The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The Only 3 Beliefs Holding You Back Right Now

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
In my first year of college, I read "The Untethered Soul" by Michael A. Singer.
Then one of my friends recommended me MJ's books. So I read "Unscripted". These two books changed the way I saw and understood the world around me and myself. From that point today I'm constantly learning and questioning everything.

So cool to be associated with The Untethered Soul, it is as great book. I highly recommend his other one as well, The Surrender Experiment.

Please tell your friend "thank you" for recommending my work.

Kung Fu Steve

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Jul 8, 2008
Road Warrior
When I started, and even now, I still struggle with these limiting beliefs. Back about 90% of my income comes from abroad and 10% local. Now, it's a reverse 90% local, 10% abroad. I just keep managing them and moving on.

Finding better deals in my local country is difficult.
Getting local people to pay for deals is slow and slow.. and this slows up operation.
Looks like I sell lower than most of my competitors in the US/UK.
Other people are finding better deals because they live in better markets.

All beliefs are true (to you).

There's really only 3 things that hold people back in business:

1.) The emotional state that they're in (unresourceful, sad, frustrated, upset, angry, depressed -- these all generate poor decisions and become cyclical).

2.) The strategy they're using (the specific actions they are doing to achieve the goal)

3.) The story they're telling themselves (these beliefs you just referenced)

I'm curious, why did you switch to local if abroad was working so well? Why not start your agency and do more work abroad?

How many people have you spoke to in order to develop the belief "local people are slow"?

When you say better deals, are you just talking about money? Or are the clients less demanding? Easier to sell? What is it?

My first target is to dominate my local market... and become a local champion...create more jobs for lots of young people here and then scale to Nigeria and South Africa. Yet, I still had to deal with these limiting beliefs if I want to get there.

I had spent this weekend reading MJ's Millionaire Fastlane to also get some help there as well. Please, can you offer some help to deal with these silly limiting beliefs?

Great goal!

You no longer have to limit yourself to Africa, though.

Your income will only be capped by your creativity.

I would question your goal simply because it's not very concrete. What does it mean to be a local champion? Does it mean you have to employ the whole country? Does that mean 5 people? Does that mean everyone has to chant your name in the streets?

The reason I would question the goal is going back to your original statement about how you were making good money with U.S. clients and then decided to stop doing that and start doing something else (don't worry, MOST business owners make this mistake -- me, too).

When you find something that's working, double down on that!

Think Expand

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
203%
Oct 30, 2019
All beliefs are true (to you).

There's really only 3 things that hold people back in business:

1.) The emotional state that they're in (unresourceful, sad, frustrated, upset, angry, depressed -- these all generate poor decisions and become cyclical).

2.) The strategy they're using (the specific actions they are doing to achieve the goal)

3.) The story they're telling themselves (these beliefs you just referenced)

I'm curious, why did you switch to local if abroad was working so well? Why not start your agency and do more work abroad?

How many people have you spoke to in order to develop the belief "local people are slow"?

When you say better deals, are you just talking about money? Or are the clients less demanding? Easier to sell? What is it?

Great goal!

You no longer have to limit yourself to Africa, though.

Your income will only be capped by your creativity.

I would question your goal simply because it's not very concrete. What does it mean to be a local champion? Does it mean you have to employ the whole country? Does that mean 5 people? Does that mean everyone has to chant your name in the streets?

The reason I would question the goal is going back to your original statement about how you were making good money with U.S. clients and then decided to stop doing that and start doing something else (don't worry, MOST business owners make this mistake -- me, too).

When you find something that's working, double down on that!
@Kung Fu Steve Thanks for the advice.

I made a couple of big mistakes while freelancing with SEO Agencies in the USA. More than 70% of my income and in some cases 90% was coming from one single client. As in MJ's book, I had no control. I've worked with them for several months... and when something came up.. they just shoved the deal and cancel the contract.

So, I learn my first lesson: Do not let more than 50% of your sales/income come from a single client. This was very painful... because it made lose a big chunk of my monthly cash flow at the time.

Well, when C0VlD-19 came, most of the agencies I worked within the UK run out of business and some never came back. Their clients cancelled their contracts with them and they also did with us... and even some still owe for services provided.

While I was finding a way through this, I realized the demand for e-commerce and digital marketing services was rising in my own local country. Many companies were setting up websites and creating social media pages to get their businesses online... something that most of them didn't care about before C0VlD-19 came in.

