• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 40,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

FEATURED! The Coming Recession (2018-2019?)

Discussion in 'Investing/Trading/Cryptocurrency/Altcoins' started by JScott, May 27, 2018.

1. JScott

JScott Legendary Contributor FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $41,672
    Consumer debt, corporate debt & inflation.

Tom.V, Bryan James and lewj24 like this.
  2. Mainstream7

Mainstream7 Beauty is Truth FASTLANE INSIDER

Rep Bank:
    $955
    So as expected SPX starts to panic. I could see another bounce/leg up into May 19. Let´s see!

3. MJ DeMarco

MJ DeMarco Raving Lunatic Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $343,616
    Admin Post
    Holy sh*t, woke up today and didn't even look at the market was doing.

Xeon and Mainstream7 like this.
  4. therealmark

therealmark Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER

Rep Bank:
    $1,133
    I’ve been paying attention since I found this thread a while ago. Since Friday I have been seeing a lot of what you’ve been predicting starting to unfold. Very cool.

Xeon likes this.
  5. MJ DeMarco

MJ DeMarco Raving Lunatic Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $343,616
    Admin Post
    Anyone who agreed with my theory and acted upon it should be doing very well right now...

Now you have to decide, take profits and double, triple your money? Or let it ride and go for 5X, 10X?

Tom.V, Xeon, sinj and 3 others like this.
  6. therealmark

therealmark Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER

Rep Bank:
    $1,133
    Since I’m only playing with FU money I’m going to let it ride and learn.

Xeon likes this.
  7. MJ DeMarco

Rep Bank:
    $343,616
    Admin Post
    Dow down over 800.

Wow. Just wow.

I took very little profits today, still going to hold longer for some follow through till we get about down 10%. While I'm into some really big gains, none of it matters until I sell and lock it in. Most of it is volatility expansion, VIX > 22.

I hold LONG VIX calls as well, those have already doubled.

Yet, It could all disappear in a few days.

I expect more follow through tomorrow, perhaps Friday.

Rebound = most gains will evaporate.

Tom.V, Xeon, RayAndré and 4 others like this.
  8. MJ DeMarco

Rep Bank:
    $343,616
    Admin Post
    Futures are already down another 20... that's another -2.00 on the open (SPY) or -20 on the SPX. Today was down was about 3%. Corrections usually go for 7-10%. Recession territory, 15 - 20%.

9. JScott

JScott Legendary Contributor FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $41,672
    I think we had the same theory... :)

All my options are concentrated into QQQ and XHB leap puts (between January and December 2019)...not selling anything yet...

Xeon likes this.
  10. Bryan James

Bryan James Bronze Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $820
    Boy the stock market got kicked in the nuts pretty hard today!

Xeon likes this.
  11. MJ DeMarco

Rep Bank:
    $343,616
    Admin Post
    As of now, the Futures are now showing a -4.00 SPY open, -40 on the SPX.

:jawdrop:

Bryan James likes this.
  12. RayAndré

RayAndré Dare to differ. Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $2,017
    Thanks everyone who's driven this thread over the past months. I've learned a TON of catch-up knowledge about the stock market I seemed to have missed in my first couple decades of life. :)

If only I learned options trading and invested like MJ suggested ;)

Xeon likes this.
  13. Rivoli

Rivoli Bronze Contributor FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,222
    So whats Socals' and MJ's recession prediction? When do you guys think it has a 75% chance of happening? 11/18? 12/18? 1/18? 2/18??

14. topherea

topherea Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $4,013
    @MJ DeMarco @JScott

I'm glad those trades finally turned in your direction in this stubborn market. I'm learning quite a bit from reading your posts. Curious as to how you guys deal with the amount of drawdown you incurred? Does it ever get painful? If so, how do you deal with that? Do you lose sleep and other similar things that I've seen other traders struggle with when in similar situations?

I ask because my trading personality wants to cut the loss and just wait for a reposition or the next fight. Plus I've seen well capitalized traders "flip a lid" and break stuff!

