The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

(Radio interview) How to quickly get started in business

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Fantastic interview, Andy!

I have a lot of takeaways but a few really standout to me. A lot of time I look at skills I have and think of how to sell them, instead of how to use the skills I have to help someone, or solve someone's problem. Another thing that definitely hit me, is that instead of trying to pre-plan and develop some certain set of skills for what I think are problems, or looking for problems my current skill set can solve. I can listen to people and build the skills needed to solve their problem.

I don't need to anticipate a problem someone will have and build the skill to solve it before it happens, because problems that need solving are all around and just need someone willing to do the work required to solve them. Instead of building an offering to hopefully solve a problem, find a problem and build the solution.

Also as an IT guy in my current career, I definitely know what you mean when people see you as a cost and not an investment. One of many reasons I want to focus on adding value in my fastlane, I don't want to hear someone say "yeah it costs XYZ," I want them to say, "It made us XYZ!"

As always, thanks for everything Andy, I will be listening to the second part soon!
Oops. Only just spotted your post. Thanks for listening and the feedback.

How’re you getting on moving from being seen as a cost to adding value?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Dovahjiim

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
231%
Jun 24, 2018
UK
So, I was on PM with Andy and he suggested that I listen to this interview.

He asked me about my plans to drop the 9-5 and I replied with a load of waffle about what I am doing.
I think now, having listened to this, that I was over thinking everything, trying to plan to do too much or indeed, doing nothing useful.

It's obvious to me now that someone trying to start a business needs to reach out to people first and stop thinking about and worrying about what they may or may not need. You need to stop, listen and learn first and only then should you apply yourself to the solution.

Further, contacts that you make today, people that you help, can become valuable in helping you reach more and more people in the future.

I'll openly admit that I'm a little introverted and the idea of striking up these conversations with people makes me nervous. However, as an introvert that also means that I should be a good listener. I need to learn to tune that ability and use that to my advantage. I just need to get over that initial nervousness.

Last edited:

Late Bloomer

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Apr 17, 2018
I'll openly admit that I'm a little introverted and the idea of striking up these conversations with people makes me nervous. However, as an introvert that also means that I should be a good listener. I need to learn to tune that ability and use that to my advantage. I just need to get other that initial nervousness.

It's not about trying to convince people that it will be fascinating to talk with you. It's about letting them know that you sincerely care what they have to say. That you want to learn more about their experiences and how they think and feel. This takes the pressure off of you to come up with something great to say. Ask questions to make sure you understand. Ask more questions to learn more. Ask if something that came to mind for you, is a useful way to think about what they are talking about. This makes for an interesting conversation!

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I'll openly admit that I'm a little introverted and the idea of striking up these conversations with people makes me nervous. However, as an introvert that also means that I should be a good listener. I need to learn to tune that ability and use that to my advantage. I just need to get other that initial nervousness.
As @Late Bloomer just replied... don't make it bigger than it is.

I go in with genuine curiosity, and a genuine desire to help.

Here's a recorded chat with a fellow forum member that someone said was a good example of just chatting with them ... (see post 7 in the replies):

And someone said this call was a good example of "conversational selling", a new phrase on me at the time ... (see post 17 in the replies):

Dovahjiim

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
231%
Jun 24, 2018
UK
It's not about trying to convince people that it will be fascinating to talk with you. It's about letting them know that you sincerely care what they have to say. That you want to learn more about their experiences and how they think and feel. This takes the pressure off of you to come up with something great to say. Ask questions to make sure you understand. Ask more questions to learn more. Ask if something that came to mind for you, is a useful way to think about what they are talking about. This makes for an interesting conversation!

This is really helpful. Thank you.

As @Late Bloomer just replied... don't make it bigger than it is.

I go in with genuine curiosity, and a genuine desire to help.

Here's a recorded chat with a fellow forum member that someone said was a good example of just chatting with them ... (see post 7 in the replies):

And someone said this call was a good example of "conversational selling", a new phrase on me at the time ... (see post 17 in the replies):

Thanks, Andy. That helps reinforce the point.

There's some good observations in those two posts you've mentioned.
I'll have to have a listen to your chat with SinisterLex as well.

Iggy Irianto

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
238%
Nov 6, 2018
Great interview, just finished the Soundcloud one about Adwords.
I am looking into it now. I also found other results for "keyword planner", like SEMrush and KeywordTool. Gonna look into each of them and how they stack up against Google's.

