The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The Worldwide C0VlD-19 Coronavirus Pandemic Discussion Thread...

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Delete my comment if it's too politicized, but holy shit.

It can stay. Rush's commentary is grossly irresponsible.

And we know what China did when they faced the outbreak, China don't do that for a common flu!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

• nikita •

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
270%
Aug 24, 2017
London
I find it funny that all the talk was on climate change and how its going to wipe us out and then a little vrius snuck along and the world has shat its pants.

I'm still living my life as normal. I went to the gym today and there was hardly anybody on the machines. It was F*cking great.

Tbh I'm happy there's finally less talk of climate change and Greta's face on my TV.

My gym is also empty and I LOVE IT. Our gym sent us an email that they're not closing. The streets are empty, less children getting in my way when I'm on my morning walk, it's good. Okay obviously the cause it's that good but let me enjoy this silver lining.

LOL reading that back I think I need to self-isolate for other reasons than coronavirus

loop101

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Mar 3, 2013
This thread is like a time capsule, evolving in real time.

In one month and in the months ahead, it will be fascinating what was said here now, as compared to understanding how things unfold in reality.

Hindsight vision will still be muddy, but while taking advantage of a crisis, the US National government will be seen as opportunists and action-fakers, while the local governments like in WA and NY will be seen as action-takers.

NY is acting weird.

They are keeping their schools open, and they are telling people to assume they are already exposed.

nowap

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
221%
Jan 24, 2020

Check out the full citation. One is of particular interest, Shi ZL aka Shi Zhengli, Key Laboratory of Special Pathogens and Biosafety, Wuhan Institute of Virology, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Wuhan, China.

She worked with researchers at Chapel Hill where they created a chimeric virus to study in their lab.

Shi has been more recently working back in Wuhan and around China on bat hunting expeditions.

Chinese media and the people of Wuhan have accused her of having involvement in the release of SARS-CoV-2. She swears on her life that her lab had nothing to do with it.

It’s not too far fetched to consider that someone working in the lab became infected and introduced the virus to the seafood market.

I’m not saying that this is the truth by any means. But it’s certainly stranger than fiction.

What about this...

On the website of the Wuhan Lab itself:

"Using the SARS-CoV reverse genetics system, the scientists generated and characterized a chimeric virus expressing the spike of bat coronavirus SHC014 in a mouse-adapted SARS-CoV backbone"

According to Wikipedia, 'chimeric virus' is a "new hybrid microorganism created by joining nucleic acid fragments from two or more different microorganisms in which each of at least two of the fragments contain essential genes necessary for replication"

The same wiki page suggests this is often done to create bio weapons.

The above mentioned Wuhan lab website page ends with

"On the basis of these findings, they synthetically re-derived an infectious full-length SHC014 recombinant virus and demonstrate robust viral replication both in vitro and in vivo. The work suggests a potential risk of SARS-CoV re-emergence from viruses currently circulating in bat populations. "

Research? Bio weapon development?

This info, and the location of the outbreak, and the initial attempted cover-up, and the following all-out containment measures all make it highly likely it escaped from this lab - and they knew very well what they were dealing with.

edit: the English text on the Wuhan lab website is the summary of the following study. More in-depth info can be found there: SARS-like cluster of circulating bat coronavirus pose threat for human emergence

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Point of Information:

In times like these when information is unknown, sketchy, unverifiable, and a lot of speculation, all you can do is FACTUALLY OBSERVE what is happening, and use that to make decisions.

This is why I prepped 4 weeks ago. This is why I stocked up on ammo and got 3 more weapons. This is why I was ready before the media started addressing it.

But here are the facts:

First: China's reaction to this virus was unimaginable, like straight out of an apocalyptic movie. Lock downs, full hazmat gear, quarantines, medical shanty towns ... THAT IS A FACT. From that fact, you can DEDUCE that they know the origin, threat, and likely epidemiology that his virus poses.

Second.

Trillions of dollars are at stake.

Major, billion/trillion dollar industries have gone on hiatus.

You simply don't do that for a flu. For a minor threat. Not when you stand to lose billions. To put it medically, industry knows that this can destroy the patient (the worldwide economy) if they don't address it, so they've decided to amputate a leg (a few months of industry) in order to stave it off.

