The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The Official Robert Greene Thread

Delmania

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Aug 21, 2015
Rochester, NY
He started World War 2.

I'm impressed. One man is directly responsible for starting one of the bloodiest conflicts in history? That's some influence he had. Seriously, WWII had many causes, chiefly among them the unresolved issues from WWI, which in turn had roots in previous conflicts. If Hitler hadn't read Nietzche, he would have found some other way to justify his actions.

Last edited:

Ubermensch

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
Jul 7, 2008
Chicago
The teachings of Jewish carpenter and an Arab merchant sparked a war that has lasted for centuries.

The work of an English naturalist and geologist were used justify genocide and forced breedings.

The teachings of a Nepalese prince have been used to justify genocide.

Humans can and will use anything to justify killing each other.

Lol... no comment.

Delmania

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Aug 21, 2015
Rochester, NY
Lol... no comment.

Even though I edited, I've been rereading Cell by Stephen King, and one of the comments in the book is that our prime directive as humans is murder. We became the apex predator for Earth because our brains and tool making abilities enabled us to kill anything that got in our way. We are after, all, the only species that has built (and used) a weapon that is more than capable of wiping of us out in a matter of minutes.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

LifeTransformer

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Feb 20, 2015
I'm impressed. One man is directly responsible for starting one of the bloodiest conflicts in history? That's some influence he had. Seriously, WWII had many causes, chiefly among them the unresolved issues from WWI, which in turn had roots in previous conflicts. If Hitler hadn't read Nietzche, he would have found some other way to justify his actions.

Why did you delete my white text?

I put underneath (in white text) I was joking.

He started World War 2.

hopefully white text works, I'm just joking of course.

Remnant

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Oct 9, 2015
Why did you delete my white text?

I put underneath (in white text) I was joking.

Not to step on any toes... it would be wise to look into hitler and his association with theosophy.

If we were blind to 'fastlane principles' before the fastlane, what other aspects of daily life/history are we being duped in? [HASHTAG]#foodforthought[/HASHTAG]

GMSI7D

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
Jan 27, 2016
Lyon, France
Even though I edited, I've been rereading Cell by Stephen King, and one of the comments in the book is that our prime directive as humans is murder. We became the apex predator for Earth because our brains and tool making abilities enabled us to kill anything that got in our way. We are after, all, the only species that has built (and used) a weapon that is more than capable of wiping of us out in a matter of minutes.

Human are part of Nature.

Nature is cruel.

therefore, human are cruel.

that's logic at work.

The point is not to ignore reality but to survive in a cruel universe and Greene's books are here for that.

By the way, something very bad is coming in 2016 because the law of cause and effect says so.

cause : human nature

effect : financial crisis

Last edited:

Ayanle Farah

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
Dec 13, 2016
My main issue with Robert Greene's books is it basically tries convince you that everyone is out to get you and it decreases trust and empathy in people who apply the principles.
Aslong as you don't lose the above(trust and empathy), there shouldn't be problems, imagine a world where everyone was at war with each other 24/7?

This is what the elite are doing to us right now, divide and conquer, the quest for power isolates you, not in a physical sense because he goes into blending with the crowd and all that, but it isolates you from your emotions, all warfare is based on deception and the greater the deception the greater the distance between you and others.

In the end you'll become a mini-version of the elite and super easy to control ironically.

Last edited:

GoGetter24

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
210%
Oct 8, 2017
Various
My main issue with Robert Greene's books is it basically tries convince you that everyone is out to get you and it decreases trust and empathy in people who apply the principles.
That's not how I interpreted it. When I read his books it felt more like a series of warnings than a manual of how to be manipulative. I didn't feel it was asking me to reduce trust in other people, but was simply explaining the mechanisms behind bad behaviour and relationship outcomes that I'd already witnessed in real life, more like a "self defense" manual.

One of my friends, on the other hand, did feel this, and he said it made worry that people were trying to "get him", just like you put it. It might be a case that it's one of those books best read but also discussed with other people.

But as I always say: it's better to know the truth than a pleasant lie.

Ayanle Farah

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
Dec 13, 2016
That's not how I interpreted it. When I read his books it felt more like a series of warnings than a manual of how to be manipulative. I didn't feel it was asking me to reduce trust in other people, but was simply explaining the mechanisms behind bad behaviour and relationship outcomes that I'd already witnessed in real life, more like a "self defense" manual.

One of my friends, on the other hand, did feel this, and he said it made worry that people were trying to "get him", just like you put it. It might be a case that it's one of those books best read but also discussed with other people.

But as I always say: it's better to know the truth than a pleasant lie.
I thought of it like that at first but afterwards, it became clear the purpose of his books was to increase your paranoia.

48 Laws of Power: Everyone wants to enslave you
Art of Seduction: All women are after your money and status to ruin you.
33 Strategies of War: People are animals in disguise, all friendly gestures are a civil mask required by society, there is a subtle conflict brewing, everyone is at war.

