The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The Worldwide C0VlD-19 Coronavirus Pandemic Discussion Thread...

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.

MoneyDoc

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
273%
Jun 24, 2014
This pretty much sums up the whole situation

View attachment 31805

View attachment 31804
Why aren't you saying the Influenza falls under the same problem? Not everyone gets a vaccine. There's still 3-5 million cases worldwide per year. To me, it looks like the same problem, no?

Not as aggressive as COVID? Doesn't matter. There's still deaths.

And I don't see how its economy vs death. No economy = no food = death. We're taking a lot of stuff for granted. How about we cut government programs and then shutdown the economy? You're still up for it? It's easy to say "they're choosing economy over people's lives" when you're getting ANY amount of FREE money from the government.

And by the way, I don't believe it is an economy vs people situation. That's exaggerating it quite a bit.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas

ChickenHawk

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
468%
Aug 16, 2012
Butt in Chair
Why is this shocking though? It's expected. It's a new virus. There's 7.8 billion people on earth. Of course it's going to spread like crazy.
You don't find it shocking that a brand new illness -- something highly contagious that didn't exist until just a few months ago -- has infected at least a million people worldwide and is doubling at a pretty staggering rate? I can't say I'm terribly surprised, since I've been in the SomethingBurger camp from the beginning, but the reality is still crazy to watch.

Here's a recent headline.
Worldwide coronavirus cases top 500,000, doubling in just over a week
This headline is only a week old. Now we're at a million cases and growing. Expected or not, yeah, I guess I do find the reality pretty darn shocking.

E-Sharp

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
245%
Jun 9, 2015
Let's say we get 10 million worldwide cases in 1 year until the vaccine is ready to go. What difference does that make? Deaths? I don't recall all these "all lives matter" posts when it comes to other diseases (of course all lives matter but sometimes nature wins). Why haven't we advocated for those as some of you are so intensely for this? What's the difference?

Which of these other diseases have overwhelmed healthcare systems across the globe? When has there been a massive spike in symptomatic patients in a short time period (1-2 months) during which there weren't enough resources to provide care for all of those patients?

Or are you just being deliberately obtuse?

MoneyDoc

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
273%
Jun 24, 2014
Which of these other diseases have overwhelmed healthcare systems across the globe? When has there been a massive spike in symptomatic patients in a short time period (1-2 months) during which there weren't enough resources to provide care for all of those patients?

Or are you just being deliberately obtuse?
Not all healthcare systems are overwhelmed. Not all countries are affected as bad as USA, Italy, Spain, Iran.

A contagious virus spreading amongst a dense population like in NY, what do you think the outcome would be? You think hospitals won't be overwhelmed? Mortality rate is still lower than originally thought. This stuff is all expected is what I'm saying.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Bekit

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
492%
Aug 13, 2018
Well, we just reached 1 million confirmed cases worldwide. Crazy how that exponential math works.
Yep.

Remember what they were saying when we passed 300,000?

"It took 67 days from the first reported case to reach 100,000 cases, 11 days for the second 100,000 cases, and just four days for the third 100,000 cases."

Remember all the tweets when we passed 500,000?

"We went from zero to 250,000 in 4 months and then registered another 250,000 in just a week."

We're going to see that same effect with the speed that we reach the second million, and then the third.

ChickenHawk

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
468%
Aug 16, 2012
Butt in Chair
Regarding Making Infected People Wear Ankle Bracelets
Wow. This is egregious.
But is it really? Infected or exposed people have been violating quarantine from almost since the beginning -- going shopping, eating out, attending father-daughter dances, visiting maternity wards, etc. Too many people are selfish idiots who seem to think their "little trip to the grocery store" is more important than the health of their neighbors.

In an ideal world, we wouldn't need ankle bracelets to make sure these idiots stay home. Unfortunately, we're not in that world, and if I had this sickness, I'd much rather have an ankle bracelet than be tossed into a quarantine center with other sick people to die or get better. (This is what China did.) Here in the USA, there was also a case where a confirmed person flat-out said he wasn't going to stay home, so the police felt compelled to guard his house to protect his neighbors.