Again, in life, if you really want to gauge the severity of something (or lack of severity) all you need to do is follow the money. Money is telegraphing that this is BIG, from the markets, to the shutdowns.

I don't care about pro sports -- but it was a big indicator, another datapoint to analyze. And it also made it REAL for the generally uninformed.

I hope the money flow is wrong and that yes, this is a nothing burger. The world's countermeasures perhaps can make that more likely. I hold hope as it seems to be a worldwide effort.

I stopped going to the gym 4 weeks ago. I've gained 6 pounds. I've never done well with the flu, this thing I don't want to get.

I miss a lot when I am gone from here for a day or two, but this post is likely the most salient observation I have ever read on this subject.

becks22

90% coffee, 10% everything else
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
271%
Jul 6, 2016
Upstate NY
NY is acting weird.

They are keeping their schools open, and they are telling people to assume they are already exposed.

It's the NYC School System. Every school by me from the Adirondacks down to the Westchester border all have closed. It's a case by case basis and the NYC School District is unfortunately much more politicized then all the other school districts in New York State. The mandatory 180 day school year was cancelled so they could close schools if they wanted to, I'm really not sure why they haven't.

Thoelt53

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Dec 8, 2016
Boston, MA
It's the NYC School System. Every school by me from the Adirondacks down to the Westchester border all have closed. It's a case by case basis and the NYC School District is unfortunately much more politicized then all the other school districts in New York State. The mandatory 180 day school year was cancelled so they could close schools if they wanted to, I'm really not sure why they haven't.
Supposedly keeping the kids home will put too much weight on nurses and doctors who would need to stay home with the kids.

Hopefully people are smart and keep their kids home anyway. If the nurses and doctors need to send their kids to government daycare, let them. Nurses and doctors are generally smart people. I’m sure they’d figure out a solution without NYC’s involvement.

Rivoli

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Jun 4, 2018
Orange County, California
Because a lot of nurses have kids in the school system
who will watch them if they close schools

MoneyDoc

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
273%
Jun 24, 2014
I need to take a break from this thread... some people are posting ridiculous things. Not that you don't have a right to free speech, but some people are making this whole Corona situation very hard mentally. Just another repeat of SARs. People not listening to the experts but jumping to random conclusions. Half the people speaking don't even own a business. If you're an employee, you have WAY more benefits than an entrepreneur in cases like these. My sales have been cut 60-70%. My expenses are over $10k/month. I can't afford to add additional mental stress than what this unnecessary panic has already caused.

I need to focus on my business and I need to focus on new opportunities because there currently is a bunch. People won't forget this pandemic which leads to so many new opportunities in industries like supplements, eco-friendly hygiene, etc.

To my entrepreneur friends, hang in there. I'll see you within a month or so.

Thoelt53

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Dec 8, 2016
Boston, MA
Some comic relief:

Today at Walgreens I overheard a guy on the phone observing the toilet paper mayhem refer to the pandemic as “asswipe flu.”

:rofl:

becks22

90% coffee, 10% everything else
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
271%
Jul 6, 2016
Upstate NY
^^ There are nurses and doctors who have kids everywhere. Although I understand that reasoning, it really isn't a good reason to not shut down schools.

Last edited:

Rabby

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
319%
Aug 26, 2018
Florida
This thread is like a time capsule, evolving in real time.

In one month and in the months ahead, it will be fascinating what was said here now, as compared to understanding how things unfold in reality.

Hindsight vision will still be muddy, but while taking advantage of a crisis, the US National government will be seen as opportunists and action-fakers, while the local governments like in WA and NY will be seen as action-takers.

Naa. The central government will do what central governments do best. It will try to pass laws or create unelected departments that restrict individual freedom and centralize power. When the problem they were supposedly addressing passes, the legislation will stay. Quote me on that when it's time for hind-sight. They'll find something.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.

