The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The Worldwide C0VlD-19 Coronavirus Pandemic Discussion Thread...

StrikingViper69

Shredding scales and making sales
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
168%
Dec 3, 2018
UK
A bunch of doctors in Alberta just signed an open letter requesting that the government make wearing masks in public mandatory up here...

I for one welcome our overloads and can't wait for the fines to be handed out for those not complying. That is what we all need. More fines for everyone! Fines make the world a better place.

If only politicians had the sense to fine people for being poor and stupid, we could all be smart and wealthy.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
If only politicians had the sense to fine people for being poor and stupid, we could all be smart and wealthy.

Don't you know! That is just a minimum wage law! All they need to do is make minimum wage $1.5 million a year!

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
Not trying to be argumentative as I’m a novice at best at medical data but shouldn’t the % of positive tests remain relatively constant as opposed to trending up if it is simply a function of more testing?

View attachment 33627

Very astute question, but the answer (probably) is that it depends. If the testing is expanded, but only on people showing symptoms, then we would expect the positive % to increase, while the true rate of infection could be stable. If we increase testing on the populace at random, and the positive % is increasing, then that probably indicates an increase in the rate of infections.

The rate of false positives & false negatives vs. true positive & negative will also play a role.

Not an expert on epidemiology or anything, but that's my basic understanding of how these things work.

GIlman

Still Gilman
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
605%
Oct 16, 2014
Not trying to be argumentative as I’m a novice at best at medical data but shouldn’t the % of positive tests remain relatively constant as opposed to trending up if it is simply a function of more testing?

View attachment 33627

There are several confounding variables in percent positive. Better pretest selection for instance, meaning maybe they are getting better at screening for likely covid to select who is tested. Maybe the virus is weakening overtime and so the infection rate is going up but hospitalizations going down. Etc...

But, the reason I prefer to follow hospitalizations and death, is regardless of anything else I’m interested in impact and outcomes. Does anything else really matter? It the percent testing positive goes up, but hospitalizations are trending down, the impact is lessened, which is what we care about most. So which is the useful measure really?

MTEE1985

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
425%
Jun 12, 2018
Arizona
There are several confounding variables in percent positive. Better pretest selection for instance, meaning maybe they are getting better at screening for likely covid to select who is tested. Maybe the virus is weakening overtime and so the infection rate is going up but hospitalizations going down. Etc...

But, the reason I prefer to follow hospitalizations and death, is regardless of anything else I’m interested in impact and outcomes. Does anything else really matter? It the percent testing positive goes up, but hospitalizations are trending down, the impact is lessened, which is what we care about most. So which is the useful measure really?

I agree. My understanding of the ADHS dashboard was that it generally lagged 7-10 days regarding hospitalization and death counts. If those are up to date then things look great. I have very concerned in-laws so the any info that makes it easier to explain to them to calm down the better. Thanks again @GIlman

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
May 1, 2011
From Sovereignman.com:

US National debt increased by nearly $1 trillion in the last month

In the past 30 days, the United States national debt has increased by nearly $1 trillion-- screaming past $26.2 trillion total, or 128% of GDP.

That means the US government is borrowing over $23 million per MINUTE.

But that’s just the last 30 days The US government has gone nearly $3 trillion further into debt since March 1.

That is over $9,000 for every man, woman, and child living in the United States. And all you received was a $1200 check...

Now the “Save our Country Coalition” has penned a letter to Congress stating that the federal budget is dangerously close to $10 trillion this fiscal year.

On an inflation adjusted basis, that means the government will spend more fighting Covid than it spent fighting every single 20th century war-- plus the 21st century Wars in Iraq and Afghanistan-- COMBINED.

The cost of World War I, World War II, The Korean War, The Vietnam War, The Gulf War, The Iraq War, and the War in Afghanistan combined, does not add up to this fiscal year’s budget.

source: Conservatives: Feds Close to Spending More Than on Revolutionary, Civil War, WWI, II Combined

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
May 1, 2011

James Klymus

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
353%
Dec 28, 2018
Chicago, Illinois
Haven't been in this thread for a while, I found that I would literally be thinking about this all day and I ended up doing almost nothing but work and come here to see what was new.

