The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The Worldwide C0VlD-19 Coronavirus Pandemic Discussion Thread...

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Correct, specialized in emergency radiology. If you get a CT in the ER Someone like me is reading it.

Side bar, my uncle was one of the foremost radiologists in the USA. I bet you know him or know of him. I miss that old guy, especially for questions like this.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Also, thanks to everyone on here that sou dedicated the alarms. Prepared myself for atleast 2 to 3 months. Going out now to get another 3-6 months worth of supplies . Better to be prepared and have extra, than the alternative.

zero downside

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

NateKruse

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
294%
Jan 13, 2018
Jacksonville, North Carolina

knowledgebeast

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Sep 22, 2019
Yverdon-les-Bains, Switzerland
I'm in switzerland and in 4 days we went from the first case confirmed to 15, and we're still waiting on 19 test results. I'm starting to worry because people travel all the time between Switzerland and every neighbor european country, including northern Italy, France and Germany. I might start doing outdoor workouts, instead of the gym, because the possibility of yet undetected community infections in Switzerland seems very possible. If this is true ( View: https://twitter.com/MRC_Outbreak/status/1230881889419976705?s=20
), the number of infected people might be much higher than we think.

biggeemac

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jun 25, 2011
We provide caregiving services in our two (soon to be three) homes. Really, our only supply chain concern is medication. Its not possible to get 2-3 months of prescriptions, so we are a little concerned there. I did buy a large supply of food stuff, toiletries, and other items that we use to keep the houses sanitary. Overall, I am feeling confident in our ability to mitigate this thing until a vaccine is developed. We are continuing to discuss our procedures should it arrive in our community in semi-rural Oregon, since we live onsite at our place of business, have a large family of our own, and have employees.

.B.

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
202%
Jun 18, 2016
Belgium, Europe

Bekit

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Aug 13, 2018
We provide caregiving services in our two (soon to be three) homes. Really, our only supply chain concern is medication. Its not possible to get 2-3 months of prescriptions, so we are a little concerned there. I did buy a large supply of food stuff, toiletries, and other items that we use to keep the houses sanitary. Overall, I am feeling confident in our ability to mitigate this thing until a vaccine is developed. We are continuing to discuss our procedures should it arrive in our community in semi-rural Oregon, since we live onsite at our place of business, have a large family of our own, and have employees.
When I was in Haiti, you could just go down to the pharmacy and buy whatever drug you wanted. If they had it, they would fill it. There was no prescription barrier.

I wonder if you could get creative and temporarily source the meds you need from outside the US.

biggeemac

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jun 25, 2011
When I was in Haiti, you could just go down to the pharmacy and buy whatever drug you wanted. If they had it, they would fill it. There was no prescription barrier.

I wonder if you could get creative and temporarily source the meds you need from outside the US.
Heh, not a shot in hell. It is very heavily regulated/documented, and the government tracks how we distribute the prescriptions. I would be in some serious hot water if I ever did anything like that.

ShamanKing

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Aug 30, 2018
California
Oof. Stores around me are out of Masks.

LightningHelix

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Mar 26, 2015
Was shopping yesterday and noticed that there's already been a run on sanitizer and various cold/flu medications. Big brands were all out of stock and the generics looked like they were also starting to take a hit.

This is in the Ottawa suburbs. The closest confirmed case of this virus was a 5 hour drive away in Toronto (there's a new case in Montreal this morning but nobody knew about it at the time of my shopping trip).

The news last night kept throwing "supplies running out" stories for our city as well. The panic is setting in.

If your medicine cabinet and first aid kit isn't well stocked - you should be looking to do so now, even if you don't live anywhere close to a confirmed case.

This isn't about being a "prepper" by any stretch. This is about KNOWING there's going to be a very real supply problem on certain items and making sure you have what you need.

There is all kinds of speculation about how bad the virus itself is going to be, and whether or not you'll even be hit with it where you live - but that doesn't really matter. There is no doubt at all about how people are going to behave as panic rises. It's smart to get ahead of it.

Damn, so it's now in my backyard...

I guess it's time to start taking this more seriously...

