The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Kyle Keegan Radio Show

G

Guest-5ty5s4

"Dear Slim Liz, I wrote you but you still ain't calling
I left my cell, my pager, and my home phone at the bottom
I sent two letters back in autumn, you must not've got 'em
There probably was a problem at the post office or something"

Great episode, and great idea. Let's get this show on some bigger air waves!

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
That is so great! Glad to have you listening! @Tethys

Ladies and Gentlemen! Monday's Show is READY!

Prepare to be blown away as Dave and I each discuss 3 fundamentals of business.

We also have a callout for very special listener right at the end so stay tuned for that!

Get it while it is hot! 6 Fundamentals with David Happe

I need a rug in the office... I just realized that and will address that promptly.

What a great show. Make sure you have a pad of paper and a pen when you listen to this one as Kyle drops some great knowledge bomb from the school of hard knocks on fundamentals of building a business. You know it's a fun show when the first part of the post-show recap discussion is whether or not it needs to be marked as EXPLICIT. I enjoyed my guest spot on the show, and look forward to all of your comments and key takeaways. And yes, a special shout out to the "special" listener mentioned at the end of the show. I probably even know who it was...

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
That is so great! Glad to have you listening! @Tethys

Ladies and Gentlemen! Monday's Show is READY!

Prepare to be blown away as Dave and I each discuss 3 fundamentals of business.

We also have a callout for very special listener right at the end so stay tuned for that!

Get it while it is hot! 6 Fundamentals with David Happe

I need a rug in the office... I just realized that and will address that promptly.
Very good.

Takeaways (from memory as I was walking and didn’t have pen and paper) and with commentary in my own words:

Don’t burn your boats. Don’t go all-in. Don’t be a dumb-a$$ and listen to the “gurus”. Build up that business so it can stand on its own, and don’t try to make it support you too early. It’s like a little flame you’re fanning and don’t want to extinguish.

Capitalism is about creating win-wins. It’s a force for good because a rising tide lifts all boats.

Get your why right. Responsibility. (With great responsibility comes great power.) For me, I have to help people. If I’m not helping anyone it all grinds to a halt.

Be ruthless with expenses. You won’t remember the luxury car, but you will appreciate the savings from hiring the economy car.

Be professional. Be on time. Look the part. Be prepared.

I’ve missed one but can’t remember it off the top of my head.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
The major criticism against capitalism is ‘the wealth is held by 1% and so there is unequal distribution’. What they fail to see is that capitalism offers them opportunities everyday to move into the 1% category but they decide not to pursue it.

The 1% is also much more fluid than people think. It's not uncommon for people to move in and out of the 1% over time.

Capitalism is the only economic system that actively deals with the world, and human behavior, as it is at the present moment while allowing for people to make bets on the future.

Capitalism does not promise an equal, or even "fair", distribution of wealth or wealth growth. Milton Friedman stressed this, explaining that the strength of capitalism was in an individual's ability to choose. In my view, capitalism is beautiful because it allows for people to choose to take risk with an expectation of a disproportionate reward... if they wish to. Nobody is forced to do anything. Nobody has to participate if they don't want to. It allows for people to protest capitalism while organizing said protest on Facebook via their iPhones.

Where capitalism gets "bad" is when businesses use the government's monopoly on the use of force to protect their interests at the expense of others. But that's to be expected if there exists a government run by people, as it's human nature to use whatever resources you have at your disposal to mitigate risk of ruin (aka someone stealing from you, or destroying your income source, or simply encroaching on your client base). People are corruptible, after all, and government officials have their own incentives.

There's no need to look at capitalism with rosy glasses, because as participants in the system, we are encouraged to look at it as it really is: warts and all. The reason is because capitalism is a result of the interaction between certain human innovations (particularly credit, the concept of capital ownership, and the concept of fair exchange of value) and human nature. Capitalism doesn't need to be sold to people. you don't need to convince people that capitalism is good. You can literally do nothing and capitalism will appear. Why should we expect anything less?

Jon L

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
272%
Aug 22, 2015
Bellevue, WA
one little 'ah HAHaaaa' moment from a listener...

I've been realizing that I know a fair amount about business. Here I was, yesterday, selling a website to a lady, and I don't even do websites. I've only done my own, poorly.

But I understand business process, and I can talk to business owners about their needs. And so, I'm putting together a deal.