Mastery appears to be the only exception, this new book of his seems to drive the same narrative as the other three.

GMSI7D

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
Jan 27, 2016
Lyon, France
Robert Greene's books are not for everyone because most people don't understand the meanings of the books.

these books are for thinkers, not for the masses

the masses don't care about leadership

they are on earth to eat, work, have sex , sleep and die. they are the energy of the leaders

leaders are on earth to honor intelligence , lead society and evolve .

this is 2 worlds completely different . you can't mix leaders and the masses

this is absurd

Bryan James

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
182%
Jul 1, 2018
Texas, USA
"Let’s say that through some miscarriage of justice, you find yourself locked in prison tomorrow. Browsing through the prison library, you find there is one book that is constantly requested, but hard to get your hands on. What would you think that book was? Legal case STUDIES? Lock-picking manuals? The Bible perhaps? Close, but no cigar.

It’s none other than Robert Greene’s bestselling The 48 Laws of Power, which has sold over 1.2 million copies worldwide. Greene’s books are famously the most requested in correctional facilities across the United States, an achievement he bears with pride. (The author has a folder dedicated to the fan mail he receives from inmates).

Robert Greene material is banned in the prisons here in Texas. They're considered tools for manipulation.

GMSI7D

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
Jan 27, 2016
Lyon, France
Robert Greene is a genius. the guy is a mastermind.

people say " this is manipulation " or whatever

but you should think twice about that

strategy books are available everywhere : art of war, 36 stratagems and so on

but who cares about them ? most people don't care about these tools

for example the " 36 stratagem " is a book more " dangerous " than Robert Greene's books

the elite are following the 36 stratagems word for word to control the masses and people don't care

this is a book that you can buy for 20 bucks at your local bookstore

so this is really funny . i am laughing out loud

people are too stupid

wtf.gif

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
What I don't understand is, from the books, one can tell that Greene is a genius at manipulation and all the inner workings of human behaviour. In short, he knows how to play the game of life. So, why is he still an author and not in a power of position (world/country leader, head of an international company, charismatic cult leader etc...)?

Longinus

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
441%
Aug 28, 2014
Poland / Belgium
What I don't understand is, from the books, one can tell that Greene is a genius at manipulation and all the inner workings of human behaviour. In short, he knows how to play the game of life. So, why is he still an author and not in a power of position (world/country leader, head of an international company, charismatic cult leader etc...)?

I heard him saying once that he describes the behavior but he doesn't encourage it. Also as a bestselling author, I think he's happy where he is now: reading a ton about the past and writing about it. Not all people want power and prestige.

Olimac21

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Dec 3, 2015
Belo Horizonte, Brasil

Technically he was a board member of American Appearel if I remember well, without having any kind of business education in his life and he could be considered charismatic cult leader in some ways (fans following his books or people who invite them to conferences, I have heard that even Berlusconi reached out to him once to talk about power).

In his area however you cannot deny the guy has been succesful and at the end what is best to be in the top 1% in your chosen field?

GMSI7D

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
Jan 27, 2016
Lyon, France

we can say the same thing for philosophers : Nietzsche and others

so here is the answer:

these guys are on earth to be messangers, not to be doers

their job is to say: " hey guys, look here for a minute. here is a philosophy for you because you are smart to understand it and you deserve the best in life "

this is what Robert Greene does : he is the messanger for you so you can see things from another point of view

you may say : do we really need messangers ?

yes and here is an example

do you understand this picture ? you probably don't understand the meaning

look for a minute and i tell you the answer

wash.jpg

this is a freemason monument

here is the real meaning

water is a symbol for the masses who don't have goals . they follow the leaders who do have goals for society

they are the energy of society . this is yin

the monument stands above the water; like masterminds who stand above the masses

this is yang

so without a messanger like me , you would never have understood it

so you get the point about the authors and their work

wash2.jpg

Digamma

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Nov 13, 2014
Because he is an entertainer who sells books for normies who want to feel powerful, not a genius at manipulation. Greene's books are 50 Shades of Gray for wannabes.

Ayanle Farah

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
Dec 13, 2016
Because he is an entertainer who sells books for normies who want to feel powerful, not a genius at manipulation. Greene's books are 50 Shades of Gray for wannabes.
Way to downplay the influence of his books, his advice is applicable in real life. How about you tell me then, what it takes to get into a "power position"?

ShamanKing

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Aug 30, 2018
California
In the beginning.

@Achilles

@ChasingPaper

@S&P

"Let’s say that through some miscarriage of justice, you find yourself locked in prison tomorrow. Browsing through the prison library, you find there is one book that is constantly requested, but hard to get your hands on. What would you think that book was? Legal case STUDIES? Lock-picking manuals? The Bible perhaps? Close, but no cigar.

