The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Testing Market Need through Phone Calls?

GatsbyMag

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Jun 20, 2016
This might sound silly to more experienced entrepreneurs/businessmen on here but I'm starting an IT consultancy business. I think it's a good idea for several reasons but obviously that doesn't matter. I think the quickest way to test if there's a need in the market for this is by calling up local businesses in my town and asking about their IT problems. So far I've called about 4 and they've said no. I'm going to continue calling but do you think I'm wasting my time using this strategy? Do you think I should actually set up the business as fast as possible and try getting clients to test the need instead?

Thanks!

[Please move if wrong thread]

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
Is it a problem that people pay other providers to solve for them, or are you offering a completely new service that nobody has ever offered before?

If the former, you know that there is a market need for what you offer and calling businesses should be focused on getting an appointment for a deeper conversation about how you can help solve their problems. A cold call (for something expensive) will almost never be a sales call, in the sense that money will change hands, but you gotta sell on getting the first meeting.

If the latter, then you have a much longer slog ahead of you. I would say start with warmer traffic and work from there, rather than cold traffic.

Midas

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Jun 10, 2016
This might sound silly to more experienced entrepreneurs/businessmen on here but I'm starting an IT consultancy business. I think it's a good idea for several reasons but obviously that doesn't matter. I think the quickest way to test if there's a need in the market for this is by calling up local businesses in my town and asking about their IT problems. So far I've called about 4 and they've said no. I'm going to continue calling but do you think I'm wasting my time using this strategy? Do you think I should actually set up the business as fast as possible and try getting clients to test the need instead?

Thanks!

How do you assure them you won't come in and break their system or "borrow" sensitive information?

GatsbyMag

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Jun 20, 2016
Is it a problem that people pay other providers to solve for them, or are you offering a completely new service that nobody has ever offered before?

If the former, you know that there is a market need for what you offer and calling businesses should be focused on getting an appointment for a deeper conversation about how you can help solve their problems. A cold call (for something expensive) will almost never be a sales call, in the sense that money will change hands, but you gotta sell on getting the first meeting.

If the latter, then you have a much longer slog ahead of you. I would say start with warmer traffic and work from there, rather than cold traffic.

Yes, follow the market. Reminds me of something Cardone said, thanks Lowtek for this, true legend :)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

grindmode

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Jan 21, 2017
Kansas City

Thanks!

"Cold calling" IMO is harder than door to door sales... Especially depending on your lead sources. Practice in the mirror and even prepare a few different "pre-made written down" introductions/things you will be asking questions to each prospect after grabbing their attention within the first 30 seconds or less... After that they have ever hung up or they are asking YOU the question... Always be the one in control of the conversation asking the questions... Learn/practice cold calling on a live human such as your friend or family member to perfection and market/generate sold leads which if you have something of VALUE to offer anyone with the practice and eventually mastering of learning how to close you will in business... Good luck

DaveC

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
166%
Oct 15, 2012
Chicago, IL
Do you think I should actually set up the business as fast as possible and try getting clients to test the need instead?

Short answer: No:)

Long answer: Sales is part of setting up the business...no sales=no business. I wouldn't do one thing for setup until I had an actual check in hand. No one likes to be cold called. Ask your family members, friends, friends of friends to see where they are struggling with IT. Go to a local business meetup and say you are in IT, ask for problems.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.