The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The Worldwide C0VlD-19 Coronavirus Pandemic Discussion Thread...

ChickenHawk

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
468%
Aug 16, 2012
Butt in Chair
I don't get why everyone's hoarding the hand sanitizer. Soap is better than sanitizer and that isn't sold out.
I think it's because it's easier to use on the go, or for those times when washing your hands isn't practical. For the last few weeks, I've been keeping hand sanitizer in my car. Whenever I leave a store, for example, I sanitize my hands immediately afterward.

And I'm washing my hands. A lot.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

.B.

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
202%
Jun 18, 2016
Belgium, Europe
I was on eBay looking for something else, but while there I looked at prices on Purell. The run there is pretty much OVER because now the prices are exorbitant, but when you look at the history of some of the listings it's pretty amazing what happened. The prices were insane.

In Florida where I live, since we are prone to national disaster scares annually, they have pretty strong anti-gouging measures they deploy when things heat up, including "rat on your neighbor" hotlines, etc...

And BE CAREFUL if you are a seller on Amazon, as during hurricane season Amazon has been known to BAN ACCOUNTS for price gouging. I haven't heard anything on the grapevine about that as it pertains to masks, etc... yet... but know that Amazon has a very strong anti-gouging bias as it pertains to 3P sellers.

I heard yesterday on CNN that amazon had started to close accounts because of price-gouging

.B.

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
202%
Jun 18, 2016
Belgium, Europe
I think it's because it's easier to use on the go, or for those times when washing your hands isn't practical. For the last few weeks, I've been keeping hand sanitizer in my car. Whenever I leave a store, for example, I sanitize my hands immediately afterward.

And I'm washing my hands. A lot.
agreed:
- for the car,
- at the entrance of the house for guests, and in particular for their kids who really don't bother with going to the bathroom to wash their hands :)

For the rest, I also prefer to wash my hands with soap when possible

Last edited:

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
Here in Europe, this is what happens in quite a few hospitals: patient is treated, but not tested. After a week - they finally test him - yes he is positive. Hospital is closed, staff quarantined.

Why? Because the patient doesn't confirm to the strict definition of the health authorities (which always includes 'must have traveled to Italy or China'). So no test. No test. No virus. No hazmat suits necessary.
I figure in the Netherlands with those 3 individuals in Tilburg and the Hospital Closing and associated with the "Carnival" and also the German Couple in Dusseldorf that was also involved with "Carnival" Ah..in the next 4 weeks we should see something happening. From what I understand it's infecting anyone within 9ft of you and airborne of course. Not to mention it has a long life span on surfaces for 9 to10 days.

I don't feel people take it to seriously here. And from being a Nurse Aide in the past I know how a virus moves fast just being in the same building between staff and clients. It's no joke.

I don't understand though why they're closing the Hospital. lol I haven't been in one here. But usually in America we have I.C.U. or doors to seal off a wing if necessary. And then when it does become huge what then? I suppose they can stay in their houses, but you might have more deaths this way since no one's monitoring vitals, fevers, oxygen etc.

Just thankful I'm not working in that field anymore. Not to be mean, but the likely hood of being a staff member you're going to get sick fast and keep getting sick even after 14 days because you're in the sickness all the time.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

Ather

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jan 26, 2020
I literally lived next to the epicentre hospital of MERS in Korea and it only killed the elderly for the most part, and not too many of them. This is said to be less lethal, so I can’t imagine this being the apocalyptic event everyone is talking about.

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
376%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
The flu kills between 12-60,000 people each year in USA.

It will be interesting to see all the data on how COVID19 has spread once it is over and done with. I am not sure if we have ever tracked anything so well as this in the past.

Could be excellent information for when the real plague hits us next time.

I will leave you all with this:

Death rate holding steady at 100%

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
I literally lived next to the epicentre hospital of MERS in Korea and it only killed the elderly for the most part, and not too many of them. This is said to be less lethal, so I can’t imagine this being the apocalyptic event everyone is talking about.

Here, at least, nobody is really thinking it's going to be apocalyptic. I can see scenarios where it turns that way, but I don't consider them very likely - at least in the near term.

That said, I'm not as rosy as most, however. I see zero chance this pandemic blows over in the summer (remember, summer in northern hemisphere is winter in southern and people can easily cross the equator). I think that before it is all said and done we're going to be left with yet another endemic disease to deal with, as I think a vaccine is going to be difficult and many years away. I expect the final death toll to be measured in the millions, and all those "it's just another flu" comments are going to age very poorly.

The silver lining is that hopefully we end up bringing back manufacturing of critical inventory (prescription meds, antibiotics, etc.) back within our own borders, and we can have a more sane system of immigration where we don't let sick people cross borders at will.

