• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 40,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

2. Forum *Official* Book Discussion
    Can't Hurt Me by David Goggins

The forum has voted to discuss this book. Grab it, discussion begins soon!
    Can't Hurt Me, by Goggins

FEATURED! The Coming Recession (2018-2019?)

Discussion in 'Investing/Trading/Cryptocurrency/Altcoins' started by JScott, May 27, 2018.

1. Carlitos

Carlitos Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $415
    What good is it to hold assets that hold their value if they need to be liquidated in order to get that value in cash. So If the dollar was to get destroyed in this next recession, then we are clearly back at square one.

Yea wages are really high, a lot of companies are raising their wages because they are having a hard time getting good employers. Also living expenses are really high in NYC the minimum wage right now is $13 and entering 2019 it will be $15. So with payroll going up companies will need to increase their services or product prices which still we are back at square one.

I’m really trying to figure out or at least get an idea what will this next recession hit hard. I’m also looking to get my first apartment in September I moved down to Atlanta from NYC after I saw how crazy expensive it was getting. Now I’m looking to pursue some sort of Internet business will having a 9-5 job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. JScott

JScott Legendary Contributor FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $42,852
    That's why cash flowing assets are the best assets to hold during inflationary periods.

3. WJK

WJK Gold Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $7,852
    We've been a recession here in Alaska since the oil market went from $123 to $35 a barrel around 2015/2016. I live in an "oil patch" area. It's the first recession this state has experienced since the 1970s. We're still in it.

No one around me here knew how to handle it. Coming from Los Angeles, I had been through several economic cycles since 1976 when I started.

I knew exactly what to do -- how to handle my low to moderate income, residential rental business. I cleaned house. That housekeeping included several evictions of marginal tenants, slightly lowered my rents and I stabilized my income stream.
    Several people in my little world told me that I crazy, but I didn't listen. It was a rough winter for me, but I did what I had to do.
    My program worked. I came out the other end stronger. I cut my vacancy rate and my collection problems. It's July and I haven't done any evictions so far this year. I have only 1 vacancy that has been available for less than 2 weeks.
    These things can be handled.

4. MJ DeMarco

MJ DeMarco Raving Lunatic Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $357,544
    Admin Post
    There isn't. This is just a gut feeling based on market action, global macroeconomics, and geopolitics.

Just to reiterate... my speculation is just that, speculation. However if someone want to make a bet on it, buying some cheap SPX or NDX puts could yield some huge gains. The time to buy these would be NOW because once the move starts and volatility spikes, you won't be able to buy cheap.

Just to give you a TASTE on how cheap puts respond during a correction or a major market move, here is how my cheap puts blew up in value during February's big decline.

Basically 4 cheap SPX puts bought for $450 turned into over $7,800.

Screen Shot 2018-02-05 at 2.37.56 PM.png

So if volatility retreats back to 11 or 12 (it spiked today due to Turkey drama) it could be the time to buy, although I'm still speculating that the decline will start toward the end of August/early Sept.

Just airing my speculation, this is not a recommendation to buy or sell any security.

5. Hurley32533

Hurley32533 New Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $49
    So, what’s everyone’s thoughts on purchasing a business this year with a fixed Sba loan? This business has 1-3 year contracts in place with 30 ish large corporations. The main service being offer to these large companies is recurring parking lot sweeping with additional add on services as needed. In terms of buying environment bear or bullish under these current economic predictions being made in this thread?

6. Hurley32533

Rep Bank:
    $49

7. jpn

jpn Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,046
    @Hurley32533

"Guess you have to have a higher worthless status to get a response around here? “Epic fakery” as they say"

Or people on here have a life and don't owe you sh*t.

And why on earth would a you let a life changing decision like taking a (presumably) large loan and to buy a business be influenced by people on the internet.

First of all, MJ and others think there will be a market correction soon as in weeks, a lot of other people in the world tend to think it won't happen for another 2 years. Both of those groups of people could be absolutely wrong.

Secondly, isn't it smarter to look at the business and run a worst case scenario? A recession is guaranteed to happen at some point in your life time again. How are you going to handle it?

What if you buy the business and the next day the world economy craters, a 2008 style melt-down. How would your business be impacted? How will your clients be impacted? Will they still need a parking lot sweeping service? And if not, how will you pivot/position to ensure that you provide value in a recession?

