The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The Worldwide C0VlD-19 Coronavirus Pandemic Discussion Thread...

.B.

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
202%
Jun 18, 2016
Belgium, Europe
...I can't imagine how much worse it would be in this context to walk into work every day with that dread of "is today the day I get sick"?

Now, I have the option to choose the day I begin any precautions such as self-isolation.

If it's a nothing burger, do you also think the following facts will have no effect on your life?
  • Various auto makers have shut down production due to inability to get parts (since the parts come from China). This could lead to higher auto prices worldwide.
  • Many electronics manufacturers, including Apple, have had to shut down production. This could lead to scarcity of devices and higher prices worldwide.
  • Chinese livestock farms have been unable to get shipments of feed in or of meat out, forcing some of them to make the decision to slaughter and bury their stock. This could lead to meat shortages and higher meat prices worldwide.
  • A lot of people are out of work:
    • Quarantined people
    • Airline employees
    • Factory workers
    • School teachers and staff
    • Anyone whose employer already went bankrupt
There is an irrecoverable loss of productivity between Feb 10 (when Chinese New Year ended) and the present. You can't just "press pause" on a nation's productivity and then pick up again as if nothing happened.

We now live in a world where people (and employers) are a little bit poorer, and everyday products are a little bit more expensive.

Let's imagine that this nothing burger disappeared tomorrow. Ask yourself if all the people and companies already implicated in this situation could afford to make only 11/12th's of what they expected to make this year, or if there will be a ripple effect of lower purchasing power and more bankruptcies and all the effects that has on an economy.

There will be repercussions. And we will feel them.

Maybe it's just going to be trivial stuff, like "I can't buy my favorite Old Navy flip-flops because they were made in China and I have to wait a couple of months before they're available."

Or maybe it's going to be life-shattering stuff, like someone I love can't get a simple penicillin prescription filled, so they die of a treatable illness.

Or maybe it's going to be world-altering stuff, like people rioting in the streets because they don't have food.

Right now, it's all speculation. I'll leave the actual forecasting to the experts.

But no matter what level of impact we feel, what do you think will be the response of most sidewalkers who have lived cushy lives up to this point? How much resilience and creativity will they be able to muster up in the face of this situation? They'll be practically howling for someone to rescue them.

No doubt, this is my F*ck This Event...

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

.B.

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
202%
Jun 18, 2016
Belgium, Europe
3296 sick people and 148 deaths so far here in Italy.
... the virus has been circulating here in Italy since December, and it went undetected until after people realized the COVID exists, so I wonder if it's that dangerous. Maybe it can only become harmful if it mutates, which is the only thing I'd be worried about at the moment.

Lots of people die from pneumonia or sthg related each year.

So even if covid already made a lot of deaths the last 2 months in Italy, it may have gone unnoticed initially, just "worse" numbers than usual.

But they will start to attribute more deaths to covid as it picks up speed and as they start to test people more systematically.

Last edited:

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
local town.jpg

What do you have to do to get some bog roll around this town?
Luckily i have some!!!!
Looking to swap!
I have 4 rolls of toilet paper 2 ply embossed new never used and in original wrapper. Please let me know what you got. Would be most interested in small SUV or Ute. Thanks in advance

Thoelt53

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Dec 8, 2016
Boston, MA

loop101

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Mar 3, 2013
This will be the year of "Luxe Bidet" .

straddle-bidet.png

bidet-pressure.png

loop101

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Mar 3, 2013
I wish the fear mongers would cover the 3000+ people killed by drunk drivers everyday worldwide. But that wouldn’t be nearly as exciting as the COVID 19!

The difference with this virus is that there is a chance (hopefully shrinking), that every single person in the US will get it. It is also currently believed to be 34x more deadly than the flu (0.1 vs 3.4% mortality). This would mean that every single person has to roll the dice, and has a 3% of dying. *That* is getting people's attention.

We can imagine avoiding drunk-drivers, but its hard to imagine avoiding something that is super-contagious. Even if you are vigilant, are your loved ones, and their friends? Probably not. I think the one thing that is containing this virus, if it is being contained, is the paranoia about it. China, to their credit, probably did save a lot of lives by locking down their cities.