It still blows my mind that COVID is still even relevant at this point. The hospitals aren't going to be overrun. Most people are sick for a couple days with cold like symptoms, then they get better.

- Most people who die from covid would have died within the year (Two thirds of coronavirus victims may have died this year anyway, government adviser says)

- Ventilators were overrated (COVID19: Are ventilators killing people?)

- Kids don't really get covid and rarely spread it "Numerous studies have now shown that children hardly get Covid19 and do not or hardly transmit the virus, which was already known from the 2003 SARS outbreak. There was therefore no medical reason for the closure of schools at any time." (Facts about C0VlD-19)

- It's very very likely that masks don't work and it's pointless to have the general population wear them (Coronavirus Fact-Check #6: Does wearing a mask do anything?)

Side note on the masks: Most people, especially those who use the disposable masks, have huge gaps on both sides of the masks that allow outside air to come in and be breathed in. It also would allow any cough droplets to come out through these gaps. I see this on literally every person wearing one and I pointed it out to one of my coworkers.

This is just how they're designed. Unless you're wearing a gas mask, the only thing masks do is provide a false sense of security.

I for the life of me can't figure out what the point of the masks are BESIDES Virtue signaling and a visible sign of obedience.

"Numerous politicians, media people and police officers have already been caught putting on their respirators in a crowd especially for the television cameras or taking them off immediately when they believed that they were no longer being filmed." (Facts about C0VlD-19)

Being presented with information that is the literal opposite of what is being spewed by the mainstream media is beyond infuriating and stressful. And there is absolutely nothing I can do about it. So i decided to take a step back and stop keeping up with the updates, stop hanging out on this thread, and focus on work and keeping busy with other things I can control.

I sleep better at night, and I'm able to think more clearly.

The fact of the matter is that whatever the media says is what the majority of people will believe. They get to control the narrative. They don't deserve to, but they do.

They will incite violence (Obvious by the riots, but on a smaller scale I have had multiple people at the store get combative with me because I wasn't "wearing my mask properly" Or "I got too close"), They will antagonize, and continue to tell you what to think. They will call people who protest the lockdown's fools and racists, yet praise the protestors and rioters for BLM as "brave" and "unheard voices". They'll shove systemic racism down your throat, shame you for being white, and try to make you feel as if you have an advantage over minorities because you're white (which is extremely racist ironically).

And I don't see a way to NOT go mad if I'm paying attention to this stuff. It's just too damn stressful.

Even people with a big platform will be silenced or ignored, And even more people will be shamed into compliance or silence for questioning the narrative.

These entire past few months are just a challenge we have to face as a society. Where we have a literal handful of people controlling the narrative, Which I guess hasn't changed much through out history. Instead of Government it's the media and social media companies. We've been lied to and deceived, For what goal i don't know. I would assume political reelection, and expansion of power.

The only difference is we have the option to know the truth if we search for it. It'll never be the mainstream, but it's there for us to find.

I see through all the shit, it's just damn hard to stay sane when everyone else is eating it up.

I seriously respect the level headed people who are fighting for the truth. It just isn't my battle right now, I have too much to do in my personal life to get where I need to be. It's going in the ocean and trying to fight the waves. I need to clean my own room before I try to change the world, as a very famous and wise Canadian man has said.

Last edited:

Contrarian

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
583%
Nov 13, 2014
Jalisco, Mexico
Haven't been in this thread for a while, I found that I would literally be thinking about this all day and I ended up doing almost nothing but work and come here to see what was new.

It still blows my mind that COVID is still even relevant at this point. The hospitals aren't going to be overrun. Most people are sick for a couple days with cold like symptoms, then they get better.

- Most people who die from covid would have died within the year (Two thirds of coronavirus victims may have died this year anyway, government adviser says)

- Ventilators were overrated (COVID19: Are ventilators killing people?)

- Kids don't really get covid and rarely spread it "Numerous studies have now shown that children hardly get Covid19 and do not or hardly transmit the virus, which was already known from the 2003 SARS outbreak. There was therefore no medical reason for the closure of schools at any time." (Facts about C0VlD-19)

- It's very very likely that masks don't work and it's pointless to have the general population wear them (Coronavirus Fact-Check #6: Does wearing a mask do anything?)

