The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The 5'oclock Shitshow. Or 11'oclock if you prefer

Choate

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
242%
Mar 25, 2014
Boston
Title may be offensive but I'm offended myself.

How can anyone watch the news?

This guy died, there was a fire over in that town, construction fell apart, shooting on the other side of the state with 2 dead, major storms taking over parts of the country, the moon had an earthquake, the Bundestag in Germany fell over, kangaroos forgot how to hop...

If these people aren't fear mongering the general population, they are wasting their time with meaningless stories.

If people haven't been brainwashed for decades, this business model wouldn't even be existent. I have a weather app on my desktop and phone and that's all I need.

Sure, a lot of unfortunate stuff happens and it may even hit close to home. But at what point does it really matter? If there was a fire 3 towns away on a street you've never visited, how is that different than a fire 1200 miles away? At the core, its not.

Focus. That's what the sidewalkers lack.

People tend to think they are individual entities but its better to think of yourself as a sponge. You absorb everything and become what you absorb.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
That's why I turn everything off! :)

randomnumber314

speed of a drunk camel
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
227%
Jan 7, 2014
Minnesoooota,USA
I have in-laws that think they're in a John Wayne movie, want things to go "back to how the use to be." Both work 9-5 jobs, never miss the news at night. All they do is listen to right wing talk radio during the day, complain about the news at night. When someone has money they get offended because "they show it off."

In other words, they spend too much time blaming and complaining, when they should be getting off their butts and making their own life better.

Blhhi

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
152%
Jun 23, 2014
Every so often, when I'm by my grandmother's house, I'll stop and watch the news for a few minutes with her. I only watch for a few minutes because I can only stand a few minutes. Every 30 - 60 seconds, the camera pans over to a different newscaster with a different story. It might be some insane tragedy, some funny situation, some interesting story, or some meaningless rumor. It's not the content, but the nature that bothers me. As I watch it, I can somehow feel my attention span corroding. It's like when you eat a really greasy meal and you can almost feel yourself getting fatter, your arteries hardening. I sincerely consider watching the news to be as bad for you as smoking or drinking.

Last edited:

Mike Kavanagh

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Aug 17, 2013
a lot of unfortunate stuff happens and it may even hit close to home.
If it's really close, do you think you'd be watching the news about it.

The quote of misery loving company is what I liken the news to. Death this, murder that.

During 9/11 and the bio-terror scares, I wouldn't let the news be on in the house.
It scared the shit out of my older sister to the point she would call my mom's phone till she picked up.
Not that the news didn't scare my mother too. Plastic over the windows in a trailer is going to be real effective lol...

Of course my sister and I were 12 & 10 respectively. It's easy to scare children of that age.

Just turn the TV off. What you don't know can't scare you.

Stubbers

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
104%
Feb 27, 2014
Borington, Ontario
Good rant! I always wondered why there was no happy news, I guess they determined doom gets more views!

I hardly watch the weather as they get it wrong and still keep their job. One of the best things I saw was a weathers stone, a stone on some rope with a sign behind it - if I'm wet, it's raining - If I'm swinging, it's windy - if I'm white, it's snowy - if you cannot see me, it's foggy etc!

As for the daily papers, do,they really have time to research the stories they write?

wilddog

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
182%
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto
My wife and I call the news, FearTV, and we refuse to watch it. Although we barely watch tv as it is.
The only news I stay on top of is in the financial world, and even then it's a potpourri of "Company X's product, will it fail?" and "Another recession to hit soon?".....

Bigguns50

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Feb 12, 2013
Sedona, AZ
My Wife and I refuse to have cable. An occasional movie on Netflix or Vudu.

Sales people push cable everywhere now...even Menards. Guy comes up to me and asks "Which cable company do you have ?" Laughing (because I've been approached so many times), I said with my hands on my head, "No, no, no....No cable. Just internet. Thank you anyway."

Big News(big corp) is big business and they're damn good at it.

Pick the news you want and read about it.

MoneyDoc

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
273%
Jun 24, 2014
I'm 20 and I haven't watched TV in about a year now. It was a big waste of time for me... Now all I focus on is my studies and my businesses.

One of my favorite ads;

Attachments

• uPwxyGk.jpg
    uPwxyGk.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 38

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
What is going on in your town and why YOU may be in danger..... Story at ten...

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

Mike Kavanagh

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Aug 17, 2013
What is going on in your town and why YOU may be in danger..... Story at ten...
This or "Shooting/Robbery/Carjacking/50 Car pile up, happened in your neighborhood this evening. See our full coverage report @10."

Drama sells.

Phantom309

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Feb 23, 2010
Panama City,FL
This or "Shooting/Robbery/Carjacking/50 Car pile up, happened in your neighborhood this evening. See our full coverage report @10."

Drama sells.

and some hollywood star we don't give a shit about just worse pasties to a party. tune in @10

Excellent rant, everytime I hear the news I want to put my foot through my tv, but then I'd have to buy another one.

Lauryn

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Jul 11, 2013
Dallas, TX
I stopped watching the news too much and shut down my Facebook today because it was nothing but more people talking about the news, especially regarding a certain athlete and his wife. I'm just over it. Gets me nowhere.

Mike Kavanagh

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Aug 17, 2013
shut down my Facebook today because it was nothing but more people talking about the news, especially regarding a certain athlete and his wife.
Hahaha I feel you. I shit you not, I live like 30 minutes from his house here in Baltimore.

But there is a lesson to learn from this incident.
You have no control over your destiny when you are a high paid entertainer. Not saying what he did was right, I'm one of the people who's glad he's done for.

As a entrepreneur you can somewhat obscure your life to the public.

D

DeletedUser394

I find geopolitical issues/world news fascinating and keep relatively well informed from day to day about the big things happening in the world. Guess I'm weird.

Celebrity tabloids/rags/local news/CNN can't really be lumped in with the likes of The Economist for example.

Lauryn

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Jul 11, 2013
Dallas, TX
Hahaha I feel you. I shit you not, I live like 30 minutes from his house here in Baltimore.
But there is a lesson to learn from this incident.
You have no control over your destiny when you are a high paid entertainer. Not saying what he did was right, I'm one of the people who's glad he's done for.

That is so true!

Bigguns50

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Feb 12, 2013
Sedona, AZ
@RichKid is a weirdo :wacky: ....who knew ? LOL.

I also like to keep up on some news...but I try not to get too involved and spend too much time reading. Lot's of interesting things happening for sure.

Marc B.

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
204%
Sep 23, 2012
Oklahoma
How can anyone watch the news?
I couldn't have said it any better! My sentiments exactly: same stories, different day. It's one of the reasons I stopped listening to terrestrial radio, too. Living on the east coast, I keep an eye out for severe weather alerts, but as you said: there's an app for that!
Flood waters coming my way? :smuggy:
Feeling good about not buying that other house? ;)

NicoleMarie

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
85%
May 1, 2014
Wisconsin, USA

Drama sells.

Don't forget the part where you actually watch the "big thing of the day" and it's #1: at the very end and #2: ends up being lame. More proof the news is just for ratings. :p

CreateLiving

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Aug 27, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Don't forget the part where you actually watch the "big thing of the day" and it's #1: at the very end and #2: ends up being lame. More proof the news is just for ratings. :p
You are right it's always: "Stay tuned for the biggest breaking news story of the week!" and then it just....never comes, and your left watching news about old people getting assaulted in a Wal-Mart parking lot for an hour. /rant

GreedyBGoode

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
192%
Jul 7, 2014
UK
opportunities here people

2 news channel, 1 free 1 premium

free channel - only depressing news
premium channel - only happy, inspiring news. once people are sick of the overload of depressing news they receive, they are happy to pry open their wallets for valuable uplifting news!

i'm sure it exist in some form on all news channels/blogs/sites but probably not as honest about what it is.

...please forgive my random musings

Dropout

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Nov 27, 2013
Copenhagen, Denmark
WORD. That's why I haven't followed the news in TV, newspapers or radio for several years.
No wonder people are surprised how happy I am, if they constantly bombard themselves with bullshit.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.