The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The Power of Perception

Anything related to matters of the mind

Supa

Came for the $. Stayed for the Ice Cream.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
289%
May 27, 2015
Germany
Is the way you perceive things holding you back?

I truly believe that the outcome of a situation depends on how you perceive the situation in the first place.

What that means?

Good that you ask. Let's dive into this in the following paragraphs.

Most of us on here know about the importance and power of our choices. Not just choices on actions, but also our choices on what and how we think.

Our mindset choices create our action choices, while at the same time our action choices influence our mindset choices. Our perception of specific situations has a direct influence on how we think, and therefore on what actions those thinking patterns create.

Ok ok I get it, that sounds pretty confusing and like a chaotic pile of wires, so let's dissect this pile into its single wires.

This is more of a circle thing where everything is interwined with everything and has influence on all the other components, but since we gotta start somewhere and this thread is mainly about perception, let's begin with that.

The way we perceive things can have a big impact on the outcome of anything. Let's say you just launched your new product and after a month there are no sales. Frustrating yes I know. A pretty sure sign that your product sucks right? You should probably give up and just try the next product maybe it will be better.

I hope you just screamed "What the F*ck?!" because otherwise there may be a lot of space for improvement in your mindset.

Thinking like above is one way to perceive the fact that you have 0 sales in your first month. Where do you think will this way of thinking based on your perception of the problem being the product, lead towards?

It leads to giving up.

Since we all know giving up is not a good thing to do, let's jump right into another way of perceiving this situation.

Same situation: 1 month after product launch, not one frickin sale.

Maybe there's a problem with your marketing? Maybe a lack of traffic? Maybe the wrong targeting with your FB or Google ads? Maybe the copy on your landing page? Maybe your website's design?

See where this way of perceiving the situation leads? It makes you analyze your marketing efforts, better them, try and fail, repeat and again.

It may work, it may not work.

But at least you got a chance of it working, on the other hand, giving up on your product because you perceive your product as the reason for no sales will take away any chance of succeeding with it.

That's just one example.

How about MJ's Lambo encounter?

MJ thought to himself "I will own one of those beasts one day!" after seeing his first Lambo in real life. His mindset choices thereafter were based on that perception, and those mindsets formed his actions that supported his mindsets and perceptions which finally led him to owning one of those beasts himself.

But what about that other kid that saw the Lambo from inside of the ice cream shop?

The kid that thought to himself "damn what a nice car, unfortunately I will never be able to own one myself one day." Never heard of that guy? Well, that's probably because he's sitting in his cubicle right now working for someone else, looking forward to get home so he can finally drive his dream car, in his favourite video game.

While MJ's perception formed a mindset that made him take actions towards a life where he is able to afford a Lambo himself, the other guy's perception leads right into social accepted thinking, in other words mediocrity.

Feel sorry for that second kid?

Well, what if this kid, now grown into an adult, is reading those words right now?

He would have the choice to perceive this text the way he chooses to.

He could say:
F*ck you Supa, you don't know shit about my hard grinding at the job to sit in this cubicle!

Or he could say:
that other kid from outside the ice cream shop bought a Lambo some years later, why shouldn't I be able to do the same? Now let me close those useless gossip blogs and head over to amazon to buy this other kid's book!

Like I already said Perception, Mindset Choices and Action Choices aswell as the following Actions are all connected with each other.

You can choose how you think, you can choose to perceive a situation this way or another, but before you can choose it you have to be aware of the fact that there are more ways to perceive the situation. Your choice on how you perceive things creates the thoughts that form your mindsets, while at the same time your mindsets form the way that you perceive things. This all leads to your choices of action being congruent to your perception and mindsets.

So choose wisely how you choose.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

PureA

Winners never quit
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
348%
Dec 24, 2013
Bali
Life is full of decisions.

Decisions to think a certain way, to act a certain way.

For the most part, we are born on a level playing ground.

Decisions are what made Elon Musk, Elon Musk.

Decisions are what made Chris at the bar, Chris at the bar.

Delmania

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Aug 21, 2015
Rochester, NY
Seth Godin said:
We have a choice about where to aim the lens of our attention. We can relive past injustices, settle old grudges and nurse festering sores. We can imagine failure, build up its potential for destruction, calculate its odds. Or, we can imagine the generous outcomes we're working on, feel gratitude for those that got us here and revel in the possibilities of what's next.

http://sethgodin.typepad.com/

Bigguns50

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Feb 12, 2013
Sedona, AZ
@Supa ... Good write up. This is something I'm passionate about. A couple short examples:

In my training I was given a situation and a request:

A man and woman were standing, facing each other at the gas station. They were yelling at each other. The man slapped the woman across the face.