Side note on the masks: Most people, especially those who use the disposable masks, have huge gaps on both sides of the masks that allow outside air to come in and be breathed in. It also would allow any cough droplets to come out through these gaps. I see this on literally every person wearing one and I pointed it out to one of my coworkers.

This is just how they're designed. Unless you're wearing a gas mask, the only thing masks do is provide a false sense of security.

I for the life of me can't figure out what the point of the masks are BESIDES Virtue signaling and a visible sign of obedience.

"Numerous politicians, media people and police officers have already been caught putting on their respirators in a crowd especially for the television cameras or taking them off immediately when they believed that they were no longer being filmed." (Facts about C0VlD-19)

Being presented with information that is the literal opposite of what is being spewed by the mainstream media is beyond infuriating and stressful. And there is absolutely nothing I can do about it. So i decided to take a step back and stop keeping up with the updates, stop hanging out on this thread, and focus on work and keeping busy with other things I can control.

I sleep better at night, and I'm able to think more clearly.

The fact of the matter is that whatever the media says is what the majority of people will believe. They get to control the narrative. They don't deserve to, but they do.

They will incite violence (Obvious by the riots, but on a smaller scale I have had multiple people at the store get combative with me because I wasn't "wearing my mask properly" Or "I got too close"), They will antagonize, and continue to tell you what to think. They will call people who protest the lockdown's fools and racists, yet praise the protestors and rioters for BLM as "brave" and "unheard voices". They'll shove systemic racism down your throat, shame you for being white, and try to make you feel as if you have an advantage over minorities because you're white (which is extremely racist ironically).

And I don't see a way to NOT go mad if I'm paying attention to this stuff. It's just too damn stressful.

Even people with a big platform will be silenced or ignored, And even more people will be shamed into compliance or silence for questioning the narrative.

These entire past few months are just a challenge we have to face as a society. Where we have a literal handful of people controlling the narrative, Which I guess hasn't changed much through out history. Instead of Government it's the media and social media companies. We've been lied to and deceived, For what goal i don't know. I would assume political reelection, and expansion of power.

The only difference is we have the option to know the truth if we search for it. It'll never be the mainstream, but it's there for us to find.

I see through all the shit, it's just damn hard to stay sane when everyone else is eating it up.

I seriously respect the level headed people who are fighting for the truth. It just isn't my battle right now, I have too much to do in my personal life to get where I need to be. It's going in the ocean and trying to fight the waves.

When I moved to an island partly to escape the emerging dark age of Western civilization, it seemed pretty esoteric and far away. Like a fashionable statement that happened to confer some tax and lifestyle benefits. Now there's nothing lighthearted or funny about it.

I left the UK only three years ago.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
So at what point does the news break favorably

The day after November 3rd.

As an aside, I believe we are slowly entering into a new form of the dark ages, where the truth and allowed narrative is shaped and suppressed. Not by religious ideology as happened last time, but by “acceptable” political ideology.

I haven't been following this thread for nearly 6 weeks, but after checking in today and catching up on the variety of posts, your statement is frightful. Throughout this thread, you've shown yourself to be reasonable, apolitical, non-partisan, and someone without a bias.

The fact that you are confessing this yourself scares the hell out of me. Because I'm perceiving the same thing.

As my avatar says...

If you're not SEARCHING for the truth, then sorry, you're not GETTING the truth.

stencil.logo-avatar(2).png

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
I had actually considered closing this thread a while back when it stagnated but I’m very glad that I didn’t because the quote from Gilman is worth the cost of admission

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
I'll admit I'm pretty stupid, although will say the way everything has been handled is quite ridiculous.

With only a 5% fatality rate or so & our governments shutting everything down while spending billions of dollars on the pandemic

$252 billion?

What's next? Aliens are invading the planet? If you played that on the news I'd bet people would believe it.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Meanwhile... While all of the communists are hiding under their stairs with their masks on... I had the best pork chop in the city today. Next Friday, I am doing carpaccio.

Lyinx

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Oct 28, 2019
Lancaster County, PA
Going to share what covid has done to my local area..

My local (and myself) are very religious and conservative, try to obey the laws and all that.. I could go on and on..