Really thankful to have discovered this. Thank you very much Andy!

MHP368

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Aug 17, 2016
Sahuarita AZ
The biggest reason websites suck (aka How to get started in business quickly)

I did a radio interview this morning. It goes out somewhere in Dublin on Friday 03-Jun-2016.

I'll also be able to create some bullet point teasers to sell you, dear reader, on doing yourself a favour and listening to the damn thing.

Interested in your takeaways...

What were your takeaways?

What will you do differently going forward?

Here's the second interview with Mary:
Freedom, Motivation, and Grow What You Know

(For other recordings click HERE.)

I thought that storytelling as a teaching method was fascinating , made me think of this article :

How Inuit Parents Teach Kids To Control Their Anger

Inuits dont yell at their kids to discipline. They tell stories. So adult inuits end up never having anger outbursts like a westerner might.

Which also sort of pinged back to a brand as as story or sort of bridging to shared feeling with the customer , so the sale becomes em0tionally driven.

rosepxj

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Apr 22, 2019
Romania
Thank you for sharing your view. I really agree with the idea that you should start helping people next to you.

My husband and I have a new photography business. He's the photographer. We've build our website and done SEO and Adwords. What frustrates me is that on one hand, we don't get as many customers as we like, and my husband tries to work more on the SEO. On the other hand, our neighbour has asked my husband several times to do a family photo session, and he never found time for them.

I assume there are two reasons for this. One is that he didn't want to charge his normal price for a photo shoot because they are neighbours. The other reason is that spending time on his website is probably a higher priority than spending time on something not so rewarding.

I really want to persuade him into reaching out more and doing what he is good at, which is taking pictures and creating nice memories for people. How can I get this mindset to him to make him think that it's also good for our business?

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Thank you for sharing your view. I really agree with the idea that you should start helping people next to you.

My husband and I have a new photography business. He's the photographer. We've build our website and done SEO and Adwords. What frustrates me is that on one hand, we don't get as many customers as we like, and my husband tries to work more on the SEO. On the other hand, our neighbour has asked my husband several times to do a family photo session, and he never found time for them.

I assume there are two reasons for this. One is that he didn't want to charge his normal price for a photo shoot because they are neighbours. The other reason is that spending time on his website is probably a higher priority than spending time on something not so rewarding.

I really want to persuade him into reaching out more and doing what he is good at, which is taking pictures and creating nice memories for people. How can I get this mindset to him to make him think that it's also good for our business?
"Never found time" is a polite way of saying "I did something else instead".

Why is he tinkering with SEO? To get more clients? If someone asks for a photo-session then why is he tinkering with SEO instead of closing that sale, doing the work, and getting referrals and repeat-business?

Ask him if he wants to tinker with SEO and not get paid for it, or do photo sessions and get paid.

It sounds a bit like he doesn't want to be a photographer, is worried about pricing and delivering when paid, or is worried he won't do a good job (or all of the above).

What does he want?

rosepxj

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Apr 22, 2019
Romania
"Never found time" is a polite way of saying "I did something else instead".

Why is he tinkering with SEO? To get more clients? If someone asks for a photo-session then why is he tinkering with SEO instead of closing that sale, doing the work, and getting referrals and repeat-business?

Ask him if he wants to tinker with SEO and not get paid for it, or do photo sessions and get paid.

It sounds a bit like he doesn't want to be a photographer, is worried about pricing and delivering when paid, or is worried he won't do a good job (or all of the above).

What does he want?
With SEO, he tries to get more clients who look for wedding photography service, because the price is much bigger than a photo session. When he looks at our progress, he would normally just think about how many weddings we've got. Currently, the earnings from weddings account for 70% to 80% of the total amount.

I actually think the photography services apart from weddings have more potential, because they require less working time. So the value is actually bigger.

He is indeed concerned with the pricing for photo sessions, especially charging people he knows, such as friends, neighbours, friends of friends. We are living in a small community. The business here depends quite a lot on word of mouth. There are quite a few competitors who charge penny for their services, as low as 35 euro for a shooting. So my husband is always battling with the pricing. If he charges the amount that he believes that reflects his value, most people would be totally overwhelmed and walk away. If he charges less and gets the work, people will relate him with this particular price, and he will then find difficult to raise price in the future.

