The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The Worldwide C0VlD-19 Coronavirus Pandemic Discussion Thread...

ChickenHawk

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
468%
Aug 16, 2012
Butt in Chair
The virus is hitting so hard Italy! They didn't find the case 0 yet so the current situation is gonna be way worse next days!
I'm lucky that I live in an island and currently we have zero cases but as an italian I really don't know what to do, people are in panic mode here!
In your opinion, could it be an option to just run away let's say in Iceland?
Man, yeah. It's a bad day to be in Italy today. I was sorry to see that news. When you say that people are in panic mode, what are you seeing?

About Iceland, I wasn't sure if that was a serious question, but I'll toss out some thoughts, anyway. How would you get there? Would you be risking more contact with infected people just by making the trip? And how long could you afford to stay? Because you're from Italy (a country with known infections) would you be welcomed in a different country? Or treated with suspicion and hostility by the locals? Depending on the answers, you might be safest staying put. An Island...I'm almost jealous!

If things get worse, I could see a situation where travel becomes increasingly more difficult. Would you rather be stranded on your island? Or in a foreign country, no matter how nice?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
D

Deleted74396

I spent all of 2019 wanting to die and expecting to not make it to 2020. Now I just want to live. I want to live in a way I haven't wanted to for years.

I'm so scared of this thing! I have control of my mental health and I want to be here for 2021 and beyond so bad.

Last edited by a moderator:

ChickenHawk

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
468%
Aug 16, 2012
Butt in Chair
I spent all of 2019 wanting to die and expecting to not make it to 2020. Now I just want to live. I want to live in a way I haven't wanted to for years.

I'm so scared of this thing! I have control of my mental health and I want to be here for 2021 and beyond so bad, but when buying food is itself a struggle I can't afford to prep at all

I'm sorry to hear about your awful 2019. Maybe the events of 2020 are a wakeup call. It's awesome you want to live. Fear not. As far as prepping, you can do a lot on relatively little money. Beans, rice, water. Even Ramon. You can buy large quantities in bulk and hunker down if you need to. Hopefully it won't be necessary, but it's good to have at least a little something on hand, just in case.

Sending lots of positive thoughts your way!

Antti

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
169%
Dec 21, 2017
Finland
In your opinion, could it be an option to just run away let's say in Iceland?

I think it would be better to go somewhere warmer. I read somewhere that when temperature gets above 30 celsius viruses don’t survive so well. I’m not sure if that’s true or not but it sure feels like that here in Thailand. By logic, it should already be an epidemic but it just doesn’t seem to spred here. No one even bothers to wear masks here except in Bangkok were some people always do. Maybe this is just calm before the storm, who knows..

loop101

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Mar 3, 2013
The best way to survive completely alone, is probably on a sailboat. You get water from the rain, and food from the sea. No predators. No vermin. People can live comfortably on sailboats for many months without seeing another soul. People have been doing it for thousands of years.

loop101

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Mar 3, 2013
The "serpentza" channel on YT should be interesting during this outbreak. He was an IT worker in South Africa who basically fled SA and went to China, where he worked as an English tutor, and married a Chinese doctor. I think he is now in the USA, but is making some videos about what is going on back in China. He has a ton of contacts and speaks Chinese fluently, so he has access to real information.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkF4qYdNU9Y

AlessandroD

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
109%
Feb 20, 2020
Italy
I live in Italy, 1 case close to me (Piedmont) and I'm pretty close to Lombardy (around 50), the competent authorities are working hard to isolate the cities involved, people in other cities act normally so far.

It seems that the patient zero hasn't been infected at all (maybe is not him), anyhow we still don't know all facts about this virus and therefore there are good chance that it will be spread again.

Said that, there are far more people that recovered (23000 and more) than deaths (2400+), the C0VlD-19 mortality rate is around 2%, the normal influence is below 1% (400000 each year), again the aged people with previous issues are the most hitted. Some quick math in the official site and the mortality rate go up to 5% but surely there are cases not confirmed yet (especially in China).