Fiance's great uncle died of it.
Her family (and mine) all had it at some point (we didn't get tested but had a few locals with the same symptoms get tested, were positive)

Most of us, when we got it first, said it's just like a flu.. few days later a lot of us felt like we got hit with a freight train (not just elderly)
Dead tired, stuffy nose, muscle pains, and some of them had coughing and fever.

Great uncle had it, along with his wife, they're both in their 80s. Lasted 4 weeks, and now he's back working in his sons woodworking shop.

Another woman had a compromised immune system, 60 yr old, and died.

Our driver for the workers got sick and is in the hospital, seems to be doing ok.

Just thought I'd share our experience with it..

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
376%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
I am sorry to hear that @Lyinx

I am curious, do you know how you got it or how it spread through the family? Were there obvious sickness signals before it spread? I ask because everyone that I know who has gotten it has gotten it through someone with "a cold". A distant blood relative died from it, but she was in her late 70s and morbidly obese and to be honest probably anything would have been fatal to her.

I am interested to see how the mortality numbers for all this look in 3 or so years, when we look back and can analyse the data properly. From what I see this is absolutely devastating in places like old-folks homes and elderly care facilities. As tragic as this is, perhaps it points further to how we failed our most at risk populations than what we did to prevent (slow?) the illness among the less vulnerable members of society.

Lyinx

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Oct 28, 2019
Lancaster County, PA
I am sorry to hear that @Lyinx
Thanks! I live in an awesome community, I think we are handling it the appropriate way, even if we eventually all get it.

I am curious, do you know how you got it or how it spread through the family? Were there obvious sickness signals before it spread? I ask because everyone that I know who has gotten it has gotten it through someone with "a cold". A distant blood relative died from it, but she was in her late 70s and morbidly obese and to be honest probably anything would have been fatal to her.
I had a great uncle and aunt who got it, in their 80s, who are not exactly in the prime of life. We would have figured they would be the most "at-risk" but they pulled it through in 4 weeks.
I do want to mention that they had insanely awesome helpers, their married children made a schedule and had at least one person there 24 hrs/day helping with things if they needed it. Never went to the hospital.
I'm convinced that if they would have gone to the hospital, they would have died of loneliness before the covid killed them.

How it spread in our case?
3 of my sisters go to a farmers market (different markets) to help prepare and sell food to customers.
SO goes to another large market, selling food.
but we don't think it came from any of those places, we think it kinda came through SO's fathers work-place, he works in a small outdoor furniture shop, where your closest co-worker is 20+ feet away, but every once in a while you go into each others areas.... him and one of his coworkers got it at the same time.
"Flu-like symptoms" yes, stuffy nose mostly... and tired, so tired, tired all the time...

Mom said that (for her) it seemed like you were getting over it, and then you get hit again, kinda reminded me of the beach, you get up, get hit with a wave, go down, come back up, and repeat for a week or two.

I am interested to see how the mortality numbers for all this look in 3 or so years, when we look back and can analyse the data properly. From what I see this is absolutely devastating in places like old-folks homes and elderly care facilities. As tragic as this is, perhaps it points further to how we failed our most at risk populations than what we did to prevent (slow?) the illness among the less vulnerable members of society.

Yeah, I'm interested (and I think everyone is) in seeing those numbers... if we can get them before election time then heads will roll....
Most likely won't have good numbers until after the election.... probably come out Nov 3'rd...

David Harrison

Dedo
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
215%
Sep 27, 2018
London
Every new idea has some sort of precedent or echo from the past.
nihil sub sōle novum

Once upon a time, (BEFORE the myth of COVid 19) there was an Emperor who was only interested in good clothes. He was so in love with it that he did not care much for anything else. One day a few conmen/politicians appeared and told him that they were excellent weavers and that they could make the most beautiful fabric in the world. It didn’t take long to get the Emperor’s attention. They told him they made fabrics of wonderful samples and colors with a specific feature. They were invisible to anyone who was stupid (conspiracy theorist) or incapable of doing his job.

The conmen ordered some of the finest materials and secretly they sold them to get the money. To fool the Emperor and his servants they started to weave but there was nothing. The Emperor sent him most loyal servants to check up on them. When they saw that they can’t see the alleged fabric they were scared that they’ll get fired for being stupid or incompetent to do their jobs. That is the reason why they lied that they saw magical fabrics.