As for CFR, early data indicates that the elderly and infirm have a higher probability of dying, and children thankfully seem to be spared. I don't see this changing unless the virus mutates. Early analysis makes it look like a stable virus, so perhaps this isn't likely.

As far as that being apocalyptic, that's a matter of perspective. For young children being raised by their grandparents, it could very well be the end of the world as they know it if they end up in foster care. For children being raised by unhealthy parents, the same applies.

We would all do well to step outside of ourselves and have a little empathy for the soon to be untold millions that are going to be affected by this pandemic. The world won't end for everybody, but for those that die the world dies with them, and for those of us that know someone who dies, our lives will never be the same.

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
376%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
You are right @lowtek this IS more than just the flu. If this blows over and turns into nothing more than what it is today, it is already far far worse than the flu or anything that has come in the recent past due to the economic ramifications that this has already had. The entire globe has already been seriously affected by this, and no one knows how much longer it is going to go on for.

Nearly every single piece of any device that is used today has components manufactured in areas that have been paralyzed by this. If this gets worse there just won't be any more of anything being built. Plus the trade shows and gatherings that have been affected by this, it is just crazy. Mass gatherings of people have been put on hold all over the world so far.

Olympics will be interesting...

E-Sharp

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
245%
Jun 9, 2015

I don't know about "less lethal"
A 2% death rate in 200,000 cases is much more lethal than a 30% death rate in 3000 cases.

daivey

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Apr 6, 2014
On a semi-related note, I guess there IS bad publicity after all.

View attachment 30834

it always amazes me how people in 'masses' are stupid... but, if you spoke to those same people individually, they seem like decent people.... they can drive a car... hold a job... raise kids even....

weird.

do u think the people that 'voted no' did it more for fun? or do you think people actually associate Corona beer with Corona Virus?

BellaPippin

B is for Beast
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
275%
Jul 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
I found him in like 30 seconds, although I didn't use Google for it. He now lives in Boca Raton, and he graduated from University of Colorado. And from my own medical training, I agree with 95% of what he says. I'm a little skeptical about it being viable for up to 7 days on a surface, but I haven't seen any research to refute that claim so I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Also, zinc (which is a mineral by the way, not a homeopathic product) has multiple clinical studies showing effectiveness in the treatment of the cold virus. Granted, colds are most typically caused by rhinoviruses and not coronaviruses, so it's hard to definitively say it will work against the 2019-nCoV, but based on the studies I've read it sounds reasonable. Just make sure you're taking more than 75mg or zinc per day (about 6 lozenges) in order for maximum effectiveness.

Here's his CA license info: DCA - Search Details

Some Zinc studies: Zinc gluconate lozenges for treating the common cold. A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study. - PubMed - NCBI

I was talking about the Cold-Eeze not the zinc itself:

That said yes, the common cold isn't influenza virus, let alone a stronger strain.

Also I'm not trying to make an ad-hominem but this is just... lol is this normal?

Do we have proof he was a teacher at San Diego? Do we have any proof he was the one that made the statement? Honestly I just feel put off by any format that feels like a chain email. I'm put off in general by all the unnecessary panic. In the meantime something else is probably going on they are diverting attention from like whatever happened with those bombed camps or who knows... It's just a new strain of flu and this is turning the same way as it did with Ebola, SARS, MERS (those last two being coronavirus too). I might hoard on some toilet paper but honestly I just roll my eyes at all this. Could be wrong, but I hope I'm right.

Either way most of the measures are common sense so either way better safe than sorry. But to say the zinc tablets might block the infection once caught it's a bit of a stretch to me

loop101

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Mar 3, 2013

VentureVoyager

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
223%
Aug 19, 2017
Merida, Yucatan, Mexico
Well, It's pretty scary to me.
People bring out the argument that if you're young, you are going to be ok, but:

1) don't you have parents? Is all of your family perfectly healthy, with no pre-existing problems? My parents are both over 60, with some minor health issues. I'm worried about them, especially that they work with people (university professor and school teacher) and there's no way they could work from home.

2) Many young and healthy people died, too. Sportsmen and sportswomen. Italy is a good example...
In China there were entire doctor families that died. There were many cases in Thailand too, and even people who "recovered" now might have chronic lung problems (destroyed lungs, to put it simply, or problems with other organs). The Thai who died first if I recall correctly, was a healthy 35 years old who just came back from Japan, according to Bangkok Post.

3) I have hashimoto's so looks like my immune system is not perfectly optimized, and still test positive for one strain of Lyme disease (had 4, now it's just 1...), also have Candida skin infection. So..

