overdue.

This could very well blow over but if it doesn't, I want to be as prepared as possible.

Plan for the unplanned.

"...and having done all to stand, stand firm"

BlackMagician

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
236%
Jul 18, 2018
Mumbai, India
Can someone provide a detail info regarding India's case?
Here, there is no news regarding coronavirus in mainstream media.
People are protesting against government in large numbers.

The political situation is also bad.

I don't think India's Health industry can cope with Coronavirus Pandemic.

Can you guys also suggest what kind of preparations should be done.

I am very calm as of now. But after reading the article shared by @Thoelt53 , i am nervous. I work in 9-5 job and from next week my company giving Work from home. We live pay check to check.

Do suggests what major steps i should take NOW for me and my family, and what can be done for others who need help.

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia

I am very calm as of now. But after reading the article shared by @Thoelt53 , i am nervous. I work in 9-5 job and from next week my company giving Work from home. We live pay check to check.

Do suggests what major steps i should take NOW for me and my family, and what can be done for others who need help.

F*ck man that sounds terrible :(

Sorry to hear about whats happening in india at the moment.

I would worry about stocking up on foods that are the cheapest to purchase and the most calorie dense, any money you have i would throw into food, petrol, first aid and water.

I would also consider planting vegetables and growing them to save money?

Is that even an option for you?

Any of your belongings you can sell and then use that money to buy food/water/petrol/first aid?

BlackMagician

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
236%
Jul 18, 2018
Mumbai, India
F*ck man that sounds terrible :(

Sorry to hear about whats happening in india at the moment.

I would worry about stocking up on foods that are the cheapest to purchase and the most calorie dense, any money you have i would throw into food, petrol, first aid and water.

I would also consider planting vegetables and growing them to save money?

Is that even an option for you?

Any of your belongings you can sell and then use that money to buy food/water/petrol/first aid?

I live in Metro city. No place to plant.

Apart from the basics, I have always tried to live a simple life so no expensive stuffs like TV etc. But I will think about what can be sold. I have money to survive 2-3 months. But I am worried about what I will do if someone in my family get the disease.

I will be stocking up foods, water, petrol starting today. For first aid, does basic kit will do or should I buy some more medical stuffs for any uncertainties?

How can i help others? Due to limited exposure of truth regarding this pandemic, everyone is living as usual. Public transport is still crowded. I fear that if someone infected goes to those public places, it will be a disaster for India.

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia

Apart from the basics, I have always tried to live a simple life so no expensive stuffs like TV etc. But I will think about what can be sold. I have money to survive 2-3 months. But I am worried about what I will do if someone in my family get the disease.

I will be stocking up foods, water, petrol starting today. For first aid, does basic kit will do or should I buy some more medical stuffs for any uncertainties?

How can i help others? Due to exposure of truth regarding this pandemic, everyone is living as usual. Public transport is still crowded. I fear that if someone infected goes to those public places, it will be a disaster for India.

I don't know mate, i don't have all the answers. I don't even know if what i told you to do is the right thing to do it's just what i would do.

I would worry about helping yourself first and getting your family prepared for this. Then help everyone else.

First aid is a tough one i don't know what you would prioritise...maybe someone else has something else to add in that regard.

BlackMagician

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
236%
Jul 18, 2018
Mumbai, India
I don't know mate, i don't have all the answers. I don't even know if what i told you to do is the right thing to do it's just what i would do.

I would worry about helping yourself first and getting your family prepared for this. Then help everyone else.

First aid is a tough one i don't know what you would prioritise...maybe someone else has something else to add in that regard.
Thanks man. Will wait for others to give their input.
@lowtek @Rabby @Roz

PeterKN

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
85%
Jan 1, 2019
That really feels strange in Europe. Right now we are starting the complete shutdown to prevent the health system from breaking down. The strength of the health systems seems to be the key to having a low mortality. Italy, Spain or UK with bad health systems have a high mortality, Germany, Sweden, South Korea and others are way under 1 percent.

BaiAnrui

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
127%
Jul 30, 2019
The Netherlands
In Europe (i'm from the Netherlands) the problem is that every country has his own way of dealing with it. But every day more countries go on lock down. I think the government here can't wait any longer deu the pressure of the people.

Big companies like KLM already get government support, and there are special packages for smaller businesses.

Good news, I have a lot of contacts in China, life is slowly starting there. But they really stayed at home for at least 2 months and Chinese government had serious way of dealing with the coronavirus.

Whe all have to stay calm...it will be better soon. good luck!!

BaiAnrui

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
127%
Jul 30, 2019
The Netherlands
That really feels strange in Europe. Right now we are starting the complete shutdown to prevent the health system from breaking down. The strength of the health systems seems to be the key to having a low mortality. Italy, Spain or UK with bad health systems have a high mortality, Germany, Sweden, South Korea and others are way under 1 percent.

Hello Peter,

Just posted a post on Europe too. Yes getting serious here but that is the only way to deal with it. Good luck!