Mikkel, SMH, Hurley32533 and 2 others like this.
  8. c4n

c4n Full throttle Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $2,024
    1. asks a generic question no one can give a good answer to without knowing the details
    2. waits for < 10 hours
    3. gets piss*d off, tags people who have been here longer and have actually provided value to many others as "higher worthless status" and "epic fakery"
    You are off to a great start, welcome! :clap:::thumbsup:

Private Witt, Mikkel, SMH and 5 others like this.
  9. Hurley32533

Rep Bank:
    $49
    Now this is what I’m talking about. Definitely aware that no one owes me sh*t so that’s no news flash.

First off no where was it ever mentioned in the post that a decision to purchase the business was going to be influenced by what anyone on the net had to say.

Worst case scenario test ✔️ (Solid advice)

Finally some useful feedback. @jpn thanks for putting me in my place. Sad it took making a snide remark to elicit some member participation however it seems it definitely did the trick.Note to self

Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
  10. Hurley32533

Rep Bank:
    $49
    @c4n, On behalf of the community we all thank you for the play by play. Sadly you chimed in but left zero value but hey you responded! Appreciate your time champ!

11. JScott

JScott Legendary Contributor FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $42,852
    A lot of people aren't checking every post every day. Had you simply been a little bit more patient, you would have gotten a lot more useful responses. You probably won't at this point.

I was going to reply to your original post, but instead I'm going to choose to provide "zero value" instead. Feel free to whine, cry and call me names if you have to...

12. Hurley32533

Rep Bank:
    $49

@JScott , I sincerely appreciate your advice and I will take it into consideration in the future.You provide tons of value in this community as well as others and I’m honored to have received a response from you. No whining,crying or calling names here. Now on to more important things!

13. socaldude

socaldude Platinum Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $10,315
    So there was an emerging market sell off.

You guys think this foreshadows something in US markets?

I went ahead and bought some SPX puts with some FU money. The VIX is low so I figured they were cheap.

I guess well just have to see what happens next week.

14. Timmy1990

Timmy1990 Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,935

Over here in the land down under we escaped the last recession.

This will not happen again we will also go down with the sinking ship.

Xeon likes this.
  15. VanDaleK

VanDaleK Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $112
    Back during the 2008 recession...housing and jobs were the two factors that concerned me most...and I noticed them both becoming an issue in 2006.

I have a weird addiction to the MLS...and I watched (daily) as every new home listings came on the market for sale. In 2006...I noticed a flattening period where more and more houses were being listed and nothing was selling. I reached out to all of my friends who worked in the mortgage industry...and they assured me everything was fine. Most of my realtor friends said the same. Then finally...I got a hold of a realtor friend who was the most successful out of the bunch...and I sensed tremendous fear in his voice. He said this looks bad. He also said that this could be bad for as long as 10 years. He encouraged me to sell everything I had and rent for a little while...and to tell everyone I knew.

My sister had just listed her place for sale. I encouraged her to dump it and brake even. She was looking for the big payoff, and it sat for months and eventually it got foreclosed on. Another friend was buying, and I told him not to...and that he could buy that same house for half the price in a year or two. He laughed...and said there was a bidding war for that house. He bought anyways...and later got foreclosed on.

In my area at the time, the last home sold for $315k, but I listed mine for sale for $285k...lower than any other current listing. I had just bought it a year earlier for $235k. I was the last to sell...and everything else sat on the market for months before the market came crashing down.

Then I sat on the sidelines...waiting for my opportunity to jump back into the game and swallow up properties at a bargain...but then my company went out of business. I was let go. No worries...I had year of savings to hold me over...but then I couldn't find a job for the life of me. I couldn't even collect unemployment because I was considered a contractor who made 100% commission. I ended up having to move into my mom's house...with my new wife...who was pregnant with our first child at the time.

I searched for work for 2 YEARS...and nobody was hiring. I practically begged one employer during an interview to hire me for his minimum waged job...that was almost an hour drive away...but he wanted someone who knew how to operate a forklift with shift gears. It still haunts me, till this day, that I was giving up so much control of my life to some stranger that I didn't know...and begged for a job I didn't really want.

I decided this would never happen again. I immersed myself in reading, and educating myself in business, and marketing, and success. I started several businesses because nobody would hire me. Most of them failed, but one kept me afloat for years. I didn't make much. We struggled financially. Then I found the Millionaire Fastlane and discovered everything that was wrong with all of the businesses I tried...and everything wrong with the business I currently owned.

