The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

the myth of new

Tanishatheangel

Bronze Contributor
Sep 22, 2017
life
so chevy or whatever company just released its new 2019 silverado, in 2017. so basically when its time to buy it it'll be a 2 year old car that you can bet your last dollar that they'll charge a premium for, so i guess my question is are all new cars/ products, even iphones, tv's everything are we really buying used items for that high price? and if so how do we get actual new cars, tvs phones etc to get the most for our money, i wanted to put this in the rant section but couldnt find it

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MidwestLandlord

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
759%
Dec 6, 2016
A "2019 model" being sold in 2017 = marketing strategy

55,000 miles in stop and go traffic, beer stains on the front seat, cigarette burns in the ceiling, scuffs on the back seat from hauling around their dog (or worse, their kids haha) = used

Big difference.

It's not some evil conspiracy from a giant corporation full of greedy rich guys attempting to take advantage of their customers...just marketing. (The evil stuff for new cars tends to happen on the financing side of the deal)

I see the "evil rich guy" narrative is alive and well though.

Fpm9

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Jul 27, 2017
Paris
That seems weird to me.. whats the next step ? Buying a 2041 silverado in 2018 ? It too obvious this is a marketing strategy, if I buy one I won't feel like I live in the future or something

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
It kind of sounds like you're not familiar with how the car industry works.

Car company's have always sold "a year ahead". That's how that whole industry works. If you're buying a new car in 2018, you're likely getting one with a 2019 sticker on it. It''s just marketing (as other's have said).

Also, it's only 2017 for another week or so - so I wouldn't get hung up on the fact that it's 2017. And certainly wouldn't say 2019 is "two years out".

Regardless, you aren't buying "used" just because the year marking on the product is in the future. If you buy a 2019 model in 2018, you're buying new. If you buy the 2019 model in 2019, it still may be new, but not the newest model. It's not like you have to wait until 2019 to buy the 2019 model.

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but the truck is not available for sale. It will be available sometime next year. Nothing odd about that. It's the classic pre-release hype that gets people excited. Apple are masters of that.

• Banned

Tanishatheangel

Bronze Contributor
Sep 22, 2017
life
It kind of sounds like you're not familiar with how the car industry works.

Car company's have always sold "a year ahead". That's how that whole industry works. If you're buying a new car in 2018, you're likely getting one with a 2019 sticker on it. It''s just marketing (as other's have said).

Also, it's only 2017 for another week or so - so I wouldn't get hung up on the fact that it's 2017. And certainly wouldn't say 2019 is "two years out".

Regardless, you aren't buying "used" just because the year marking on the product is in the future. If you buy a 2019 model in 2018, you're buying new. If you buy the 2019 model in 2019, it still may be new, but not the newest model. It's not like you have to wait until 2019 to buy the 2019 model.

so basically buy a year ahead, that makes more sense

• Banned

Tanishatheangel

Bronze Contributor
Sep 22, 2017
life
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but the truck is not available for sale. It will be available sometime next year. Nothing odd about that. It's the classic pre-release hype that gets people excited. Apple are masters of that.

it does seem like paying new price for a year old product isnt exactly fair but no one said lifes fair anyways

Tanishatheangel

Bronze Contributor
Sep 22, 2017
life
That seems weird to me.. whats the next step ? Buying a 2041 silverado in 2018 ? It too obvious this is a marketing strategy, if I buy one I won't feel like I live in the future or something

yeah i totally agree it can be like what is the point of buying something if its not even an accurate presentation of what your getting

Tanishatheangel

Bronze Contributor
Sep 22, 2017
life
A "2019 model" being sold in 2017 = marketing strategy

55,000 miles in stop and go traffic, beer stains on the front seat, cigarette burns in the ceiling, scuffs on the back seat from hauling around their dog (or worse, their kids haha) = used

Big difference.

It's not some evil conspiracy from a giant corporation full of greedy rich guys attempting to take advantage of their customers...just marketing. (The evil stuff for new cars tends to happen on the financing side of the deal)

I see the "evil rich guy" narrative is alive and well though.

yeah they gotta make money and in the end they are providing value

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.