I know that most of us are strong individualists here, but people with highly contagious diseases have long been discouraged from going out in public. The method of quarantine varies, but the necessity remains. Personally, I think it's pretty cool that we have a method that's not nearly as intrusive or dangerous as what's been required in the past.

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
Note those Ankle bracelets are only for the idiots who continually refuse to stay home.

I've only heard of one or two cases.

But is it really? Infected or exposed people have been violating quarantine from almost since the beginning -- going shopping, eating out, attending father-daughter dances, visiting maternity wards, etc. Too many people are selfish idiots who seem to think their "little trip to the grocery store" is more important than the health of their neighbors.

In an ideal world, we wouldn't need ankle bracelets to make sure these idiots stay home. Unfortunately, we're not in that world, and if I had this sickness, I'd much rather have an ankle bracelet than be tossed into a quarantine center with other sick people to die or get better. (This is what China did.) Here in the USA, there was also a case where a confirmed person flat-out said he wasn't going to stay home, so the police felt compelled to guard his house to protect his neighbors.

I know that most of us are strong individualists here, but people with highly contagious diseases have long been discouraged from going out in public. The method of quarantine varies, but the necessity remains. Personally, I think it's pretty cool that we have a method that's not nearly as intrusive or dangerous as what's been required in the past.
It's a tough situation. I mean there's no reason someone with C0VlD-19 should be going out into public, but people from the United States are just so used to the word "freedom" that we're not used to this.

Honestly those people with ankle bracelets are lucky in comparison to what the government can do. If you knowingly have HIV and have sex without telling someone, you're charged with attempted murder. If you knowingly have C0VlD-19 and are irresponsible, and that irresponsibility results in someone's death there could be definitely be a precedent manslaughter after all this calms down.

Last edited:

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Why aren't you saying the Influenza falls under the same problem? Not everyone gets a vaccine. There's still 3-5 million cases worldwide per year. To me, it looks like the same problem, no?

Not as aggressive as COVID? Doesn't matter. There's still deaths.

To me the biggest difference between this and the Flu is that you don't know if you have it. That is the biggest unknown and it is scary for both people who are afraid of getting it and for people who are afraid of giving it to others.

Let's say MJ wanted to do a poker night. With the flu, if you come over and are coughing, sound horrible and sniffling, everyone at the table will say, get the f*ck out of here you can't play. But most likely, the person would have never gone to poker night in the first place because he knows that he is sick.

With C0VlD-19, everyone could be feeling fine, no signs of any sickness. We play poker for 4 hours and 2 weeks later we all have it. And worse is that we all brought it back home to people we live with and can be responsible for their death.

That is the unknown that will not go away until we get a vaccination. Many people will never ever take that chance. This is why this is different.

James Klymus

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
353%
Dec 28, 2018
Chicago, Illinois
But is it really?

Yes, it is.

I don't care what the circumstances are. I don't care if its a highly contagious disease that makes me shit my pants every 5 minutes. You do not forfeit your civil liberties. Ever.

You have to draw the line some where, and forcing innocent people into ankle bracelets is not acceptable. The government is treating those people like children, and that is very, very worrisome.

Edit: I saw that they were doing this to people who were being jerks and were sick and refused to stay home. I was under the impression that they were doing it to innocent civilians.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Yes, it is.

I don't care what the circumstances are. I don't care if its a highly contagious disease that makes me shit my pants every 5 minutes. You do not forfeit your civil liberties. Ever.

You have to draw the line some where, and forcing innocent people into ankle bracelets is not acceptable. The government is treating those people like children, and that is very, very worrisome.

But this isn't a normal person walking around. It is someone that knows that they have a contagious disease. I don't think that this is an innocent person in that regard. What if this guy is the waiter serving your parents at a restaurant? Or he's behind you in line at the grocery?

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
The government is treating those people like children, and that is very, very worrisome.
The weekend after being asked to socially distance in Ireland there were a few pubs packed with people singing Neil Diamond's "Touching Me, Touching You". There were even groups of people drinking together wearing Coronovirus t-shirts. I wouldn't even say they were acting like children - that's an insult to children.

Jon L

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
272%
Aug 22, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Yes, it is.

Edit: I saw that they were doing this to people who were being jerks and were sick and refused to stay home. I was under the impression that they were doing it to innocent civilians.
when you're under an order to stay home, and you don't, you're lucky that all that happens to you is that you're now wearing an ankle bracelet.