Rabby

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
319%
Aug 26, 2018
Florida
Effing Selfish Opportunist US Leadership
Germany tries to stop US from luring away firm seeking coronavirus vaccine
bla bla "capitalism has its limits"

The other really sickening thing in that quote is the "capitalism has its limits." Governments have given themselves, or others, monopolies on valuable resources for aeons. It predates the Roman Empire. Why are we calling that capitalism? Government monopolists are somehow the equivalent of fair exchange between individuals who have property rights in a free market? This has nothing to do with that.

Rabby

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
319%
Aug 26, 2018
Florida

Check out the full citation. One is of particular interest, Shi ZL aka Shi Zhengli, Key Laboratory of Special Pathogens and Biosafety, Wuhan Institute of Virology, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Wuhan, China.

She worked with researchers at Chapel Hill where they created a chimeric virus to study in their lab.

Shi has been more recently working back in Wuhan and around China on bat hunting expeditions.

Chinese media and the people of Wuhan have accused her of having involvement in the release of SARS-CoV-2. She swears on her life that her lab had nothing to do with it.

It’s not too far fetched to consider that someone working in the lab became infected and introduced the virus to the seafood market.

I’m not saying that this is the truth by any means. But it’s certainly stranger than fiction.

So is the story that they accidentally released something while doing medical research, or that they were working on bio weapons? The article I balked at implied that these people were trying to help their government commit genocide. While I am conscientious enough to not rule things out entirely, it seems a lot more likely these are normal medical researchers trying to address real problems in their countries. Nothing in the narrative suggests intent to murder millions of people; rather, it suggests medical researchers working on vaccinations to save people.

GIlman

Still Gilman
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
605%
Oct 16, 2014
Can you explain a bit further/provide a source? I care about these people, so leaving it open-ended like that leaves me at unease. I’m still trying to understand what is qualified as “mild symptoms” for this. @GIlman would appreciate your input as well, and anyone else.

Yeah, this it's actually somewhat misleading how the symptoms have been classified, at least how the news is portraying it. The mild, severe, critical designations are from a report by the Chinese CDC that was released at the very end of February about their experience.

The classifications they had were

Mild = Did not require oxygen therapy
Severe = Required Oxygen Therapy (Nasal Cannula or FaceMask)
Critical = Required Intubation and Mechanical Ventilation (Breathing Tube) or ECHO (lung bypass machine connected directly to your blood vessels).

There really should have been 5 classifications, this is how I would have done it.

Mild = Illness that didn't cause people to significantly alter their daily life
Moderate = Illness that put people in bed, but didn't require hospitalization
Severe = Required hospitalization and oxygen therapy
Critical = Required intubation (breathing tube)
Intensive = Required ECHO (lung bypass machine)

From China, the numbers they reported were 80% mild, 15% severe, 5% critical. Even though there is an age skew, there have been many many many people 30-65 that have ended up in the hospital over this, meaning they required oxygen treatment for survival. Once in the hospital it's a crap shoot if you are going to get worse or better. Obviously there is an age skew, older people are more likely to get worse than younger, but it is impacting all ages.

Thoelt53

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Dec 8, 2016
Boston, MA
So is the story that they accidentally released something while doing medical research, or that they were working on bio weapons? The article I balked at implied that these people were trying to help their government commit genocide. While I am conscientious enough to not rule things out entirely, it seems a lot more likely these are normal medical researchers trying to address real problems in their countries. Nothing in the narrative suggests intent to murder millions of people; rather, it suggests medical researchers working on vaccinations to save people.
Who knows. I think it could go either way. Some researche work to make vaccines, others work to make weapons. Maybe some do both.

Regardless I think it was released accidentally. Which begins to make sense when you consider China’s immediate crushing response. They knew exactly what had happened.

There is no patient zero. I’m no expert, but from what I gather, that means patient zero didn’t contract the virus from the seafood market.

ramonorencio

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
202%
Jun 6, 2015
Maybe I’m exaggerating, but this to me is mind blowing.
This is the international terminal at O’Hare, people flying in from Europe.
I basically see this as a corona bomb our way.

https://abc7chicago.com/travel/C0Vl...-large-crowds-to-wait-hours-at-ohare/6014169/

msufan

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
202%
Mar 13, 2013
Federal Reserve slashes interest rates to 0%-0.25%. I almost want to by tons of properties just for the free money.

ecommercewolf

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
95%
Jan 8, 2019
Dallas, TX

ecommercewolf

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
95%
Jan 8, 2019
Dallas, TX
Maybe I’m exaggerating, but this to me is mind blowing.
This is the international terminal at O’Hare, people flying in from Europe.
I basically see this as a corona bomb our way.

https://abc7chicago.com/travel/C0Vl...-large-crowds-to-wait-hours-at-ohare/6014169/

Nope you have a point.

