The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The 10x Rule by Grant Cardone - Crazy or Brilliant?

For any book discussion

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
620%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
I recently finished listening to The 10x Rule by Grant Cardone audio book. I like his passion and drive, but his advice almost seems reckless to me. He suggests to just take action and worry about the details later. While I agree that taking action is a good thing, it seems like lack of some amount of planning could be a complete detriment. He gives a couple of examples where he took action on a opportunity not knowing what he was doing with the intention of figuring it out along the way. He then proceeds to explain how it all worked out in a way that makes it sound more like luck than skill. It seems like someone with less experience could potentially burn a lot of bridges by making commitments that they can't figure out how to make work and eventually lose credibility, or worse, going bankrupt.

On the other hand, if one were to take the level of action that he is describing, they probably could figure it out along the way. Maybe my thinking is just so far south from what he's describing that I can't wrap my head around it.

What are your guys' thoughts on this? I'd really like to hear from those that have some real successes under their belt (MJ) on whether you think this guys approach is crazy, genius, or somewhere in between.

Yes that’s exactly what you should do. Make promises you have no idea how to keep and then figure it out as you go along.

The only time I don’t recommend this is when someone’s physical safety is at stake. For example I would be a terrible doctor. But in business it’s perfect. Maybe you’ll piss off like 2 people, chalk it up to the cost of ambition and move along. It’ll work out better than you think.

Everyone thinks I’m an expert at lawn care and we sell our services at a premium price. Man, I’m up at night searching how to trim rose bushes and how to kill moss. I’m no expert. I just signed up the customers and said I’d figure it out later. Nobody has tried to cancel yet. One time in a hundred you’ll screw up but just don’t take it personal when you get yelled at. Just smile and move on and learn your lesson. It’ll take lots of lessons to become an expert but I’ll be damned if I’m gonna wait that long to make money. Go test things out on customers.

The biggest thing holding people back is they’re pussies. Period.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

The Abundant Man

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jul 3, 2018
The whole "10x" thing is just a motivational tool. "You need to 10x your goals, 10x your sales, 10x your life.

It's like a platoon leader giving some gung-ho rah-rah motivation before going out on a mission and at the end all the marines yell out "OOO-RAH!"

Now Grant Cardone has turned "10x" into a brand. It's become a fantastic marketing tool for him.

I'd also say it's far better to take action and worry about the details later then to get stuck in analysis paralysis and action fake.

Thiago Machado

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
May 20, 2014
Honestly, I don't like it...

First off, it's common sense.

If you 10x your actions and the law of averages work in your favor - you'll get more results.

The problem with 10x though, is that I think it can make most people feel anxious and depressed.

Here's why...

When you're starting at the bottom and shooting for the moon - the first couple of weeks following his stuff might feel great!

"Yeah, I'm going to make $1,000,000 this year and buy a lamborghini!"

But after a while - you start noticing that you're not anywhere near your goal...

Suddenly that Lamborghini seems pretty far away and you're not on track to hit your target.

So you start to question yourself and whether you're really cut out for this whole "entrepreneurship thing"

In my opinion, Grant Cardone misses 2 very important aspects: clarity and creating good habits.

In terms of clarity - how can you possibly achieve a 10x goal if you don't know the actions needed to achieve it?

I forgot where I heard this, but someone said that every time you 3x your life - your business and belief system change.

And it makes sense...

If someone makes $3,000 per month suddenly makes $9,000 - they definitely went through some significant changes. Whether that's skillset, mindset, systems, process, whatever - they changed.

Now just imagine someone going from $0 to $10x?

We operate at best looking 3x in front of us.

We need something that's challenging - yet believable.

Because if it seems too far out and hard - it's easy to give into action faking.

Now, in terms of habits, after reading the book atomic habits - I became a big believer in starting small and working your way up.

It makes no sense trying to achieve a big goal if you haven't even covered the basics yet.

You need to take things one step at a time.

Finally, what really "grinds my gears" with Cardone is that his stuff resonates a lot with people who are new to sales and entrepreneurship. A lot of these people take everything he says literally and it can be detrimental to the wrong person.

If his "rah-rah" and "in your face attitude" isn't enough - in his videos, when someone challenges his 10x beliefs, he says things like "that's why you're broke dude!"

So yeah, that's why I tend to stay away from his stuff.

From my experience though, the books that I've gotten the best value out of personal development were:

• The 12 week year

• The End of procrastination
If anyone reads these 2 books they'll know exactly what to do.

Anyways, that's just my two cents, haha!