Fast forward to today. I was working at a bank for a while...paid off all my debts...bought a few properties...saved money...and I recently quit to jump back into business again. Interestingly enough...now that I'm going back into business...I'm back here at the Fastlane Forum with you fine folk. :)

Some of my successful colleges suggest that we're overdue for a recession. I totally disregarded that...until I noticed the data myself. The housing market has flattened out. Employment is still looking solid in my area. All I know is that IF another recession comes our way...then I'm going to make the recession my B@#%*. I'm better off financially, mentally, and spiritually than last time...and I'm prepared. It caught me off guard last time around. I intend to profit from those who are panicking.

What side will you be on? Prepared...or panicking?

Best of luck to you all!

16. MJ DeMarco

MJ DeMarco Raving Lunatic Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $357,544
    Admin Post
    I sense what I predicated is starting to happen with the latest "weird" market action in the last week. (visa-vie prices / vix)

We should see a confirmation within the next 4 weeks -- continued weakness then a big move.

I did buy some PUTS but even if I'm right, it doesn't stand to be something that will move my meter.

If not, oh well! I'd much rather be WRONG than RIGHT on this one!

Silver Silk and theresgot2bemore like this.
  17. MJ DeMarco

Rep Bank:
    $357,544
    Admin Post
    Clarification: I'm now positioned to profit on every single account I own on my theory.

If it doesn't shake out, I stand to sacrifice a few months of normal trading profits, plus the cost of the puts.

I've put my money where my mouth (my posts) are. ;)

18. Bryan James

Bryan James Bronze Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $875
    I'm hearing a lot of hedge fund managers and investors predicting a recession of sorts coming within the next year or so. The economy goes in cycles and this has been an unusually high point for an usually long amount of time. Time to start shorting?

19. AlessioLC

AlessioLC Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $2,196
    It's been a while since they warn us, and even if it's look like it's 'imminent', for the moment nothing..

GMSI7D and Bryan James like this.
  20. Andreas Thiel

Andreas Thiel Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $480
    One of the more popular funds that started shorting stocks is shorting european stocks in particular, and a relatively common trend indicator (according to "MONEY: Master The Game") might have triggered that. The 100-day-average fell below the 200-day-average, so it might be about a simple "the trend is your friend" scenario, not a full blown crash.

Read a book (in German) that summarizes the situation as follows:

the perfect storm is likely in the making, but the timeframe cannot be predicted. I might as well happen 10 years from now.

Things that can contribute to a crash:
    - The root causes of the last crisis were never solved
    - The Euro is a flawed construct
    - Escalation of tensions, maybe war between Saudi Arabia / Iran
    - China Trade War: this seems to be about world domination, not just a trade deficit - China and Turkey will be fought until they fall in line regardless of the cost. Assuming that interest rates will rise only moderately might be wrong, because rising rates are key to speeding up the process
    Rising rates are a problem because of the rising piles of debt
    - North Korea
    - Mass Migrations and the resulting tensions
    - Russia does not want to surrender all power and China's modern Colonialism is not their idea of a solution. What will they do when they are backed into a corner?

Just shorting is not a great strategy because the effects of monetary policy, stock buybacks after repatriation / tax cuts etc. plus willful blindness and misleading regular corrections can sustain normality for a long time. Using shorts as insurance in a portfolio can make sense.

I keep reading that insiders are selling stocks while they make their companies buy them back.
    That could be indicator that the powers that be are preparing for something ... but I have not seen any numbers related to those claims.

LuckyPup, masterneme and Xeon like this.
  21. MJ DeMarco

Rep Bank:
    $357,544
    Admin Post
    Your thread has already been posted, and your thread merged there.

Please search before posting threads that more than likely, have already been posted. Thanks.

Xeon, Bryan James and Andreas Thiel like this.
  22. ExaltedScorpion

ExaltedScorpion New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $83
    Why buy some SPX? Would it be best to buy some SPXS? It's 3x the inverse of the S&P.

Xeon likes this.
  23. socaldude

socaldude Platinum Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $10,315
    I'm no professional but I look at the S&P and I'm having a hard time understanding how it's worth 2900. Just thinking that It can/might rally to 3000 is crazy.

I mean S&P at near all time high and VIX at relative lows(In Jan before Feb correction it was at lows too!?) I'll take that bet.