It's kind of difficult to get people appreciate the service we are providing. Very often, people here perceive a photographer as a guy with a camera. All he needs to do is clicking some buttons. In the meantime, they have a lot of expectations, especially they think if you edit images in photoshop, there is nothing you can't solve. And they are not willing to pay that much, because they think the product they get is just a couple of photos, without considering the whole range of work that is put into it.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
With SEO, he tries to get more clients who look for wedding photography service, because the price is much bigger than a photo session. When he looks at our progress, he would normally just think about how many weddings we've got. Currently, the earnings from weddings account for 70% to 80% of the total amount.

I actually think the photography services apart from weddings have more potential, because they require less working time. So the value is actually bigger.

He is indeed concerned with the pricing for photo sessions, especially charging people he knows, such as friends, neighbours, friends of friends. We are living in a small community. The business here depends quite a lot on word of mouth. There are quite a few competitors who charge penny for their services, as low as 35 euro for a shooting. So my husband is always battling with the pricing. If he charges the amount that he believes that reflects his value, most people would be totally overwhelmed and walk away. If he charges less and gets the work, people will relate him with this particular price, and he will then find difficult to raise price in the future.

It's kind of difficult to get people appreciate the service we are providing. Very often, people here perceive a photographer as a guy with a camera. All he needs to do is clicking some buttons. In the meantime, they have a lot of expectations, especially they think if you edit images in photoshop, there is nothing you can't solve. And they are not willing to pay that much, because they think the product they get is just a couple of photos, without considering the whole range of work that is put into it.
If he doesn't want to do non-weddings (like the family photo shoot next door), then maybe he can tell them he only does weddings? That way he's at least positioning himself as a wedding photographer.

Sounds like he's attracting the wrong prospects? "Sales is a screening process." (Blaise Brosnan) Where do his ideal clients hang out?

rosepxj

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Apr 22, 2019
Romania
If he doesn't want to do non-weddings (like the family photo shoot next door), then maybe he can tell them he only does weddings? That way he's at least positioning himself as a wedding photographer.

Sounds like he's attracting the wrong prospects? "Sales is a screening process." (Blaise Brosnan) Where do his ideal clients hang out?
That's why he doesn't really like to do photo shoots for neighbours or friends of friends. He either is willing to do free shoots for his close friends, or he charges his price to customers. He probably wouldn't say no to requests for non-wedding events if the time and pay are okay, but he promotes himself more in the wedding photographer direction.

Our ideal clients are people who actually use Google to search for photographers in areas that we cover. It's a special phenomenon in our country that a large population of young workforce live and work abroad in UK, Germany, and other European countries. They come back to hold their weddings because their families are here. So these people search on Google and will find us on the first page. Our main competitors do not manage their websites, because they are long established locally, and they are normally the first choice for local residents. So, locals do not search on google, they know which photographers to go to directly.

sonny_1080

Creating a tool I want to use.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Oct 30, 2019
Los Angeles
Learn best by doing. You want to learn to do something… find someone you can ask “hey can I try to do this for you?” Find something you can help someone with, right now. Andy found what people are searching for and then built a website around the already existing need.

"Small business that sells blue widgets… reach out to and say hey, 'I’ve done research and more people are looking for red widgets, can I run a digital marketing campaign to help you sell more red widgets?'" - @Andy Black

This whole idea of a stay-at home economy got me thinking... the home-services business will probably do well. I can google search what people are searching for most in the home-services business and reach out to companies in that space. While I finish this Udemy digital marketing course I can see if I can try to increase their online presence? One of my Dad's friends owns a plumbing company... he might be open to it.

Google GAME:
The best visitors to a website are those that are looking to buy right now. Those are the people that search -> best plumbers northridge -> takeaway: add a location to a service for most qualified prospects in your ad

Google keyword planner -> create ad in google adwords, put in credit card info, immediately delete ad so they aren’t charging you anything, access googles keyword planner
  • see related searches, target just "northridge". how many people in northridge are typing in 'x' searching for this -> the results = your ideal visitor
  • get that data and type it into google yourself
  • 4x more people will type in "electrician northridge" rather than “northridge electrician”
  • look at ads -> more local = more better -> opportunity to create an ad people will click on because the competition is narrowed down to just "northridge"
  • more specific ad = better -> FOLLOWED by specifically correlated landing page
    • Example: ad = “tax attorney northridge” -> landing page = “Are you looking for a tax attorney in northridge?”
Put yourself in the shoes of the person who is searching for you.
Give them what they are looking for.
Stop talking about yourself, help them find what they are looking for, and give it to them.