If this gets worse, the government can declare martial law and force everyone to stay home, at gun point. So, an ankle bracelet? Yeah, its startling. But I don't care.

Jon L

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
272%
Aug 22, 2015
Bellevue, WA
The weekend after being asked to socially distance in Ireland there were a few pubs packed with people singing Neil Diamond's "Touching Me, Touching You". There were even groups of people drinking together wearing Coronovirus t-shirts. I don't even want to say they were acting like children - that's an insult to children.
Seriously. My kids know better than that.

Thoelt53

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Dec 8, 2016
Boston, MA
Note those Ankle bracelets are only for the idiots who continually refuse to stay home.

It's a tough situation. I mean there's no reason someone with C0VlD-19 should be going out into public, but people from the United States are just so used to the word "freedom" that we're not used to this.

Honestly those people with ankle bracelets are lucky in comparison to what the government can do. If you knowingly have HIV and have sex without telling someone, you're charged with attempted murder. If you knowingly have C0VlD-19 and are irresponsible, and that irresponsibility results in someone's death there could be definitely be a precedent manslaughter after all this calms down.
It’s egregious because these people haven’t been convicted of a crime, yet the state has given itself the power to lock a tracking device to their ankle.

You want to arrest these repeat offenders and give them a fair trial? By all means, the judge could even hold them without bail.

The bottom line is there needs to be due process. A crisis cannot be allowed to dissolve the fabric of our legal system.

Historically, in times of crisis, people BEG the government to expand its power to come and “save” them. The problem is that the government can’t save you, or me, and will only abuse that power in the future. There are thousands of years of precedent here, and the modern world/USA are not immune.

The US was ranked as being the most apt nation to handle a pandemic. There are areas that we now know can be improved on for the next one. Forfeiting liberties and expanding government powers WILL NOT solve this pandemic or any future pandemics.

Thoelt53

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Dec 8, 2016
Boston, MA
But this isn't a normal person walking around. It is someone that knows that they have a contagious disease. I don't think that this is an innocent person in that regard. What if this guy is the waiter serving your parents at a restaurant? Or he's behind you in line at the grocery?
He hasn’t been convicted of a crime. It is unlawful to treat an innocent person like a convict.

The man needs to be arrested, charged with a crime, and then deemed guilty of the crime in a fair trial.

That is how our legal system works.

Thoelt53

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Dec 8, 2016
Boston, MA
when you're under an order to stay home, and you don't, you're lucky that all that happens to you is that you're now wearing an ankle bracelet.

If this gets worse, the government can declare martial law and force everyone to stay home, at gun point. So, an ankle bracelet? Yeah, its startling. But I don't care.
Your lack of care is dangerous. It completely discards due process in the name of safety.

There’s a disturbing number of folks here who are deficient in history.

James Klymus

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
353%
Dec 28, 2018
Chicago, Illinois

Yeah, I edited my post. Didn't see that he was acting like a jerk and refusing to stay home.

Jon L

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
272%
Aug 22, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Your lack of care is dangerous. It completely discards due process in the name of safety.

There’s a disturbing number of folks here who are deficient in history.
Abraham Lincoln did it ... way back in history. We seemed to survive just fine.

I get what you're saying. It is dangerous. But, what's more dangerous? Bunches of people running around infecting people with a deadly virus? Or an isolated time and place where we forced people to behave?

James Klymus

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
353%
Dec 28, 2018
Chicago, Illinois
The weekend after being asked to socially distance in Ireland there were a few pubs packed with people singing Neil Diamond's "Touching Me, Touching You". There were even groups of people drinking together wearing Coronovirus t-shirts. I wouldn't even say they were acting like children - that's an insult to children.

A lot of kids my age (embarrassingly) were out in chicago drinking over st patricks day weekend (Right when people were starting to get concerned here in the US), and the bars were packed.

The mayor was PISSED

NovaAria

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
286%
Jul 18, 2018
In an ideal world, we wouldnt need to put ankle bracelets on people.

But in an ideal world, we wouldnt have this bullshit:

These people endangered themselves, their children, their parents, their whole F*cking economy because they did not take the threat seriously.