1) Give a possible Negative scenario.
2) Give a possible Positive scenario.
3) Give a possible Neutral scenario.

My take on Quitting..... I NEVER QUIT. Period. I may however....STOP....or END something. Do you see the difference ?

Ah yes...those things that make you go "Hmmm".

Yoda

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
710%
Nov 12, 2015
Dagobah

I'll bite...

Cop was standing right behind him. Negative.
He killed a wasp which was about to sting her. Positive.
They were going for a high five, and they missed. They both laugh and walk away. Neutral.

Supa

Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
289%
May 27, 2015
Germany
My take on Quitting..... I NEVER QUIT. Period. I may however....STOP....or END something. Do you see the difference ?

Ah yes...those things that make you go "Hmmm".

Yes there's nothing wrong with stopping or ending something that's not working, as long as you are not quitting :) the problem with perceiving the product as the problem, simply because it would be the easiest reason, is that chances are high that you stop working on something that could have worked by viewing the problem from a different angle.

If after you tried everything to get the product out there, get thousands of clicks from your market and still have 0 sales, it's probably time to think about the product being the problem. But even then it could be the price or your website not converting. Of course this requires that you followed the CENTS formula while creating your product.

A man and woman were standing, facing each other at the gas station. They were yelling at each other. The man slapped the woman across the face.

Ok, let me give it a shot.

1) They are a couple and she told him she cheated.
2) They are brother and sister and it's just fun between them
3) She slapped him and he slapped her back in affect.

Last edited by a moderator:

Supa

Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
289%
May 27, 2015
Germany
It is our perception, pure and simple, that creates the world in which we live.

You just put in one sentence what I needed a whole post to tell :tiphat:

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
Perception is the whole cause of a conflicted mind. What if false evidence appeals real. What if everything is an illusion. And what if what you believe actually harms you, because it's so easy to create a scenario in your mind. :) Perception can be looked at from many points of view.

Delmania

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Aug 21, 2015
Rochester, NY
Perception is the whole cause of a conflicted mind. What if false evidence appeals real. What if everything is an illusion. And what if what you believe actually harms you, because it's so easy to create a scenario in your mind. :) Perception can be looked at from many points of view.

"I am thought itself. I am perception. Perception IS reality." - Onslaught

This is, perhaps, my favorite quote from a comic book.

Your questions are bordering into a philosophical question known as "brain in a jar". Essentially, let's devise an experiment where we are capable of keeping a person's brain alive in a jar, and hook up wires that stimulate the brain in certain areas. We can simulate riding a bike. The consciousness in the brain would not know that the evidence is false, from his perception, he is riding a bike. There was a theory stated a while ago that we live in a simulate hologram, but this has not been proven. The thing is, if we do live in a hologram, we'd never know since we can not escape the system.

Perception is incredibly powerful. I am not happy with my current situation, anyone who reads my posts will know that. If I perceive myself as a failure and someone not capable of escaping, I've already lost. I know this, because this is have been feeling. However, when I change my narrative, and thus my perception to that of a capable person, not only do I feel a lot more positive, but suddenly, my brain is generating ideas. It's not locked in the past, endlessly analyzing how I messed up, it's more focused on what I need to do.

Your perception is your reality.

Supa

Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
289%
May 27, 2015
Germany
Perception is incredibly powerful. I am not happy with my current situation, anyone who reads my posts will know that. If I perceive myself as a failure and someone not capable of escaping, I've already lost. I know this, because this is have been feeling. However, when I change my narrative, and thus my perception to that of a capable person, not only do I feel a lot more positive, but suddenly, my brain is generating ideas. It's not locked in the past, endlessly analyzing how I messed up, it's more focused on what I need to do.

I don't know your current situation in details, but one thing that I had to learn was that YOU are not a failure just because you fail. Your actions may be failures, but as long as you don't give up, you won't be a failure.

It's really hard sometimes to get over frustration and unhappiness because of this frustration, and it may take a few days to do so, but being aware of the fact that you have the power over the way you perceive a situation is a good start to actually change the way you perceive your situation.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
Depends on who is perceiving the situation like you stated. I wasn't speaking of you at the time. I noticed this with many people, something may appear a certain way. Be the totally opposite behind the scenes. :) But yes I agree with what you're saying. My example would be like someone with a profile pic of someone else, and then someone else behind the screen entirely different then what you believe.

