• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Trading Life for a Weekend?
    Build a Business, Build a Life.
    Unleash the Dream.

Become an UNSCRIPTED™Entrepreneur.

UNSCRIPTED™ Entrepreneurship is an entrepreneurial business strategy that unleashes dreams, frees time, and explodes your incomes—but more importantly, it changes your life forever. Make no mistake; this isn’t something you “try”— this is something you live.

FREE Download (Unscripted) FREE Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

Progress Thread The Road to a wholesome Unscripted Life

Discussion in 'Progress/Execution Threads' started by Xeon, Sep 11, 2017.

FORUM SEARCH

Need answers about entrepreneurship? Search FIRST! More than likely your entrepreneurial topic has already been discussed.
Powered by Google Site Search.
  1. Xeon

Xeon Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $536
    My introduction is here: Introduction - 75% through the Unscripted book and about to launch my first real business soon!

After soaking in the aura of this positive and informative forum, I've decided to start a progress thread for accountability. I did something like this many years back (but for art-progress and not business) and I saw the benefits of this sort of thread.

I can't guarantee I'll be able to post here regularly as I intend to spend most of my time working on my business : pet industry, product-based business.

2. Xeon

Xeon Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $536
    Monday today. Morning now. In the office with my boss sitting right next to me, occasionally looking at my screen. This is the Ultimate Scripted Life.

There's one thing I hate about MJ's book : after reading Unscripted, you start to really hate your Scripted Life. I was immune to the Scripted life previously but now I can see how meaningless it is.

Tonight, when I get home, I'm gonna make a list of the final product samples I need, then email the supplier, and have them shipped over to me via the fastest delivery possible (though it will cost more).

On top of that, I'm gonna note down the issues in the website and compile them, so that in the next 2 weeks when it's done, I'll send them to the developer for fixing.

Seems that in the meantime while waiting for final product samples, there's nothing much for me to do as I'm still in the product development phase (nearing the end though). I'll also pin down which are the marketing channels I'll focus on, but it'll be mostly Instagram as I'm active there, and I might consider paid advertising in reddit too (there's an active sub-reddit where my audience is right there).

On a side note, tonight I'll dream of the Lamborghini Veneno and how awesome their horsepower level is compared to the average car on the road. It will definitely make girls swoon!

3. Xeon

Xeon Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $536
    Finished Unscripted yesterday.

Near the end, I skipped that small section on the 3 money pots, because that's way too far ahead for me.
    The part before that, where MJ talks about making choices in life, makes me feel he should write a 3rd book wholly devoted to self-improvement. Best darn advice ever.

Unscripted showed me a world that I never even knew existed before. Through Unscripted, I learnt to think bigger.

I've always thought people who drive BMWs / Mercedes Benz cars were the biggest baddest gods in town.

The start of this year 2017, I aimed for a US$120 salary increase yearly at my 9-to-6 job, and aimed to earn approx US$3200 / mth when I reach 40 yrs old, by trading time for money.

After reading Unscripted, I laughed at all my old pathetic goals and what a sorry sad excuse of a human I've become!

MJ showed me a world where all of a sudden, BMWs / Benz started feeling like Toyotas to me.
    I'm gonna try my best to incorporate CENTS into my business and try every possible method to value-skew the crap out of my business.

Unscripted also taught me that it's POSSIBLE to get rich without scamming people and resorting to unscrupulous business tactics.
    I always assumed to get rich and drive lambos, one has to lie and cheat his way up the corporate ladder!

I'm reading chapter 3 of TMF now at Google Books (trial version).
    I will buy it next Tuesday once my pathetic paycheck comes in. Nowadays, I'm scared to see my bank balance.

Yesterday, while reading TMF on the train, I chuckled loud. LOL.
    See this sentence in the book:

[​IMG]

I've also subscribed to this daily free viral growth loop newsletter which seems pretty legit.
    If it ends up like some "back-end sales funnel" crap as mentioned in Unscripted, I'm gonna mark it as spam.

I've placed an order for the product samples, they should be arriving within 5 - 9 working days.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
    jon.a, MJ DeMarco and mo3 like this.
  4. Xeon

Xeon Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $536
    Today, while reading TMF, on page 42 of the book, MJ wrote about how wealth = community, impacting the lives of others, and how the richest moments of his life occured when he's surrounded by family and loved ones.

Once again, this is a bit of a shocking revelation to me, because I always thought wealth = buying super cars and watches and taking photos of these and uploading to Facebook to make everyone swoon and envy you. Kinda like a penis contest. I guess the gist of it is to be genuine to people and live life together with them happily, and not about showing off how financially successful you are on social media (although I would love to have a few "big-breasted models" as mentioned in the book).

I'm now beginning to see things in a different light, hopefully, this will also influence my thinking towards people, that $$$ cannot buy real relationships, and that trying to earn more $$$ in order to buy super cars will not solve all my life's problems.