Seeing the rising digital trend in my local country, I thought to swim with the wave and position myself to be the best in the country and then swallow all those deals. That enabled me to start getting local deals and serving more local companies in my country.

Nonetheless, I noticed most of the small business owners had cash flow problems, as we started having account receivable problems... and that is why I was saying the payments are slow.

I have read, studied and analyzed your message.. and have just created packages that I can sell faster... not only to my local people and other African countries..but possibly other companies abroad. I have also adjusted my beliefs and re-strategized to get better results, faster payments and get more orders from local and international companies.

Thanks again for your feedback.

Simon Angel

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
292%
Apr 24, 2016
Me and my impostor syndrome feel personally attacked.

Jk.

I'm made of limiting beliefs! But it's funny because putting them into words it hard. Let me try.

I am smart but I'm not street smart. (Limiting Belief) Every time someone is like "omg easy peasy, I just called the dude and said "Hi I wanna do business" and they were like "cool, pitch me" and now I've got a 10 M client" I think.. I can't do that. That's not the way you approach business (Limiting Belief). That's just a one-off. Except everyone here seems to do it except for me.

"Businessmen" are always like, 40+ y/o men that just see me as a baby. A baby woman. Ready to throw me off a cliff, or flirting material. I feel inferior, intimidated and less knowledgable than an older person and don't feel worthy of selling anything to them. (Limiting Belief, happened a lot at the bank trying to sell investment accounts) this kinda goes with the last one. It's difficult for a woman to fit in a room full of men and earn respect without being called "too intense" "witch" etc.

I don't have what it takes to hustle. It's not who I am. I can pretend for a few days but that's about it. I'm brain-scattered, my meds make me slower and less sharp. I'm slowly becoming more stupid. I'll probably have early dementia. I procrastinate out of fear of failure.

I'm lazy.

TL;DR : I'm a mess.

The ones that have shifted:

I've become much less of a people pleaser though, and learnt to put myself first and say "no". I used to believe I had to be a doormat and everyone had to like me. Now I don't GAF about certain people.

I did always hold the belief that if someone is doing something out there, there's no reason I'm not capable of it. So when my mom said "life is like this" I've always (internally) disagreed. Life couldn't be that helpless. She has learned helplessness, by the way.

I used to think I needed my dad's validation cause he never gave me the time of day. Now IDGAF. I do my thing. Funny enough I've earned his respect nowadays, although I can't pinpoint why.

I blacklist people much quicker now. I've learnt the "people tell you who they are if you listen" lesson and save myself a lot of headaches.

Stop saying and thinking this and it's no longer real. You're in full control of your thoughts and beliefs, and your thoughts and beliefs are the creators of your reality. Let go of the past, it let you go so why do you cling onto it? Become hyper-aware of the present now, wipe out the limiting thoughts and beliefs NOW and witness your true potential. You are now free to do and be anything you want.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Kung Fu Steve

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Jul 8, 2008
Road Warrior

MoneyDoc

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
273%
Jun 24, 2014
Just to add to this thread and how a belief shift can radically alter a life...

Growing up, as many of you know, I thought getting rich quick (and young) was reserved for celebrities, athletes, and musicians. This was not possible for "normal people" especially if you had no interest in acting, dribbling, or playing guitar.

But then I met that young guy in the expensive sports car who planted the seed for entrepreneurship.

Then the belief became... getting rich young could happen for celebrities, athletes, musicians, and entrepreneurs.

The rest is history.

Because one belief underwent a minor shift.
Don't forget drug dealers lol..

When I was 13-14, every time I would see a Ferrari or Lamborghini, my parents would be like "doctor or drug dealer".

I don't blame them though... they've never met people like Moiz Ali who sold a deodorant brand for $100m or John Doe who makes $2m/year with his dog brand.

Kung Fu Steve

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Jul 8, 2008
Road Warrior
@Kung Fu Steve What a thread man! Thank you so much for sharing this information...
I'm from a country and "society" where everyone is indoctrinated from the moment he/she is born and where questioning and critical thinking is next to impossible because everyone is following the same financial and spiritual path and thus getting the same results. Growing up I had A LOT of beliefs that I have questioned consistently in the last 2 years all thanks to some individuals that are making a huge impact on many lives through their work. Some of them are motivational/inspirational speakers, like Sandeep Maheshwari from India, others are authors, like MJ.