Yes, it's stepping on people's civil rights. But they are endangering everyone else and their whole country's economy.

GIlman

Still Gilman
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
605%
Oct 16, 2014

Ankle monitors have a long history of use when people refuse to observe medically mandated quarantines. Just look up Tuberculosis and ankle monitors.

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
That was my fault, I should have added the other link. Edited.

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
Some of you guys.... wow.

This is how tyranny is rolled out: with the pleading of people who are scared of their own shadow.

NovaAria

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
286%
Jul 18, 2018
If you're going to do that, then you can have the phone simply record all the other phones that get within 6' of it, and if someone tests positive, they can broadcast that information to every phone they were within 6' of within the previous two weeks.

That way, people will know if they've potentially been exposed.

I believe that this is exactly what South Korea implemented, followed quickly by China.
There is lots of talk around of implementing systems like these in many countries, mine included, but we're getting close to a 1984 kind of set up here, and no government would refuse such an opportunity...

EVMaso

Calm Seas
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Apr 28, 2019
Vancouver, Canada
You might be able to do that with bluetooth since basically everyone carries a phone at this point. If you get within 6 inches of another cellphone it can beep.
If you're going to do that, then you can have the phone simply record all the other phones that get within 6' of it, and if someone tests positive, they can broadcast that information to every phone they were within 6' of within the previous two weeks.

That way, people will know if they've potentially been exposed.

China did something like this with QR code scanners. Every time you leave your house, you have a QR code on something (not sure what it is, maybe a piece of paper? Some sort of ID) that gets scanned by a member of the party. EVERY BLOCK you get scanned. This information gets put into a database. If a scan indicates that you were near anyone who is infected, you are not allowed to go further.

It was a big twitter thread I posted a few pages back, someone was describing what their employee in China was going through.

Bekit

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
492%
Aug 13, 2018

This brings up a topic that I've been mulling over.

In Schenck v. United States, Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes made the famous statement, “The most stringent protection of free speech would not protect a man in falsely shouting fire in a theatre and causing a panic.”

Why? What's the big deal?

Because people could get killed in the resulting stampede.

Similarly, we don't give suicide bombers freedom to circulate in society with a loaded vest and backpack.

Neither do we protect the rights of an active shooter in a school, workplace, or shopping center.

If somebody was going around to hospital rooms and nursing homes and making people drink poison, there would be mass outrage.

In other words, the law has NEVER protected anyone who is going around killing people.

There's a lot of discussion around the fact that this lockdown is "taking away our rights."

But in this particular situation, we never had the right in the first place to go around killing people.

If you have the virus, YOU ARE a weapon. You circulate in society, and people could die.

So of course people with the virus should be quarantined.

If someone is like "I don't wanna," tough.

We wouldn't tolerate a school shooter who said, "I don't wanna stop killing people." They'd be taken down.

But here's where it gets really messy, and where the current policy feels super sketchy.

Let's set aside for a moment the people who KNOW they're positive and flaunt the quarantine because they're just selfish and inconsiderate like that. Hopefully that would be a minority of people, and hopefully that minority would be able to be dealt with.

What is FAR more concerning is that asymptomatic people are spreaders.
  • If I don't suspect that I might have the virus, why would I stop circulating in society?
  • Even if I suspect that I might have the virus, I cannot get tested unless I am bad enough to be hospitalized.
So nobody can know at this point who is infected. Nobody can know who it's safe to hang out with. Nobody can know where it is and isn't safe to go.

In a typical quarantine, the infected people would be isolated and separated from society.

In this case, that never happened.

Therefore, the only way for somebody like me to keep from getting infected is to quarantine MYSELF.

OK, up to this point, while it's regrettable that better quarantining and contact tracing wasn't carried out, it's all well and good if I choose to exercise my right to quarantine myself.

Where it gets really tricky, and where a lot of people are objecting (and where I admittedly haven't succeeded in sorting out my own thinking on the matter) is the fact that now it's not up to me or you to choose. EVERYONE is quarantined.

On one hand, it seems like, "duh. That's what they have to do to get this virus under control."

On the other hand, it legitimately looks like a massive overreach of power and control. And we're kidding ourselves if we think they're going to give it back when this is all over.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.