These are the speculative puts I currently own. If I lose money I'll post it on here, I don't care, its from my FU pot. :blush:

Screen Shot 2018-09-15 at 7.48.11 PM.png

Last edited: Sep 16, 2018
    MJ DeMarco likes this.
  24. MJ DeMarco

Rep Bank:
    $357,544
    Admin Post
    Sorry but I hate to say this, but this is probably the WORST way to play a big market drop. (The 2900 SPX Put)

I will post this so it gives you a chance to re-strategize your bet, and teach other folks here some things on selling (or buying) options. I will also post this in my MEGA option thread on the INSIDE because it is a HUGE lesson.

Here goes...

Buy purchasing an ITM put option, you will be negating the real speculative value of buying put options: NOT the price decline, but the VOLATILITY EXPLOSION.

While your put will enjoy a nice price increase from the SPX decline, it will NOT enjoy a huge VOL expansion.

To demonstrate exactly what I'm talking about in REALITY, not theory, lets assume you made a similar bet on January 26th, 2018 -- a few days RIGHT BEFORE the huge February correction.

THESE ARE ACTUAL REAL HISTORIC NUMBERS BASED ON THOSE DAYS
    (Using ThinkorSwim ThinkBack Function)

You buy the 2880 SPX PUT with 62 DTE
    ========== Total Cost: $5,065 (50.65 X 100)

Screen Shot 2018-09-16 at 10.29.06 AM.png

The right bet is buying 10, 2555 SPX PUTS with 62 DTE

========== Total Cost: $5,050 (5.05 X 10 X 10)

Screen Shot 2018-09-16 at 10.28.27 AM.png

So now you have SPENT the same amount of money on the SAME BET.

Here is how it plays out...
    On February 8th, 2018 in the midst of the market correction, your 2880 SPX PUT would be worth...

Screen Shot 2018-09-16 at 10.26.15 AM.png

Your 50.65 put is now with 288.65 or $28,865
    (Total gain: 28,865 - 5065)

TOTAL GAIN: $23,800 - 471% !!

Had you bought 10 of the 2555 SPX Puts (Remember, same total cost!)

Screen Shot 2018-09-16 at 10.26.20 AM.png

Your puts would be worth $73.65 X 10 ... in other words, $73,650 (73.65 x 10 x 100)
    (Total Gain: 73650-5050)
    TOTAL GAIN: $68,600 - 1,358% !!

By playing (buying!) the WRONG option(s), you will cost yourself $44,800 in gains and nearly two-thirds of your (%) gain that should rightfully be yours!

:jawdrop:

---> SAME BET (The market is going down BIGLY!)
    ---> SAME COST (I'll risk $5K of FU Money!)
    ---> SAME OUTCOME (Holy sh*t, I was right, the market dropped big!)

---> NOT A DIFFERENT RESULT.

This is the power of volatility expansion if you are on the right side of the bet.

Buy the wrong option, and you neuter it.

Additionally, by buying multiple options, you can scale out of your position as the market drops.

With ONE option, you're either ALL IN, OR ALL OUT.

On February 8th, you can sell a portion of your stake to LOCK in GAINS and then ride the rest.

For instance, if you just sold ONE option you'd guarantee yourself a 45% return, even if the other 9 options expired worthless! Cost basis: $5,050, One option: $7,365, Gain 46% ... and then you have 9 options left...

OR sell HALF and let the other HALF ride...

Or sell 8 of the 10 and let the other 2 ride...

With ONE option, you've pretty much castrated your ability to really make big money from the bet. The expected value (EV) on your bet is significantly NEGATIVE, whereas the multiple option bet it will likely be positive.

I hope this information helps you!

Bora.s, Davidla, NovaAria and 34 others like this.
  25. socaldude

Rep Bank:
    $10,315
    Thank you MJ for your feedback it does help a lot. I appreciate it.

I'll see if I can do some adjusting this week if the VIX stays around 12.

I had a feeling about what you are saying as I was reading the thread on the inside. Far Far out of the money puts blow up more in a volatility explosion than closer to the money.

I guess a part of me wanted to get a little bit of the intrinsic value so my puts won't expire worthless as volatility always seems to go back down.

:oops:

MJ DeMarco likes this.

Join 1000s of entrepreneurs who are rewriting life's script and winning financial freedom.

---- ----

You must be a member to join the conversation.

Create Account

Join the community fast and easy!

REGISTER

Already have an account? Login here.