Now. This is a small deal with a small company. Here's the ah ha: What's the difference between this thing that I'm doing, and a larger deal? Not much. Maybe an extra zero or two (or three or four). In the end, there's relationships, clear thinking, service, process, good discussion, etc. And maybe some lawyers, but I'm guessing its much of the same thing. If I can think about business process on a smaller scale (and have the lady thank me for my time, knowledge and insight, essentially thanking me for selling to her), why not on a larger one?

Has me thinking...

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
May 1, 2011
So I asked Kyle to invite one HUGE A-lister. His immediate response? "I will reach out."

If this guy is on the show (and he actually DOES accept invitations if time permits), it'll be so EPIC I can't even explain it. I'm not going to say who until he agrees. Then you'll have to thank me guys LOL.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Kyle and Dave, you literally taught us gold with the "TOP DOWN" approach.

Sent an email to Walmart Canada's COO at 1 am last night. Got an email back at 7 am this morning with the Sr Director for the category we're in cc'ed... talk about work ethic though, COO of Walmart Canada replying to an email at 7 am.

Added a screenshot. Still need to perfect my email skills, but it worked!

View attachment 33760

sidebar, Walmart executives are my reference standard. A buyer might NEVER return your call, but a buyer that gets an email from an EVP within Walmart will ALWAYS call you. So glad this is resonating for you.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
About people stealing each other's businesses... My goal would be to have something so big, something that makes such a splash, that two things occur...

1. Too many people know about OF my business to contain copycat attempts if they had the balls to try anyway.

2. Copycats will ultimately go belly up trying... Why? Because I don’t do easy or simple. Copycats, by definition, want easy and simple.

Knowing the intricate details about Martin’s business that I do, even as his advidor, I couldn't even rip him off if I tried.

Have you guys noticed the radio show itself? I have 33 episodes in 6 weeks. If someone wants to follow the type of action I normally take...

MAY THE BEST MAN WIN...

...And it isn't going to be the one copying.

SJuan9

Patrón
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
190%
Nov 22, 2017
USA
How long ago did you live there? I am curious what you didn't like!

@Kak; born and raised. I left around 9 years ago, but still keep ties due to family and some projects I want to develop down there in the future, as now I'm an expat and qualify for act 20. Locals don't qualify for these acts and are still taxed around 30% (last I checked), plus the +10% sales tax.

Let's just say everything runs with a certain degree of inefficiency and pessimism that permeates all aspects of life, and the local government likes to 'emotinally' overstep its bounds too much. However, law 20 folks seem to be insulated from much of the local drama.

I think that having the capability of delegating all governmental interactions and being able to travel to and from the island at will, mitigates many of the negatives. Also, it's good to keep a mainland address and ID (can't vote for president and gun laws are horrible). There are some other factors that weigh in on my perspective, but they're based more on personal experience.

It's good to do business THROUGH and FROM Puerto Rico, just not WITH Puerto Rico.

As a side note, PR did have a robust manufacturing an pharmaceutical industry due to tax breaks up until the mid 90s (IRS sec 936). Much of the economy went to sh!t after that ended. But, rumors are that the Trump admin wants to move much of the pharmaceutical production back to the US, and guess what place is supposedly on the short list with all the infrastructure and human capital? An possible economic boom could be on the horizon for PR if this is true.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Episode 53 Is Here!

Special Guest Rabbi Daniel Lapin

He's the bestselling author of Thou Shall Prosper and Business Secrets from The Bible.

Despite the fact that Jews are a very small part of the world population, 35% of the world's billionaires are Jewish. What are they doing differently? What makes their culture better for business? What can you do about it?

Join me as I have a fantastic discussion with Rabbi Daniel Lapin... Listen carefully and you will find our which one of us would win in a drag race.

View: https://youtu.be/4GJefNSkdNQ

Last edited:

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Folks, we have seriously made it to 65 Episodes!

I would have never guessed this in a million years, but now this show is becoming a part of me. Crazy.

Today, per a discussion I had with @million$$$smile , is a talk about starting... The very infancy of a business. Some of you may have ideas and don't know which one to pick. Some of you might be considering another company and don't know where to start. Others might be pissed of and ready to make a move out of your job... In this episode, I do my best to help you make it take shape.

View: https://youtu.be/S_vFpT6R98w

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
20201203_153715.jpg

I have shared pics of it in the past. To give you an idea of the scale of it that is a 50 inch TV as my monitor.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Today, I am taking an emphasis off of the more political topics and back towards the core of the show... Entrepreneurship and building. I will always stick up for capitalism, but I am NOT going to lose sight of the REASON I do, which is our building of great things.