Rivoli

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Jun 4, 2018
Orange County, California
Totally agree.

I used to work in a place where they had an open office layout with 500 people working on the same floor. Every illness would sweep through the whole building.

Every winter, everyone would keep count of the "rounds" that we had been through.

"What are we at, plague 3.0 now?"

"No, we're up to 4.0."

It felt frustratingly inevitable. For me, it was especially frustrating, because while my work could be done just as well from home or the office, I HAD to come in to the office.

I can't imagine how much worse it would be in this context to walk into work every day with that dread of "is today the day I get sick"?

Now, I have the option to choose the day I begin any precautions such as self-isolation.

If it's a nothing burger, do you also think the following facts will have no effect on your life?
  • Various auto makers have shut down production due to inability to get parts (since the parts come from China). This could lead to higher auto prices worldwide. A minority. Not a huge deal
  • Many electronics manufacturers, including Apple, have had to shut down production. This could lead to scarcity of devices and higher prices worldwide. They are going back to work shortly.
  • Chinese livestock farms have been unable to get shipments of feed in or of meat out, forcing some of them to make the decision to slaughter and bury their stock. This could lead to meat shortages and higher meat prices worldwide. Don‘t really care about China. And it won’t lead to higher prices world Wide. China is a net importer.
  • A lot of people are out of work:
    • Quarantined people. No one is quarantined in the US
    • Airline employees Not a big deal
    • Factory workers Hasn’t happened in US
    • School teachers and staff In tiny areas in the US. Not a big deal.
    • Anyone whose employer already went bankrupt
There is an irrecoverable loss of productivity between Feb 10 (when Chinese New Year ended) and the present. You can't just "press pause" on a nation's productivity and then pick up again as if nothing happened. They do it every Chinese New Year

We now live in a world where people (and employers) are a little bit poorer, and everyday products are a little bit more expensive.

Let's imagine that this nothing burger disappeared tomorrow. Ask yourself if all the people and companies already implicated in this situation could afford to make only 11/12th's of what they expected to make this year, or if there will be a ripple effect of lower purchasing power and more bankruptcies and all the effects that has on an economy. Are you talking about China or the US? Don’t really care about China.

There will be repercussions. And we will feel them.

Maybe it's just going to be trivial stuff, like "I can't buy my favorite Old Navy flip-flops because they were made in China and I have to wait a couple of months before they're available."

Or maybe it's going to be life-shattering stuff, like someone I love can't get a simple penicillin prescription filled, so they die of a treatable illness.

Or maybe it's going to be world-altering stuff, like people rioting in the streets because they don't have food.

Right now, it's all speculation. I'll leave the actual forecasting to the experts.

But no matter what level of impact we feel, what do you think will be the response of most sidewalkers who have lived cushy lives up to this point? How much resilience and creativity will they be able to muster up in the face of this situation? They'll be practically howling for someone to rescue them.

see in bold

Rivoli

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Jun 4, 2018
I’m so sick of idiots saying “THE VIRUS WILL BE SO MUCH WORSE IN THE US BECAUSE WE CANT QUARANTINE 90 MILLION PEOPLE LIKE CHINA!!!” Or hinting a dictatorship would have an edge over a democracy in situation like this.

It’s complete bullshit.

We actually have China’s authoritarian regime to thanks for this huge spread. If they had free speech, maybe instead of jailing the initial whistle blowers, China could have dealt with a tiny outbreak in Wuhan.

This is China’s fault. Now the US has had a HUGE warning and heads up, and if Ebola in 2014 is any signal when a modern western democracy has a warning (thanks to free speech) they usually win pretty easily.

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
I wish the fear mongers would cover the 3000+ people killed by drunk drivers everyday worldwide. But that wouldn’t be nearly as exciting as the COVID 19!

What a great first post! Welcome to the forum.

Thoelt53

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Dec 8, 2016
Boston, MA
The difference with this virus is that there is a chance (hopefully shrinking), that every single person in the US will get it. It is also currently believed to be 34x more deadly than the flu (0.1 vs 3.4% mortality). This would mean that every single person has to roll the dice, and has a 3% of dying. *That* is getting people's attention.