Repeat business + referrals = profit (MJ translation -> productocracy)

Politeness. Mind your manners.
I’m already assuming you can get the job done. I’m satisfied if you showed up on time, got the job done, had basic manners, and maybe added a little extra.
Its not even a matter of price.

All about putting yourself in other people’s shoes and helping them get what they want for themselves.

(Paraphrased): Never worry about numbers. Help people. Start with the person nearest you.

Just help people without expecting anything in return. If you start getting referred, then you got a business. No business card, no business name, no business logo or design.

Business is all about creating relationships with people. 60% of business (I came up with that number) is showing up on time and just getting the job done.

You’ve experienced problems and frustrations -> if you’ve gotten through them -> you can help others through it. @Andy Black says help people for free expecting nothing in return, it will create an imbalance somewhere in the universe and you’ll get it back later.

GIVE THANKS.

You're not a salesperson, you just help people.

SEE people as people.

The trick is to get started and keep going. Don’t go blank.

You've collected stories and experience -> use it to help people, share the story -> repeat

You have enough ideas. Pick top 3.

Its not about you or you’re product… its not even about what people need… Its about what people WANT.

Stop trying to generate demand -> FULFILL existing demand instead -> Put your basket under the tree and let apples fall into it -> Google AdWords

If you CANNOT get a customer you DON'T have a business. You have a HOBBY.

It’s not about you.

Thank you again @Andy Black

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I like the title you got for it on soundcloud.

"How to Quickly Get Started in Business"
Ha. I forgot that my mod privileges mean I can go back and change titles of old threads.

Title changed, because someone bumped it and I had no idea what the thread was about.

Leecha14

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Jul 29, 2019
I did a radio interview this morning. It goes out somewhere in Dublin on Friday 03-Jun-2016.

> Click here to access the recording <

Andy that was a great interview and I thought your tips and advice was bang on. Once my product is live I will be definitely investing in ad words and it's true, many people don't research enough to know if a product solves a problem to the masses, they just think it's a great idea but as you said, if you don't have a customer you have a hobby. I think it's always wise to focus on solutions not numbers, if you are just driven by money then you're way off and in trouble. It was a good listen, thanks.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Learn best by doing. You want to learn to do something… find someone you can ask “hey can I try to do this for you?” Find something you can help someone with, right now. Andy found what people are searching for and then built a website around the already existing need.

"Small business that sells blue widgets… reach out to and say hey, 'I’ve done research and more people are looking for red widgets, can I run a digital marketing campaign to help you sell more red widgets?'" - @Andy Black

This whole idea of a stay-at home economy got me thinking... the home-services business will probably do well. I can google search what people are searching for most in the home-services business and reach out to companies in that space. While I finish this Udemy digital marketing course I can see if I can try to increase their online presence? One of my Dad's friends owns a plumbing company... he might be open to it.

Google GAME:
The best visitors to a website are those that are looking to buy right now. Those are the people that search -> best plumbers northridge -> takeaway: add a location to a service for most qualified prospects in your ad

Google keyword planner -> create ad in google adwords, put in credit card info, immediately delete ad so they aren’t charging you anything, access googles keyword planner
  • see related searches, target just "northridge". how many people in northridge are typing in 'x' searching for this -> the results = your ideal visitor
  • get that data and type it into google yourself
  • 4x more people will type in "electrician northridge" rather than “northridge electrician”
  • look at ads -> more local = more better -> opportunity to create an ad people will click on because the competition is narrowed down to just "northridge"
  • more specific ad = better -> FOLLOWED by specifically correlated landing page
    • Example: ad = “tax attorney northridge” -> landing page = “Are you looking for a tax attorney in northridge?”
Put yourself in the shoes of the person who is searching for you.
Give them what they are looking for.
Stop talking about yourself, help them find what they are looking for, and give it to them.

Repeat business + referrals = profit (MJ translation -> productocracy)

Politeness. Mind your manners.
I’m already assuming you can get the job done. I’m satisfied if you showed up on time, got the job done, had basic manners, and maybe added a little extra.
Its not even a matter of price.