View: https://twitter.com/FOX4/status/1238970665182478337
same thing at DFW last night.

Shoulder to shoulder. At least 1 person in there has to have C0VlD-19

Bearcorp

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
237%
Jul 2, 2012
Australia
Victoria, second largest state population in Australia declared a State of Emergency.

biggeemac

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jun 25, 2011
Since we are clearly in relatively uncharted territory, Is there any reason to believe bank account deposits could be in danger?

Tossek

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
May 5, 2019
Germany
No doubt there will be a worldwide babyboom soon. If you're wondering what niche to sell, I'd go for babystuff now.
The Boomer 2 generation?
Generation C? Generation V?
Any other ideas?

FiftySeven

Sex. Power. World Domination.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
479%
Jan 18, 2015
LandoftheBlind where one-laser-eyed man is King
In times like these when information is unknown, sketchy, unverifiable, and a lot of speculation, all you can do is FACTUALLY OBSERVE what is happening, and use that to make decisions.

Good question, @MJ DeMarco !

When you prepped, did you include some communications gear?

Some may consider "radio" an old technology, although it is the exact same technology that continues to power cell phones, medical devices and even the internet.

This thread allows us to communicate worlwide, instantaneously, with almost "INSIDERS" information. What a great thing modern technology has brought us in the Internet!

But what if the internet goes down, even locally? Or cell service becomes unavailable as a Fastlaner is bugging out of town with significant other traveling behind in a separate vehicle? How would the two vehicles communicate?

What if you had a way garner "INSIDERS" information in order to make strategic decisions ahead of time, or had "INSIDERS" info to make tactical decisions during a natural disaster or SHTF?

What if you could "observe" nearby events, or worldwide events without needing to be on the scene or having to rely on local news media?

What if you could "prep" while simultaneously learning a new useful, saleable skill?

57's BE INFORMED and Beat the Wuhan Virus by Learning Ham Radio Thread

Thanks! ;)

'57

GIlman

Still Gilman
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
605%
Oct 16, 2014
FDIC will secure different types of accounts, each up to $250K. That's likely the safest place to put your money other than treasuries. I would avoid savings accounts, as I believe in a national emergency, banks can hold that money for some period of time before releasing. And I believe banks can make you submit requests for withdrawls during certain emergency situations as well.

All that said, unless the US government collapses, long-term your money should be pretty safe in a bank.

(Though I did take a whole lot of cash last week just in case.)

Years ago I got safety deposit box and dropped some cash in it, basically enough to survive on minimal funds for 6-12 months. Even if the counter at the bank closes, I should have access to hard cash if I need. This is assuming I can at least access my safety deposit box, which I would assume I should be able to since I’m not withdrawing money.

EDIT: I actually meant to move some of this cash or add to it with gold, I worry a lot about inflation or even the remote chance of loss in faith of the US dollar (it’s just paper after-all). I was a bit lazy and never got around to this. Something I need to remedy.

Last edited:

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
Since we are clearly in relatively uncharted territory, Is there any reason to believe bank account deposits could be in danger?

I don’t know about the US but the UK government guarantees £85,000 per bank. So wise people split their saving between institutions so as to be fully covered. Obviously if the whole government goes down as well you are screwed, but then money will be worthless by then anyway.

“All UK-regulated current or savings accounts and cash ISAs in banks, building societies and credit unions are covered by the Financial Services Compensation Scheme (FSCS). ... So if the bank fails, you'd get back up to £85,000 per person, per financial institution. The majority should get it within seven working days.”

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Nice day for golf. Too bad a lot of other people had the same idea. I might need a more expensive club. :rofl:

530382AF-0FC8-4C30-A10C-C47A886F4126.jpeg

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.