We can imagine avoiding drunk-drivers, but its hard to imagine avoiding something that is super-contagious. Even if you are vigilant, are your loved ones, and their friends? Probably not. I think the one thing that is containing this virus, if it is being contained, is the paranoia about it. China, to their credit, probably did save a lot of lives by locking down their cities.
“This is where the Diamond Princess data provides important insight. Of the 3,711 people on board, at least 705 have tested positive for the virus (which, considering the confines, conditions, and how contagious this virus appears to be, is surprisingly low). Of those, more than half are asymptomatic, while very few asymptomatic people were detected in China. This alone suggests a halving of the virus’s true fatality rate.

On the Diamond Princess, six deaths have occurred among the passengers, constituting a case fatality rate of 0.85 percent. Unlike the data from China and elsewhere, where sorting out why a patient died is extremely difficult, we can assume that these are excess fatalities—they wouldn’t have occurred but for SARS-CoV-2. The most important insight is that all six fatalities occurred in patients who are more than 70 years old. Not a single Diamond Princess patient under age 70 has died. If the numbers from reports out of China had held, the expected number of deaths in those under 70 should have been around four.”

-Dr. Jeremy Samuel Faust, emergency medicine physician at Brigham and Women’s Hospital.

Rivoli

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Jun 4, 2018
“This is where the Diamond Princess data provides important insight. Of the 3,711 people on board, at least 705 have tested positive for the virus (which, considering the confines, conditions, and how contagious this virus appears to be, is surprisingly low). Of those, more than half are asymptomatic, while very few asymptomatic people were detected in China. This alone suggests a halving of the virus’s true fatality rate.

On the Diamond Princess, six deaths have occurred among the passengers, constituting a case fatality rate of 0.85 percent. Unlike the data from China and elsewhere, where sorting out why a patient died is extremely difficult, we can assume that these are excess fatalities—they wouldn’t have occurred but for SARS-CoV-2. The most important insight is that all six fatalities occurred in patients who are more than 70 years old. Not a single Diamond Princess patient under age 70 has died. If the numbers from reports out of China had held, the expected number of deaths in those under 70 should have been around four.”

-Dr. Jeremy Samuel Faust, emergency medicine physician at Brigham and Women’s Hospital.

That doesn’t drive the news cycle, so will be ignored

Sander

When in doubt, dare.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
323%
Mar 19, 2014
The Danish government have now said, that events with more than 1,000 people should be cancelled. Sport events, music events, and even X-factor is playing without spectators from this evening.

Yesterday a former pro soccer player was confirmed infected. He was at a pro match this weekend, saying hello to former teammates etc. Now some players and coaches from his former team are in quarantine.

In good news, the first infected Dane is now healthy again.

George Costanza

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Feb 18, 2019
Israel
While it's a nothing burger, it seems like countries are dealing with it so badly
and not just china shutting people down at the start,
US not taking WHO's test kits and trying to make their own (and F*cked it up), While Korea already tested 100k+ people drive-through style
Mike Pence who is supposed to be in charge of the virus... praying with his crew?
UK's Boris Johnson shaking hands with corona patients

It's hilariously stupid, and will make this virus more serious that it should have been

Rivoli

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Jun 4, 2018

BlindSide

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
204%
Mar 16, 2017
Los Angeles
What’s a nothing burger? 1000s of people are dying, and this started just a few months ago.

In case you don’t get it - it’s a nothing burger to YOU because you or your family have not been affected. Peoples loved ones are dying from something that didn’t even exist a few months ago.

What a self centered comment. And yes, I say the same thing for the flu, obesity, etc etc which is why I take care of my health.

Rivoli

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Jun 4, 2018
What’s a nothing burger? 1000s of people are dying, and this started just a few months ago.

In case you don’t get it - it’s a nothing burger to YOU because you or your family have not been affected. Peoples loved ones are dying from something that didn’t even exist a few months ago.

What a self centered comment. And yes, I say the same thing for the flu, obesity, etc etc which is why I take care of my health.

