The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

TED Talk: Do schools kill creativity?

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Brilliant, insightful, thought provoking, and hilarious TED talk:

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

RogueInnovation

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jul 28, 2013
I don't agree... entirely

Here is why,
I was raised with schooling but I ALSO chose to train myself and teach myself in cultures and artforms.

Thats right, CHOSE to train myself.

I was more dedicated than other kids who liked to "hide away" at school. They didn't understand "why" I did it, they were sceptical it had any merit, and were often assonine about it unless it directly benefitted them.

By studying both at school and on my own, I was exposed to the active choice of others to conform. I could see clearly, that they simply had not wanted to DO something, enough to actually go out and take responsibility for it.

The fear is inherent, it is unpleasant, and it is a lie that it is taught to you by school.

I learnt most about life from my own training over that decade of my formative years.
And school became irrelevant.
And when I wished to leave, it offered me NO RESISTANCE.
I literally got up from my seat and left.

No Matrix agents chased me down.

The only thing I did feel was fear. Fear that I didn't know the world yet.
And SOME people leveraged that against my young mind (which was unpleasant) but I stayed resolute.
I survived IN ABUNDANCE, making more money than any other kid my age, and it paid my way for ten years of my own personal development that led me around the world.

It was NOT school holding me back. It was peoples obedience, fear, and apathy, holding THEM in a cycle of blame.

Why did I even go to f#cking school?
I don't know, it was pretty pointless.
But sitting around in a classroom didn't "stiffle" me.

It was my lack of drive and willingness to sit in a seat and do nothing that did that.

Perhaps, I even wanted to be controlled? Like some kind of surrogate form of guidance that kept me "in order", because I could be random and stupid if left to roam around bored in the streets and parks.

Can schools be more fun and creative, useful? Well, yes, and it would be about damn time!
But ultimately, the change will be somewhat cosmetic, because the disturbing truth is that you can be creative at that age, you just chose not to be.

Last edited:

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
I don't agree... entirely

Here is why,
I was raised with schooling but I ALSO chose to train myself and teach myself in cultures and artforms.

Thats right, CHOSE to train myself.

I was more dedicated than other kids who liked to "hide away" at school. They didn't understand "why" I did it, they were sceptical it had any merit, and were often assonine about it unless it directly benefitted them.

By studying both at school and on my own, I was exposed to the active choice of others to conform. I could see clearly, that they simply had not wanted to DO something, enough to actually go out and take responsibility for it.

The fear is inherent, it is unpleasant, and it is a lie that it is taught to you by school.

I learnt most about life from my own training over that decade of my formative years.
And school became irrelevant.
And when I wished to leave, it offered me NO RESISTANCE.
I literally got up from my seat and left.

No Matrix agents chased me down.

The only thing I did feel was fear. Fear that I didn't know the world yet.
And SOME people leveraged that against my young mind (which was unpleasant) but I stayed resolute.
I survived IN ABUNDANCE, making more money than any other kid my age, and it paid my way for ten years of my own personal development that led me around the world.

It was NOT school holding me back. It was peoples obedience, fear, and apathy, holding THEM in a cycle of blame.

Why did I even go to f#cking school?
I don't know, it was pretty pointless.
But sitting around in a classroom didn't "stiffle" me.

It was my lack of drive and willingness to sit in a seat and do nothing that did that.

Perhaps, I even wanted to be controlled? Like some kind of surrogate form of guidance that kept me "in order", because I could be random and stupid if left to roam around bored in the streets and parks.

Can schools be more fun and creative, useful? Well, yes, and it would be about damn time!
But ultimately, the change will be somewhat cosmetic, because the disturbing truth is that you can be creative at that age, you just chose not to be.

maybe your parents never pressured you to do something specific, so even with school you felt the freedom to decide for yourself what to do with your life. At least that's how it was for me, i went through the whole school system, looking back it was mostly a waste of time expect for a small handful of classes... but im here now :)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
I think it depends on what school you go too. The schools around where I grew up had a tech school we could go too with different arts and other professions. I took Graphic Arts, went back to school and took other art classes. Our school was always filled with music from band, choir, art, and literature.
The business school I went too encouraged creativity in our projects. I think it depends on location and geographical location as well. What is more of a priority. I know some want to remove those creative avenues. We even had one charter school that was built and focused on the arts. Another religious school of some sort that did the same. There was an alternative school for those misfits.

If it was a poor area I'm not sure those resources would be available. I've talked to people online that lived in bigger cities that had less resources. I'm not sure exactly what all comes into place, but I would assume the motivation and agenda of those in the community and who is involved and donations and funds. Like in my community you have slowlane and fastlane pulling together to make our community a good one.

This is West Michigan. In other areas like Detroit that might not be the case, reed city, and other locations that are dead. The people in your community make it or break it. How much they're invested in it and what is important for their population.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.