The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The Road To Self-Discovery

D

DeletedUser394

So for these past few years (I'd estimate 6 years), I've had grandiose ideas and dreams and visions of what I would accomplish in life.

In these visions I imagined building the world's largest skyscrapers, waste management facilities, electricity production facilities, the greenest golf courses, the hottest clubs, the nicest planes, and owning pro sports teams among other things.

I just assumed that it would be easy, that every thing I did would be a success. I didn't think failure would apply to me.

Man was I wrong.

Reality started to set in. I used to talk such a big game, and talk about what amazing things I was going to accomplish 'in the future'.

I thought everything I touched would turn to gold. I was naive. Success, it turns out, is reserved for those who persevere... for those few who willingly move out of their comfort zones and who seek more out of life.

I had some successes, yes. I even became the person 'Most likely to rule the world' as voted by my entire graduating year.

I flaunted my success, and lost it all.

Now I have $400 to my name.

I get up 3 hours before the sun rises, in order to work for someone that I hate.

People like to say that mistakes are only mistakes if you haven't learned something from them. I've learned my mistakes, I see where I've went wrong, but my willpower just isn't there. I want it so bad, but I get frustrated and depressed that I don't have it yet.

I say I'll make changes some day 'in the future'. But that day is always that.. in the future. That day never comes.

I have no idea as to the specifics of what I want, and I have no idea how I'm going to accomplish them.

People are always preaching to set specific, measurable goals. I've done this many times, and yet it doesn't inspire me to do anything.

I've come to realize I only want three things;

1. Great friends
2. To make a difference in the world
3. To have the financial means to do whatever I want, whenever I want.

1 and 2 I can do already.

1) Yes, I might not be famous or well known today, but that doesn't mean that I can't start finding like minded individuals today.

2) Yes, I might not have the means to start a multi-million dollar foundation today, but that doesn't mean that I can't volunteer and/or donate small amounts to charity.

3) I don't have a set figure. $10M, $100M, $250M, $1B.. it's not that important to me. I want my life to amount to something more than a dollar sign.

I want to use money to enjoy life, to improve the lives of others around the world, and to provide great experiences for people.

I don’t know enough about myself at this point in my life to even begin to contemplate what I truly want, and who I want to be.

So I’m placing no specific goals on myself, and no timetable for completion. I’m not even going to commit to posting once a day, bi weekly, or bi monthly.

I’ll only post in this thread when I have something relevant to contribute.

Nothing has worked for me in the past, so it’s time I switch it up a bit.

I’ve already lost everything (My friends, my family, my home, my health, my happiness), so there’s not much more I can lose.

“It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything.â€

I have nothing to lose, and everything to gain.

And it doesn’t start tomorrow, it starts right now.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

jen

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Mar 2, 2011
Your 18 my friend, you have more of a leg up on the competition then you will ever know.

bflbob

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Jul 25, 2007
Endicott, New York, United States
Ryan:

Living on the edge is never easy.

I think you know far more than you think you know.

You say you've lost all your friends, yet you can count many here.

You lost one family, yet you've found another here.

You've lost your home, but but not your home here.

Your health and happiness are things only you can handle, yet you have more of both than many of the poor souls in Japan do right now.

I was so hoping to meet you in Phoenix, because I've always thought of you as an inspiring young man,

I'll count on you being there next year.

Bob

PS: I've been at the bottom. Everything gets better from that point, but it still doesn't come easy.

Milenko

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Mar 6, 2011
Cleveland, OH
Setting long-term or overly defined goals has never worked for me either - I think what I want (freedom) is too ephemeral to serve as much day to day motivation. Instead, every day I try to take a small step forward or reach a small goal in as many areas of my life as possible.

Yesterday I got to 1.75 miles in my run and decided to push myself past 2 miles. Small victory but I'm a tiny bit farther ahead fitness-wise than I was before.

Yesterday I wasted several hours trying to fit an html template I bought into the admin area of a web application I'm building. I finally realized that it offers way more functionality than I needed and found another that's much less complex. I wasted some time but ended up refocused on what I'm trying to accomplish with this project and I won't waste more time in the same way in the future.

As you say, it can be overwhelming to try figure out what you truly want (I'm 40 and I don't have it completely worked out yet) and thus difficult to figure out what long term goals will get you there. You sound like you're coming from a position of strength as far as your attitude - just take it day by day and try to move one step forward in as many areas of success in your life as possible. Once you start building that momentum with tiny goals how you define and reach your big goals will become a lot more clear.

D

DeletedUser394

I believe that sub-consciously, most people truly want their lives to amount to something more than simply consuming products and producing waste. It's a shame that most people never rise above this.

I want my life to amount to something incredible. I want to inspire people to reach new heights.

I've decided that I don't want to build a business empire (aka Trump). I'd rather make enough money to be able to produce a large passive income, and then stop business pursuits completely, in order to focus on charity/activism work.

I don't need nearly as much money as I thought I would. For instance I wanted a Gulfstream G650. $65 million dollars, not including operating costs. No thank you.

I'd rather just get a Jet Card for a tiny fraction of the cost.

Still, I'm not sure what the exact number is that I'll need, but I'll figure it out soon enough.

D

DeletedUser394

Getting my CT scan results on Thursday. I've been waiting 6 long, and at times horribly frustrating/sad months for this day.

Nervous, scared, and yet extremely relieved that I'll finally be getting closer to finding out if it really is cancer, and how much it has spread. (There's a 99.9% probability of it being malignant).

Not letting it get to me too much, taking it one day at a time.

I'm slowly working on my goals list, which I'll post soon.

Sparlin

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Feb 23, 2009
Wichita, Kansas
Hey Ryan, I hope the results are favorable, accurate, and that you can put this chapter of your life behind you. It's terrible that you had to wait 6 months. I'll say a prayer for ya.

D

DeletedUser394

NEGATIVE on ALL my tests!!!

In other words, the likelyhood that I have cancer went from 99% to 0.01%!

Time to take over the world and turn my life around!

:D

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas

In other words, the likely that I have cancer went from 99% to 0.01%!

Woot. Time to dance!:banana:

Ironwill

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Aug 1, 2008

Amen to that brother...

Ask any self made success worth their salt, and they will tell you that the journey comprises of both unprecedented elation in victory AS WELL AS manic lows. It might sound trite, but it's nevertheless true; the sweet does not taste as sweet without the bitter. The journey is what defines us... Transforms us into the best versions of ourselves that we can possibly become (hopefully!) and those with the gumption to persevere are eventually rewarded with success...

Remember to find the joy in life regardless of the circumstances you find yourself in; unfortunately, it took the death of a close friend and one of the best men I have had the privilege of knowing for me to fully grasp this concept. Embrace the journey, because therein lies the true value of this entire pursuit.

Celebrate the small wins. You'll get there.

A

Anon3587x

If the world was going to end tommorow,
I would still plant an apple tree today.

desinaner

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
4%
Jan 7, 2009

That's awesome!

I gotta say man, I feel like I am lucky to be 'in the game' at 20 years old, nice and young. But you seem so focused at such an early age, you are bound to do great things. I enjoy reading you posts, especially on stocks.

You can now do whatever it is you wish. :)

FDJustin

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Apr 30, 2010
Canada

Awesome! I've been rooting for you!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!