Lately it has felt like an awful obligation to address the political happenings, since there have been so many. It has been tiring and uninspiring to me. Obligation ROBS my inspiration...

While it is never the intention to stifle an entrepreneurial process, too much dwelling on political misgivings can have a negative impact on our motivations. THAT is the LAST THING I would EVER want to do, yet, I am guilty of the demotivation such a focus produces.

Today, I begin to guard against that, even though it makes me feel like I have let the commies win (and it shouldn't because the destruction of motivation is actually losing.) We, as entrepreneurs exist to navigate, to the best of our ability, the system we have, and improve the world via our value.

We believe it and if the world doesn't, so be it. We will make it happen anyway.

Last edited:

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
What’s your quote about influence and wealth and how it’s not even taxed @Kak?

Two kinds of wealth. Resource and influence.

Resource is traditional wealth. The purchasing power of products, services, and more opportunities.

Influence is the kind of wealth best illustrated by the sharks on shark tank. One phone call changes an entire business forever. You can sell your company and start another with almost immediate success.

I would argue that in the long run, influence is the most important of the two and actually leads to more resource wealth than just focusing on resources to begin with.

My favorite part, influence can not be quantified, so it isn’t even taxed.

Basically the earned respect of others = influence. It is highly important.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Ladies and Gentlemen. Episode 200 is upon us. This has been so unbelievably cool and I just want to thank my loyal listeners!

It turns out that I have something extremely cool for you guys for episode 200 that you’re not going to want to miss. I don’t have guests very often, as this isn’t some interview podcast like so many out there, but when I do, you know it’s going to be good.

WillHurtDontCare

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
305%
May 28, 2017
USA
@Kak, have any of your podcasts talked about how young some people were when they did incredible things?

Caesar Augustus raised an army at 19 (he later became Emperor and died in his bed in his mid 70s).

Hannibal was leading a war with Rome in his 20s IIRC

Here are the ages of the founding fathers when they signed the declaration of independence

James Monroe: 18
Alexander Hamilton: 21
James Madison: 25
Thomas Jefferson: 33
Thomas Paine: 39
John Hancock: 39

You get one life - swing for the fences

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Discipline.

I’ve missed more than 9,000 shots in my career. I’ve lost almost 300 games. Twenty-six times I’ve been trusted to take the game-winning shot and missed. I’ve failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed. - Michael Jordan

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt

"It is not just any kind of practice that leads to mastery, but deliberate practice with feedback." - Houghton Mifflin Harcourt author Rachel L. Schechter, PhD

Malcolm Gladwell is full of shit. 10,000 hours doesn't make you a master. But the @Kak school of discipline plus strategy can get you there in half the time.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas

Today I talked about entrepreneurial education. No one is going to teach you exactly how to run your business. This is an individualist journey. We educate ourselves according to our needs.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Thanks @Kak for having me on your show. As an avid listener it is a privilege to have been invited. And thanks again to @MJ DeMarco for making this place, your books and making it possible for people like me and Kyle to connect. That's a massive value that I hope all new members can see and take advantage.

To the listeners, I have gone a little long winded (lack of interview experience but a lot of stories to tell :rofl: ). We also had some technical challenges on my side and the voice is a little quieter, again lack of experience on my part. Hope you all enjoy it and get a little something out of it.

It's been a blast talking to Kyle, as always. Thanks again for having me on your show!
No apologies necessary. I was egging you on anyway. Great episode bro. I would have been fine with 2 hours of that’s what it took. :thumbsup:

Your average loudness is dead on, exactly the same as mine. It is all -16 LUFS. I just swing harder with it.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
457%
Mar 15, 2018
Thanks @MitchC for the kind comments! Thanks brother.

only if there’s no other leader, if there’s already a leader then help them

Yes, exactly that.

I see two types of leadership: soft and hard. Hard is when you have the title, the "crown". Everyone knows you are the leader because it's hard written - CEO, President, Director etc. The soft leadership is someone who's at the event, sees some garbage lying on the floor and picks it up. Then sees a chair in the way of traffic and moves it, sees a small person from the venue trying to move a bigger table to make room and helps them. I promise you one thing - that person who's helping like that will get noticed. I tried to be that guy first and soon after I offered to raise money for events, then got elected to run them etc.