By nothingburger I mean its literally less important then the common flu. People that are panicking and emptying costco’s shelves are misguided

MTEE1985

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
425%
Jun 12, 2018
Arizona
I keep seeing memes on instagram about how the coronavirus is a nothingburger (it is)

I also source my news from Instagram memes and was comforted by this.

Thoelt53

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Dec 8, 2016
Boston, MA
By nothingburger I mean its literally less important then the common flu. People that are panicking and emptying costco’s shelves are misguided
It’s good to be prepared at all times anyhow. Especially when the media fear monger machine kicks into overdrive and people start emptying shelves. If there ever is a real problem you’ll be you had some stock piles of necessities.

The best part is there is no need to panic over just about anything so long as you are prepared.

There are a few different camps of thought flying around in this thread. While this virus looking like a “nothingburger,” the fact still stands that it pays dividends to be ready for a disaster. There’s no need for people to throw around harsh words and unnecessary criticism toward those who choose to prepare.

It’s also a fact that many have died and many more will die. While the majority of the people on this forum will survive due to their age and wellness, I image quite a few will lose older loved ones to this virus over the next couple years.

Rivoli

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Jun 4, 2018
I also source my news from Instagram memes and was comforted by this.

lol. I didn’t say I got my news from Instagram. I’m saying I get a feel for general sentiment from what the most popular pages are trending. For example this was posted on a page with 5.5 million followers. Boomers ITT might not get it but it’s really to seee what millennials are thinking based on what goes on on Instagram.

my point was most millennials think it’s overblown

the virus is obviously not that dangerous compared to the flu and and the real damage that can happen is psychologically - and it seems like most people aren’t that worried

Attachments

• 8EBC144D-1CA2-4C15-B728-BDDEAA0D2A1E.jpeg
    8EBC144D-1CA2-4C15-B728-BDDEAA0D2A1E.jpeg
    279.3 KB · Views: 11

Gediger

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Jun 27, 2019

The point that I’m getting at is all about the media and not so much the coronavirus. Why is it that something like the coronavirus/mass killings garners so much attention when there are thousands of people killed everyday from very preventable incidents. You’re lucky if it even makes the local news. It seems that mass hysteria the name of the game.

• nikita •

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
270%
Aug 24, 2017
London
I am not worried about the virus or getting it. But I'm angry that my travel plans might go to shit if they cancel my flights and hotels. I really don't like being here during the summer and need to get away every few months.

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
literally less important then the common flu

Literally no expert has come close to saying this to my knowledge.

In fact, they are all basically saying precisely the opposite. In fact your own video states that this is up to 10x worse than the flu (0.1 for flu, up to 1% for corona)

It's totally okay to feel that this is overblown but calling it "nothing" and "less important than the common flu" is baseless ignorance.

I don't mean this as a personal attack - it's just factually incorrect.

Rivoli

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Jun 4, 2018
Literally no expert has come close to saying this to my knowledge.

In fact, they are all basically saying precisely the opposite. In fact your own video states that this is up to 10x worse than the flu (0.1 for flu, up to 1% for corona)

It's totally okay to feel that this is overblown but calling it "nothing" and "less important than the common flu" is baseless ignorance.

I don't mean this as a personal attack - it's just factually incorrect.

Flu is operating at a huge scale. You can argue that C0VlD-19 will get to that same scale. But that is a huge assumption.

GIlman

Still Gilman
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
604%
Oct 16, 2014
the virus is obviously not that dangerous compared to the flu and and the real damage that can happen is psychologically - and it seems like most people aren’t that worried

This virus is certainly more dangerous than the flu. you are confusing prevalence with lethality.

right now the flu is much more prevalent than Coronavirus, but it is also much less lethal. However the prevalence of Coronavirus has been increasing, which if it reaches the levels of flu will have a death toll about 10x flu.

also, do you really care what millennials think about something like this? As a group they have no expertise or experience with healthcare or medical issues. Granted, it appears to impact them less than older people, but its hugely naive to assume that they will not be impacted if it continues to spread.

my parents are in their early 70’s, I would hate to lose them, even though the relative risk to me is small.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.