The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

The Happiness Chronicles

Learn how to build wealth and win financial freedom the Fastlane way!

Say "NO" to mediocre living rife with jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence. Join more than 70,000 entrepreneurs who are making it happen.
Join for FREE Today
Get the books
Remove ads? Join Fastlane INSIDERS
(Registration removes this block)
A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

RebornPhoenix

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Apr 27, 2020
Netherlands
About a week ago (22/07/2022), I took a leap of faith and bought @Fox's course on web design.

I thought it would be quite cool to capture my successes and failures. Also, it would be a way to give back to the community as I have been simply consuming without producing for a long time.

Goals (End of 2022)​

1. Get 2,000 euros per month. This would be enough to move out of my parent's house.

What I have done so far​

1. I reached out to my local Facebook group with an offer to design a website for free. Out of about 30 messages, about 7 clients have the passion, interest and solid business ideas I am looking for.
  2. Started designing a website for my first - free - client. As a Computer Science student, I have some experience with coding, so I have chosen to modify an HTML template for this client.

Thread update frequency​

1. About once every 2-4 days; or earlier if I feel like it.

Notes to myself​

1. Stop going back to the drawing board at the first sign of a hurdle; push through it.
  2. Seek discomfort, failures and provide immense values.
Good luck everyone and let's get these dubs.

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

RebornPhoenix

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Apr 27, 2020
Netherlands
Update 29/07/2022
  1. I am almost about to finish the website for client #1. It is not a web-design-masterclass, but I think it meets all the functionaries set by her. For those interested, client #1 is a wedding card print service in Indonesia. They seem to be popular and have about 13k followers on Instagram.
  2. HTML templates are not very efficient. I have dedicated about 20 hours and 21 euros to this website now. Luckily I have summer vacation or else I would have been very pissed at myself. My following website will have to be with some other tool.

Last edited:

RebornPhoenix

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Apr 27, 2020
Netherlands
Update 01/08/2022
  1. Finished website for client #1. She said she wanted some revisions, so I will work on that now.
  2. Started website for client #2. Learning from past lessons, I have picked up Webflow. Although it seems easier, making the website responsive is super annoying as the elements keep moving around. For those interested, client #2 is wanting a landing page for a tea product. I think I can get quite good results from this as the tea itself has a great story and he has also hired a top-level marketer to promote the product.

Last edited:

Primeperiwinkle

Platinum Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Nov 30, 2018
These updates are good, keep 'em coming. I hated HTML templates and gave up for a while. I'm interested to hear if you find a good work around.

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Primeperiwinkle

Platinum Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Nov 30, 2018
They are so time-consuming! Did you get back to ever using them again?
Nope. Not to be discouraging but I don't need the money I'm just sick to fekking death of ugly websites and "easy builders" that create lag and screw your SEO so I keep circling around this idea of just building them myself for ppl I love. But I suck at code.. so.. much.. ugh. Takes me forever. Basically I just commented so I wouldn't lose your thread. Also, you have sales skills so I'm fairly certain by next year you'll be making 10k a month.

RebornPhoenix

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Apr 27, 2020
Netherlands
Nope. Not to be discouraging but I don't need the money I'm just sick to fekking death of ugly websites and "easy builders" that create lag and screw your SEO so I keep circling around this idea of just building them myself for ppl I love. But I suck at code.. so.. much.. ugh. Takes me forever. Basically I just commented so I wouldn't lose your thread. Also, you have sales skills so I'm fairly certain by next year you'll be making 10k a month.
Thanks for the words of confidence :)

In regards to your message, I agree with what you are saying. I have a friend who is trying to do SEO for a client that has their website on Wix and it is a NIGHTMARE.

On the other hand, I don't think there is any harm in using some website builders. As long as it solves a problem, looks neat and is SEO compatible, I say why not?

Also, coding can be quite annoying to learn, I feel you. If you are ever stuck on a bug or need some extra hands, I am always down to help you out quickly via Zoom/Google hangout or smth.