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
I like the 10x rule even if it doesn’t make exact logical sense. It’s a great emotional book and one that is easy to keep in mind.

- set bigger goals for yourself
- expect to work harder than you thought
- don’t settle for less than you are capable of

A good application of the rule would be aiming for 1 million/y instead of the 100k/y most people initially go for. The one million goal is going to have you thinking in a much different way and on a different trajectory than going for 100k first and then a million.

That’s how I see the book - it’s not a logic rule that makes 100% sense but it’s a mindset tool of “you can do better if you aim higher and do the work”.

I think it’s useful if you don’t take it at face value. It’s also a very good example of taking a polarizing position to build an audience and a brand! He probably could have made a 3x rule to say the same thing but it never would have gotten the same cult status.

Matt Hunt

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
192%
May 9, 2019
I followed Cardone for a while, but he quickly got annoying to me. I think there is a fine line between taking action and obtaining knowledge. You do need some knowledge, but you don't want to get analysis paralysis. Likewise, you don't want to take action if you're clueless.

Kyle T

Marketing Entrepreneur
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
419%
Aug 22, 2018
Utah
I recently finished listening to The 10x Rule by Grant Cardone audio book. I like his passion and drive, but his advice almost seems reckless to me. He suggests to just take action and worry about the details later. While I agree that taking action is a good thing, it seems like lack of some amount of planning could be a complete detriment. He gives a couple of examples where he took action on a opportunity not knowing what he was doing with the intention of figuring it out along the way. He then proceeds to explain how it all worked out in a way that makes it sound more like luck than skill. It seems like someone with less experience could potentially burn a lot of bridges by making commitments that they can't figure out how to make work and eventually lose credibility, or worse, going bankrupt.

On the other hand, if one were to take the level of action that he is describing, they probably could figure it out along the way. Maybe my thinking is just so far south from what he's describing that I can't wrap my head around it.

What are your guys' thoughts on this? I'd really like to hear from those that have some real successes under their belt (MJ) on whether you think this guys approach is crazy, genius, or somewhere in between.

I don't think it is recommended to go in without any planning. The idea is that you need to set insane goals and then plan the massive amounts of actions that are required to reach those insane goals.

If you do that and put in those insane amounts of work then you are going to be alright.

"Shoot for the stars, and you might land on the clouds."

PinPointing

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
241%
Jan 10, 2014
I've listened to a few of his audiobooks including 10x. He's super high energy and motivational but his content isn't something I've taken notes on. I remember him talking about how he wrote one of his books in 2 hours or something. Massive action but not much framework.

DustinH

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
162%
May 24, 2017
Nashville
I like Grant. I love the 10X Rule. I read at least 2x/year. He's a motivational speaker. He gets me motivated when I listened to him. Does his message have answers to my long-term problems? No. Does his high-level energy seep through my iphone into my ears and get me juiced for the day? Yes! Is it only temporary? Yes, but motivation is like bathing. That's why it's recommended on a daily basis.

I'll tell you why 10X Rule resonates with me. If "analysis paralysis" was a real diagnosable and treatable medical disease then I would be on the highest possible daily drug dosage to combat it. It's a real struggle for me. That's why the concept of "just take massive action and figure the rest out later" is what I need. The truth is that I've probably already done the prep work for a new major project or life change. So, taking massive action is the next step I need to take, and I can always adjust the course as needed.

Side Note: don't give Grant any money other than buying his books. Giving them money to invest in real estate is only going to make him more wealthy, not you. Buying his online sales courses won't give you much value. I don't think they're that great.

Sales Guru Question and Debate:
So, many "gurus" have a defining feature that says to "do as I say, not as I do." I would define Grant as a guru, but he has the elements of a "do as I do" guru. Think about it, he is on air on a daily basis and he is always selling. Some of his biggest products are his sales courses. He makes money by selling sales to salespeople (demonstrating the same tactics as he is selling?). So, if you're selling sales to salespeople then you would be teaching them tactics as they go through his sales funnel, right?

On the other hand, take a Brian Tracy. He has training on sales and general business practices but only makes money on speaking and writing books. Not necessarily owning a big business or doing a lot of selling.

Maybe I'm the only one who thinks its an interesting irony to watch play out.

Thiago Machado

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
May 20, 2014
The issue with consultative selling (or that school of thought) is that it works when your customer likes the approach, need to do a complex deal and already trusts you as the advisor.

Yes!

In my experience, I've found Beflort's stuff to work well with a short sales cycle.

