The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The Town With No Hustle

A post of a ranting nature...

Millenial_Kid5K1

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
261%
Feb 14, 2017
Atlanta
Today I'm here to tell a story. This is the city of Lagrange, Georgia:

Fwj3pTl.jpg

It's a sleepy hamlet of roughly 30,000 people, and it's the town I've had the displeasure of living in on-and-off for about 7 of the last 15 years. The town is chock-full of sidewalkers with a smattering of slowlaners.

While I've formatted this post as a rant, that's only because I've noticed all these things from a personal perspective. In reality I'm glad to be here, because I think this town provides me with a pretty vivid example of what not to do. Hopefully I can impart that to you.

On a side-note, I think the most expensive car I've seen here in 7 years was probably worth $70,000:

qnfXqNP.jpg

I only started to notice this after reading TMF , but this town has no hustle. I've outlined a few events that have opened my eyes to this place below:

1. Everyone here works a Monday-Friday 9-5, even most non-chain retailers. If I want to buy furniture, house paint, or have a repairman out to fix something on my house, I either have to take time out of work to get it done, skip lunch to get it done, or go somewhere like Atlanta on a Saturday.

2. There's an abundance of dance studios and martial arts dojos, no shortage of "entrepreneurs" "following their dreams".

3. Local sales reps for the products we need at work have no drive to sell. When I decide not to get a certain item from a certain supplier, 95% of the time I don't have to inform a salesman because there is no follow-up on my initial inquiry. This happens even if they went to the trouble of getting me a full-blown quote. Often-times these are $100,000 pieces of equipment that they aren't selling.

4. When I was looking for houses, I contacted a realtor about a 4-plex in the area. As we did the walkthrough, the realtor was mostly silent. When she did talk, she focused on the negatives of the house, like the fact that there was mold in the central heating/air system, and the insects. Maybe there's some hidden motivation there(like if the owners are paying her per month to show it to people), but either way there's some serious lack of hunger from the owners given that it's still on the market.

5. The previous owner of my duplex had tenants who had been living here 5 years on a de-facto month-to-month lease, at the same rent from 5 years ago. This meant that she was charging them 25% under fair market value in rent, simply because she was too lazy to research local rent values. She also put the house on the market at 20% less than other identical properties in the area had sold for that year. And this woman was a realtor of 30 years.

6. There are about 3 gyms in town. The first has insufficient lighting and only a smattering of ancient equipment. The second has also has poor lighting and too few machines or weights, and markets themselves as a "christian gym". The third, my gym, has good lighting and lots of weights/equipment, but has had a broken water fountain and leaking roof they haven't bothered fixing for the last 9 months. Every time I go in after a big rain, I expect to see 8-10 buckets catching drips throughout, and puddles of water where they've missed the leaks.

7. When I first bought my duplex, it came with a lawnmower man. Aside from upping the cost for me from $25/mow to $37.5/mow, he was 10 days late on his first mow. Then he asked me when the last time it was mowed because he "pretty much had to do a full month service on it". I fired him on the spot. (For those in drier parts of the world, you HAVE to mow every 10-14 days here.)

8. I found a local plumber with good ratings on angie's list to install a new sink for my tenants(the one they were using had worn completely through from decades of use). He would have had to turn off the water main to fix it. When I got back from work, I had no water pressure, and my water main was busted. I called him hoping it was a simple fix and he'd be willing to fix it up, since he would have been the only one near the main when it broke. It was a simple fix, but he accused me of using him for a dollar, and talked over me, wouldn't even let me finish a sentence. This was the owner of the company.

9. Just this last Saturday my girlfriend and I went to a local flea market to walk around. You wouldn't believe some of the stands at this thing. I probably saw 30 tables piled with crap I'd estimate to be worth less than $100 total. These people are spending their entire Saturday piling this crap into a vehicle, sitting in one place for 8 hours, and packing the rest up and taking it home for essentially minimum wage or less.

Stay hungry, guys and gals. Don't be like the people of Lagrange, GA.

Full disclosure: I don't actually live in Lagrange. This post is about a very similar town in Georgia.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 3, 2015

Fwj3pTl.jpg

It's a sleepy hamlet of roughly 30,000 people, and it's the town I've had the displeasure of living in on-and-off for about 7 of the last 15 years. The town is chock-full of sidewalkers with a smattering of slowlaners.

While I've formatted this post as a rant, that's only because I've noticed all these things from a personal perspective. In reality I'm glad to be here, because I think this town provides me with a pretty vivid example of what not to do. Hopefully I can impart that to you.

On a side-note, I think the most expensive car I've seen here in 7 years was probably worth $70,000:

qnfXqNP.jpg

I only started to notice this after reading TMF , but this town has no hustle. I've outlined a few events that have opened my eyes to this place below:

1. Everyone here works a Monday-Friday 9-5, even most non-chain retailers. If I want to buy furniture, house paint, or have a repairman out to fix something on my house, I either have to take time out of work to get it done, skip lunch to get it done, or go somewhere like Atlanta on a Saturday.