And this whole worldwide panic and oubtreak caught me when I'm travelling in Mexico.

Right now, flying back to Europe doesn't seem like a good idea to me.

In Mexico there are only 5 confirmed cases, in Ecuador 8, 1 i Dominican Republic.
Feels safer than Europe and the US, but it can spread fast... or spread undetected, as I don't believe countries/people will be able to afford tests here on a grand scale, or develop effective procedures.

I literally don't know where to go next. I'm having a hard time deciding between going to Guatemala or Colombia, or trying to escape to some remote Island and waiting it out. The problem with hiding is, IF I get infected, or if it gets there, there might no be good enough health care. I mean, people are dying in the US right now...55 years olds etc.

It could also be pretty harsh to be quarantined in a country that I don't know well, with basic Spanish, and maybe not the best healthcare, if shit strikes the fan there.
IDK

what would you do? I'd like to tell myself that I'm overreacting, but I would rather not add coronavirus to lyme disease and pre-existing immune disease.

"WHO chief says: “We have never before seen a respiratory pathogen that is capable of community transmission, but which can also be contained with the right measures "

Last edited:

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
Well, It's pretty scary to me.
People bring out the argument that if you're young, you are going to be ok, but:

1) don't you have parents? Is all of your family perfectly healthy, with no pre-existing problems? My parents are both over 60, with some minor health issues. I'm worried about them, especially that they work with people (university professor and school teacher) and there's no way they could work from home.

2) Many young and healthy people died, too. Sportsmen and sportswomen. Italy is a good example...
In China there were entire doctor families that died. There were many cases in Thailand too, and even people who "recovered" now might have chronic lung problems (destroyed lungs, to put it simply, or problems with other organs). The Thai who died first if I recall correctly, was a healthy 35 years old who just came back from Japan, according to Bangkok Post.

3) I have hashimoto's so looks like my immune system is not perfectly optimized, and still test positive for one strain of Lyme disease (had 4, now it's just 1...), also have Candida skin infection. So..

And this whole worldwide panic and oubtreak caught me when I'm travelling in Mexico.

Right now, flying back to Europe doesn't seem like a good idea to me.

In Mexico there are only 5 confirmed cases, in Ecuador 8, 1 i Dominican Republic.
Feels safer than Europe and the US, but it can spread fast... or spread undetected, as I don't believe countries/people will be able to afford tests here on a grand scale, or develop effective procedures.

I literally don't know where to go next. I'm having a hard time deciding between going to Guatemala or Colombia, or trying to escape to some remote Island and waiting it out. The problem with hiding is, IF I get infected, or if it gets there, there might no be good enough health care. I mean, people are dying in the US right now...55 years olds etc.

It could also be pretty harsh to be quarantined in a country that I don't know well, with basic Spanish, and maybe not the best healthcare, if shit strikes the fan there.
IDK

what would you do? I'd like to tell myself that I'm overreacting, but I would rather not add coronavirus to lyme disease and pre-existing immune disease.

You're definitely better off in the first world. The reason younger people died overseas is mostly due to lack of proper care, swamped hospital system, etc.

You're going to be OK. Here are some action items.
Minimize your trips to crowded places.
Practice good hygiene religiously.
Shop in the evenings or early mornings when there aren't many people.
Use a dilute bleach solution to wipe down stuff that you buy.

VentureVoyager

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
223%
Aug 19, 2017
Merida, Yucatan, Mexico
Thanks for the good word and the advice, but would you risk flying back to Europe, where the spread is now raging and fatality numbers are rising in Italy etc? Airplanes and airports don't look to me like the safest places now, and my guess is that low temperatures aren't helping.

I could as well stay in a major Latin American city, such as Medellin, I've heard the healthcare is pretty good, many Americans go there to treat themselves to save $. I don't know.d

So far I bought zinc, magnesium, vit D3K2 and Vit c 1000 mg. Selene should be useful too.
They might not directly "kill off" the virus, but they always do me good and seem to help the immune system and entire body. I was able to stay healthy for almost 2 years in 2018 and 2019, without any common colds even.

And looks like we should clean our mobiles too, or abstain from using them when outside...

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
agreed:
- for the car,
- at the entrance of the house for guests, and in particular for their kids who really don't bother with going to the bathroom to wash their hands :)

For the rest, I also prefer to wash my hands with soap when possible

I was at a conference last week and they passed out a small bottle to everyone at check in. I used that bottle probably 20 times during that day. Way more convenient than washing your hands.