In the end, the Emperor decided together with many helpers see the fabrics and see how the weavers' work was going. Everyone who accompanied him was afraid to come off as a stupid person so they admired the fabric that wasn’t there and advised the Emperor to put that nothing on himself. The conmen showed him the cape, pants, and the coat but they were actually empty-handed.

The Emperor took all the clothes off of himself and the conmen dressed him in the invisible clothes. The Emperor started a procession where his servants walked behind him with their hands raised to hold the cape. Everyone admired him and his new clothes until one boy yelled that the Emperor had no clothes on. (There's NO pandemic)

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Every new idea has some sort of precedent or echo from the past.
nihil sub sōle novum

Once upon a time, (BEFORE the myth of COVid 19) there was an Emperor who was only interested in good clothes. He was so in love with it that he did not care much for anything else. One day a few conmen/politicians appeared and told him that they were excellent weavers and that they could make the most beautiful fabric in the world. It didn’t take long to get the Emperor’s attention. They told him they made fabrics of wonderful samples and colors with a specific feature. They were invisible to anyone who was stupid (conspiracy theorist) or incapable of doing his job.

The conmen ordered some of the finest materials and secretly they sold them to get the money. To fool the Emperor and his servants they started to weave but there was nothing. The Emperor sent him most loyal servants to check up on them. When they saw that they can’t see the alleged fabric they were scared that they’ll get fired for being stupid or incompetent to do their jobs. That is the reason why they lied that they saw magical fabrics.

In the end, the Emperor decided together with many helpers see the fabrics and see how the weavers' work was going. Everyone who accompanied him was afraid to come off as a stupid person so they admired the fabric that wasn’t there and advised the Emperor to put that nothing on himself. The conmen showed him the cape, pants, and the coat but they were actually empty-handed.

The Emperor took all the clothes off of himself and the conmen dressed him in the invisible clothes. The Emperor started a procession where his servants walked behind him with their hands raised to hold the cape. Everyone admired him and his new clothes until one boy yelled that the Emperor had no clothes on. (There's NO pandemic)

C0VlD-19 is very real, just concentrated in hot spots, overblown, and weaponized for use as an ideological opportunity to break down fundamental liberties we took for granted just a few short months ago.

David Harrison

Dedo
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
215%
Sep 27, 2018
London
C0VlD-19 is very real, just concentrated in hot spots, overblown, and weaponized for use as an ideological opportunity to break down fundamental liberties we took for granted just a few short months ago.

I agree Dave, although, as you've stated, it's been promulgated into a myth that people now "believe" and follow.

Ideology is quite the thing?

Seasonal influenza is quite real also...

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
My wife came up with a pretty brilliant analogy this morning

Attachments

• 50C1E76B-8CED-422E-95B4-BF85D0D564F5.jpeg
    50C1E76B-8CED-422E-95B4-BF85D0D564F5.jpeg
    73.4 KB · Views: 44

Cyberthal

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Apr 14, 2020
Shenzhen
COVID19 has greatly accelerated the inevitable hostility between rampant China and declining USA. With both parties in power (CCP and Republicans) blaming each other for a deliberate biowarfare attack, we have causus belli.

The CCP has resorted to xenophobic jingoism to squash allegations of an accidental release of a lab-manipulated COVID19, while cracking down heavily on dissent with its increased emergency powers. Due to propaganda, I suspect the average Chinese citizen believes that the USA deliberately released COVID19 in Wuhan. Pearl Harbor pales by comparison.

Trump's Republicans see COVID19 as an extension of the Democrat China corrupt alliance, a desperate gamble to steal the election via economic recession and mail-in vote fraud. China's pattern of coverup and lying to hoard supplies reinforces this conviction.

Americans have no historical memory, but the CCP will use this to justify anti-Americanism as long as it exists. What happens to the MAD doctrine when one side believes it has already suffered a WMD attack?

Russians and Americans are able to understand each other in a way that Americans and Chinese are not. Russian propaganda is effective against the USA now, and US propaganda was effective against the Soviet Union then. Today CCP propaganda is ineffective in the USA, and vice versa. This is alarming, because wars result from miscommunication.