Just to give a little perspective, most of us have had that experience of indoctrination no matter where we're from.

Here in the U.S., it's "go to school, get a job, work 40 years, vote, and hope someone will take care of you"

And if you questioned that, you must be batshit crazy!

Humans are so much more alike than they are different. The culture might feel different but if you dig in, you hear people's beliefs "Because I'm Italian, we're focused on family", or "Because I'm Chinese, my parents demand excellence from me", or "Because I'm from this neighborhood, I am destined for this"

I definitely don't want to downplay your experience, I just want to remind you that you're not alone :)

Think Expand

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
203%
Oct 30, 2019
@Kung Fu Steve I hope you will also help me out here. When I got started online, I sent more than 100 proposals/applications for jobs in my local market, but not any good reply. I was poor, broke and had lots of silly beliefs in the helpless category.

However, one day applied to a job at Craig list, still in the Ghana category. Luckily, I got a quick reply and started working. But this guy lives in the USA, New York. Since 2017 to 2019, about 90% of my income has come from the USA/UK even though I work in Ghana.

But one day, I realized that I have hit the ceiling. I can't make any much more.. because even if I work 10hrs per day for 6 days, I just can't break above my monthly financial targets. I started getting sicky and thinner because I seem to be overworking and never feeling happy even though I was making good money.

I guess that was when all my problems started...

I noticed I had to move from freelancing to entrepreneurship. So, started an agency last year, but serving my local country folks rather than getting the big deals from the US, since I slightly lost focus and my freelance deals with some of US/UK companies I was working with.

When I started, and even now, I still struggle with these limiting beliefs. Back about 90% of my income comes from abroad and 10% local. Now, it's a reverse 90% local, 10% abroad. I just keep managing them and moving on.

Finding better deals in my local country is difficult.
Getting local people to pay for deals is slow and slow.. and this slows up operation.
Looks like I sell lower than most of my competitors in the US/UK.
Other people are finding better deals because they live in better markets.

My first target is to dominate my local market... and become a local champion...create more jobs for lots of young people here and then scale to Nigeria and South Africa. Yet, I still had to deal with these limiting beliefs if I want to get there.

I had spent this weekend reading MJ's Millionaire Fastlane to also get some help there as well. Please, can you offer some help to deal with these silly limiting beliefs?

Think Expand

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
203%
Oct 30, 2019
@Kung Fu Steve Looks like I am getting to understand your thread and message each day. I've decided to simplify your teaching in this way to help me process things easier:

Your beliefs determine your mindset.
Your mindset determines your attitude.
Your attitude determines your altitude in life.

So, we are all where we are because of our belief system. Wrong beliefs can hold you captive for many years... unless you identify and change them.

Also, I found that the best way to identify and change these beliefs is through reading and studying from those who have gone ahead of you. Reading, studying, meditating and practising lessons learnt from books---is what I have found to be the best.

Learning from mentors who have achieved what you want to achieve. Studying their beliefs, thinking and mindset system and making changes in yours to match theirs.

I just realized that once the changes in beliefs are made, it will alter the mindset which will alter the attitude and definitely alter the destination.

In Millionaire Fastlane , MJ said, "Acquisition and application of knowledge will make you rich!"

Obviously, knowledge plays an essential role in reaching the right destination. But that happens in the attitude stage after the right beliefs and mindsets have been formed to condition a person to acquire and apply the knowledge obtained.

While knowledge is important, most people fail to APPLY because they have the wrong belief system and mindset which has corroded their aptitude to APPLY the knowledge acquired. Therefore, I'd like to add to your thread:

Wrong beliefs = wrong mindset = wrong attitudes = wrong destination.
Right beliefs = right mindset = right attitudes = right destination.

Again, thanks for creating this thread.

sonny_1080

Creating a tool I want to use.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Oct 30, 2019
Los Angeles
Twice per day, I scroll through the forum. Occasionally I recognize patterns of thinking or behavior and I go through a little internal struggle: "do I respond to this question with a heartfelt response" or "should I just keep scrolling" -- I'll admit, I've been scrolling a lot more than responding lately so I figured I'd take a minute to give some unsolicited advice.

Your current results are a direct reflection of your belief systems.

