The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The Surrender Experiment: My Journey into Life's Perfection - by Michael A. Singer

What is the "true" surrender? (See post #6)

• Move as you originally reasoned.

Votes: 13 76.5%
  • Stay put and pay the tax.

Votes: 4 23.5%

• Total voters

MetalGear

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
258%
Jan 24, 2017
Narnia
I am listening to the Untethered Soul as I make dinner and I get why @MTF says it is more practical

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Ahfraser

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
May 11, 2022
I was long looking for the answer to this dilemma.

Does surrender mean that we don't have to act to external events and accept everything that comes in our way?

Inside ourselves, yes, we always want to surrender (accept reality).

Outside, instead, we can deal with situations AFTER we have dealt with the emotion inside ourselves.

This is is how Michael Singer puts it:
"don't think that because you accept the reality it means you don't deal with things. You do deal with them. You just deal with them as events that are taking place on the planet Earth, and not as personal problems."

Letting go inside ourselves is limitless.
It makes me so happy that you all are connected with Micheal Singer’s work. his work and MJs work actually make me tear up with happiness.

mikecarlooch

Apprentice & Student Of The Game
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
344%
Jan 28, 2022
Florida
Today I surrendered.

For the last week I've been debating about hiring someone to re-narrate the TMF audiobook and its 10th Anniversary Edition, or doing it myself. I've flipped flopped several times.

I ultimately decided to do it myself since a lot of readers prefer that authors read their own work. And the original is read by me. The problem is, recording and finishing takes a god-awful lot of time. But I did it before, and I know I can do it again.

Today I started.

I spent 2 hours in my little silent audiobook room recording a few chapters. Took forever to just do two chapters.

After finishing, I checked the voice recordings and for some reason, they did not record properly. Basically, the recording was unusable and I wasted hours of my day.

After getting upset about it, I re-framed the mishap and figured I should "surrender" and take this as a sign. And boy was this a sign.

That said, I will not re-narrate the audiobook and instead I will hire it out. Doing so should save me literally weeks, perhaps months of my time. And the quality likely will be better.

I know some folks won't be happy, but to get all "woowoo" on ya, the *universe* doesn't want me to do it.
The guy who narrated unscripted was phenomenal

MetalGear

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
258%
Jan 24, 2017
Narnia
I got both books, which order do you recommend other people read them in?

Tiago

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
162%
Mar 22, 2014
I’ve read both books and done his course. They are enormously helpful in life.

What do you feel is counter-intuitive?

SPM_ENT

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
234%
Aug 1, 2017
Los Angeles
This book should be discussed along with The Untethered Soul because otherwise it IMO doesn't have enough context (the author himself said that this book was written to show how the approach from the previous book works in real life).

I'm now going through his course (Living from a Place of Surrender) which is meant to expand on the book and help practice it in everyday life.
Woah I didn't know that!
tumblr_inline_pdku97Tuwx1qftdvd_540.gif
I really enjoyed the Surrender Experiment after reluctantly picking it up. Ordering The Untethered Soul and adding it to the pile now.

Mckenzie

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
151%
Aug 25, 2013

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
Sorry for the side tangent, but some supplemental material to Singer's work I've found helpful (and I'm only a few chapters in) is the work by David R. Hawkins..

Haha I have two of his books and the writing is difficult to understand. The consciousness hierarchy and points system is confusing. LOL

But it is intuitive.

Last edited:

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
Sorry for the side tangent, but some supplemental material to Singer's work I've found helpful (and I'm only a few chapters in) is the work by David R. Hawkins...

Letting Go: The Pathway of Surrender: Hawkins M.D. Ph.D, David R.: 8601420019690: Amazon.com: Books

View attachment 36344

Power vs. Force: Hawkins M.D. Ph.D, David R.: 9781401945077: Amazon.com: Books

I read it a few years ago. I remember he gave some very questionable pseudo-scientific advice and that makes me skeptical of it.