Also wondering how often early timing, which leads to depleted time value, affects your trades?

As always, Thank You

15. Jaden Jones

Jaden Jones Igloo Builder Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER

Rep Bank:
    $397
    I am still not cashing out on my SPX shorts, I think there is still a bit to fall. HODL hard friends...

Edit, 830am mountain time. Tech stocks already showing recovery this morning, will close all shorts very soon here.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018 at 10:27 AM
  16. MJ DeMarco

Rep Bank:
    $343,616
    Admin Post
    I incurred very little drawdown because I hedged the other side by making positive delta bets, many of them worked. So if I took a negative hit on the long SPX put bleed, I made it back in a long call elsewhere.

Now granted, all those hedges (yesterday) lost $$ and lessened the magnitude of the gains.

My central bet was a big decline, 10% or more. I accepted the risk that it's normally not a good bet and also somewhat costly.

The bet also has confirmed my trading style I've outlined on the INSIDE (30+ pages) whereas I much rather be SELLING OPTIONS over BUYING. I've been on the other side of this bet and while it can be harrowing, it is much easier to win on the other side when you have price movement, time, and vol reversion working for you. On a bet such as this, time works against you as does vol reversion, case in point, the start of today is DOWN, but VOL is also down, and that slight disparity has already wiped away 10% of yesterday's gains. (I'm right on the market continuing down, but volatility is retracting, causing the bet to lose value.)

While the market feels like a pause today, I might buy some more SPX puts, as much as a hate to do so at VIX > 20.

sinj, topherea, Xeon and 1 other person like this.
  17. MJ DeMarco

Rep Bank:
    $343,616
    Admin Post
    Cramer just said "now is the time to buy stocks..."

SELL SELL SELL!

G-Man, MustImprove, Tommo and 11 others like this.
  18. MTEE1985

MTEE1985 Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $3,919
    Learned my Cramer lesson when I was 17, bought a pharma stock on his recommendation and literally the next day lost 20%

19. JunkBoxJoey_JBJ

JunkBoxJoey_JBJ Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER

Rep Bank:
    $175
    Love reading this thread and don't even do trades or understand all of this!!!

This is like the question you ask your doctor, soooo if you had "a friend" who went to all cash in their (401k) about 3 weeks ago...

Thoughts?

Xeon and Get Right like this.
  20. Jaden Jones

Jaden Jones Igloo Builder Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER

Rep Bank:
    $397
    Probably not a bad idea considering what the Schiller PE and the Buffett indicator are at right now

JunkBoxJoey_JBJ likes this.
  21. NanoDrake

NanoDrake Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,020
    If we are lucky.

I'm looking closely at Turkey and Italy that might be the triggering factors
    While I'm pretty sure Italy won't default - Turkey remains a big question mark for me.

Kid likes this.
  22. MJ DeMarco

Rep Bank:
    $343,616
    Admin Post
    Today was a continuation downward, a close below the 200DMA for the S&P Futures...

Tomorrow will be the big TEST of the theory, usually markets around the 200DMA bounce up.

Fridays tend to move more violently.

Question is, will it be a violent rebound, or a violent continuation down, aka, Black Friday?

topherea, RayAndré, Xeon and 4 others like this.
  23. Jaden Jones

Rep Bank:
    $397
    I closed my shorts, mostly because I thought the reversal was starting. Even though it finished down, I think the reversal will start tomorrow. My prediction is a long doji or inverted hammer candlestick tomorrow....

24. therealmark

Rep Bank:
    $1,133
    I'm holding out one more day to see where things go. Granted I have so little invested I could lose out and be fine.

25. msufan

msufan Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,210
    On a side note, interestingly crypto also trended down yesterday evening after the stock market had declined. I had thought perhaps money would move from stocks into crypto in times like these, but that appears to not be the case.

Tomorrow morning I would expect things to bump upward initially and then what happens next will be critical. I agree with MJ that I expect a wild ride in either direction.

Xeon likes this.