Nobody wants to prolong any deal if it's something small and quick.

But once you start talking bigger numbers - and part of closing the deal is the client's long-term relationship with you, then you need to be cautious.

Again, there's really no right or wrong.

It's just what works in the context your in.

This thread makes me think about a "business frankenstein"
  • Grant Cardone's mindset (hustle, discipline, energy)
  • James Clear to understand how the mind works and to make long-lasting changes
  • Jordan Belfort for a short sales cycle (probably anything under $1000)
  • Spin Selling for a longer sales cycle (anything over $1000 and long term)
The list could go on and on.

But I think the right word is "context"

Grant's good when you're feeling low or need a boost to think bigger.

As a matter of fact - he changed my mindset on how I approach sales rejection.

"You only feel rejection if your pipeline isn't full"

That has to be the realest thing I've ever learned.

Whenever you're short on people to talk too - you start to get anxious.

Have nobody to talk too - and suddenly your panicking.

But when you have a steady flow of deals in the making, you're nice and calm.

A deal could flop and it won't bother you one bit - because you know there's another one just around the corner.

Last edited:

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I'm not sure if I can do a good job of quantifying it here, but I'll try (kinda like the fact that I played professional poker for a long time, but it's really tough to explain how I pick up tells from other players)...

Some things I tend to see:

- How much work they've put in before they come to me. If someone wants me to hold their hand starting from the day they decide to try a new endeavor, they probably won't be successful. There are LOTS of resources out there to help you learn the basics of starting and growing a business, investing, real estate or whatever it is you want to do. If you don't have the initiative to learn everything you can on your own before you ask for help, you're probably either too lazy or too undisciplined to make it as an entrepreneur. Those who spend a few months learning absolutely everything they can and only come to me when they hit an insurmountable roadblock are the ones that will often make it.

- The questions they tend to ask. The depth of questions is a big tell in how something thinks. If someone asks me to lunch and asks a question like, "What's the best tip you have for a new investor?" or "What do you wish you would have known when you started?" I know that this person is unlikely to take much action. If they ask pointed, detailed questions that are actionable and help them overcome issues they're facing, they are much more likely to have the personality where they are willing and able to solve hard problems, and that's an indicator for success.

- How they treat me. If it's all about them, and they are happy to use me for however I can help them, they aren't going to be successful. They'll attempt to use other people as well. If they are more concerned about providing me value than they are about me providing them value, they are more likely to have the mentality of offering value to others, which goes a long way towards entrepreneurial success. It's amazing the number of people who practically beg me to have lunch or coffee with them, and then expect me to drive to where they are or to split the cost of the meal. And no, it's not about the money.

- Their level of empathy. This is a weird one, but I've noticed a tremendous correlation between those who are empathetic (can put themselves in other people's shoes and can understand the thoughts and feelings of others) and those who go on to be successful entrepreneurs. Maybe it's confirmation bias on my part, but in my opinion, this is one of the best predictors of business success.

- Their previous success and dedication. With anything. I like to ask people about their past jobs, hobbies and what they do in their spare time. If someone has had a successful career or has played an instrument for a long time or is a skilled woodworker or has collected stamps for 20 years -- those are traits of someone who has the ability to dedicate themselves to something. Many people just jump from thing to thing and don't have the ability to dedicate themselves to anything. Those are the ones who will do the same with a business or their investments -- they'll abandon ship as soon as a little bit of work is required.

Those are the big things I can quantify. Obviously, there are a lot of things we can glean from people that is harder to quantify -- confidence, intelligence, drive, etc. -- and those things play a huge factor as well.
Would Rep this but can’t find the button. I personally agree with Empathy being very important. How can you sell a solution to someone or create a win-win if you can’t put yourself in their shoes?

MHP368

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Aug 17, 2016
Sahuarita AZ
I think "ready , shoot , aim" maybe lays it out a little more pragmatically but along the same line of thought.

The 10x principle though is solid thinking , if you keep shooting for the moon and landing on a hilltop then youd better put away rationality about what's "possible for me" and start shooting for the next solar system over.

What are the odds you do just enough on the next endeavor to accomplish what you set out to do? , Considering that if you're here reading this and haven't "made it yet" its because youve underperformed every attempt so far...

Say you want 3 million bucks exactly. Well what's going to start happening at 500k or 1 million? Complacency , excuses.

Noe if the goal was 30 million? You might just find a little extra grit inside to fly past those early numbers , now you're stumbling at maybe 15 or 20 million.