2. There's an abundance of dance studios and martial arts dojos, no shortage of "entrepreneurs" "following their dreams".

3. Local sales reps for the products we need at work have no drive to sell. When I decide not to get a certain item from a certain supplier, 95% of the time I don't have to inform a salesman because there is no follow-up on my initial inquiry. This happens even if they went to the trouble of getting me a full-blown quote. Often-times these are $100,000 pieces of equipment that they aren't selling.

4. When I was looking for houses, I contacted a realtor about a 4-plex in the area. As we did the walkthrough, the realtor was mostly silent. When she did talk, she focused on the negatives of the house, like the fact that there was mold in the central heating/air system, and the insects. Maybe there's some hidden motivation there(like if the owners are paying her per month to show it to people), but either way there's some serious lack of hunger from the owners given that it's still on the market.

5. The previous owner of my duplex had tenants who had been living here 5 years on a de-facto month-to-month lease, at the same rent from 5 years ago. This meant that she was charging them 25% under fair market value in rent, simply because she was too lazy to research local rent values. She also put the house on the market at 20% less than other identical properties in the area had sold for that year. And this woman was a realtor of 30 years.

6. There are about 3 gyms in town. The first has insufficient lighting and only a smattering of ancient equipment. The second has also has poor lighting and too few machines or weights, and markets themselves as a "christian gym". The third, my gym, has good lighting and lots of weights/equipment, but has had a broken water fountain and leaking roof they haven't bothered fixing for the last 9 months. Every time I go in after a big rain, I expect to see 8-10 buckets catching drips throughout, and puddles of water where they've missed the leaks.

7. When I first bought my duplex, it came with a lawnmower man. Aside from upping the cost for me from $25/mow to $37.5/mow, he was 10 days late on his first mow. Then he asked me when the last time it was mowed because he "pretty much had to do a full month service on it". I fired him on the spot. (For those in drier parts of the world, you HAVE to mow every 10-14 days here.)

8. I found a local plumber with good ratings on angie's list to install a new sink for my tenants(the one they were using had worn completely through from decades of use). He would have had to turn off the water main to fix it. When I got back from work, I had no water pressure, and my water main was busted. I called him hoping it was a simple fix and he'd be willing to fix it up, since he would have been the only one near the main when it broke. It was a simple fix, but he accused me of using him for a dollar, and talked over me, wouldn't even let me finish a sentence. This was the owner of the company.

9. Just this last Saturday my girlfriend and I went to a local flea market to walk around. You wouldn't believe some of the stands at this thing. I probably saw 30 tables piled with crap I'd estimate to be worth less than $100 total. These people are spending their entire Saturday piling this crap into a vehicle, sitting in one place for 8 hours, and packing the rest up and taking it home for essentially minimum wage or less.

Full disclosure: I don't actually live in Lagrange. This post is about a very similar town in Georgia.

Perhaps the irony is, that the Lagrange point in space, is where the gravitational force from two heavenly bodies equalises and allows you to park your spaceship or satellite, in order to just sit there and observe.

Lagrange Points: Parking Places In Space

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
443%
May 27, 2013
United States

You sure it was laziness and not intentional strategy?

My land lord has been in the game 50 years, owns 30-40 houses outright, and charges rent below market rate.

He is super picky about his tenants, and goes for ones who stay long-term. At below market, he has his pick of the litter, and has houses rented out in a few days usually. In 4 years, he hasn't raised my rent, even though the real-estate market has exploded since then.

I'd venture to guess that picking top notch tenants that don't move out and don't cause problems, makes up for the loss of rent in the amount it saves on the vacancy rate, and the lack of headaches.

Millenial_Kid5K1

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
261%
Feb 14, 2017
Atlanta
You sure it was laziness and not intentional strategy?

My land lord has been in the game 50 years, owns 30-40 houses outright, and charges rent below market rate.

He is super picky about his tenants, and goes for ones who stay long-term. At below market, he has his pick of the litter, and has houses rented out in a few days usually. In 4 years, he hasn't raised my rent, even though the real-estate market has exploded since then.

I'd venture to guess that picking top notch tenants that don't move out and don't cause problems, makes up for the loss of rent in the amount it saves on the vacancy rate, and the lack of headaches.
I'd be surprised. While I won't disclose details of the 5-year tenants' rental application, they were...pretty hardcore sidewalkers, and gamers of the system. No credit check was ever run.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
It's not your town, it's just people in general.

Sounds like anywhere, USA.

Living the SCRIPT, as @MJ DeMarco would say.

Yea, I'm not seeing anything here terribly unusual.

You're simply immersed in a SCRIPTED environment. It is everywhere, some places more than others.

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia

Fwj3pTl.jpg

qnfXqNP.jpg

Well, you are being harsh on the SCRIPTED folks!
I'll go with @amp0193 on the notion that it's the same everywhere.
This is sadly because 90% of the population usually decide to subject themselves under the authority of outside control. As a result, you'll see people depending on the government, some religion, parents, qualifications, and end up blaming them for their mishaps. We are a social species, in which we need interaction with others to survive or even thrive, but well, that ability has also become our weakness.

