The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The 12 Bad Habits that Hold Good People Back

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
I am currently reading this book:

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Habits-That-Hold-Good-People/dp/0385498500"]Amazon.com: The 12 Bad Habits That Hold Good People Back: Overcoming the Behavior Patterns That Keep You From Getting Ahead: James Phd Waldroop,Timothy Phd Butler: Books[/ame]

The book tries to analyze different personality flaws that hold people back from succeeding. I have completed the first 3 chapters and I can already see myself in some of these. The book also offers strategies for overcoming your flaws or managing a person with the flaws. Very informative so far.

The 12 bad habit chapter titles:
Never Feeling Good Enough(sometimes me)
Seeing the World in Black and White(frequently my problem)
Doing Too Much, Pushing Too Hard(not me)
Avoiding Conflict at Any Cost
Running Roughshod over the Opposition
Rebel Looking for a Cause
Always Swinging for the Fence
When Fear is in the Driver's Seat
Emotionally Tone Deaf
When No Job is Good Enough
Lacking a Sense of Boundaries
Losing the Path

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

kurtyordy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Aug 28, 2007
PA
I have not read the book, but those two chapters would not have to be contrary to the forum
a)always swinging for the fences- sometimes I hold investments hoping for the homerun, when I already have a good return. Sometimes this ends up with a loss. I often have trouble taking less profit than I had hoped and moving on to my next investment.

b)I read this not as job=vocation, but job=task, meaning being a perfectionist (which if you read my posts and see my spelling, you know this is not me). But perfectionism can cripple people in progress.

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I've read enough personal and professional development books to tell you guys that you ALWAYS have to separate the wheat from the chaff with these books.

Lots of great, usable insight surrounded with fluffy (at best) or bullshit (at worst) filler.

One book I found tremendously helpful when I was at a very low place was "What to Say When You Talk to Yourself". The book's title is embarrassing in and of itself and is filled to the brim with "I can do it!" fluffy garbage but the insights into personal dialogue are incredibly valid and useful.

Never treat a book like a bible. I've yet to read anything in my life that I didn't find something I differed on opinion with. If I can take away just 1% of something new and positive though, haven't I've still learned something? Perhaps I didn't learn it very efficiently, perhaps it wasn't life changing, but it was new and in the right direction so I can live with that.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.