That means the amount of money you have in your bank account today is not due to covid, the election, California burning, or how you were treated as a child... it is a culmination of your beliefs around money that you've held for the last 6 days, 6 weeks, 6 months, 6 years...

Beliefs like "should I save my money or spend it", "should I invest or not", "should I go all in on my business or do it part time", or "is this really even going to work?"

The "Covid 19" weight that people have gained wasn't because of the pandemic. It was because of your beliefs around exercising and eating healthy "should I work out or skip it", "what's healthy or unhealthy"

Relationships, too. "Should I be in one or not", "what should I accept in this relationship and what shouldn't I accept in this relationship"

If you aren't happy with your current results, here's my suggestion:

Identify and change your limiting beliefs.

Luckily, there's really only 3 types of limiting beliefs; hopeless, helpless, and worthless.

Hopeless Beliefs are the ones where somebody says "Just shut up, Steve. Nobody can make money in this economy. Nobody can build a business in this situation.
Relationships never last anyways.
My genetics won't allow me to get in shape.
This is bullshit, it can't be done!"

Helpless Beliefs are when someone says, "Easy for you to say. MJ can do it because he had a better idea.
They have more money than me.
They have more time than me.
They have less kids than me.
They have more hair than me.
That's why THEY can do it and I can't!"

Worthless Beliefs are where someone says, "Fine, fine. You're right. Everybody can make money. Everyone can have a long-lasting loving relationship. Everyone can have a great body... but if I'm being honest with you, man... I just don't think I deserve it. I don't think I'm worth it. I don't think if I made that money, I'd be able to keep it. I don't think if I got into that relationship, I could ever make them stay."

Can you see how devastating this psychology and these beliefs could be to someone's life and business?

For those of you who are here asking the questions over and over again like "should I go or stay", "should I invest or not", "should I start this business or put it off" -- my question for you is which one of these beliefs are really holding you back? ...And are they really true?

While I often spend hours helping people shift their beliefs, I can tell you exactly how to do it in very few words:

A belief is simply a feeling of absolute certainty you have about something.

If you didn't have certainty about that belief... you wouldn't believe it! You just feel like it's true. (And man it really does FEEL real, doesn't it?)

To change a limiting belief, simply start by figuring out what the belief is, then create doubt in it. Ask the question "is this belief really true?" and "are there examples of someone in my situation that made it work anyways?" or "have I even succeeded at this in the past and maybe I'm just overthinking it, now?"

I'm more than willing to help but I think it would be even more valuable for you and the whole forum -- if you're up for it -- to post an old belief you held in the past... and then what changed it for you? How do you see it now?

As an example... growing up, I truly believed money was scarce and extremely hard to come by. The first real shift in that mindset was coming here on the forum and meeting really successful people who started with nothing. When they spoke about how easy it was to make money, it really created doubt in that belief. "Maybe it ISN'T so tough... I'm just making it a bigger deal than it really is..."

Today when I look at how much money is in the system (especially here in the U.S. with another 2 TRILLION dollars floating around), I can't help but think "wow, it really is everywhere and people have no problem spending it!"

What is it for you? What shifted? What changed?
An old belief I held in the past was that I'd never be "one of those computer guys that work from home" - COVID happened, I learned a thing or two about websites and internet ads, found something to sell, got in front of business owners, sold it - and voila!

I'm one of those computer guys that work from home.

How do I see it now?

After doing that for 5 months, I see that it's possible. Not that difficult either. In fact, looking back on it, the hardest part was getting over the idea of having to be an expert before I got into the marketplace. Just getting into the marketplace before I was ready was what changed everything. The problem with that, is I got clients and then lost them. Now I'm in a position to come up with a better way to offer more value.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
An old belief I held in the past was that I'd never be "one of those computer guys that work from home" - COVID happened, I learned a thing or two about websites and internet ads, found something to sell, got in front of business owners, sold it - and voila!

Beliefs are like a flight-plan for life ...

...if you want to change where your flight plan is taking you, change your beliefs.

You did, and ended up somewhere new.

Kung Fu Steve

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Jul 8, 2008
Road Warrior
@Kung Fu Steve I've been scrolling a lot too, and I want to say you're one of the reasons I keep coming back to the forum, so thank you for all of your contributions.

My Old Beliefs:
I thought you had to be really smart to own a business.
I thought you had to be rich to start a business
I used to avoid doing difficult work. I didn't know that the work is the reward.
Rich people are corrupt.
I could never be rich.
I don't have anything to contribute.
I'll always struggle.
I'm not good with money.