I didn't want listeners to think that overnight with some magic I just got 1,000 people in my industry to show up to events with no prior network, money or experience. Like a business, it starts somewhere small and grows. And it can grow fast!

The wrong way of doing it is to come up to the leader and ask "can I have your job please?". You may laugh if you think this is ridiculous, but I lost count the number of times I was asked that for our networking group. Always the same type of person, someone who's objective is shortcut recognition. To get the title but do least amount of work. To me that's lazy and ego talking. And those guys, to this day I don't think they amounted to much, still seeking that shortcut, that unicorn.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas

Everyone thinks the world, in terms of economics, has never been worse... Oh... It has...

We measure wealth over time in terms of STANDARD OF LIVING, not the monopoly money we call the USD or whatever other fiat currency you want to use. Entrepreneurs are responsible parties for the wealth we enjoy today.

Side note, now you guys can also see why I love podcasting so much. It's incredibly fast. I found out about this video at 10:30 AM ish CST... It is now 11:30 CST and a new episode about this video has been up for 20 minutes.

@MJ DeMarco Thanks for posting Kite & Key's video! It was gold for discussion.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T4UfXxYvqs

Last edited:

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
In this episode we go over optics... How you are perceived by the market...

So many entrepreneurs LOVE to act like they don't care what other people think. They do so at their own expense.

The market decides what companies are and are not successful. The market is comprised of people you influence. This is an objective truth.

What happens when you soil your name? What happens when you build your name?

Last edited:

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
If you guys want to help the show:

Email Liz Aiello at SiriusXM and share why you love my show and that you think it should be on SiriusXM. It will mean more coming from a loving audience member than myself.

Please be professional, but have at it. Share it here if you do. :cool:

IMG_0156.jpeg

LAiello@siriusxm.com

Last edited:

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
457%
Mar 15, 2018
Dear Liz Aiello,

I’m writing as one of many listeners of the Kyle Keegan Radio Show.

The show is somewhat unique in the way Kyle’s style and message pierces through the noise of everyday issues and inspires action from entrepreneurs.

There are plenty of business shows, yet I keep getting drawn to KKRS. As an entrepreneur I keep finding golden nuggets there, I think Kyle’s potential to impact millions is limitless if given the right platform.

What would it take to be able to listen to him on SiriusXM? Why isn’t it on yet? Seems like a great fit.

Regards

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Mitch summed up my point pretty well. (Thank you)

But what he missed and you slightly touched on was a subtle prod to any readers/lurkers looking to "do something" or "gain experience".

Who on this forum wants a chance to be on the dream team? How many people would benefit from a chance to speak directly with @Kak on an ongoing basis and helping create this vision of KKRS on Sirius?

If everything is always on @Kak then yeah, the results are always going to take a back seat to his chemical company and his newer project. And it'll be what it has been.

But why bring up Sirius at all if this is just free pro bono radio? Sirius has a business model. Feed that business model.

Anyone need sales experience selling sponsorships?
Anyone need experience editing content?
Anyone need experience creating TikTok snippets from existing podcasts?
Anyone want to set an editorial calendar? Maybe make it public so people have episodes to look forward to?
Anyone want to promote this kind of stuff on social?
Anyone want experience running a small ad campaign (surely Kak can spare a couple hundred to promote the show, see aforementioned sponsorship opportunities for revenue source)
Anyone think they want to be, dare I say it, a co-host?

You know, whoever does this is probably in a pretty good position to sell marketing services to other podcasts, business coaches, agencies, etc.

Just some food for thought for those on this thread that have already been inspired to think bigger.
Someone truly impress me. Bizy is right.

This is not my main business. It’s not really even a business. I don’t count on it for anything. It’s a hobby, fun, easier than writing, and good communication practice. What I recognize is that it COULD be something more and I would be stupid to not be open to that opportunity.

Here’s what I will commit to. If some large broadcast company wants to give me reach and airtime, I will commit to record one or two episodes a week with a specified length, broadcast clock, and even topics. 90% business, 10% economics, 0% politics. Libertarianism is a losing battle in politics and marketing.

I will always do very generous things for the right team. If you (speaking to someone who truly wants to impress me) want to get me the deals, I will give you HALF of the proceeds for a year. Get advertisers. Get broadcast time. Get more advertisers based on the broadcast time. Repeat, repeat, repeat. If you rock, you now have something great to sell.

Now, someone, impress me. The invitation is open. I’m not going to tell any of you how.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Something I smiled at listening to both @Vigilante and @Kak initial episodes? They both had technical issues but left them in.

