The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The Easiest Way To Succeed As an Entrepreneur

Rickson9

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Sep 4, 2010
Canada
I love Altucher! Although I don't agree with everything he says, a lot of what he says is spot on! He is dead on in this article on so many things:

Get a customer first! Entrepreneurship is hard enough, don't make it any harder without customers!

99% of financial news is garbage if not outright lies!

Listen. You’ve been hypnotized. You’ve been told you need a corporate job. You need a college degree!

Best regards.

Graves

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jan 31, 2011
Quality article, thanks Jack Edwards ! :D +rep

In about twenty minutes I’m going to go to the local café here, The Foundry, and bring a pad, order a coffee and muffin, and write down ideas for businesses. Then I’ll probably throw the piece of paper out. Because ideas are useless. They are just practice to keep your idea muscle in shape.

FAKE RULE: People say, “Execution is important”. That’s not really true either. Execution is useless. It’s a commodity. The only thing that’s important is money. You get money by having a customer.

Also,
There’s $15 trillion dollars in our economy, recession or no recession. It's falling like snow.Reach out with your tongue and taste it.

Rickson9

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Sep 4, 2010
Canada
"When I started my fund of hedge funds I didn’t put one dime into the expense of setting it up until I had the first $20 million commitment. $20 million with a 1.5% management fee meant an instant $300 thousand in revenues, plus extra money for legal fees, etc. Enough to pay a salary or two. It took a year of cultivating my network before I had that commitment, but it worked."

So much for needing a wack of degrees and related experience!

Best regards.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

sharky

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
49%
Mar 2, 2011
Philadelphia
Interesting article JackEdwards…I have to agree that having a customer first is a huge advantage, however I strongly DISAGREE with his FAKE RULE that execution is useless, a commodity. Execution is the key to a successful business. How are you finding customers? You are executing on your marketing & sales efforts. How do you bring your ideas to fruition? By executing on building your product or service. How do you grow your business? By executing on marketing, sales, delivery, customer service, expense control, and on and on. Execution is what separates the winners from the losers.

I would hate to see people get the wrong impression that execution is useless. Even if you have a built-in customer based on your idea, you still have to execute and build your business so that you can deliver on that idea...success will not magically materialize out of thin air.

Rickson9

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Sep 4, 2010
Canada
With regards to "execution being a 'fake rule'", I took James to mean that, unless an entrepreneur succeeds on executing to get customers (in some cases, at least ONE customer), the rest doesn't matter. Speaking for myself, I agree.

"When I started my fund of hedge funds I didn’t put one dime into the expense of setting it up until I had the first $20 million commitment. $20 million with a 1.5% management fee meant an instant $300 thousand in revenues, plus extra money for legal fees, etc. Enough to pay a salary or two. It took a year of cultivating my network before I had that commitment, but it worked."

I liked this idea a lot. Even though James has an unrelated degree in computer science, I think his approach on starting his fund is brilliant.

Best regards.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
What an awesome article!

FAKE RULE: People say, “Execution is important”. That’s not really true either. Execution is useless. It’s a commodity. The only thing that’s important is money. You get money by having a customer.

But how do you get a customer? You execute. Money is a by-product of having a customer which is a byproduct of execution. (Pick up the phone, do deals, network, etc.)

While we all agree that the AIR we breathe is everything, without lungs, the air don't matter much now don't it?

FxInvestor

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Nov 7, 2008
Mumbai, India
Fantastic Article! Its good to know that I have learned something new and insightful.

I think as you read the various books, articles and blogs from successful entrepreneurs, you just realize that there is more than one way to skin the cat.

It can be bit confusing and at the same time a bit encouraging. Bottom line is that you need to find a "need", fill that need well and repeat it.

Great article.

winner

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Apr 6, 2011
Thanks for sharing! I especially liked:

Listen. You’ve been hypnotized. You’ve been told you need a corporate job. You need a college degree. You need stability. You need the white picket fence. You need the IRA and the health insurance. Snap your fingers in front of your face.

I do believe that our society/culture believes this because it's all we've ever been taught growing up, it's all we've heard. Entrepreneurs change this mentality which is very much needed.

Graves

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jan 31, 2011
Yeah, I think out-of-the-box thinking usually is the way to win a game.
When the middle-class wants something, the rich make profits by providing it to them.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
The more I read the article, the more I like it. Thanks for posting it.

djs13

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Oct 3, 2007
NY
- Ask. In the meetings ask the question, “what one product can I build for you that you will definitely buy?” Remember, execution is a commodity. Because of globalization you can build anything for cheap. I built the first working version of Stockpickr.com for $3000 in Bangalore. Throw in another $150 from a design made in Siberia. You need zero skillset for that. Just a good idea muscle, an ability to sell, and modest ability to manage a project.

Although I've never tried it, I think this is an extremely simple yet effective strategy. Alot of people talk about how its difficult to find a need in an area that they also have passion in. But what if someone were to write/contact all the businesses in their favorite industries and ask "what one product can I build for you that you will definitely buy?" That would solve both problems.

D

DeletedUser2

Go around being an Economic Doctor, A Market Medic, a Needs Nurse.

"does that hurt? where does it hurt? is that painfull? would you like a bandaid?

do that, and your customers will materialize before you even have a business.

suddenly!
A customer,

whoo hoo. now go create a business around that. done that a couple times. :) always works like a charm

GlobalWealth

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
Sep 6, 2009
Latvia
Altucher is one of the very few blogs I read every week. He is definitely out of the box.

He challenges the status quo. Very thought provoking.

CEBenz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Apr 16, 2011
Tacoma, Wa
I read that post a week or so ago after following a link from this site to his, and then promptly got lost in his blog. For those that haven't, go. Through and read the rest of his blog. There are some wonderful thoughts there, though I do believe the article that Jack so graciously linked to is probably the highlight.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.