All about putting yourself in other people’s shoes and helping them get what they want for themselves.

(Paraphrased): Never worry about numbers. Help people. Start with the person nearest you.

Just help people without expecting anything in return. If you start getting referred, then you got a business. No business card, no business name, no business logo or design.

Business is all about creating relationships with people. 60% of business (I came up with that number) is showing up on time and just getting the job done.

You’ve experienced problems and frustrations -> if you’ve gotten through them -> you can help others through it. @Andy Black says help people for free expecting nothing in return, it will create an imbalance somewhere in the universe and you’ll get it back later.

GIVE THANKS.

You're not a salesperson, you just help people.

SEE people as people.

The trick is to get started and keep going. Don’t go blank.

You've collected stories and experience -> use it to help people, share the story -> repeat

You have enough ideas. Pick top 3.

Its not about you or you’re product… its not even about what people need… Its about what people WANT.

Stop trying to generate demand -> FULFILL existing demand instead -> Put your basket under the tree and let apples fall into it -> Google AdWords

If you CANNOT get a customer you DON'T have a business. You have a HOBBY.

It’s not about you.

Thank you again @Andy Black

Andy that was a great interview and I thought your tips and advice was bang on. Once my product is live I will be definitely investing in ad words and it's true, many people don't research enough to know if a product solves a problem to the masses, they just think it's a great idea but as you said, if you don't have a customer you have a hobby. I think it's always wise to focus on solutions not numbers, if you are just driven by money then you're way off and in trouble. It was a good listen, thanks.
Wow. Amazing writeups / summaries @sonny_1080 and @Leecha14. Thank you for listening and for your notes.

Menery

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Sep 22, 2019
That's why he doesn't really like to do photo shoots for neighbours or friends of friends. He either is willing to do free shoots for his close friends, or he charges his price to customers. He probably wouldn't say no to requests for non-wedding events if the time and pay are okay, but he promotes himself more in the wedding photographer direction.

Our ideal clients are people who actually use Google to search for photographers in areas that we cover. It's a special phenomenon in our country that a large population of young workforce live and work abroad in UK, Germany, and other European countries. They come back to hold their weddings because their families are here. So these people search on Google and will find us on the first page. Our main competitors do not manage their websites, because they are long established locally, and they are normally the first choice for local residents. So, locals do not search on google, they know which photographers to go to directly.

I do SEO for local businesses and happen to have a cousin who used to make bank as a wedding photographer ( Now transitioned to more to big corporate clients) and let me tell you one thing. Wedding photography is a business that's 90% based on referrals like other people pointed out already. Its not an urgent service that people need ASAP like a locksmith where they just call #1 on Google.

Pooven

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
233%
Jan 6, 2014
Australia

Hi Andy, just joined the forum recently. Watched your radio interview from about 4 years ago and it was of great value to me. Thanks for sharing!

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Hi Andy, just joined the forum recently. Watched your radio interview from about 4 years ago and it was of great value to me. Thanks for sharing!
That’s great. Thanks for listening and for your feedback @Pooven.

I’m curious what your main takeaways are, and what you’d do differently going forward.

Pooven

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
233%
Jan 6, 2014
Australia
That’s great. Thanks for listening and for your feedback @Pooven.

I’m curious what your main takeaways are, and what you’d do differently going forward.
For me it was the simplicity and logical approach that you applied to starting your business, on how to find market needs (also the Google Adword tool), the concept of low hanging fruit and using the "how can I help you" approach. And also using good mannerisms...simple steps to build a good rapport with customer (or potential customer).

Flint

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
193%
Jul 14, 2020
Great interview, Andy. From genuinely wanting to help and solving one person's problem to a wealth of experience and meaningful relationships. Hat tip.

My key takeaway: discovery of a need (and then a solution) starts with little acts of kindness that compound over time and refine/enrich you in the process.

You've got a follower.

Jaco

Prioritize and execute
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Feb 20, 2020
Hong Kong

Andy, I really enjoyed and learned from episode 1, thank you! Will listen to second interview tonight. Thanks for helping people. It’s admirable, and an example to follow.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Andy, I really enjoyed and learned from episode 1, thank you! Will listen to second interview tonight. Thanks for helping people. It’s admirable, and an example to follow.
Thanks for listening and the feedback. Curious if you got to listen to the second radio interview and what you're takeaways were.