Look, don't be bothered about those geeks. Let them live their lives peacefully.
But if you notice, there's a heavy question(s) to ask.

Why is the town 'quiet'? Is it because people can't work on their dreams? Did they fail and gave up because they had no access to resources?
Compare the town to a bustling center, say NY or Manhattan. Yup, they are urban areas, but in the beginning, they were just woody villages. Only with the utilization of these locations as centers for the distribution and generation of entrepreneural did they flourish. Perhps there has been a lack of any substantial advancement of tech or business efficiency in the area that would result in more business build-ups and jobs, bringing life back to the town.

Success in business is good because it is shared among everybody. After Henry Ford came up with the car assembly line, other car manufacturers followed and made fortunes too. I need not continue with Silicon Valley or General Electric.

Most towns or locations would have a kind of comparative advantage. NY and Manhattan are both strategical points to become melting pots. That is an example of a comparative advantage, which ultimate could become your USP. See if the town used the be good in offering service X or product Y. I checked the town's website and discovered a majority of its jobs lie in production.....hmmm.....
LaGrange GA Economy data

Other vital parts like sales and even training seem to be on the low, even their median salaries (gasp). I may not be accurate, but I look at salaries for a brief look on the difficulty of their work. Difficult work means that there is a good opportunity. Could it be that such similar sectors are undermanned? A region that relies on business with stable sales and marketing workforce, let alone Fastlane, needs substantial human resources.

Go out. Network. Read up their business news, look what they lack. There should be a reason for it. I suspect that you are not the only one in your town to complain how dry it is. But you'll do well to capitalise on this complaint as a potential need, if you want to.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Look, don't be bothered about those geeks.

You shouldn't think negatively or judge people simply trying to live their life. They shouldn't be labeled in any fashion that suggests inferiority. The categorizations I suggest (slowlane/sidewalk/scripted) are simply that -- a category highlighting certain behaviors.

My message isn't for these folks ... it's for people who can see the paradigm of obedience and want out.

Millenial_Kid5K1

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
261%
Feb 14, 2017
Atlanta
It's not your town, it's just people in general.

Sounds like anywhere, USA.

Living the SCRIPT, as @MJ DeMarco would say.

Yea, I'm not seeing anything here terribly unusual.

You're simply immersed in a SCRIPTED environment. It is everywhere, some places more than others.

I'll go with @amp0193 on the notion that it's the same everywhere.
This is the best news I've heard in a long time! So many opportunities to set myself apart by the mere act of being hungry for success, whether in big cities or small!!

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
You shouldn't think negatively or judge people simply trying to live their life. They shouldn't be labeled in any fashion that suggests inferiority. The categorization is simply that -- a category highlighting certain behaviors.

My message isn't for these folks ... it's for people who can see the paradigm of obedience and want out.

No, I'm not suggesting inferiority. I'm suggesting their focus on their respective choices. They focus on just getting by with the same degree of intensity we have for our UNSCRIPTED positivity. Perhaps my choice of words was rather harsh.

Thanks for the reminder.

antboy

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
May 12, 2013
South Florida

Fwj3pTl.jpg

qnfXqNP.jpg

I have to say, I'm from Lagrange lol. And this thread to so appropriate.

I AM THE SENATE

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
May 16, 2017
My brother's wife is from Lagrange. Everyone who has any brains or hustle moves to Atlanta as soon as possible. Then they move on from there if Atlanta isn't good enough.

Imgal

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Aug 9, 2015
Oh be-jebus. All those problems that are just waiting to be solved by some hard working entrepreneur.

Exactly what I was thinking! The town my family live in has been pretty dead for as long as I can remember. For a long while I hated it for it... in recent years I've come to love it because people are so far behind that there's a world of opportunity for entrepreneurs.

There's a thought that you need to be only one step ahead to be valuable to someone. Just having turned on the internet here for a long time made me 20 steps ahead.

The things that annoy you about the slow life should never be seen as a negative as an entrepreneur. That is where the money lies.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
There are a lot worse communities like Detroit, Michigan that feel to pieces. There are ghost towns all over the place. People go where the money is and you can see the trend through the centuries people change geographical locations. This can be due to how much money the State and local communities have to promote jobs. Muskegon, Michigan is an example the last few years with State Police being called in because of know jobs.
When communities don't have money, the motivation of their residents, property value, and self-esteem all have a cause and effect on the community.
If you don't like your community, move! Simple answer.

Philip Marlowe

Every Day On, No Days Off
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Apr 28, 2017
NE

^ - Ha - this! MJ linked your thread in a similar post I started and now I'm wondering how I missed the martial arts. There are like 10 karate dojo's in my town!

Millenial_Kid5K1

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
261%
Feb 14, 2017
Atlanta
^ - Ha - this! MJ linked your thread in a similar post I started and now I'm wondering how I missed the martial arts. There are like 10 karate dojo's in my town!
Ha! I meant to post in your thread, but I didn't have anything enlightening to say other than "Yup, I've noticed this too!"

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.