It’s none other than Robert Greene’s bestselling The 48 Laws of Power, which has sold over 1.2 million copies worldwide. Greene’s books are famously the most requested in correctional facilities across the United States, an achievement he bears with pride. (The author has a folder dedicated to the fan mail he receives from inmates).

However, it’s not just convicts who have taken to Greene’s works. His books are a favourite of WALL STREET executives, movie moguls and hip hop superstars. Some of his more notable fans include rappers Busta Rhymes, 50 Cent, Jay Z, and Kanye West.

With five international bestsellers on strategy power and seduction, Greene is the hero of schemers, manipulators and the power hungry; from the Hollywood elite to the lowliest criminal. If the subject matter of his books is anything to go by, you’d think he would present like a character from Game of Thrones, cold and conniving.

Yet for all his accolades, Greene seems astonishingly normal. A native of Los Angeles, Robert Greene currently lives a quiet life in a Spanish-style villa in the suburb of Los Feliz. -Foundrmag.com"

I've bought the book but not finished it yet. Great reading and I hope no one uses it with evil intentions.

Digamma

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Nov 13, 2014
Way to downplay the influence of his books, his advice is applicable in real life. How about you tell me then, what it takes to get into a "power position"?
I didn't say the advice cannot be applied to real life. I said his books are entertainment.

I also definitely did not say I am an authority on how to get into a "power position", whatever that is.

For a forum focused on business, there is more to learn from the spell his books create on their target market than from the books themselves.

It's easy to "think like a producer" when talking about products for which you are nowhere near the target market.

This is what I see constantly on this forum.

Who buys pet rocks? Not us, we think like producers!
Who buys fidget spinners? Not us, we think like producers!

Low hanging fruit. Who is thinking like a producer when the product is playing to your fantasies?

I mean, it is in the book itself, isn't it? Law 27, play on people's need to create a cultlike following. Law 32, play on people's fantasies.

Yes, I read the thing thoroughly. I enjoyed it. I learned from it. And I also understand it for what it is.

I like Greene's work very much. I like his branding even more. And I think there are valuable lessons in it for the people in this forum. That was the way I intended my post.

If my defining it entertainment causes you to react with negative emotions - and I'm not saying it did, maybe it did not, but that's the feeling I had from your post - then you should ask yourself why, when you have no horse in the race.

Ayanle Farah

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
Dec 13, 2016
I didn't say the advice cannot be applied to real life. I said his books are entertainment.

I also definitely did not say I am an authority on how to get into a "power position", whatever that is.

For a forum focused on business, there is more to learn from the spell his books create on their target market than from the books themselves.

It's easy to "think like a producer" when talking about products for which you are nowhere near the target market.

This is what I see constantly on this forum.

Who buys pet rocks? Not us, we think like producers!
Who buys fidget spinners? Not us, we think like producers!

Low hanging fruit. Who is thinking like a producer when the product is playing to your fantasies?

I mean, it is in the book itself, isn't it? Law 27, play on people's need to create a cultlike following. Law 32, play on people's fantasies.

Yes, I read the thing thoroughly. I enjoyed it. I learned from it. And I also understand it for what it is.

I like Greene's work very much. I like his branding even more. And I think there are valuable lessons in it for the people in this forum. That was the way I intended my post.

If my defining it entertainment causes you to react with negative emotions - and I'm not saying it did, maybe it did not, but that's the feeling I had from your post - then you should ask yourself why, when you have no horse in the race.
I read his books and didn't like it because it makes you distant from other people when you apply the stuff, though I don't like the principles and the hidden message in the books, I don't underestimate it.

That's why I was surprised when you reduced it to mere entertainment for "normies" in your post. I don't have negative emotions, not defending these books whatsoever.

GMSI7D

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
Jan 27, 2016
Lyon, France

come on

the guy is very smart. he understands society very well.

this is not entertainment at all. i hate entertainment . i am not on earth to belong to the crowd

and be entertained to death by society

i am not energy in someone else 's agenda like the crowd .

soc.jpg

his " 33 strategies of war " is a masterpiece. nobody writes like him.

yes his books are not for you the masses because you don't have to think deeply

you are on earth to be part of someone's agenda

his books are for deep thinkers that are managing society

Last edited:

G-Man

Cantankerous Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
543%
Jan 13, 2014
I like Greenes books, but my theory is that he's a guy that's really into history and realized popular audiences don't want to to read history books... So he sussed out all of the Game of Thrones worthy moments from history, arranged them thematically, then went to Home Depot and bought a wheel barrow to catch the money.

Bryan James

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
182%
Jul 1, 2018
Texas, USA
I'm a fan of Greene's books, but I'm more interested in the historical stories and sociological/psychological wisdom contained within them. I think if someone used his books as manuals for how to get to the top you'll likely attract a lot of enemies. I dunno. Very interesting material though. I believe a new book of his just came out or is about to.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.