Lol!

This is something we were both talking about last night. While the Spreaker studio program is great for just banging something out and publishing it... If someone came and rang my door bell and pissed my dog off there is no easy way to pause that and cut it out.

Literally, episode two is recorded on a high dollar broadcast software and I’m hooked. Worlds better. It is a great example of diving in. Learning something and pivoting.

I didn’t need to do 2 months of research. I just needed to become a radio host.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Since I am kind of using this as the discussion thread and also a progress thread, I listened to a podcast called "The Audacity to Podcast"... He is literally a podcast about podcasting. He had an interesting point on explicit tagging.

Now, those that know me know I can sometimes be a little salty, but honestly, that is a bad excuse. It is not something I am not exactly proud of. I let a F slide on the Elon Musk show and just kept it in there. I marked it explicit because of one word... That seems a bit ridiculous to have to turn away potential listeners just because I let one word fly.

I want to be proud to share this radio show with anyone, including young people.

It was literally nothing for me to take that show down, cut the word out of there, and repost it clean.

That said, this is a learning process. This isn't a phone call with a friend where I can get angry let loose. This is a radio show that goes out to a lot of people. So I am taking my own professionalism advice. I intend to keep it PG13 from here on out and avoid ever having to put the explicit tag on there. That is a pretty strong label for a fun business radio show.

I am not writing my book that way, it is not the way I handle business meetings, and I am not going to run the radio show that way either.

Last edited:

rpeck90

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Nov 26, 2016
United Kingdom
David & Kyle, excellent shows (I've listened and subscribed to both).

Some takeaways:

On keeping expenses low, Bill Gates used to fly coach even when Microsoft was a public company. One time, he chartered a plane because he had to attend a meeting and Steve Ballmer scalded him for it:
In my own life, I've held similar ideals (thanks largely to my mother). A good example is when I attended an art convention in Paris several years ago, I didn't book a hotel for the last evening, instead using it as an opportunity to walk around the the center of the city and observe the monuments. No tourists at the Eiffel tower @ 2:30AM:

c86b858ebd7680f591794ee2924a87e8.jpg
267dcb444e64b542b500ef10c7016b23.jpg
9e2662a419e19e3d905a556be6c213c0.jpg

-

On the customer being right, I don't think the Apple example is as cut and dry as you made it sound.

Yes, they excelled at making their products brain-dead simple ("intuitive") (which is what a large number of customers "want"), but the most important thing they did was innovate.

The iPhone is a once-in-a-generation product which redefined culture. Its impact has been so great that it's rare to see anyone without one. Creating such a product not only requires the design acumen to make it simple, but the engineering prowess to create a new form factor. Achieving this was very hard.

My point is that, whilst an intuitive UX was obviously what people "want" from Apple, that would be nothing without the core focus on innovation that Jobs, particularly, was known for.

The problem with this is that it often leads innovative companies do things that are somewhat contrarian to what people think they want. For example, the iPhone 4's Antenna problem was blamed on customers not holding the phone correctly. Another example would be the removal of the headphone jack.

Doing "what the customer wants" is not necessarily in their best interest. The best example of this is from this CopyBlogger article, suggesting that instead of trying to force-feed children their greens, why not blend them into a tasty milkshake, which they want to drink (if you gave them what they "wanted", they'd be eating sugar all day... but if you give them what they "need", they'll thank you later in life): -
2. Make it taste good
On the other hand, you try feeding my kid broccoli.

I think it’s fantastic stuff. I eat it every week. My kid considers it the culinary equivalent of waterboarding.

To me, broccoli is delicious. To my kid, it’s not.

Different markets want different things.
It’s much easier to sell something people want than it is to sell something they need. We’re grudgingly pushed toward certain behaviors by our needs, but we’re pulled wildly by our wants.

Basically, you have two options.
  1. You can find a customer who adores broccoli. They’re certainly out there.
  2. You’ll sell something like a smoothie. It has the vitamins, minerals, and fiber of the broccoli, but it tastes more like a milkshake.
When you’re selling it, bring up the delicious taste first, and close the deal by making them feel good about all the logical health benefits.
There's a Henry Ford quote bandied around which suggests the same:
If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses.

I'm not suggesting the notion of the customer being right is incorrect, but once you get deeper, there are certain "things" that the buyer wants from a product (results). I think this is likely what you were trying to emphasize. Buying Apple isn't (necessarily) about having the highest Ghz chip... it's about having an up to date device that works without having to spend 3 months getting it set up properly.

-

On professionalism, I think that's one of the largest takeaways anyone can have.

I've been in situations whence "dressing down" was considered normal. The best people still showed up dressed properly. The reason was they actually wanted to grow and progress. For the price of a decent suit, shirt etc (which, even if you go totally bespoke, would be no more than $5k), you'll be treated MUCH differently than if you didn't.

A GREAT demonstration of this is when Kevin O'Leary referred to a watch as a "conversation starter":

View: https://youtu.be/y_inZW20i3M?t=665

Buying a high end watch (and, yes, it has to be real) has little practical value.

However, the implicit value of owning it (why you own it, how you came into it) is what creates value for you. People want to know its provenance, and will often approach you based solely on the perception curated by it.

The notion is exactly the same with dressing well. Dressing properly (particularly if you're male) changes how people respond to you. I think women have it a little harder as their "dressing well" can often seem suggestive... but for a man to actually give a damn about getting his suit cut properly, well fitted shirts, and getting in shape is underrated. The reason (without going off tagent) is men are typically valued on their performance.

A word of warning on this is that if you dress "too" well, it becomes distracting. I've seen guys wearing the whole shabang, without anything to show for it. As O'Leary alludes-to in the video above - it's probably better to accentuate your wardrobe as many do their body. Most buy Tattoos as a means to immortalize some moment in their life. You can do the same with your clothing (I don't advocate tattoos) - push the boat out every so often and buy something that signifies a particular moment in your journey.

Over time, you get a stable of high quality pieces which ooze sophistication, as they have stories attached to them. You're not buying a Tom Ford sweater just because it's there... you bought it because it was the first time you'd made $10k in a month.

As a final part to this, notice how Kevin refers to one of his pens as a "weapon":

View: https://youtu.be/2wfWK2Z9A58?t=597

Same sentiment as above.

--

I just listened to the first 2 episodes. So much gold.

Had a bit of an epiphany while listening to Dave talk about how extra features or better specs don't mean anything unless you are listening to the customer. The customer is always right. Loved the Apple/Android and iPod/Zune comparisons.

There are countless businesses started on the premise that you can take an existing product and simply add features to it and you will have a winning combination. You can add all the features you want, but if you are not in a constant feedback loop with the end-user, those features will fall on deaf ears.

Big realization for me also. Put in other words, you could say that focusing on the provision of results (rather than product) is what drives value.

inputchip

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
409%
Mar 26, 2017
www.tmkings.com
“Some people say, "Give the customers what they want." But that's not my approach. Our job is to figure out what they're going to want before they do. I think Henry Ford once said, "If I'd asked customers what they wanted, they would have told me, 'A faster horse!'" People don't know what they want until you show it to them. That's why I never rely on market research. Our task is to read things that are not yet on the page.”

― Steve Jobs

I think this quote often gets misinterpreted to the point where entrepreneurs think that they don't need to do market/user research. He isn't implying that at all. In my opinion, Steve is saying that customers might not be able to articulate the SOLUTION to their problems, (i.e. they don't know what they want as a solution), but they can surely articulate the problems that they face and what they would like to see improved.

Sure, most people would state that they wanted a faster horse, but this is just one of many solutions to the problem of slow transportation.

People would say, "we need a faster way to type on our phones, we want letters on our dial pad!" But really, there are multiple solutions to this problem (e.g. T9 texting, flip-out keyboard, sliding keyboard, blackberry keyboard, touch screen keyboard, and then something completely outside the box, voice to text transcriptions.)

Apple has perfected problem-solving in innovative ways. More-so in the Steve Jobs era than the present day. But make no mistake, product improvements are always based on end-user feedback, whether or not they can explicitly articulate it. It helps when the innovators are also end-users of their own products such as in the case of Steve Jobs.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Ladies and Gentlemen! Show #4 is now available!

It is inspired by the Forbes Billionaire list!

Apple (For some reason the new episode isn't on the site yet, but it is in the app and ready to listen)

Spotify

Google Podcasts

Spreaker

Or whatever your favorite app is that you have been listening to it on!

We also have some serious GOLD content coming from 3 amazing forum members on the way in the next week or so! I am incredibly humbled by the amazing response we have gotten so far. This is fun despite my introversion! Maybe I will have to do a show about facing fears head on.

Don't forget to record some of your questions to be featured on the show!

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.