Still waiting for the product samples to arrive. In the meantime by the end of next week Fri, I'll be making a list of value attributes where I can skew my product towards.

5. sparechange

sparechange Bronze Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $919
    cool to see we are in the same industry, will be following!

have you made any sales?

Xeon likes this.
  6. Brander

Brander Bronze Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $340
    The only wholesome way is wholesomeness.

Xeon likes this.
  7. Xeon

Xeon Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $536
    Nope, will only be launching in end Oct. Are you building your brand on FB? I'm using IG and find that it helps to give genuine comments on my followers' posts. Instead of saying generic things like "lol cool!", it works better to say "that's a nice blue bow he's wearing, I want one too!"

sparechange likes this.
  8. sparechange

Rep Bank:
    $919
    ah ok, yes using facebook to build brand. have a youtube channel aswell although it has 0 views. would like to get an instagram setup eventually just dont have the latest phone atm.

maybe one day we'll sign an 8 figure deal together! lol

9. sparechange

Rep Bank:
    $919
    check out alex becker on utube, i find his videos very informative, are you doing merchandise or food?

Xeon likes this.
  10. Xeon

Xeon Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $536
    U should use IG as soon as u can. The engagement rate there is a lot higher compared to FB. Also, since IG is a highly visual platform, it's just nice to post memes and cute pics.

I'm doing merch for a start but my end goal is to sell non-merch custom pet products under my brand.

So what colour of Koeniggsegg Agera are you looking at?

sparechange likes this.
  11. sparechange

Rep Bank:
    $919

hm, for sure insta in the future, merchandise is the way to start! maybe in the future ill consider food/treats.

no koeniggsegg for me, ill start off with a porsche!

Xeon likes this.
  12. Xeon

Xeon Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $536
    I went through a list of value attributes that I can work on yesterday. The list is from Unscripted but I added a few that were specific to my business:

PRODUCT / PRICING VALUE ATTRIBUTES

Brand - My business model is based on the brand concept. I'm selling a want rather than a need (customers can still eat and breathe without my products but it will cause great inconvenience to their, and their pets', lives). So based on one page in the Unscripted book, I need to work the marketing angle. My logo design and website photos are all crafted to reinforce my brand.

Product design - In terms of aesthetics, my products look way better than most of my competitors out there. As a day-job designer who's been doing this for 5 years now, this is one of my USP.

Price - Slightly higher than average. I'm banking on the concept of selling a mid-end brand that jives with my target audience's lifestyle and interests. Sometimes pricing a product too low = people think it's crappy. I'm going for a mid-end pricing approach (think Samsung rather than Apple).

Product features - About average, might be slightly better but not stellar. All my direct/indirect competitors are about the same and they're all banking on more of the marketing/aesthetics factor. Just like white-label sports supplements / moisturizing creams. Two different companies sell the same moisturizing cream manufactured from the same maker (but sold under different labels and brand), but Company A sells better on Amazon.

Price Ambiguity - Not sure what is the book's definition of this, but I assume it's the same as the Ambiguity / Risk-aversion effect. I've this covered since I'll be offering product guarantees. See " CUSTOMER VALUE ATTRIBUTES" list below.

Packaging - Not enough money to create fancy branded novelty packaging now, but this is high on my to-do list once sales start coming in. I want my brand to have a flashy and high "ommph!" factor.

Comfort - My products are comfortable to use. Not top of the line yet but I'll look into that once sales comes in. No money for this now.

Included / excluded ingredient - I'll check with my manufacturer to see if they use toxic elements in my products. If no, I'll use that as part of my marketing.

SOCIAL PROOF VALUE ATTRIBUTES

Compelling Story (About Us)
    - My About Us page isn't emotional enough. I don't have an inspiring story like Zuckerberg/Gates/Jobs/Henry Ford/MJ. I'm going to work on this since About Us pages are one of the most visited pages on most sites. I'm still apprehensive about putting my own photo up there as I don't want my day job employer to find out LOL. Should I use an alias too?

Bribed reviews - Wanted to buy reviews from Fiverr but I'm scared to sleep at night. As they say, karma comes sooner or later.

Affiliation / Associations - Not affiliated with any organization right now. No street cred. Nothing much I can do.

Public reviews - None at this point. Business not launched.

Celebrity endorsements - Zero. But I pray that Kylie Jenner will stumble upon my product, use it and take pics of it, post it on social media, then it might go viral, and I can immediately tell the salesman "This is a cashier's check of US$4.2 million. I want that Koeniggsegg Agera S over there. I want a Yes or a No."

SHIPPING VALUE ATTRIBUTES

Shipping cost - About industry average (slightly lower than some of my competitors) but there's a lot of room for improvement. Once the business gets bigger, I'll see if there's a way to bring this down even slightly. I'm impressed with how Amazon / other eCommerce retailers can offer free shipping in some cases. Maybe they absorbed the cost in the product selling price?