The USA of 2020 visibly lacks the sanity that preserved her through the Cold War. The CCP defends its legitimacy by redirecting societal animosity outwards. The Chinese citizenry are post-Communist, stripped of tradition, traumatized by an absence of functional elders, full of both military peasants and entitled but identity-insecure middle class, and facing a shortage of women.

A global trauma such as the popping of the Fed's debt bubble could be enough to put the Chinese in a genocidal mood towards Americans, as they currently are towards Japanese (since WWII).

As an American living in China, I pay attention to that sort of thing.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
I’m looking at a jar of jellybeans. I have no idea how many jellybeans are in the jar but I know that there are some that I don’t want. Those yellow ones. I’m happily eating jellybeans and just avoiding the yellow ones. It’s not that hard to do. We all know how to do it but some people have more risk aversion than others.

Then someone start counting the jellybeans. The statistics start to trouble me. Two yellow ones. Then five. Then seven.

Early indicators are as much as 20% of the jellybeans may be yellow. That sounds terrible.

I stop eating them. Even though I was doing fine avoiding them, the statistics are scaring me. I don’t want the yellow ones. You can’t blame me.

They keep counting.

10 yellow. Now 12. Now 15.

But wait. They stopped reporting the percentage.

So I ask for the percentage. “It’s less” they say “but there still are a lot of yellow ones. Every time we count we come across more yellow ones.”

I stopped eating them because it was 20%. And now every time they count they come across more yellow ones. That sounds terrible.

Wait.

In that whole jar there were only 25? I was doing fine just avoiding them before I started hearing the numbers increasing. But it turns out the percentage is only .05%?

I need to stop doing what I was doing because you said the percentage was 20% but turns out it is .05%?

Pretty sure I can just avoid that, and even if I eat one it’s probably not that big of a deal.

I do find it weird though that the more you counted the more you just reported the total yellow count to me and stopped reporting the percentages. It’s almost like you’re reporting what you want me to hear instead of just the data.

Your original forecast was completely wrong. There are definitely yellow ones in there but it’s not nearly as bad as you said it was...But now you think everybody should stop eating them? Completely? Because of a few yellow ones mixed in?

I think I’m going to go back to eating jellybeans and take my chances now that I know the real numbers.

If you’re not comfortable, that’s ok. Don’t eat them but...stop telling everybody else what to do. Make your own decision on how to avoid the yellow ones on your own. Risks like the yellow ones have been here the whole time.

You do you.

-David Happe

GIlman

Still Gilman
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
605%
Oct 16, 2014

Dave, this is spot on. A problem I see is that people can only believe one thing at a time. Covid is real and for some reason some people draw a bad card when they get it and get horribly ill.

Last week alone I saw 5 new cases of horrible covid pneumonia in people 25-45, one had a blood clot in their lung in a very impacted area. The number of young people impacted and the severity of their illness is not comparable to flu.

But, here is the inconvenient truth. There are hundreds of thousands of young people and a few unlucky soles does not make a crisis. The extreme majority get better without any fuss. Yes, a handful of young people dying is a great story for blogs and news sites that are driven by click centric revenues models, but not a catastrophically impactful event on society.

Comparatively speaking, the opioid crisis blows covid out of the water in impact, and yet it’s mentioned in passing. Suicide is probably more impactful than covid, last week I saw two attempted hangings through the ER. Where as I see 100% of bad covid cases, young people don’t Typically die at home, they go to the ER first, only suicide survivors show up at the ER. There are many that show never make it.

My point being, that where I think many people go wrong with covid is seeing what it’s capable of doing without putting it into context with the total impact it is having, especially compared to many things that people give little thought to that have a bigger impact than covid.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
This world is getting super f*cked up. The masks are now just a social conditioning step on the way to something bigger.

The hysteria is gaining significant momentum.

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
This world is getting super f*cked up. The masks are now just a social conditioning step on the way to something bigger.

The hysteria is gaining significant momentum.

I always laugh at the people with masks on..... seeing people smoke cigarettes with gloves on whilst removing the mask is quite comical.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
I always laugh at the people with masks on..... seeing people smoke cigarettes with gloves on whilst removing the mask is quite comical.

They are seemingly becoming the majority

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.