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
I hoard toilet paper but only because I poop about 4-5 times a day

@ $40 each you could be rich in no time! :rofl: :shit:

Ubu_roi

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
333%
Jul 24, 2018
Europe
e patient doesn't confirm to the str
Thanks for the good word and the advice, but would you risk flying back to Europe, where the spread is now raging and fatality numbers are rising in Italy etc? Airplanes and airports don't look to me like the safest places now, and my guess is that low temperatures aren't helping.

I could as well stay in a major Latin American city, such as Medellin, I've heard the healthcare is pretty good, many Americans go there to treat themselves to save $. I don't know.d

So far I bought zinc, magnesium, vit D3K2 and Vit c 1000 mg. Selene should be useful too.
They might not directly "kill off" the virus, but they always do me good and seem to help the immune system and entire body. I was able to stay healthy for almost 2 years in 2018 and 2019, without any common colds even.

And looks like we should clean our mobiles too, or abstain from using them when outside...

You are afraid of getting sick, which is understandable, but you should also worry about your surroundings. Personally, I would get to the country where you have your citizenship, especially if it's in the first world.

Italians were recently treated like they had the plague recently in Israel: a group couldn't get into their hotels as the staff were afraid and didn't want them there, even if they had a regular booking.
Some people were sent back to Italy from the airport with no warning at all. (Can get you the news sources if you need them). And we are speaking of a fully developed country taking measures against citizens of a friendly neighbour.

The thing is, when you are out of your country, if something really bad happens, you are the last to have access to resources.

In any case, if I were to be quarantined, I'd definitely prefer that to happen in a country where:

- Human rights are a priority;
- You know the language;
- There is a functioning health care;
- There is no endemic poverty;

And by the way, when we talk about a virus, you don't really think that borders really matter in 2020? Unless you go to a small island, math and numbers tell us everywhere is the same.

Just my two cents.

Longinus

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
441%
Aug 28, 2014
Poland / Belgium
I sense some weird excitement to some people, also in this thread, as if they can't wait it to become some zombie apocalypse wiping out half of the world population.

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
I sense some weird excitement to some people, also in this thread, as if they can't wait to become some zombie apocalypse.

It's a form of escape from their mundane life.

Here

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Sep 6, 2019
Agreed about the air travel. I'd find somewhere I could travel to on my own. Which is anywhere you can drive, unless you're able to afford a private plane ...

loop101

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Mar 3, 2013
I sense some weird excitement to some people, also in this thread, as if they can't wait it to become some zombie apocalypse wiping out half of the world population.

If COVID19 kills 2% of the 7.5B people in the world (150M), that will be as many people killed by the The Black Death and The Spanish Flu combined. That is apocalyptic.

Certain areas, like the slums and shantytowns of the world, could be hit very hard. No one here is hoping for these things to happen.

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
On a semi-related note, I guess there IS bad publicity after all.

Honestly, it seems like that survey was specifically created to produce click-bait garbage headlines like that:

Quote - "Among those who said they usually drink Corona, only 4 percent said they would stop drinking Corona."

Notice how it doesn't say that this is due to the virus. This could be because those surveyed want to quit drinking in general, or have begun switching to craft beer, or simply had their tastes changed, or are switching to domestic to support the local economy. Could literally be anything.

Quote - "38 percent of beer-drinking Americans would not buy Corona under any circumstances now. "

Now? How about before? The change is the significant part, not the new number. Hell, maybe the number was 40% before and 38% now. That would indicate an increase in those who would consider buying a corona.

Hell, I'd respond the same way - I've never really enjoyed corona and while I wouldn't turn down a free one, I certainly wouldn't spend my own dollars on it.

Quote - "16% of beer drinking Americans were confused about whether Corona beer is related to the coronavirus"

Confused how? This is still a new virus. It's not the dumbest thing in the world to assume that a name you know and a virus containing that name may be related. Entirely possible that those surveyed hadn't heard of the coronavirus before, which makes "i'm not sure" the most reasonable answer to that question.

I wonder what % of people would be confused about whether the Rhinovirus is related to Rhinos?

Also, everyone is going crazy about their stock price, but this chart doesn't exactly instill confidence prior to the viral outbreak (bonus - note that January is always a bad month anyway):

Remember - when you read a headline that relates to a poll, there's a great chance it's been taken out of context. Bad faith in surveying and bad faith in reporting on surveys is frankly out of control.

I have no doubt that the virus ans association are causing a negative impact. But I wouldn't say it's anywhere close to what's being reported and passed around.

Likwid24

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Mar 26, 2011
Staten Island, NY
@ $40 each you could be rich in no time! :rofl: :shit:

Ahahahhaha. I can easily make $200 a day doing nothing. They may even pay me more than $40 cause my poop is super healthy. :rofl:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.