Example:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GlJfPBgdPM

His scale of consciousness and measuring it with "muscle testing" is weird to say the least.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
D

Deleted78083

I've selfishly added a POLL to this thread regarding my "surrendering choice" as I posted in #6, curious to think what the other readers of this book think about what the true surrender choice is.

Please DO NOT vote unless you've read Singer's work.

Feel free to continue to discuss these books, I get the feeling I will be bumping this thread often.

I didn't read Singer's work, but related to your question about taxes, if a burglar comes during the day to steal your TV, will you start shooting at him, or "let it go because this is life?"

Letting go has limits.

TonyStark

I'm not dead yet
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Jul 20, 2015
Austin, Texas
Loved the book which had a ton of entrepreneurial angles (later in the book).

Very true, but there is also some subjectivity to what constitutes "surrender."

Just to give you an example ...

Arizona just raised state income taxes by 77% on high income earners.

Before this law was passed, I was already considering moving out of state. However once I learned about this law potentially passing, I reasoned, "If the law passes, I will move"-- I'll let "life" decide.

Sure enough, it passed. So now I'm moving.

So one might say I let "whatever happens" dictate what I do.

The other subjective aspect of this is to posit that NOT MOVING is to surrender, to stay put and pay the tax.

All in all, you really don't know which choice is the true "surrender".

Surrendering does not mean to give up, or to relinquish control. It means to CONSIDER what life is throwing at you as a possible alternative.
Where ya moving to?

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
On a follow up to this, 4 days after I made this decision, a voice actor joined to become a Fastlane Insider. He posted an intro and I asked him to submit an audition. At the time, I was auditioning for voice-actors on Voices. Had 30+ auditions and only a few were candidates for acceptance. The new insider, @BrunoMars , submitted an audition and I liked it the best.

I find it oddly serendipitous...
Amazing how stuff like this happens. That’s for sharing that story.

Sid781

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
60%
Jul 14, 2020
USA
ive been hearing about this book and want to read it!

Last edited:

shinshin88

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jan 9, 2023
I haven’t voted, because I feel that it’s a decision that is ultimately up to you and only you can know which the surrender choice is. I haven’t read this book “The Surrender Experiment” but I have read “Untethered Soul” and also listened to “Untethered Soul at Work”.

As far as I understand Singer, what he means by “surrender” is similar to what he means by “letting go”. In both cases it’s about an attitude of the soul towards what is happening. It’s surrendering the need for obsessing over what is happening, being free of the psychological hangups and self-blaming that often arise when we’re put in difficult situations. So letting go isn’t about a specific set of actions or non-actions... but rather about how we mentally relate to those actions or non-actions. To illustrate:

Suppose you’re sitting in a bus next to a drunkard and it annoys you. If there is an emtpy seat close by, letting go doesn’t mean that you go on sitting there and being annoyed. You get up, and move without further thought. But suppose now that there is no other seat available... in this case letting go is staying where you are but at peace with the situation, not obsessing about being next to the drunkard and continuing to fuel your feeling of annoyance.

So thats why in this situation you mentioned I feel letting go can be either choice, and what it is depends on the person making it. Will you stay where you currently are, and always think that you should have moved and avoided the tax? If so, then that’s not letting go. Will you move and start thinking you’ve made the wrong choice, and you like the new place less? Then that wouldn’t be letting go.

My 2c.
Hi there,

I'd love to add another scenario for discussion. In my previous rented homes I've been averse to slamming doors, noisy tenants having random visitors over etc. In recovery, I have learnt how to set boundaries and be clear about my 'needs'. So I am looking for my next home to be peaceful and being clear about that intention.

I am scared about the idea of releasing these desires, saying yes to the first flat I see on Spareroom and ending up living somewhere that is noisy, dirty and chaotic, where I have no boundaries and live with people who do not either.

Sooooo... with MS's theory, where do boundaries stand in your opinion? I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Best Wishes

Shireen

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.