The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The Google Plus1 Roll-Out... Genius or Gimmick?

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

PaulRobert

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
May 15, 2009
New Jersey
MJ you are a genius! lol Everyone on facebook is going nuts asking for invites. What was one of the first things I did this morning? I added a +1 button on my website.

Rickson9

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Sep 4, 2010
Canada
So true! I ignored my Google +1 invite.

• Admin

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Everyone on facebook is going nuts asking for invites.

It is happening all over FB. The funny thing is ... if Google just opened it up for everyone, no one would join and there would be no buzz. The *invite* thing and scarcity of supply creates this environment.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

roc

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Feb 12, 2011
Should be interesting to see what happens between the two, IMHO I think Facebook will remain the #1 social network but I could be wrong.

I read somewhere online that this whole started out because Google wanted more access to Facebook user date for stats and ads, and i guess Facebook did not want to go along with it.

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
Are we talking about Google+ or the +1 button here? Two different products that integrate with each other. Google has always used the scarcity tactic on every product launch though. gmail, voice, google+, wave, etc etc. I remember getting a wave invite, going to use it and thinking it sucked.

The other thing it's great for is even if you dont care about the social worth aspect of it, you will atleast try it, since your friends invited you, you feel pressured to atleast sign up. Sort of like when you are invited to a party.

domular

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Jun 24, 2011
Houston, Texas, United States
I think the real question is at this point does anyone need another social network? Let's face it at this point people are overwhelmed with options and there are only so many hours in a day. I don't believe for a second that social networks are going away but I do believe most people will be lazy and gravitate to one and spend little time visiting other social networks.

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
Yup that is certainly a big issue. I just read "into the plex" which was a in depth look at how google operates on the inside. They mentioned they never chased anything before until social and thats why they are failing. The thing is, in a phase, one leader comes out. IMO I think google should be focused on the next thing vs chasing facebnook in this phase if their goal is to stay relevant.

Paul allen mentioned the same thing about MS in his book, he said he was surprised they stayed on top so long -20/30 years or whatever it is. But their time will be coming to an end eventually like DEC and digital research of the past.

Rickson9

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Sep 4, 2010
Canada
Invitation-only and zero-to-100 are similar, well known, and wildly successful, marketing tactics that appeal to those who are working towards managing their ego.

Best regards.

tchandy

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Aug 16, 2007
Kansas, for now
I think the real question is at this point does anyone need another social network? Let's face it at this point people are overwhelmed with options and there are only so many hours in a day. I don't believe for a second that social networks are going away but I do believe most people will be lazy and gravitate to one and spend little time visiting other social networks.

You read MJ's book. He mentioned you don't need to start from scratch, just take something that's already there and just recreate it. This could be what Google is trying to do. But this is only the beginning and I'm sure they have more tricks up their sleeve.

Tom

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.