Bekit

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Aug 13, 2018
Yes it is gone for the moment, not sure if it will be temporary or permanent. Still a lot of tweaks going on...
TnBz.gif

But I lived for watching my rep bank grow...

:hilarious:

OK sorry for hijacking this excellent thread... back to what we were saying...

Thiago Machado

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
May 20, 2014
When it comes to business and sales in particular I find Jordan Belford’s teaching materials much more credible and practical.

Don't know if the OP's main focus is sales or personal development - but this was a great quote.

I've seen Jordan Belfort's stuff, but I think it's too pushy.

He made most of his money in the 80's - 90's - so his tactics are a bit outdated too.

To me, his stuff just screams "slimy salesman"

The best sales material I've ever stumbled upon was Spin Selling.

It's backed by science and makes sense.

It's much more authentic and empathetic, (I learned this from @Andy Black 's stuff)

You don't need to be super hyped to sell.

Just help people and provide an awesome solution - and the sale usually takes care of itself.

Thiago Machado

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
May 20, 2014
My end goal here was sales, but being successful at that may require a great deal of personal development if one is not a natural in this area. Thanks for your reply and insights.

I think being good at sales comes down to being a good human being.

People can smell a salesperson a mile away.

When you genuinely care about helping people solve their problems - somehow they pick up on that too.

From my experience - most people focus on the meeting, the actual sales call.

But sales involves many things:

Prospecting (Attract)

Sales Call (Close)

Relationship (Retain)

If you're selling something that's lower ticket and quick - Grant's stuff could work.

But here's why I'm not such a big fan of his approach:

Prospecting - He seems to focus more on volume and less on quality.

You'll hear him say things like: "You need to be making at least 500 calls a day"

Does this work?

Absolutely.

But in my experience, I've gotten better results by focusing on a select group of people and reaching out to them in a way that's highly personalized and targeted.

(Again, Grant's approach works - It's just the context of what you sell. For me he wasn't as helpful)

Sales Call (Close): I think he's a little too "old school" and "agressive"

From my personal experience:

If I did my prospecting correctly...

Identified my prospects problems...

And proposed an irresistible offer...

There's no need to focus on closing techniques.

Relationship (Retain): No idea how this part of his business is like - but he does a great job of providing value at scale and nurturing relationships with people.

Overall, the best sales lesson you can get is:

1. Focus on solving your prospects problems

2. And you do this by being empathetic and asking the right questions

That's why I like the Spin Selling approach.
  • There's no pressure and no hype.

• You just ask some good questions.

• You help them identify their problems.

• And show them the perfect solution.
Again, all of this depends on the context of what you sell and your "style."

I'm no expert, but this is what worked for me.

What are you selling at the moment?

Maybe Grant's stuff can be great for you.

Last edited:

SeePetey

Highly Trained Ape
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
219%
Mar 8, 2012
Elsewhere
I've been very good at figuring out -- in the first 10 minutes -- whether someone is going to be successful or not.
What are some success/not-so-success flags that you tend to notice?

I'm not very good at reading people, so it's always interesting to hear this stuff from folks who are.

FierceRacoon

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
Jun 1, 2019
What do you guys expect?

It's a BOOK. Even the Bible or the Bhagavad Gita cannot instantaneously change the lives of most people. This does not make it a bad book. In terms of whether the views are exactly correct --- no, it is impossible to communicate a decade of experience to a novice. All you can hope for is to show people the direction of the next step.

GoodluckChuck

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
419%
Feb 2, 2017
my house
10x Rule is one of my favorite books because Grant is a powerhouse and a good person to emulate, especially in the beginning.

I think it's a mistake to look at any book like it contains all the info you need to be successful. Being successful is a long process that needs to be adjusted constantly.

10x Rule really hammered home a few things for me early in the game which definitely changed my long term trajectory:

1. If I'm capable of doing more than I am, then it's my duty to do it.
2. My goals should start larger or I'm likely to look back and wish they had.
3. Things always take more time and effort than expected.
4. Never lower the bar if I can increase effort.

I think the message of taking action before planning too much is good advice seeing as most people plan until they get bored then they move on without ever taking any action.

With that said, I don't recall Cardone saying not to plan. A main premise is to set the goal 10x larger then plan to take 10x more action to achieve it.

I wouldn't discount the entire book because you feel like planning more.

Like JScott said, the book is less important than the reader when it comes to achieving.