Those are just off the top of my head.

I think we all had these at some point. Even if for just a moment. That self doubt creeps in!

Man I was messed up. :rofl:

Hey, be nice to my friend. He didn't know what he didn't know at the time!

PapaGang

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Jul 10, 2019
Milwaukee, WI
I've worked with enough people to know that most people who rate themselves lower tend to be the high achievers. The people who always want more but never think they're doing good enough. Then the people who rate themselves higher tend to be the type of over-confident people who are in a comfort zone and have little to no desire to more.

Man, that is some real insight right there @Kung Fu Steve - are you some kind of mind wizard?

Last edited:

Kung Fu Steve

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Jul 8, 2008
Road Warrior
Yeah I definitely don't have those limiting beliefs. I believe I had, but several books this year changed my perspective.

Maybe I should've said "the only 3 categories of beliefs" ... but that wouldn't be accurate either because technically there are 7 types...

Global Beliefs -- "People are... men are.. women are... relationships are... money is... time is..."

Identity Beliefs -- Who are you? Who are you not? Who are your role models? How are you like them? How are you not like them?

Value -- What's important to you about business? What about health? relationship? What's something you'd do anything to get in life? What's something you'd do anything to avoid in life?

Rules -- Must, must not, must never, must always, should, should not, should always, should never, can, cannot, can never, will, will not, will never, will always, is, is not

Vehicles -- How do you meet certainty/security, variety/adventure, significance/importance, love/connection

Situation Specific -- "cheating on my significant other is wrong ... unless..." or "I would never lie... but sometimes you have to tell a little white lie..." or "I would never kill someone unless"

Metaprograms -- VAKOG

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
443%
May 27, 2013
United States
It's amazing what happens to limiting beliefs once you identify them and acknowledge they exist.

For the last 18 months we've struggled with operational issues. I've told myself "I'm a visionary type, I'm not a details guy. We'll continue to struggle with this, until I hire that person".

And then last week, I realized that was bullshit, that I'm actually great with details and systems and improving processes. I actually don't know where any of that came from. It was a belief that got ingrained and I didn't even realize it. And I simply lived up to that belief.

Everything we need to build a great company we have right now in our team of 6. I don't need to hire a rockstar COO or something to come and fix all our problems. We can fix it together.

And the vibe of the company has completely changed in a matter of days as a result. My people are on fire right now.

JorgeInmortal

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Nov 17, 2020
Twice per day, I scroll through the forum. Occasionally I recognize patterns of thinking or behavior and I go through a little internal struggle: "do I respond to this question with a heartfelt response" or "should I just keep scrolling" -- I'll admit, I've been scrolling a lot more than responding lately so I figured I'd take a minute to give some unsolicited advice.

That means the amount of money you have in your bank account today is not due to covid, the election, California burning, or how you were treated as a child... it is a culmination of your beliefs around money that you've held for the last 6 days, 6 weeks, 6 months, 6 years...

Beliefs like "should I save my money or spend it", "should I invest or not", "should I go all in on my business or do it part time", or "is this really even going to work?"

The "Covid 19" weight that people have gained wasn't because of the pandemic. It was because of your beliefs around exercising and eating healthy "should I work out or skip it", "what's healthy or unhealthy"

Relationships, too. "Should I be in one or not", "what should I accept in this relationship and what shouldn't I accept in this relationship"

Luckily, there's really only 3 types of limiting beliefs; hopeless, helpless, and worthless.

Hopeless Beliefs are the ones where somebody says "Just shut up, Steve. Nobody can make money in this economy. Nobody can build a business in this situation.

Helpless Beliefs are when someone says, "Easy for you to say. MJ can do it because he had a better idea.

Worthless Beliefs are where someone says, "Fine, fine. You're right. Everybody can make money. Everyone can have a long-lasting loving relationship. Everyone can have a great body... but if I'm being honest with you, man... I just don't think I deserve it. I don't think I'm worth it. I don't think if I made that money, I'd be able to keep it. I don't think if I got into that relationship, I could ever make them stay."

Can you see how devastating this psychology and these beliefs could be to someone's life and business?

For those of you who are here asking the questions over and over again like "should I go or stay", "should I invest or not", "should I start this business or put it off" -- my question for you is which one of these beliefs are really holding you back? ...And are they really true?

