The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The Car Wash Business

comment

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Jun 20, 2011
I've made a similar thread in General Discussion about a simple mobile detailing business, but here I want to talk about actual Car Washes.

I've been entertaining the idea for about 2 weeks now and done a bit of research and I just cant decide if this is practical for someone my age (17) or a fastlane way of thinking. So here's some numbers.

There are three types of car washes

Full-service: Your car goes on a conveyer, gets sprayed, waxed, etc, and then exits the conveyer to be manually dried and polished. Usually these have in-door services like vending machines.
In-bay automatic (also called a rollover): You put in 5-10 dollars in a machine and drive into the bay while the wash "rolls over" your car, and then you drive away.
Self-service: The most common. You put in 25cents for a minute and you wash it yourself with supplied soap and water.

Now here's where I get a bit turned off by the idea.

Average startup costs per car wash:
5- bay self-serve with single in-bay automatic: $500,000 to $600,000
Full-service: $1,500,000 to $1,800,000

And here's the average you can make:

Full-service car wash: $500,000 to $900,000 per year
In-bay automatic car wash : $75,000 to $125,000 per year
Self-service car wash (assuming a four-bay, self-service facility): $55,000 to
$100,000 per year

So you can see, it takes about 4-7 years to make back what you originally invested, and after 7 years I'm sure things will be out of date and need replacing and other issues will arise.

Can someone my age actually start a project this large, or is this for possibly later in life?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

comment

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Jun 20, 2011
3 days and 0 replies. Man I'm surprised. No one on here has any input on this business at all?

MCD

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Mar 26, 2011
Those averages seem very high to me. If a car wash costs $10 you would need to wash 136 cars every day of the year to gross $500,000. In an eight hour day that is close to a car wash every four minutes. Seems a bit unreasonable to expect that much IMO. But if those numbers are correct and that is in terms of profit than that sounds like a hell of a business.

As for you being to young, I don't think that matters at all. The only thing that might hold you back is lack of funding because I don't know many 17 year olds that get approved for 1.5 million dollar loans. Also you might not be able get some of the permits and will not be able to sign contracts but in one year that won't be an issue so if its something your interested start working on making it a reality. If there is one thing that I can say that would help you it is that you shouldn't let anybody tell you what you aren't capable of doing. When I was 11 (or 12 can't remember) I was told that I was to young to get a DBA (doing business as) luckily I didn't listen. I marched down to the county clerks office requested a DBA for my DJ business and nobody stopped me. I'm probably the only minor in my county to ever get a DBA and I have a notarized certificate to prove it. If listened to what people told me, I would probably be like every other kid my age working at Baskin Robbins or the likes. So don't let your age get in the way of what you want.

comment

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Jun 20, 2011
Those averages seem very high to me. If a car wash costs $10 you would need to wash 136 cars every day of the year to gross $500,000. In an eight hour day that is close to a car wash every four minutes. Seems a bit unreasonable to expect that much IMO. But if those numbers are correct and that is in terms of profit than that sounds like a hell of a business.

As for you being to young, I don't think that matters at all. The only thing that might hold you back is lack of funding because I don't know many 17 year olds that get approved for 1.5 million dollar loans. Also you might not be able get some of the permits and will not be able to sign contracts but in one year that won't be an issue so if its something your interested start working on making it a reality. If there is one thing that I can say that would help you it is that you shouldn't let anybody tell you what you aren't capable of doing. When I was 11 (or 12 can't remember) I was told that I was to young to get a DBA (doing business as) luckily I didn't listen. I marched down to the county clerks office requested a DBA for my DJ business and nobody stopped me. I'm probably the only minor in my county to ever get a DBA and I have a notarized certificate to prove it. If listened to what people told me, I would probably be like every other kid my age working at Baskin Robbins or the likes. So don't let your age get in the way of what you want.

But being 17 I cant sign for anything, so I'm not sure how I'd go about getting a loan?

I'm starting a mobile detailing business for this year in hope when I turn 18 I can get a loan, or maybe I'll find something else before then.

My father, who's owned 3 huge businesses since he was 23 says that even if I'm 18 it will be impossible to get any kind of a loan "in this economy". It doesnt even have to be a 1.5 million loan, just a 500k loan to start a self-serve wash so I can get myself going.

I'm not quite sure what I'm going to do to get this started.

domular

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Jun 24, 2011
Houston, Texas, United States
Maybe dumb but if you want to get going without the loan you mentioned detailing which is more about labor and time and not equipment.

Calgary

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
36%
Jun 28, 2011
Once, I've thought of what it would be like to own a car wash as I love washing my rover.
So, after looking up how much a state of the art car wash would cost, i quickly lost interest.
However, another idea sparked which would cost that much as well but the risk of my business would be low due to the value of the assets. I haven't started my business yet. In the process of looking for some investors after making a VERY long business plan.

rc08234

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Jun 29, 2011
South Jersey
Those averages do seem a bit high. Its all about location though. I know a guy that owns one about 10 mins from atlantic city, right next to a few car dealerships and he makes serious money. Not only is he getting people coming and going from AC, I'm sure he also gives the dealerships deep discounts to get their cars washed there.

As for the loan, you would be lucky to get one for 50k, let alone 500k. Even if you took out a 30 year mortgage the payments would be 1600$ a month. How are you going to make the payments while you buy the property, design, and build it? You are going to need some other cash flows.

ljean

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
169%
Jan 22, 2017
USA
I think they are all trying as hard as possible to move away from coins to cards. That being said, someone will always have to do a site check EVERY DAY to check equipment is operating properly, clean mud & sand out of the bays, empty trash & vacuums, refill soaps & vending, etc. Its very labor intensive. And you will get death threats because someone lost a few coins in a machine. The lower end washes are terrible businesses from what I have seen, unless you are wanting to spend a few hundred grand to buy a job.

woken

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Mar 24, 2021
London, UK
It doesnt even have to be a 1.5 million loan, just a 500k loan to start a self-serve wash so I can get myself going.

Funny thing, I think I heard Donald Trump talk about “small loans” too :rofl::rofl:

900k a year from a single car wash? what am I missing here?
Where are you getting these numbers from?

G

Guest-5ty5s4

Funny thing, I think I heard Donald Trump talk about “small loans” too :rofl::rofl:

900k a year from a single car wash?
You can get an SBA loan with 10% down.

And yeah, 900k per year from one location is possible, but it would be a very high traffic location and very, very built up.

woken

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Mar 24, 2021
London, UK
You can get an SBA loan with 10% down.

And yeah, 900k per year from one location is possible, but it would be a very high traffic location and very, very built up.
Now I do really find this fascinating, because I never thought it possible. 900k?

What’s the average car wash cost in the assumed location?

G

Guest-5ty5s4

Now I do really find this fascinating, because I never thought it possible. 900k?

What’s the average car wash cost in the assumed location?
There are washes that are worth $50,000 and there are washes that are worth $5,000,000.

Go look on Loopnet. Same is true for gas stations, convenience stores, grocery stores, etc.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.