Hyperion

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
104%
May 28, 2019
Thanks for all your replies. It sounds like the general consensus is that the book is mostly just motivational hype with the exception of those stuck in analysis paralysis. In this case though (as is the case with me), one probably has all the information and education needed to get started due the shear amount of analysis done. They (we) need a swift kick in the pants to start taking action.

guy93777

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
Jun 5, 2019
I followed Cardone for a while, but he quickly got annoying to me. I think there is a fine line between taking action and obtaining knowledge. You do need some knowledge, but you don't want to get analysis paralysis. Likewise, you don't want to take action if you're clueless.

Grant Cardone gets things done thanks to his strong personality. no need to go further.

this is the same pattern than Dan Pena

the real value taught by these guys : the mindset

Grant Cardone on stage

Dan Pena

maybe these guys can go even deeper and become this :

Hyperion

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
104%
May 28, 2019

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Wait a minute... there's no rep listed on users, either. @MJ DeMarco did the Rep+ $$$ go away from the site with the new update?

Yes it is gone for the moment, not sure if it will be temporary or permanent. Still a lot of tweaks going on...

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Singapore

When it comes to business and sales in particular I find Jordan Belford’s teaching materials much more credible and practical.

A lots of Grants teaching is fluff and it boils down to “I am great, I work my a$$ off, worship me, pay me and hopefully you will be like me”.

His sales teaching boils down to keep harassing the customer until he buys.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Singapore
Don't know if the OP's main focus is sales or personal development - but this was a great quote.

I've seen Jordan Belfort's stuff, but I think it's too pushy.

He made most of his money in the 80's - 90's - so his tactics are a bit outdated too.

To me, his stuff just screams "slimy salesman"

The best sales material I've ever stumbled upon was Spin Selling.

It's backed by science and makes sense.

It's much more authentic and empathetic, (I learned this from @Andy Black 's stuff)

You don't need to be super hyped to sell.

Just help people and provide an awesome solution - and the sale usually takes care of itself.
When it comes sales its really about different school of thoughts.

When I first read Jordan’s stuff it does not really impress me and it looks a bit “old school”.

After trying a few “new schools approach” with dismay results I went back to try Jordan’s approach and it is fantastic.

The issue with consultative selling (or that school of thought) is that, it works when your customer likes the approach, need to do a complex deal and already trusts you as the advisor.

There are many cases that customer are not ready to trust you to be the consultant. And many times they are just looking for a simple transactional deal but they are not sure whether they will be getting the best deal from you.

Jordan offers a comprehensive system of solution to tackle these issues.

Jordan’s tonality can be pressurizing. Because it will make the prospect like an unreasonable person to reject the deal, after he had energetically played why the deal has so much to gain and so little lose.

But Jordan doesn’t do the bullshit of “objection handling”, which is debating with the customer, a common practice taught by most sales trainers. Debating with prospects cause a lot of unnecessary pressures that make prospects uncomfortable. In this aspect Jordan’s method is far less forceful.

Wiggly0607

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
May 1, 2013
Ohio
Grant Cardone lost all credibility the minute he associated himself with Tai Lopez and Fred Lam and many more. It seems he's offering some secret packages for new gurus like Fred to come onto his show, where these new gurus pay $ to him and he talks about them in a credible light on his show that showcases the "strengths" of these unknowns (we have one member here who was in a video with Cardone).

10x? Lol

Interesting. I have seen stuff about Tai on YouTube, seems pretty controversial. What is his story? (Tai)

Re: 10X, I listened to the audiobook also. His energy is what makes the book good rather than the content. He's basically saying that you need to work harder than you think you do to be as successful as you want to be. That's it.

He also mispronounces so many words in the book, it drove me crazy, but that's my audiobook OCD coming out!

rollerskates

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
269%
Jan 10, 2017
Texas
Everyone thinks I’m an expert at lawn care and we sell our services at a premium price. Man, I’m up at night searching how to trim rose bushes and how to kill moss. I’m no expert.

This! I'm not too familiar with Grant Cardone, but if it's something that doesn't involve someone's health or safety, I say go for it and figure it out as you go along. My current business spinoff I started pretty much on a whim. It's something I had only dabbled in previously, but it turns out I am good at it (flipping stuff), even though I'm a total noob. I usually grab stuff for sale that's within my budget, and then figure out if it will sell and what for. So far so good. And speaking of gurus, Gary Vee is a big fan of flipping. Obviously he doesn't need the money but he does it to show it can be done.

James Klymus

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
353%
Dec 28, 2018
Chicago, Illinois
Hes a good guy. When I first started following him as a beginner he made a lot of good points and changed my mindset on a lot of things.

