The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The Big Idea with Donnie Deutsch

Idea threads

yveskleinsky

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Jul 26, 2007
I stumbled across this show about a month ago, and I friggin love it. To all the other budding entrepreneurs this show is so inspirational. Donnie features people who have started businesses or developed inventions that have sky rocketed their net worth. What I find so inspirational is that a lot of these ideas don't seem like they would be profitable, let alone high net worth worthy. Seeing these people's stories really helps to expand your horizons of what is possible, and how much capital you don't need to get going!

For example, Donnie had a guy on who franchised a sign spinning business. This guy started out a sign holder. Talk about dead end job- and no real job security (you can be replaced by a stick in the ground!). So this guy (out of boredom) started teaching himself tricks with his sign- spinning it, posing with it, etc. just to get the driver's attention. Fast forward a couple of years, he's taught numerous other guys his tricks and now he's a millionaire. Go sign dude! :banana:

Just FYI- check it out when you can - airs on CNBC around 8:30pm MST.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Yankees338

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jul 24, 2007
NJ/MD
I watch this a lot. It's on Monday-Friday at 10PM EST. Very good show. I like Deutsch a lot; he's a very good host IMO.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Love the show too ... in fact, a guy here owns one of those sign spinning businesses (Yashar!) ... many things can be marketed and invented, only a few take the ball and run with it.

Diane Kennedy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Aug 31, 2007
I may be the only person on the forum who would even care, but his sister is Ronnie Deutsch who advertises about settling IRS debt for pennies on the dollar.

Donnie Deutsch started out in advertising and he's brilliant at helping others use it smartly - I think that's what he did for his sis as well.

Ausable

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Nov 12, 2007
Des Moines
I really didn't care for the show in its original incarnation (just interviewing celebs and athletes). But now that he has switched to the "Roadmap to the American Dream" format, I really like the show and the direction it is headed.

howard_two

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Apr 16, 2008
This show is my RedBull and boost of motivation and inspiration. Everytime I feel down or slacking of, one show and the fire is lit up again. Watching hundreds of people working towards their goal just gets you going...

rep +++ to yves.

Hey I am gonna use this icon because it looks funny and I've never used it. :frocket:

Yankees338

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jul 24, 2007
NJ/MD
I really wish I started using my Tivo again so I could set up a Season Pass for this show. My TV broke and I haven't re-setup my Tivo on another TV in the house, but I actually may for this reason alone (and I miss House).

mtnman

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
28%
Oct 3, 2007
I really wish I started using my Tivo again so I could set up a Season Pass for this show. My TV broke and I haven't re-setup my Tivo on another TV in the house, but I actually may for this reason alone (and I miss House).

A few weeks of no House and you'll forget about it! You don't need tv, get to work! lol

CMCarlin

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jan 30, 2008
I enjoy the premise behind the show but sometimes Donnie annoys me. I love the concept and the guest hosts, but Donnie can be too... 'fluffly'? for me? I don't know, it's still a great show and theres nothing like it AFAIK.

Yankees338

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jul 24, 2007
NJ/MD

A few weeks of no House and you'll forget about it! You don't need tv, get to work! lol
Haha...I really don't watch much TV at all anymore, aside from sports. I have a lot of free time now, though, so maybe I'll be able to fit it in.

Jito

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Dec 2, 2007
Bay Area
I really like idea behind the show, however the actually episodes are hit or miss. I could do without the celebrities. But the "everyday" entrepreneurs are quite an inspiration.

djs13

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Oct 3, 2007
NY
I like the show, but some parts aren't accurate. One episode they had a bunch of products reviewed by potential consumers in an area and the people rated the products how well they would do. What the show doesn't understand is that it isn't about the big "idea" all the time. The guy who made vodka using colored labels made a fortune, but he didn't create vodka himself. I also don't think that just developing a creative/new idea is enough to become successful. And finally, being innovative doesn't necessarily mean creating a belt that is a flash light. I think Richard Branson is the most innovative entrepreneur ever, and every one of his ventures was already existent - he just made it easier/more affordable/more marketable than his competitors.

Merkin Man

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Jul 25, 2007
Williamsville, NY
I will still watch the show when I get the chance to, but I became a bit turned off with the direction of the show when he started interviewing "famous" people, and in particular, famous people's kids rather than the people that started their successes from the ground up.

Tori Spelling, the Trump kids - just to name a few. While I admire them for how they have managed to build their brands, it doesn't hit home so much when they try to give advice on how to build businesses out of nothing.

The other thing that turned me off a little bit was the show's insistence on doing interviews with actors from NBC and NBC affiliate (read: Bravo) programming. Too much schilling in my opinion.

To me, the Big Idea is best served focusing on the little guy who turns a "big idea" into a big success.

Yankees338

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jul 24, 2007
NJ/MD
I will still watch the show when I get the chance to, but I became a bit turned off with the direction of the show when he started interviewing "famous" people, and in particular, famous people's kids rather than the people that started their successes from the ground up.

Tori Spelling, the Trump kids - just to name a few. While I admire them for how they have managed to build their brands, it doesn't hit home so much when they try to give advice on how to build businesses out of nothing.

The other thing that turned me off a little bit was the show's insistence on doing interviews with actors from NBC and NBC affiliate (read: Bravo) programming. Too much schilling in my opinion.

To me, the Big Idea is best served focusing on the little guy who turns a "big idea" into a big success.
Agreed. I still watch it when I can, but the rags-to-riches stories are much more inspirational and make for a better show, IMO.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.