Mineralogic

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Jul 28, 2014
Is the way you perceive things holding you back?

I truly believe that the outcome of a situation depends on how you perceive the situation in the first place.

What that means?

Good that you ask. Let's dive into this in the following paragraphs.

Most of us on here know about the importance and power of our choices. Not just choices on actions, but also our choices on what and how we think.

Our mindset choices create our action choices, while at the same time our action choices influence our mindset choices. Our perception of specific situations has a direct influence on how we think, and therefore on what actions those thinking patterns create.

Ok ok I get it, that sounds pretty confusing and like a chaotic pile of wires, so let's dissect this pile into its single wires.

This is more of a circle thing where everything is interwined with everything and has influence on all the other components, but since we gotta start somewhere and this thread is mainly about perception, let's begin with that.

The way we perceive things can have a big impact on the outcome of anything. Let's say you just launched your new product and after a month there are no sales. Frustrating yes I know. A pretty sure sign that your product sucks right? You should probably give up and just try the next product maybe it will be better.

I hope you just screamed "What the F*ck?!" because otherwise there may be a lot of space for improvement in your mindset.

Thinking like above is one way to perceive the fact that you have 0 sales in your first month. Where do you think will this way of thinking based on your perception of the problem being the product, lead towards?

It leads to giving up.

Since we all know giving up is not a good thing to do, let's jump right into another way of perceiving this situation.

Same situation: 1 month after product launch, not one frickin sale.

Maybe there's a problem with your marketing? Maybe a lack of traffic? Maybe the wrong targeting with your FB or Google ads? Maybe the copy on your landing page? Maybe your website's design?

See where this way of perceiving the situation leads? It makes you analyze your marketing efforts, better them, try and fail, repeat and again.

It may work, it may not work.

But at least you got a chance of it working, on the other hand, giving up on your product because you perceive your product as the reason for no sales will take away any chance of succeeding with it.

That's just one example.

How about MJ's Lambo encounter?

MJ thought to himself "I will own one of those beasts one day!" after seeing his first Lambo in real life. His mindset choices thereafter were based on that perception, and those mindsets formed his actions that supported his mindsets and perceptions which finally led him to owning one of those beasts himself.

But what about that other kid that saw the Lambo from inside of the ice cream shop?

The kid that thought to himself "damn what a nice car, unfortunately I will never be able to own one myself one day." Never heard of that guy? Well, that's probably because he's sitting in his cubicle right now working for someone else, looking forward to get home so he can finally drive his dream car, in his favourite video game.

While MJ's perception formed a mindset that made him take actions towards a life where he is able to afford a Lambo himself, the other guy's perception leads right into social accepted thinking, in other words mediocrity.

Feel sorry for that second kid?

Well, what if this kid, now grown into an adult, is reading those words right now?

He would have the choice to perceive this text the way he chooses to.

He could say:
F*ck you Supa, you don't know shit about my hard grinding at the job to sit in this cubicle!

Or he could say:
that other kid from outside the ice cream shop bought a Lambo some years later, why shouldn't I be able to do the same? Now let me close those useless gossip blogs and head over to amazon to buy this other kid's book!

Like I already said Perception, Mindset Choices and Action Choices aswell as the following Actions are all connected with each other.

You can choose how you think, you can choose to perceive a situation this way or another, but before you can choose it you have to be aware of the fact that there are more ways to perceive the situation. Your choice on how you perceive things creates the thoughts that form your mindsets, while at the same time your mindsets form the way that you perceive things. This all leads to your choices of action being congruent to your perception and mindsets.

So choose wisely how you choose.

How true it all is , especially in a fast paced world based on money, marketing, manipulation ( I just created the 3 Ms?) Perception can make or break you internally and/or externally. Perception can hold you back or propel you because they are tied to your beliefs/mind set at the root of you. No action will happen until a decision is made.

However there are several core truths out there about people and our environment. The basics of our objective reality help us find truth on the kind of questions where truth can actually show itself. IE Natural /physical laws, economics etc. I have lost hope in alot of these so called truths over time because the 3 M's above including Fraud , defying of real cause and effect, etc...change normal outcomes and continue to defy logic :)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.