Jaco

Prioritize and execute
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Feb 20, 2020
Hong Kong
Hi Andy, I really loved the second interview, perhaps even more than the first. It made me feel that I may have headed down the wrong path, but only time will tell. You see, I'm rolling out my first Amazon FBA product in literally 2 weeks. Ecommerce is a completely new area for me, and I did indeed buy a course and apply a particular methodology. It's actually been a really enjoyable learning curve, and I'm quite proud of what I've built so far, but of course, the proof will be in getting customers - as you say in the interview. My wife thinks I'm nuts to have dedicated so much time to something I know nothing about, especially as I have a good job with unusually high pay. But it's my dream to ditch the corporate life and find a better balance, and I've always had a strong bent toward entrepreneurship. I mulled over the 'grow what you know' idea, but couldn't seem to come up with anything that relates to my professional skillset that would both take me out of the corporate world and really use what I know. I'm months into this plan now, and excited to see how it goes, as well as enjoy the continue learning.

And how about you? How is your consulting business going?

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Hi Andy, I really loved the second interview, perhaps even more than the first. It made me feel that I may have headed down the wrong path, but only time will tell. You see, I'm rolling out my first Amazon FBA product in literally 2 weeks. Ecommerce is a completely new area for me, and I did indeed buy a course and apply a particular methodology. It's actually been a really enjoyable learning curve, and I'm quite proud of what I've built so far, but of course, the proof will be in getting customers - as you say in the interview. My wife thinks I'm nuts to have dedicated so much time to something I know nothing about, especially as I have a good job with unusually high pay. But it's my dream to ditch the corporate life and find a better balance, and I've always had a strong bent toward entrepreneurship. I mulled over the 'grow what you know' idea, but couldn't seem to come up with anything that relates to my professional skillset that would both take me out of the corporate world and really use what I know. I'm months into this plan now, and excited to see how it goes, as well as enjoy the continue learning.

Thanks for your feedback. Interesting that you might have liked this interview more than the first.

I wasn’t meaning people *should* grow what they know, I was just pointing out that the grass might be greener exactly where people stand, but they often don’t notice. And that we’re often unaware of our superpowers because it comes naturally to us.

The beauty of business is that the market doesn’t pay for our background or experience, just the value we deliver.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Thanks for asking.

I embraced being a consultant and a hired gun. I enjoy it. I’m setting things up where I record look-over-my-shoulder videos as I do the work and people can subscribe to follow along and learn. Seems a nice way of selling the sawdust as well as the timber.

I’ve no interest in building an agency and hiring other Google Ads guys.

Jaco

Prioritize and execute
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Feb 20, 2020
Hong Kong
Thanks for asking.

I embraced being a consultant and a hired gun. I enjoy it. I’m setting things up where I record look-over-my-shoulder videos as I do the work and people can subscribe to follow along and learn. Seems a nice way of selling the sawdust as well as the timber.

I’ve no interest in building man agency and hiring other Google Ads guys.
Thanks for asking.

I’ve no interest in building man agency and hiring other Google Ads guys.

Jaco

Prioritize and execute
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Feb 20, 2020
Hong Kong
I’d be very keen to subscribe for myself and my 13-year old son who recently launched an affiliate linked blog. He is trying to get his head around AHrefs and the keyword zoo on YouTube. I think he would really benefit from a structured approach or program. Could you let us know when you launch that? I am personally following a course for FBA by Dan Vas (who was once in this forum) and its excellent, extremely detailed. That’s my night job, and my products hit amazon warehouses in a week or so. The event horizon is near. Excited and a bit nervous.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I’d be very keen to subscribe for myself and my 13-year old son who recently launched an affiliate linked blog. He is trying to get his head around AHrefs and the keyword zoo on YouTube. I think he would really benefit from a structured approach or program. Could you let us know when you launch that? I am personally following a course for FBA by Dan Vas (who was once in this forum) and its excellent, extremely detailed. That’s my night job, and my products hit amazon warehouses in a week or so. The event horizon is near. Excited and a bit nervous.
He’s starting at age 13?!? Good for him.

I have this programme at the moment:

Jaco

Prioritize and execute
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Feb 20, 2020
Hong Kong
He's watched half of the first 90 minute video, I have not had a chance, but will get to it this weekend hopefully. Thanks Andy

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.