The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

O/T: HEALTH TENS unit for the chronic back pain?

Alfreda Powell

New Contributor
Jan 19, 2019
san jose
I have had chronic back pain due to a motorcycle accident for 2 years. Recently I was told to get a TENS unit. I have purchased HealthmateForever tens unit from amazon.
Have you used this before? If so, did it work for you? any recommendations area for putting the pads for back pain?

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

Last edited:

MJ DeMarco

Administrator
Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Millionaire Fastlane
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jul 23, 2007
Fountain Hills, AZ
I own one and from my experience, it helps.

Even if it's just an electrical distraction creating a placebo, when the back hurts its nice to have a tool to counter act it.

Other great remedies for back pain is CBD balm.

Strategery

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Jun 25, 2019
It will alleviate pain for a while, if you use them too often their effectiveness decreases. Put the pads along the muscle length, avoid putting them close together, across the spine or on bone. Obviously don't put them over your heart.

I would recommend the book Becoming a Supple Leopard by Kelly Starett. Or something like that, I can't remember the spelling. Doing the stuff in that book has gotten to the root cause of a lot of my back pain.

Source: an abandoned degree in athletic training and I get hurt a lot in jiu jitsu.

ProcessPro

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
Apr 26, 2018
My fiance has one (same brand) but uses it for period pain. It works great, and is a go to tool each month. No harm in trying.

That said, be sure to seek professional advice so as to not use these things as a crutch when there may be better/proper remedies out there.

JunkBoxJoey_JBJ

Reversed: Life is expecting from you.
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jul 9, 2018
There was also at least one good thread here on “back pain” input, etc...on a quick forum search couldn’t find, but it exists.

Primeperiwinkle

though she be but little...
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Nov 30, 2018
DFW
A TENS unit activates muscles in a small, limited way for a short period of time. Since most muscle pain is due to some type of limited movement pattern or weakness of a group of muscles, activating them can help relieve the pain for a bit.

The thing is, those muscles are typically quite weak so strengthening them systematically, in a variety of ways will do much, much more to help alleviate pain. In a perfect world a person could contract and relax every muscle in their body and their movements within the correct (or normal) range of motion would not be limited.

Trauma, stress, injury, poor posture, hormones, diet, and hydration all affect your nervous system and the tissues which facilitate movement.. like muscles and fascia. Some ppl need more flexibility. Some ppl need more strength. Most ppl need a good balance of both to counteract the hours and hours we spend each day not moving.

For low back pain, the abdominals, psoas (hip flexors), and glutes being strengthened can accomplish a great deal. For upper back pain, usually, the pecs need to be stretched, lengthened and relaxed while the upper traps, rhomboids and deep posterior cervical muscles need to be strengthened.

Getting rid of pain is a process because getting into it didn’t just happen in a day. Most clients I see are much more unhealthy than they understand.

Good tests to discover your relative muscular health are planks (which in a healthy person can be held for a minute quite easily), squats (a deep gluteal dominant squat should be no problem) and getting up from the floor without touching the floor, and what I love to call the Pentecostal hallelujah (basically raising your arms at 45 degree angle from your head up high).

For instance, if you sit down on the floor how many times do you have to pivot and touch the floor before you can get back up?

If doing a plank, a squat, raising your arms, or getting up from the floor is difficult... you’re not alone. The body is plastic though.. which means you absolutely can change it. Chronic pain can be improved in the short term by a variety of passive modalities like acupuncture, chiropractic, orthopedic massage, cryotherapy, cold water immersion, and balms. But the number one way to decrease pain long term is by exercise, specifically loading the muscles. If they don’t get stronger your brain will constantly be sending out “pain” signals so you don’t move too much and cause injury. In other words, when your muscles are weak your brain begins to believe there is some distinct instability at work.. and movement becomes more and more limited. This sets up a vicious cycle where you become weaker and then move less, then have more pain.

TENS are great for the short term.

I do not have a specific company recommendation.

If you aren’t interested in any of the above, please disregard. This is just my 19 yr career experience.

Zarathustra

Contributor
Aug 29, 2017
Chicago
I would recommend anyone with back pain to read the Back Mechanic and Low Back Disorders by Stuart McGill if you haven't already. World class back expert. The knowledge of pain triggers and anatomy alone helped so much with my bulging disc issues.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe to become an INSIDER.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom