The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The 2017 Journey To Self Disciplined Entrepreneurship

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...
G

GuestUserX09

So, somewhere around this forum in the last 2 years are two forgotten progress threads where I became impatient and sold out of my businesses more pre-maturely than you can imagine..

A quick recap is, I've always been quick to act on an idea but execution started red hot and over a few short months became pretty much non-existent. A lot of side income has been made but it was always very inconsistent, sometimes grey hat, and always short lived. End recap.

The idea for me is that I could probably do something pretty amazing if able to give a consistent effort that maintains regardless of the day/weeks results. $0 this week, stay on it. $1,000 this week, stay on it. I am seeking consistency and discipline.

So preface: I have a day job that I actually like very much but I'd like to be able to consistently match that same income with a new business within a year or two. Purely out of the journey to self-disciplined entrepreneurship- and some wiggle room to not get so banged up by my lifestyle consumerism.

For anyone curious though, my decade stretch goal is to work but by mostly complete choice or when and how many hours I'd like and to also be closing in on 7 figures yearly and be an active philanthropist.

So strategy is: I've just signed an questionably budgeted lease at a nice apartment in the city and requested the quietest unit with no neighbors. It is also close to my day job so I can work longer hours there in exchange of avoiding traffic. (Remember, the day job is a potentially very lucrative source for me so it actually getting priority). I will be setting up a home office and am aiming to work from around 7pm-1am every weekday, and most of the day on weekends. This gives me about 30-40 hours to dedicate to this side business every week, along with 45-55 hours to my day job.

What is it? Similar to one business in the past, I am doing categorized but random online stuff. Through an LLC, my business produces websites, brand imaging, copywriting, social media management, marketing consultation. My best interest is to have all clients on monthly contracts- so far I have 1 client on a 6 month contract and another who has recently just agreed to a 6 month contract as well (however, his first month payment is late)

Any problems? Well pretty much, these two clients plus whoever comes next will pretty much use up my entire spare 30-40 hours that I have for the week, and I will be only half of my income goal, so kind of bottle-necked there. I think the plan will be to switch up for higher paying clients.

So, sounds cool and all but I've had businesses and clients in the past and totally blown it for one reason or another. The common denominator is that I either lost the effort or didn't stay disciplined to a plan. So this progress thread will update about once in a while with the week/month progress. It is also something I'm looking forward to reading back on myself. So cheers to a 2017 of focused and disciplined entrepreneurship.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited by a moderator:

Mr.Chaos

Wolves love Ice Cream.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
296%
Mar 16, 2016
Atlanta
So, somewhere around this forum in the last 2 years are two forgotten progress threads where I became impatient and sold out of my businesses more pre-maturely than you can imagine..

A quick recap is, I've always been quick to act on an idea but execution started red hot and over a few short months became pretty much non-existent. A lot of side income has been made but it was always very inconsistent, sometimes grey hat, and always short lived. End recap.

The idea for me is that I could probably do something pretty amazing if able to give a consistent effort that maintains regardless of the day/weeks results. $0 this week, stay on it. $1,000 this week, stay on it. I am seeking consistency and discipline.

So preface: I have a day job that I actually like very much but I'd like to be able to consistently match that same income with a new business within a year or two. Purely out of the journey to self-disciplined entrepreneurship- and some wiggle room to not get so banged up by my lifestyle consumerism.

For anyone curious though, my decade stretch goal is to work but by mostly complete choice or when and how many hours I'd like and to also be closing in on 7 figures yearly and be an active philanthropist.

So strategy is: I've just signed an questionably budgeted lease at a nice apartment in the city and requested the quietest unit with no neighbors. It is also close to my day job so I can work longer hours there in exchange of avoiding traffic. (Remember, the day job is a potentially very lucrative source for me so it actually getting priority). I will be setting up a home office and am aiming to work from around 7pm-1am every weekday, and most of the day on weekends. This gives me about 30-40 hours to dedicate to this side business every week, along with 45-55 hours to my day job.

What is it? Similar to one business in the past, I am doing categorized but random online stuff. Through an LLC, my business produces websites, brand imaging, copywriting, social media management, marketing consultation. My best interest is to have all clients on monthly contracts- so far I have 1 client on a 6 month contract and another who has recently just agreed to a 6 month contract as well (however, his first month payment is late)

Any problems? Well pretty much, these two clients plus whoever comes next will pretty much use up my entire spare 30-40 hours that I have for the week, and I will be only half of my income goal, so kind of bottle-necked there. I think the plan will be to switch up for higher paying clients.

So, sounds cool and all but I've had businesses and clients in the past and totally blown it for one reason or another. The common denominator is that I either lost the effort or didn't stay disciplined to a plan. So this progress thread will update about once in a while with the week/month progress. It is also something I'm looking forward to reading back on myself. So cheers to a 2017 of focused and disciplined entrepreneurship.

Awesome man! That day job is the water to your fastlane seeds.

Last edited:
G

GuestUserX09

Update-

- The one client one has promised payment has sent a very re-assuring email that payment is coming momentarily (not the first)
- The current client isn't too happy, as I have definitely been under-performing by about 35% I'd say, I have plans to make for it and some
- Work/Side-Hustle balance is fine for now, very dense schedule but it works.
- I ditched the fancy apartment actually and I am room-mating for maybe 6 months so I have more cash on hand in case I need it.
- Had one new client ready to go and was requesting an invoice in the same day and we switched his package last second by his request and I think I confused/lost him when I sent the second revised agreement and invoice.

I am going to start using metrics to measure my progress, I'd like to:
- Make (8+) organic cold contacts per day
- Introduce (1+) medium-level prospect into the pipeline per day
- Do 30 minutes+ in taking care of current clients

Questions for someone who may know- I find myself thinking I am neglecting my current client because I am very focused on bringing in new clients as well. Where would your percentage of time/focus be at? The current client or filling up the pipeline with new clients?

@Mr.Chaos Yes, and minus the apartment, there is plenty of water for the seeds, just need to stay persistent

G

GuestUserX09

Update

- I sent out several agreements and invoices. Currently one client has accepted and paid.
- The problem seems that I have no problem "getting them to yes" but after its time to pay I am getting flakes.

I've found some better marketing outlets and am able to reach 5x the amount of potential clients per day now, it is a new outlet that I've started using so I haven't been able to calculate the results of this yet. I am also intending to systemize my work for the current client and future ones so that I will be able to manage the workload better with my contracted team.

But yes, seriously- I have 5+ invoices in limbo right now. Any follow up techniques?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
G

GuestUserX09

2 paying clients now, they both pay for multiple services on a monthly basis. They are probably 8/10 on the satisfaction scale at the moment. I have invested one clients payments into a VA who is able to provide assistance that lets me easily manage both clients. Possibly up to 5 at a time without breaking much of a sweat.

I have more time to invest into client acquisition now, so I'm happily doing that for now.

G

GuestUserX09

Recent update- I've decided to put my money where my mouth is. I've distributed cash to advisors, contractors and help for people who specialize in certain areas of this business. It's been wildly helpful, like I've skipped months of learning. Now, I'll be directing my time towards marketing and bringing on new clients. Basically, my cut rate team has been upgraded to superstars and so far it's worth every penny.

The company is operating at a profit for the two months of operation but there are definitely some heavy expenses now but at exchange I feel much more confident in providing specialized services to my clients.

To be continued

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.