The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Telling truth from lies

Mr K

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Jan 14, 2008
I've had an interesting week this week involving fund raising for charity & donations for a person in need. (You can read more detail here: Studiowhiz)

I wanted to get your thoughts? When you read something online that has the potential to touch your "heart strings" and maybe your wallet - how do you filter what is scam/lies and what is truth?

Can we do "due diligence" like we can when it comes to business? Look for supporting facts, impact analysis and such like, or is that being too harsh?

Your thoughts?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Jorge

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Oct 5, 2007
Mendoza, Argentina
Btw, richard offered a link to my website but since I don't have one (yet) I asked for a link to kurt's feedyourfamilyfeedtheworld.com :)

Mr K

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Jan 14, 2008
Thank you ... btw: my intention here wasn't to garner more donations but rather fuel discussion around the whole trusting a website/post thing.

However all donations are MUCH appreciated - thank you

Jill

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Jan 26, 2008
Frisco, TX (Dallas)
I only give if I have direct knowledge of the situation / organization - or - if I can verify their 501(c)(3) status or such. Most legit charitable orgs will also freely disclose what percentage of contributions goes to administration and what goes to the end cause.

kimberland

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
15%
Jul 25, 2007
I am fully tapped out with donations
and would only consider a new charity reco'd by a trusted friend or family member.
Even then, I'd verify with that the charity was registered
and google them
and ask my network.

If it was for an individual
(like your friend's father being out of work)
then it'd be a one time cash donation
usually taken out of my fun money.

randallg99

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
the last thing I would ever do is donate to charity sight unseen.

I do not give unless I review financials and/or participate on their board.

PEERless

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Jan 23, 2008
I use Charity Navigator. It gives unbiased reports (including financials) on thousands of registered charities.

I would never give to an unorganized or unregistered cause. A large, well-known organization can stretch my donation farther.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
randallg99 said:
I do not give unless I review financials and/or participate on their board.

Cool.

How did you get involved? Were they family-oriented trusts, or did they come to you?

-Russ H.

randallg99

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
Cool.

How did you get involved? Were they family-oriented trusts, or did they come to you?

-Russ H.

in the past, I always participated in different organizations such as Operation Prevention of Teenage Suicide (OPTs), Lions club, Rotary, local hospitals, etc... while these organizations are good for long term friendships and interesting community affairs, they did not provide me the satisfaction of open ended resolutions to real problems in our society and community at large.

A few years ago, I received a phone call from a colleague in the area (I used to date his daughter) who asked me to help him in an organization that was facing a multitude of issues: growing client base, lacking funds, aging board group, etc. This organization specializes in family and children services and most recently has devoted much of its attention to the senior segment of our society. Whether people realize this or not, the elderly is placing some of the heaviest burden on the gov't budgets and resources.

The bittersweet experience is that there is not enough time in a day to do all that's needed but there's also the gratification that the organization has more than tripled its budget in the past several years and that we have made concerted efforts in creating a self sustaining reserve fund.

all in all, it's a gratifying experience, especially because they have a very low administrative cost.

regarding organizations you are considering donating to, you can request their financials before donating. They should be able to provide statements of cash flow, p&l and balance sheets.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.