When the people stop to think and react like movies (panic) the situation can only get worse, if your city will be isolated you will receive all supply needed, this is not a zombie apocalypse.
And if everything collapse around you, better you learn how to became a farmer :playful:

Edit: forget to add, all my respect to the medical personnel that are putting themselves in danger for other people.

Last edited:

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
If this intensifies (as it looks like it is starting to do) NOW is the time to start preparing. When the shit hits the fan, you won't be able to buy supplies. If you ever seen Flordia pre-hurricane, the stores are shit-shows. This would probably be the same.

I've spent the better part of the day stocking up on necessities; propane, gas, food stuffs with long shelf-life,water filters, ammunition, basic "prepper" kind of stuff. Even if nothing happens with this outbreak, it never hurts to have this stuff anyway. You never know if you might need to lock yourself up for 3 months.

I know I wont regret doing it (probably overreacting) but its possible I might regret it if I didn't. Can't hurt to take some mild precautions.

The last place I want to be in an emergency is at a store. Things could get harry.

MJ One of the things that surprised me during the lead up to hurricane Irma in Florida was gas cans. Before gas shortages happened, containers to store gas sold out everywhere. I’m not suggesting you buy gas right now, but I would suggest anyone interested in preparation by some gas cans and just keep them on standby. Gas is another one of those things that you never regret purchasing because you can always use it. If you buy it and store it just throw some stabil stabilizer in there.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast

NovaAria

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
286%
Jul 18, 2018
This is what pisses me off so much.
I guarantee you, they KNOW that it is going to spread, they know that there will be many dead and many more infected and their immune systems compromised. But they cant say anything because they have to keep a straight face or else everyone will panic rush stores and banks.
The Tuscany governor in Italy said that "It would be fascist to talk about quarantines". Talking about banning travel from China would be bad for the economy and our relationship with the CCP, so let's praise their effort to contain info leakers and call it "A swift reaction to the Corona Outbreak" instead.
I bet you that half the government and CDC officials who are out there calming people's fears are also stocking up on food and gear. They would rather sacrifice some lives and hope that the controls in place will be enough, than let the markets tank.
It will be interesting to watch the opening Asian markets tonight, anyway.

Serito

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
190%
Dec 24, 2013
I live in Italy, 1 case close to me (Piedmont) and I'm pretty close to Lombardy (around 50), the competent authorities are working hard to isolate the cities involved, people in other cities act normally so far.

It seems that the patient zero hasn't been infected at all (maybe is not him), anyhow we still don't know all facts about this virus and therefore there are good chance that it will be spread again.

Said that, there are far more people that recovered (23000 and more) than deaths (2400+), the C0VlD-19 mortality rate is around 2%, the normal influence is below 1% (400000 each year), again the aged people with previous issues are the most hitted. Some quick math in the official site and the mortality rate go up to 5% but surely there are cases not confirmed yet (especially in China).

When the people stop to think and react like movies (panic) the situation can only get worse, if your city will be isolated you will receive all supply needed, this is not a zombie apocalypse.
And if everything collapse around you, better you learn how to became a farmer :playful:

Edit: forget to add, all my respect to the medical personnel that are putting themselves in danger for other people.

I live in Lombardy, 60 km from the epicentre of the virus in Italy. This is what the supermarkets look like right now:

People react in very different ways, some with panic, some others with anger because of the limitations the authorities are imposing. This was unthinkable only three days ago...

RealDreams

Silver Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jun 22, 2018
I live in Lombardy, 60 km from the epicentre of the virus in Italy. This is what the supermarkets look like right now:

View attachment 30655

People react in very different ways, some with panic, some others with anger because of the limitations the authorities are imposing. This was unthinkable only three days ago...
Ed è solo l'inizio...

AlessandroD

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
109%
Feb 20, 2020
Italy

View attachment 30655

Yes and it will be worse, but we need to accept it. Panic and anger are useless, understand what is the C0VlD-19 is the best thing we can do for us and our families.
Handle situations like this is not easy at all and go against the authority is silly, this is not the right time for the trials.
This is not the end of the world.

For the rest, take care and best wishes!

pmaloneus

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Dec 3, 2017
US
MJ One of the things that surprised me during the lead up to hurricane Irma in Florida was gas cans. Before gas shortages happened, containers to store gas sold out everywhere. I’m not suggesting you buy gas right now, but I would suggest anyone interested in preparation by some gas cans and just keep them on standby. Gas is another one of those things that you never regret purchasing because you can always use it. If you buy it and store it just throw some stabil stabilizer in there.
Could you clarify what stabil stabilizer is and where to get it?

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast

if you plan to store gas in gas cans, you want to add in an additive that performs the function of a fuel stabilizer for gasoline storage. Typically any auto parts store or Walmart will have a fuel stabilizer additive.

loop101

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Mar 3, 2013
If anyone needs dental care, NOW would be the time to get it.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
The stock futures are down nearly 2%, not a good sign. Also starting to see articles about global shipping being disrupted.

Now is the time to stock up if you can. If there's a mad rush, you don't want to be doing it when this hits the general populous. If there is some type of emergency situation announcement made, it will then be too late.

if you plan to store gas in gas cans, you want to add in an additive that performs the function of a fuel stabilizer for gasoline storage. Typically any auto parts store or Walmart will have a fuel stabilizer additive.

Any Walmart or Autoparts store.

Another good item to have on hand would be a fuel siphoner. If you have a gas-powered generator, your car's gas tank can serve as a great storage device. Obviously a generator would only be needed if the electricity goes out. However if the folks who work at the power station's start staying home, not sure how long power would remain on.

Bare minimum, start stocking up on goods with a long shelf life. I'm ready for about 6 months, 12 months if well rationed, stuff I would use normally so there will be no waste.

Again, I'm probably overreacting (97% sure) but I'm someone who likes to mitigate that 3%. I also have zero trust in authority, American, Chinese, CDC, or otherwise.

I'm also terrible in crowds. If there's a run on supplies, it's the last place I want to be. You won't be able to park, much less get in the store to buy stuff.

I've also been told that masks are useless... like using a chain-link fence to filter a bb gun pellet. The virus is too small -- the only protection is full hazmat. (The ones that we've seen the Chinese using) This came from several MDs in my peer circle, not sure if that's true, or disinformation.

traction2

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Feb 2, 2020
I still feel this is way overblown by the media and it is not even anywhere near the numbers of common flu. I keep hearing that 10,000 Americans have already died from the flu this year and yet the media doesn't mention this as it doesn't invoke the same excitement.

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
I still feel this is way overblown by the media and it is not even anywhere near the numbers of common flu. I keep hearing that 10,000 Americans have already died from the flu this year and yet the media doesn't mention this as it doesn't invoke the same excitement.

Stop with this disinformation. You're either a paid shill or grossly misinformed. Either way, stop.

Fatality rates are at least 20x the flu, with an R0 that is 4x higher. This isn't even in the same ballpark as the flu.

Worse yet, the commies don't shut down 9% of their entire economy over a flu.

loop101

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Mar 3, 2013

Yep. When they shut down the factories is when I realized the Chinese government perceived it as a threat to - the Chinese government.

sthubbar

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Oct 19, 2015
Fellow entrepreneurs,

I have lived in Chine since 2006 and the educated people here have been following this situation closely and sharing information continuously. The world will be unable to control this virus. China is using draconian measures to control the situation and only barely able to keep a handle on it. Few other nations would even dare try and do 10% of what is being done here.

Furthermore, the math does not lie. A great website, which I encourage others to support whoever put this together is COVID19info.live. Check out this straight line exponential increase of global cases.

This is exponential. Every 20 days it increases 10x. So here is how it is going to pan out:

February 22 - 1,677
March 15 - 16,770
April 4 - 167,700
April 24 - 1,677,000

The fatality rate is nowhere near the 1-2% being shared around. The WHO is working with China to hide what is really going on. Don't be surprised if there is a 10% fatality rate.

Last edited:

traction2

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Feb 2, 2020
Stop with this disinformation. You're either a paid shill or grossly misinformed. Either way, stop.

Fatality rates are at least 20x the flu, with an R0 that is 4x higher. This isn't even in the same ballpark as the flu.

Total deaths is what I mentioned.

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore

loop101

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Mar 3, 2013

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
I've also been told that masks are useless... like using a chain-link fence to filter a bb gun pellet. The virus is too small -- the only protection is full hazmat. (The ones that we've seen the Chinese using) This came from several MDs in my peer circle, not sure if that's true, or disinformation.
Haha so we'd all have to go full-on doomsday prepper with the hazmat?
Well, there's some truth in it, as the typical N95 only blocks out 95% of the particles.
So the regular mask is not a 100% fix.

Also, there's the question of how we use and dispose the masks.
Do we enter our home, and toss the contaminated mask in the bin, but we somehow spread the virus all over the place?
Do we somehow try to reuse the mask, since it's harder to resupply?

Unfortunately, I've seen very few official guidelines on these.

I'm not ruling out the possibility of turning my doorway into a decontamination chamber of some sorts lol.

Envision

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
779%
May 5, 2014

How likely is this to happen?

Many factories are going back to work at a fraction of their operating capacity. They don't have a choice considering they have businesses that are dependent on them and vice versa and the government is working on signing off approvals.

I dont know if the time frame and stats are accurate but I can't see how this wont impact their economy and our economy in the coming months. Its not if, its when. The magnitude depends on how well we all work together to keep the machine rolling - not letting fear control decisions, not letting scarcity creep in.

Technically, if we all can contain the virus (if) and fear doesn't creep into business decisions everything should pick back up - if those factors are impacted it's inevitable that it will be bad.

sthubbar

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Oct 19, 2015

N95 masks are effective.

CDC
  • What is an N95 filtering facepiece respirator (FFR)?
    1. An N95 FFR is a type of respirator which removes particles from the air that are breathed through it. These respirators filter out at least 95% of very small (0.3 micron) particles. N95 FFRs are capable of filtering out all types of particles, including bacteria and viruses.
Viable Viral Efficiency of N95 and P100 Respirator Filters at Constant and Cyclic Flow

All N95 and P100 FFR and cartridge models assessed in this study, therefore, met or exceeded their respective efficiency ratings of 95 and 99.97% against the viable MS2 test aerosol, even under the very high flow conditions. These NIOSH-approved FFRs and particulate respirators equipped with these cartridges can be anticipated to achieve expected levels of protection (consistent with their assigned protection factor) against airborne viral agents, provided that they are properly selected, fitted, worn, and maintained.

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
Also, there's the question of how we use and dispose the masks. Do we enter our home, and toss the contaminated mask in the bin, but we somehow spread the virus all over the place? Do we somehow try to reuse the mask, since it's harder to resupply?
Unfortunately, I've seen very few official guidelines on these.

Personally, when taking the mask off, I pull it off from one side and use only one hand, then dispose the thing in the bin before I go up my apartment.

For re-using the mask, one method I've seen is to hang it somewhere sunny in direct sunlight to kill the virus since it's been said the sunlight's UV rays cracks the "body" of the virus making it unable to properly function. That's your best bet if you need to reuse the mask.

Anyway, I feel the situation is pretty good in Malaysia; if things go as it does, S.E. Asia has little to worry about. For our case, we underestimated the virus initially but looking at stats over the past few days, things are well under control for now and I hope it stays that way. I still believe that the hot weather here in SE Asia, while it doesn't stop the virus completely, is able to minimize/reduce its damage. The countries with the crazy rates these few days (Italy, S-Korea) are all having cold af temperatures.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.