The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The Journey Begins (disenchanted programmer who discovered fastlane)

luckywatcher

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Aug 9, 2020
Utah
Howdy, everyone! I have lurked the forums for a few weeks now. It is time I introduce myself.

For years I have felt that I would never be happy with a 9-5 job. I have always wanted more. I never could articulate what felt lacking -- but about two years ago I started to tell myself, "I want to do my own thing. I want to build a business." I had no specific reasons for wanting to do that. I did not care to be my own boss, to choose my own hours, or to be wealthy. All I sensed is that I would never feel accomplished living as everyone else did. (I could go on explaining where some of these intuitions came from. I will save those for another post though.) Fast forward to a few months ago and I had a breakthrough.

Reading TMF immediately followed by UNSCRIPTED was enlightening. The books articulated what I had felt for years. They helped me understand the intuitions I had for years: I did not want to live a life of mediocrity; I did not want to live life selfishly; I did not want to live a life dictated by others. Instead, I want to live an intentional life; I want to create value for others; I want to make a positive difference. The cherry on top is that it is possible while also achieving financial independence.

I am convinced TUNEF is my path forward. It can help me achieve my life goals. Reading success after success in the forum community excites me. I know it is hard work, but I am willing to put in the time and effort. Focusing that drive is key, and TUNEF (more specifically a CENTS business) the direction I should move.

Thank you, James Jani, on YouTube for openly discussing TMF and UNSCRIPTED . I do not know how else I would have stumbled on this forum. Thank you, MJ, for the books and the forum. Thank you, forum community, for the inspiration and, hopefully, continued support.

I feel charged -- I want to change. I need to channel that into execution now. So, what is next for me...?

I work as a software engineer right now, full-time. The famous F*** This Event (TFE) has not yet happened. I intend to find an idea, validate it, and bootstrap it as a side project for now. I am single and have plenty of capital to get something started. I have enough resources to pursue something and not gain any money for two years since I am debt-free. (Man, that freedom feels good!)

I have signed up for a call for Fox's Web Design program. I do not know if I will go down that route since I have very strong technical skills already -- but it could help me learn sales and copywriting. Having accountability built into a program like that could prove useful too.

I have been looking at businesses for sale on BizBuySell. I have no intention of buying a business right now, but I am using it to find ideas. I know I do not need to create a groundbreaking business. I need to improve an existing process: do something better than everyone else. Choose a value skew that attracts customers.

What is next in short:
  • I have the time and capital to pursue an idea
  • I need to start learning sales and copywriting skills
  • I am constantly looking for business ideas to start validating and begin execution on
I am excited about what comes next. I know it will be a hard and long road, but the destination is well worth the effort.

As a side note, I want my first project to be a website project. I want to leverage my existing tech skills if at all possible. Though I am not entirely against going a different direction.

P.S. I have been thinking of finding a mentor. Any tips or tricks in finding one?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MHP368

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Aug 17, 2016
Sahuarita AZ
how hard would it be to code from scratch a medical EHR?

because they all suck a$$ from a user interface perspective yet for some reason hospitals keep shelling out 6 figures for these things.

GillesX

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Aug 31, 2020
België
how hard would it be to code from scratch a medical EHR?

because they all suck a$$ from a user interface perspective yet for some reason hospitals keep shelling out 6 figures for these things.

Hello,

Coding an EHR from scratch isn't that hard, but making them interlinkable to the other systems that are currently in place at the hospital is the biggest hurdle.

Cheers,

Gilles

luckywatcher

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Aug 9, 2020
Utah
From the little research I've done, Gilles is right. The integration with existing EHR systems is hard. Building out an entire EHR system may be unfeasible. However, there are EMR systems that are similar, but do no require the integration layer. That seems to be the easiest thing to tackle. (I'll admit, I know very little about the healthcare industry though.)

I wonder how the EHR systems integrate and share data. From what I've seen, there's a few services you can integrate into that make it easier to integrate into the others. Health IT has a whole section explaining EHR systems, their relative advantage, and how to adopt. It seems like an emerging technology ripe with needs to be solved. I plan to research the field a bit more and see what falls out!

FierceRacoon

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
Jun 1, 2019
The main problem with EHRs is that there are so many, and they are all incompatible. The average Medicare patient in the U.S. has data spread over 9 different EHRs, or so I was told by a senior medical executive at some conference a few years ago.

A little different from EHRs, I've done some work with billing systems. To say that technology is awful is an understatement.
For example, Eligible is an industry-leading solution because, and I am not kidding you, they are offering a JSON REST API. Apparently, the 17 or so other medical clearinghouses have not yet figured out how to do it.

Here is an example from https://www.bluecrossnc.com/sites/d...s/public/pdfs/837_Institutional_5010_v3.4.pdf:

100816*1144*U*00200*000000031*0*T*:~GS*HC*901234572000*908887732000*20100816*1615*31*X*005010X223A1~ ST*837*0034*005010X223A1~ BHT*0019*00*3920394930203*20100816*1615*CH~NM1*41*2*HOWDEE HOSPITAL*****46*0123456789~PER*IC*BETTY RUBBLE*TE*9195551111~NM1*40*2*BCBSNC*****46*987654321~HL*1**20*1~NM1*85*2*HOWDEE HOSPITAL*****XX*1245011012~ N3*

Yes, medical bills are transferred in this format in 2020.

The main barrier to entry is chicken and egg: everyone is using legacy systems, and selling anything requires negotiations with hospital executives — or at the very least, with the CFO of a smaller practice.

luckywatcher

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Aug 9, 2020
Utah
A little different from EHRs, I've done some work with billing systems. To say that technology is awful is an understatement.
For example, Eligible is an industry-leading solution because, and I am not kidding you, they are offering a JSON REST API. Apparently, the 17 or so other medical clearinghouses have not yet figured out how to do it.

I currently work in fintech. Integrating with banks seems very similar! Having to generate a fixed file format for anything feels archaic. The ACH system is still done in a similar way to this and it's awful. Many of these older systems are ripe for disruption.

The main barrier to entry is chicken and egg: everyone is using legacy systems, and selling anything requires negotiations with hospital executives — or at the very least, with the CFO of a smaller practice.

I agree with this wholeheartedly. The barrier for entry is quite high since the existing systems are very well established and heavily government regulated.

luckywatcher

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Aug 9, 2020
Utah
I do want to jump to action and start executing on an idea. I should do as MJ recommends and look to the industry that I currently know. I'm sure there are tons of needs ready to be solved -- but I'm still honing that skill of identifying them.

I have a friend who's writing a SaaS product for small catering companies. One thing she did that I like is that she read a few books on how to start a catering company. From it she gleaned the biggest problems catering companies face: 1) showing up late to an event and 2) not having enough food. The software she writes is keeping these problems the main focus. I wonder if there is something similar I can do to identify problems an industry has.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...