I think there are 3 types of people who watch people like graant cardone and other guru type people.

The person who thinks hes just another rich a**hole and disregards his advice and continues on.

The person who comes across him, takes some good ideas and mindsets from him, maybe reads their book, then goes on about their life applying the knowledge they learned from him.

Then the third type is the RAVING fan who sees them as the almighty. They become a god in their eyes and they follow every last word they say, speculate on him, and basically begin to think about him all day. Think about how some people are literally addicted to self help but never do anything BESIDES listen to self help gurus.

Ideally you want to be the second person. I think grant and a lot of gurus have some good advice. But don't let them distract you from moving on within your own life.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
I think it works differently for everyone. I've often had to take a leap of faith without a plan, and it's life pushing you in this direct at times. While I try to make the best choices, other people always have a cause and effect in the process as well.

I am a bit more cautious, where some people don't think before they execute, and usually I'm the one on the other end of this with Sensors and Thinkers, I have no clue what personality type he has, but some personality types are designed to act fast and slice and dice with out worrying about the consequences and I watch people make a mess at times doing this. Fortunately, there's nothing you can do about this.

I can see both ends of it, but risks are always part of the process no matter what you do. Entrepreneurship pretty much is gambling and taking a risk, just probably not in the sense of a Casino game.

I have never notice anyone who isn't taking a risk in business or even dealing with other people. Some are more reckless than others.

0dysseus

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
May 23, 2018
Berlin, Germany
I like the guy, but seems like he never says anything of substance. You can listen through 2 hours of cheerleading and you still may not hear even one practical advice.

It's kinda fun though. I've been hustling for 10+ hours in the last 4 years so I know motivation is not a problem for me, but it's still good to get a little pick-me-up out of someone's energy every once in a while.

That's the real value he provides for people, so he deserves everything he has.

But practical business advice? I've read better advice on this forum alone.

Primeperiwinkle

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 30, 2018
I'm not sure if I can do a good job of quantifying it here, but I'll try (kinda like the fact that I played professional poker for a long time, but it's really tough to explain how I pick up tells from other players)...

Some things I tend to see:

- How much work they've put in before they come to me. If someone wants me to hold their hand starting from the day they decide to try a new endeavor, they probably won't be successful. There are LOTS of resources out there to help you learn the basics of starting and growing a business, investing, real estate or whatever it is you want to do. If you don't have the initiative to learn everything you can on your own before you ask for help, you're probably either too lazy or too undisciplined to make it as an entrepreneur. Those who spend a few months learning absolutely everything they can and only come to me when they hit an insurmountable roadblock are the ones that will often make it.

- The questions they tend to ask. The depth of questions is a big tell in how someone thinks. If someone asks me to lunch and asks a question like, "What's the best tip you have for a new investor?" or "What do you wish you would have known when you started?" I know that this person is unlikely to take much action. If they ask pointed, detailed questions that are actionable and help them overcome issues they're facing, they are much more likely to have the personality where they are willing and able to solve hard problems, and that's an indicator for success.

- How they treat me. If it's all about them, and they are happy to use me for however I can help them, they aren't going to be successful. They'll attempt to use other people as well. If they are more concerned about providing me value than they are about me providing them value, they are more likely to have the mentality of offering value to others, which goes a long way towards entrepreneurial success. It's amazing the number of people who practically beg me to have lunch or coffee with them, and then expect me to drive to where they are or to split the cost of the meal. And no, it's not about the money.

- Their level of empathy. This is a weird one, but I've noticed a tremendous correlation between those who are empathetic (can put themselves in other people's shoes and can understand the thoughts and feelings of others) and those who go on to be successful entrepreneurs. Maybe it's confirmation bias on my part, but in my opinion, this is one of the best predictors of business success.

- Their previous success and dedication. With anything. I like to ask people about their past jobs, hobbies and what they do in their spare time. If someone has had a successful career or has played an instrument for a long time or is a skilled woodworker or has collected stamps for 20 years -- those are traits of someone who has the ability to dedicate themselves to something. Many people just jump from thing to thing and don't have the ability to dedicate themselves to anything. Those are the ones who will do the same with a business or their investments -- they'll abandon ship as soon as a little bit of work is required.

Those are the big things I can quantify. Obviously, there are a lot of things we can glean from people that is harder to quantify -- confidence, intelligence, drive, etc. -- and those things play a huge factor as well.

I really wanted to ask about your thoughts. I was glad to see someone else did. I was REALLY glad when I read your response.

Thank you for taking the time to put your feelings down. Much appreciated.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.