While I often spend hours helping people shift their beliefs, I can tell you exactly how to do it in very few words:

If you didn't have certainty about that belief... you wouldn't believe it! You just feel like it's true. (And man it really does FEEL real, doesn't it?)

To change a limiting belief, simply start by figuring out what the belief is, then create doubt in it. Ask the question "is this belief really true?" and "are there examples of someone in my situation that made it work anyways?" or "have I even succeeded at this in the past and maybe I'm just overthinking it, now?"

I'm more than willing to help but I think it would be even more valuable for you and the whole forum -- if you're up for it -- to post an old belief you held in the past... and then what changed it for you? How do you see it now?

As an example... growing up, I truly believed money was scarce and extremely hard to come by. The first real shift in that mindset was coming here on the forum and meeting really successful people who started with nothing. When they spoke about how easy it was to make money, it really created doubt in that belief. "Maybe it ISN'T so tough... I'm just making it a bigger deal than it really is..."

Today when I look at how much money is in the system (especially here in the U.S. with another 2 TRILLION dollars floating around), I can't help but think "wow, it really is everywhere and people have no problem spending it!"

100% truth. For the longest time I sat on the idea that "to make a lot of money you have to cheat people and be corrupt" and that held me back from so many opportunities and led me to thinking small. Not only that, I would just do absolutely NOTHING and never take action. I had to really dig deep in my beliefs system and met some very financially successful people who were great, honest and willing to teach me and be generous with their time. I have also met many poor broke a$$ people who are very negative in their mindset, 99% live like victims and bitch about life all the time. The successful people I met had one thing in common. They all are very intentional about whatever they are successful at. They don't expect things to work out on their own, they find a way to make things work out. Their mindset is so different, therefore, their results show that difference.
We are what we think.
Awesome post.

Kung Fu Steve

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Jul 8, 2008
Road Warrior
I remember for a long time I used the excuse; people who workout are assholes.

"If you're fit that means you're a shallow, selfish person who thinks they're better than everyone else!"

I'm not a jerk, therefore I can't workout was my reasoning, so I didn't start till college. Turns out there are tons of friendly, helpful people who exercise. In fact, NICER than the people I was hanging out with.

Really shocked me at first, "wait I was wrong?" crushes your ego, and makes you humble when it's broken like that.

That's an interesting one!

Great post Steve.

However I'm going to muddy the waters.

I've been in business (3-4 different ones) for 20 years and I'm nowhere near financially where I want to be but I don't have those limiting beliefs.

I've been down when my business endeavours have floundered and lost confidence here and there at times but I've never thought to myself I don't deserve it, someone else had a better idea or nobody can build a business or make money in this economy.

I think I've simply found and acted on business ideas that didn't work and I'll keep plugging away until I find one that does.

I'm curious -- if that's true... why aren't you where you want to be financially?

Lyinx

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Oct 28, 2019
Lancaster County, PA
I've found a formula that can help with making changes...

Figure out where you want to be (income/weight/etc)
Write it down.

What are the benefits of being there (for example, let's say your goal would be to sell $1M product per year, with a 10% margin for $100,000 profit after you've paid yourselves a fair wage.

What would the benefits be?
Well, that leaves you with $2000 profit per week (approximately) and what would you do with that?
Could you buy new/faster computers?
More efficient machinery?
How much would that save you? Per day?

Then why don't you go out there and make it happen, you're literally pissing away $2000 / week or $400 per business day by not doing it!

A plan, acted upon violently, beats any plan that is well thought out but never actually acted upon.

PapaGang

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Jul 10, 2019
Milwaukee, WI
Every time someone is like "omg easy peasy, I just called the dude and said "Hi I wanna do business" and they were like "cool, pitch me" and now I've got a 10 M client" I think.. I can't do that. That's not the way you approach business (Limiting Belief). That's just a one-off. Except everyone here seems to do it except for me.

eh, I don’t think so. There are very few people who can do that. That’s why this forum is full of posts like “how can I do this when (limited belief) is happening,” or “I just can’t seem to get things going.” The truth is, most people are terrified to pick up the phone and cold call. Very few people are really successful at sales. It’s not just you.

I sucked at it too. I found out it’s a skill that can be learned and mastered with enough practice.