EVMaso

Calm Seas
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Apr 28, 2019
Vancouver, Canada

How can i help others? Due to limited exposure of truth regarding this pandemic, everyone is living as usual. Public transport is still crowded. I fear that if someone infected goes to those public places, it will be a disaster for India.

Start here:

Focus on these things:

- Food (2-3 months worth for you and the family). Cheap and easy calories, like rice.
- Water, or some way to purify water
- Medicines
- Save even more money, stop unnecessary spending
- Make sure you and the family are on board and aware of potential crisis scenarios

I'm actually surprised there's not much corona virus news coming out of India. I don't know too much over how things operate their in detail. Just being aware and prepared should put you ahead of most. Start immediately. Good luck.

Tossek

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
May 5, 2019
Germany

Hi,

I am not a medical professional. All what I say is on your own risk. For treatment of fever and pain, I piled up some pain killers like Ibuprofen or Paracetamol. I avoid personally aspirin (ASA) because it thins the blood and I get stomach aches from it.

Otherwise, I added into my food stock pile: Beans and rice, rice and beans :) (dried) . Tomatos in bins. Noodles to cook. Ramen and the general broth stock powder. Oat and marmelade, honey ... I have some freezed vegetables and fish. If you do not have the possibility to cool, I would suggest cabbage, carrots and pumpkins which are long lasting in dry and dark areas. But seal them off against insects. Potatoes differs from type to type. I do not stick with them.

And lastly: Water. We are two people and have here around 4 l/day stockpiled for around 10 days. This is as well for cooking in worst case scenarios - which I do not believe in to be honest.

Ah, and toilet paper of course :rofl::rofl::rofl:

BlackMagician

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
236%
Jul 18, 2018
Mumbai, India
I'm actually surprised there's not much corona virus news coming out of India. I don't know too much over how things operate their in detail. Just being aware and prepared should put you ahead of most. Start immediately. Good luck.
That's the scary part i am talking about. In my city, Mumbai, We have 20-30 cases who are isolated in hospitals, which i got the news from local people, but no news in main stream media. Apart from mainstream media, the free media is stuck up with NRC / CAA bullshit. Some are protesting, some are defending but no major steps being taken by any community against corona as far as i know.

GIlman

Still Gilman
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
605%
Oct 16, 2014
Actually, since medications were brought up. I want to mention that Aspirin should not be used in children our young adults, especially if they have a viral infection.

there is a very serious condition called Reye’s Syndrome that causes swelling of the liver and brain resulting in severe complications.

Also, NSAID class drugs, which include ibuprofen and naproxen (Aleve), can increase risk of bleeding, which some people call blood thinning. Tylenol/acetaminophen/paracetamol (same drug different names) does not cause bleeding.

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
I heard an audio recording today of someone with supposed INSIDERS Pentagon information. It's not vet-table enough for me to even post it here, but if what I heard in this recording is true, there's a possibility of an Italy-type martial law in the United States within the next few weeks. It kind of makes sense though, and most of the largest corporations in the United States are on board. Kind of like ripping the band-aid off quickly - contain it, anyone who would come out of the back side of the quarantine period sick would be treated, but it would be an easy way to isolate it and keep it from spreading further.
I mean I think this is inevitable. It's really just a matter of now or later.

We either implement it now while most people are relatively unscathed, or we wait for things to get really bad and let things get as bad as they are in Italy where people are being treated in the hallways by doctors in Hazmat suits and they have to literally choose who gets the oxygen they need to live or die.

The hospital system is right now in Italy right now:

View: https://youtu.be/_IOMv_7xEvo?t=27

(Not a fan of the clickbaity video title, but the interview is legit)

Or we hit the brakes right now and put a stop to this.

Or the third option is we just do nothing and let everyone fend for themselves (which I'm fairly confident would lead to a near-apocalyptical societal breakdown.)

I say rip off the bandaid.

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
I wonder how feasible it is for the world's countries to shut down airports and ban tourists altogether (cargo flights will still resume) for 1.5 - 2 months until things get better, or until vaccines or cures are found. The tourism industry will take a very big hit but besides this, I don't see how this thing is even going to get contained at all.

One trend I'm seeing recently over here in Singapore, as well as in China, is that the number of imported cases are actually more than the locally-transmitted cases.

E.g: Since most folks here are from the US, let's take the situation in the US as an example. Let's say everyday, you've 750 Swiss, 2800 Aussies, 3500 Italians, 1500 French, 3900 Koreans coming into the country as tourists, and let's say 1% of those are infected. Then, those 1% go on to infect the others within the US. That's per day.

Now, on top of that, let's say 15,000 Americans go overseas to various countries everyday, and 1% of those are infected as well, and they infect the locals there. Daily.

What a F*cking mess! Shut down the airports, ban tourists, don't just quarantine people.....quarantine entire countries. Let's put a stop to this madness before Bill Gates' "This pandemic will kill 65 million globally" prediction comes true!

CLOSE THE F*ckING AIRPORTS!!!! Deploy troops with live rounds to enforce it.
This is not the time for irresponsible ****ers to travel around and get infected and infect others!
You're not going to die just because you don't travel for 2 months!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.