Shipping speed - Processing / turnaround time for my products is a few days faster than most competitors. Shipping speed itself (USPS, UPS, FEDEX) is outside of my control. One of my to-dos in future is to reduce the processing time to 1 - 2 business days. Not sure what's the average processing time for most eCommerce shops in general but it seems to vary wildly.

CUSTOMER VALUE ATTRIBUTES

Professionalism - I'll be professional in my dealings with customers. When faced with customers who come out from the asylum, I'll just ignore them only after all efforts to serve them goes down the drain.

Customer engagement - I comment and like my target audience's Instagram accounts daily (not generic comments). Once business launches, I'll be hosting giveaways a couple times per month to drive eyeballs and subscribers to my website/email list. I'll offer vouchers to customers who send me pics with them using my products and I'll post those pics on my site as social proof! Everybody wins and I want my customers to feel good about being associated with my brand.

Customer Service - See Professionalism above. In addition, I will listen to and fulfill all unreasonable customer demands as long as they are low in number compared to the overall customer base.

Guarantee - I offer 30-day product guarantees on my products with no need for returns.
    Refund policy - See Guarantee above.

WEBSITE-RELATED VALUE ATTRIBUTES

Ease of Ordering - Standard WooCommerce shop. I've PayPal Express on my store in addition to the normal checkout. Not sure if Stripe is worth the hassle but I'm leaving it out now.

Website design - Clean website design with a single purpose : for customers to shop. This is the 8 - 9th iteration of my website. The previous ones look messy in comparison.

Ambience - If it's "website ambience", then it jives with my target audience : young hipster people with dogs aged 18 - 35 who are active on social media.

Security - My website has SSL and payments go through PayPal. I also subscribe to a popular brand of anti-virus that runs daily malware scans on my site and has the anti-virus site seal displayed.
    Payment Options - PayPal only. But via PayPal, customers can also pay via credit cards.

User interface - Website UI is pretty straight forward. If a customer can use Facebook (complex UI, IMO) or Amazon, then my minimal site would be easy.

Website recently updated - I will be updating my site every month when new products are added.

Crisp clean photos - No money to hire professional photographers + models right now. So I'll look for good looking girls/guys from my target audience on Instagram who already have quality pics, and offer them my products + some money as compensation.

NOT APPLICABLE VALUES

Cleanliness - Probably not applicable to my case as I don't do food.

Employee photos - One man show. Not applicable.

Side Note : I'm taking a big risk on the 30-day money-back guarantee + no need to return thing. If customers return my products in droves, I will have to, quoting MJ, "prostitute myself to an older woman" due to financial losses. Problem is I'm not well-hung.

I mean, I've confidence in my products to offer this sort of guarantee, but the uncertain factor is how much of my customer base will abuse my goodwill and trust.

But from my reading up on others who do this, they often say it's worth it in the end, so I'm gonna sell my products in limited quantities and see how things go after that. 30-day product guarantees are like the Joker card. It could swing either way. I guess in business, risk is unavoidable.

This list is not final, I'll continue to go through it and improve on them as time passes.

MJ DeMarco and sparechange like this.
  13. sparechange

Rep Bank:
    $919
    do you currently have lots of traffic as in potential customers?

out of the 4k or so people that ''viewed'' my fb page i had no interest or inquiries

Xeon likes this.
  14. Xeon

Xeon Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $536
    No traffic as I haven't launched my website. :cool:

15. Xeon

Xeon Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $536
    Met my first setback last night. Product samples came in, and it wasn't what I thought. TBH, I feel very disappointed and dejected.
    Based on what the company boasted on their site, I was expecting something awesome and impressive, but it looks below average!

This is not acceptable, and not something I would want to sell to my customers.
    I don't want my business/company to be known as "That Low-Quality Company (tm)".

I'm looking at other manufacturers who use different techniques of producing the product.
    The costs are higher but the quality is way better.

Now I understand the meaning of "you get what you pay for". Fuck This!

MJ DeMarco and sparechange like this.
  16. sparechange

Rep Bank:
    $919
    part of the process

MJ DeMarco, Kingmaker and Xeon like this.
  17. Xeon

Xeon Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $536
    How bout you? How's progress there? :smile2:

sparechange likes this.
  18. sparechange

Rep Bank:
    $919
    not so good, but have relisted at a cheaper price with new pics. will see how it goes over the next few days

19. MJ DeMarco

MJ DeMarco Raving Lunatic Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $229,664
    Admin Post
    That's not true. This is an excuse to be unproductive. There is always something do do. If you're waiting for product samples, keep scanning ideas. Look for problems. Read a book on sales. KAIZEN never ends. I say this because I've used "I'm waiting for X" as an excuse to do nothing.

Family photos could be a part of your brand build if a STORY is a part of your brand build.

Thanks for sharing your progress.

Don't forget to get your badge by posting here.

Book - I've Read UNSCRIPTED!

Kingmaker likes this.