Anybody have a list of supplies one should get? Food is obvious, masks if you can get them, Hand sanitizer. A first aid kit. Anything else?

loop101

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Mar 3, 2013

biggeemac

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jun 25, 2011
Someone suggested water purifiers. Might be irrational and foolish but electricity generators could be helpful if electricity supply breaks down (don't spend life savings for that lol)
There isn't a threat to water or electricity. Really the main concern is the supply chain. Anything you buy at a store could potentially be impacted in some kind of way. I am stocking up a couple months worth of stuff that we already use that has good shelf life, or something that I can store away to extend its shelf life in a refrigerator or freezer, or with a foodsaver. If things blow over and life returns to normal, then essentially I have just pre-purchased things that I will use anyway. If things go pretty bad, then I will be grateful that I made the investment. Win/Win

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Anything else?

IMHO, assume that at some point, for a non-defined period of time, you won't have access to a hospital for just about any reason.

To me, this is the "worst case scenario" here.

I don't necessarily mean catching the virus and needing help either - I mean even for your typical cuts, gashes, bumps, etc.

If hospitals become bogged down and run out of beds, staff become ill, service is stretched beyond their limits, doctors are overworked and exhausted, hospital supplies run out or get reduced, etc... then you need to assume help may not be there when you need it.

Also assume people will panic-buy the essentials to bunker down at home. This is in addition to supply chain problems already being discussed. Food, sure, but also consider things like toilet paper or feminine hygiene products. Things you don't really want to even try to live without.

While planning for water and power outage issues is good planning in general, they don't really apply in this particular crisis like they would in a hurricane or earthquake situation.

GIlman

Still Gilman
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
604%
Oct 16, 2014
Side bar, my uncle was one of the foremost radiologists in the USA. I bet you know him or know of him. I miss that old guy, especially for questions like this.

I might. It’s a small field. What was his name.

biggeemac

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jun 25, 2011
Oregon just announced their first case. It was a community transmission, and the individual has been spending time at an elementary school up near Portland. They don't know how the person was infected.

Edit.... sorry, "presumptive" case. Waiting for the test results from Atlanta to confirm the diagnosis.

GIlman

Still Gilman
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
604%
Oct 16, 2014
Oregon just announced their first case. It was a community transmission, and the individual has been spending time at an elementary school up near Portland. They don't know how the person was infected.

Edit.... sorry, "presumptive" case. Waiting for the test results from Atlanta to confirm the diagnosis.

This disease shares symptoms with way too many other things, especially early on. So be careful of any presumptive diagnosis. I’m aware of 2 presumptive cases that turned out to not be.

of course it could be positive, but the only way to know is a positive test. I would expect hundreds of cases to crop up in the next week in the US. Probably one or two big blooms. They will find one positive person then test around them and find a rash of more cases.

loop101

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Mar 3, 2013
I was going to post this in the BJJ thread, but I was afraid of turning it in to Coronavirus thread. I do expect MMA schools to see a slow-down during an outbreak/pandemic. It's hard to imagine someone signing up to learn grappling with all the COVID19 headlines right now. Any business that has a lot of close physical contact might have a tough time.

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
I was going to post this in the BJJ thread, but I was afraid of turning it in to Coronavirus thread. I do expect MMA schools to see a slow-down during an outbreak/pandemic. It's hard to imagine someone signing up to learn grappling with all the COVID19 headlines right now. Any business that has a lot of close physical contact might have a tough time.

I had a roll last night it was mad.

I will try get another couple in before this shit gets worse.

All sports will be effected, especially contact sports.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
From a friend here in Ireland working for a business that’s pretty tight-fisted and draconian about people NOT working from home:

“Our work place in the next 4 weeks will be distributing 800 laptops for people to work from home. This is in preparation for any state announcement in light of a pandemic being announced.”

Madame Peccato

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
311%
Jul 14, 2018
Morbegno, Italy
Here in Italy we are re-opening schools. The same goes for museums, bars, cinemas, and every other aggregation place.

Take this information as you will.

Sorry, rectifying this information that I got wrong. Schools will still be closed until the 7th of march, but everything else stays open.

Museums are open (although only small groups are allowed to enter at a time) and it is even free to visit them for the next few days. Theoretically, this is also supposed to be enforced in other places, but I haven't seen anyone respect this. Italians.

I don't know of any other limitation for any other public place at the moment.

I live in Lombardy (the region with the most cases, with around 500 infected people, although my specific area only had a couple of them) and life is going on regularly, aside from schools being closed. Oh and shops managed by Chinese people are closed because of their voluntary quarantine, but nobody forced them to.

Other than schools being closed, life is going on regularly. For now.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Interesting info on one of the passengers from the cruise ship who picked it up, also reveals how he was handled upon entering the US.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.