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
231%
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia

Hopeless Beliefs are the ones where somebody says "Just shut up, Steve. Nobody can make money in this economy. Nobody can build a business in this situation. Relationships never last anyways. My genetics won't allow me to get in shape. This is bullshit, it can't be done!"

Helpless Beliefs are when someone says, "Easy for you to say. MJ can do it because he had a better idea. They have more money than me. They have more time than me. They have less kids than me. They have more hair than me. That's why THEY can do it and I can't!"

Thanks for pointing this out as coming to the forum has been tiring as of late.

danwan337

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
106%
Sep 23, 2020
India

Hopeless Beliefs are the ones where somebody says "Just shut up, Steve. Nobody can make money in this economy. Nobody can build a business in this situation. Relationships never last anyways. My genetics won't allow me to get in shape. This is bullshit, it can't be done!"

Helpless Beliefs are when someone says, "Easy for you to say. MJ can do it because he had a better idea. They have more money than me. They have more time than me. They have less kids than me. They have more hair than me. That's why THEY can do it and I can't!"

Great stuff, Steve. I used to fear for my job every time I realize and thought over it many times. If I don't have a job, the worst thing will happen, I will be broke or even go down the streets, but still, that can't shift my confidence or change the inner me. Now, I give the same advice to people. Love what you are doing but don't fear of losing your job

BellaPippin

B is for Beast
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
275%
Jul 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Stop saying and thinking this and it's no longer real. You're in full control of your thoughts and beliefs, and your thoughts and beliefs are the creators of your reality. Let go of the past, it let you go so why do you cling onto it? Become hyper-aware of the present now, wipe out the limiting thoughts and beliefs NOW and witness your true potential. You are now free to do and be anything you want.

I try!! It's pretty carved in my brain so I'm working on creating and establishing the better thought patterns. I have some days when I wake up and I feel indestructible and some other days where I just can't put 2 and 2 together. I'm slowly getting better at catching BS automatic thinking and challenging it.

The good thing is deep down, I always know I can do what I set my mind to. I'll never say "I wish I hadn't made this mistake". Takes me like 3x the time but I've done everything I've set my mind to so far, since that first goal of saving as a teen to spend a couple years abroad, to finally getting a property. If for some reason I find an obstacle is just keeping me stuck I'll come up with something to go around it.

Thanks Simon :)

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia

I think it is that reading biographies of successful people I realized that you do not need to be super genius or be super capable in multiple aspects to be a successful business person.

Successful people continue to say stupid things and screw up things just like many other people. They are mortals just like us. Just be laser focused on really important things, and when the opportunity comes give your 200%.

D

Deleted78083

Beliefs lead to actions, so it is still more about actions than about beliefs. You can take action while not believing, and it works. You hear many people starting something then saying "I would have never believed it'd become that big."

Thinh

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
Aug 11, 2018

So, it's going to be a bit meta, but here is one belief I'd like to be challenged:
I believe that beliefs (no matter justified or erroneous) are imprinted on you either by experience or your environment. Which means I'm not sure people can truly change their beliefs just by reading a statement contrary to a belief they currently hold.

Not trying to discredit your post, it's a great insight in itself. I'm just wondering whether passing this message, in this form, can truly help some people, or if it's a waste of time because either people already believe what you believe, or they don't, and thus can't change their belief just by reading a message on a forum.

The latter would be my belief, although the more mature I get, the more open to changing my beliefs I am.

Miykoll

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
May 21, 2020
Netherlands
Great article Steve, here my believe.

Believe 1: People doing fitness are obsessed with their looks and I don't want to be obsessed with my body.
Confirmation: Going to a gym with my friend who was obsessed with muscle and a lot of people were training for more muscle and better looking.

1st Shift: Girlfriend finished Yoga Instructor coach and started to give classes which I attended from the beginning. I experienced the effect of a healthy body and the need for strong muscles.
2nd Shift: Doing a summer-break try-out at a local gym. The gym is a luxurious gym with tennis tracks, swimming pool and wellness. The people here are training for healthy body and mind for better performance and increasing the business. (Would I go to the cheap gyms here, then I probably would have a confirmation of the believe due to the slow track people doing fitness there).

ExaltedLife

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Nov 10, 2015
A particularly nefarious belief that I had when I was young was "It's wrong for me to do my best because it isn't fair to those who don't share my ability". Not sure where it came from exactly, but I think my Catholic education was involved.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.