RebornPhoenix

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Apr 27, 2020
Netherlands
Update 05/08/2022
  1. Finished revised website for client #1. I still stand by my point that HTML templates are like a black hole - they will just suck your time.
  2. Finished the initial version of the website for client #2. I first created it on Webflow. However, I really struggled with making it responsive on all devices. I almost started missing HTML templates, but then I started over again on WordPress. I tried Elementor (and found it annoying), so I stuck to my previous WP stack of Betheme + Bebuilder. After 1.5 hours of setup, the website was then finished in 3 hours.
  3. Talking to some new clients on the side. Most of my traffic is still coming from that Facebook post on the local group. One of these clients wants to transform an Adobe XD design into a website and he is willing to pay. However, after having consulted the experts in Fox's program, I am on the mind of skipping this project. The reason is that I am not solving any real problems, nor getting real results that I can showcase in the future. Nevertheless, I have messaged this client for a call/meet-up. My aim is to really understand his problem and see how I can serve him the best.

RebornPhoenix

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Apr 27, 2020
Netherlands
Update 08/08/2022

Productivity has been very low as I have been hit with heavy migraine attacks. The only time I feel relieved is when my eyes are closed and I am lying motionless in bed. Nevertheless, the show must go on.

1. Secured my first paid client over the weekend! I mentioned him in point #3 in my previous post. After consulting with the FWL Facebook group, I decided to charge him the biggest number in my mind, which was €850. However, he said his budget was €1000 and he was willing to give it all to me! This project will start at the end of this month.
  2. Almost secured my second paid client too. She owns a consulting firm that wants to redesign a single aspect of the website. The budget is €1000. Unfortunately, she wants a designer that is officially registered with the chambers of commerce in my country (for tax benefits apparently). Unfortunately, I have not done this. The registration is time-consuming and will drain my money at this moment. Most likely I am losing this one...
  3. I finished the initial version of the website for client #3. She is an interior designer. I don't know about this project as she is just starting out and I doubt I can get very good results/provide any real value from her website. Nevertheless, using WP + Betheme, the website was done in about 4 hours. Let's see what she says.
  4. Client #1 has come back with another round of feedback. I feel like she is really abusing her position of my free offer. She also seems to want some complex CRM system installed. I plan on incorporating the basic stuff, but then I will have a call with about the CRM stuff. It is too time-consuming for no money.
  5. Client #2 has gone AFK after I delivered him his landing page. And the next thing I see is that he has incorporated half the things on the landing page on his own website. Incredible. I have his address and have half the mind to show up at his door and give him a good earful.

RebornPhoenix

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Apr 27, 2020
Netherlands
Update 11/08/2022
Migraine hit the worst a few days ago and productivity was brought to a standstill. Now I am recovering and looking to start pushing again.
  1. Finished website for client #4. She owns an apartment in Spain and wants to showcase the design. Again, this is perhaps not the best client for me to take as the results gained are not too great. However, I committed a while back and I like sticking to my words.
  2. Set some boundaries with client #1 as she was asking for too many revisions. However, this project will continue to take some time to finalize.
  3. Client #2 and #3 are now both AFK. I am pushing/calling them every 2-3 days for feedback on the website I did for them. Once again, this really drills into me now @Fox 's message about choosing good clients!

RebornPhoenix

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Apr 27, 2020
Netherlands
Update 15/08/2022
  1. Finished website for client #5. He owns a law firm and wanted to make his website more professional. This one was free as well.
  2. Finalised revisions for client #1. Now I am ready to upload it to her Cpanel and create a small tutorial on how she can edit the website in the future.
  3. Built my website and email. I had the urge to spend hours on this stuff, but I realised that this is just action faking. I have kept the website quite simple and mainly highlighted the results I have gotten my clients so far. Admittedly, I have no concrete results (yet); however, I am still going to try and truthfully market myself.
  4. Starting my Sales process. The temptation to just take a few days off to learn is very great - especially with all the content out there. However, I am an action-taker now. Today I joined some more local Facebook groups and promoted my stuff. I am now going to focus on providing value to these groups and promoting them again every month.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Must Read Books...

Explore books recommended by MJ DeMarco and other members of the Fastlane entrepreneurial community.
Fastlane Bookstore