The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Technology, Productivity Hacks, Tips and Tricks

alexkuzmov

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Sep 20, 2019
Bulgaria
Here are some of mine:

1. Whenever I get a large document to read I use text to speech. Its much faster and you get the gist of the document. Same can be applied to a blog posts or book pages etc.
I've done this a lot with the GOLD threads here.

2. Turn on Do Not Disturb on any message app, turn off notifications for emails, texts and whatever.
Check them whenever you have free time.
This limits distraction a great deal.
If something is truly urgent they can call you.

SEBASTlAN

Marketing Wizard
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Dec 22, 2014
Los Angeles
Auto Text Expander - Condense candid replies and other information in a text shortcut e.g. instead of writing "Hello just confirming our appointment tomorrow" just type "hjc" etc.

Flux - Sleep better by automatically having your computer block blue light as it gets closer to bed time.

Instant Street View - See what an address looks like without having to navigate Google Maps to find the street view option.

Last edited:

EnricoF

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
425%
Aug 29, 2017
Milano, Italy
My actually preferred productivity app for Mac:

Noteplan(mac only) - a calendar mixed with a notebook and a task manager, with an elegant and minimal interface. Being a fan of Bear Notes, i falled in love with minimal note-taking apps, but Bear unfortunately doesn't integrate with calendar. Notes in Bear are organized for tags, with a very clever system that also Noteplan has, but in NP you can also connect notes to calendar events. Also, clicking on each day in the calendar, you can edit the "daily note", which works as a journal but also as a task list and a markup editor, where you can put whatever you need, also images and links to files.
Usually each night, before sleep, on my iphone I create the entry for the next day with the "frogs I need to eat". The next morning the first I do is read that list and start working. Then, during the day, on the same note I add new info, notes, calls and everything that can help sort things up or recall informations in the future.
This process is sweet, I used to use at least 3 different apps:
- Things or Todoist for tasks,
- Google calendar for events
- Bear app for the daily journal, adding the date manually in the title
Some days keeping everything updated was pretty complex. With Noteplan is so much easier and it works!

Dynalist (Mac, Win, Linux, iOS, Android, Web) - For Workflowy aficionados who need more. Dynalist is a powered-up outline who could manage dates (syncs with calendar), tasks, tags and multi-paragraph entries (an ever existing limit in Workflowy). I'm using it for meeting notes, and I can create notes hierarchies very fast. In the end my notes all sorted up and easy to understand or be processed.

Noted (Mac, iOS) - Again another notebook (notebooks are my things) but this time this can record audio while you write and each word you write is a "bookmark" on the audio file. So you can move through the audio using each written words as an index. It syncs effortless and fast between Mac and Iphone, making it easy to use it from the phone in situations when your mac is not with you. It also can apply noise removal and equalization on the audio.
When I have a meeting with a client for a new project, I prefer to remember every single word of the session since writing notes I can miss some small but precious info. Noted is a precious ally in this, and it can record from your phone without even being noticed, than you could add written notes later when you scrub through the recording.

TwoBird (win, mac, ios, android) - a free, easy on the eyes, minimalistic email client. It allows you to reply emails with a single string UI, like a chat.

Other stuff (I'll probably add some more later):
send-anywhere.com
You know the time when you need an USB Pendrive to pass something to somenone and you don't have one with you? And the file is to heavy for email. So you start to try to share a folder on the local network but you use different OS and, well, shit!
Well, this tool can solve this:
1. you open the webpage,
2. drag the file you need to pass and it returns a code.
3. Your receiver opens the same website,
4. enters the code and the file starts to download!
Much faster than anything else, especially WeTransfer with its email based process.

And talking about WeTransfer...
Swisstransfer It's like WeTransfer but... the free version has a 50Gb (yes fifty!!) limit! Considering that wetransfer in the free version stops at 2Gb, this website is pretty useful

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Defection

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Oct 29, 2019
Chrome - Momentum. Creates a new tab where you can put your plans for the day, and it also has a to-do list.

Facebook News Feed Eradicator - Stops your news feed from loading unless you request it. Amazing for not getting distracted if you have other matters to attend to on FB.

Remove social media from your phone home screen - Sounds simple, but the inconvenience of several swipes/clicks to get to certain apps is a deterrent for me, and I barely ever use social media now because of it.

A separate 'work' account in your PC - I have an account that is purely business and one that is purely personal. I switch between them and it allows for 100% focus with no distractions.

RBTray for windows - I have a nasty habit of collecting too many tabs that I never read. RBTray allows you to minimize things to your taskbar, so they're still in the background, but I often find that if I still haven't read them after a week, then I probably don't need to, and I'm often a lot stricter with closing them then.

Odysseus M Jones

[B...{r<°∆°>}--O--{<°∆°>k}...E]
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
X MODERATED X
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Feb 2, 2020
Discovered these by accident:

Press & hold the back button on my Android phone brings a popup of page history.
Saves multiple presses of back button to get back to the page you want.

Swiping Chrome menu bar left & right scrolls through currently open tabs.
Saves pressing the little tab button & scrolling through open tabs.

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
I thought this thread would be useful for sharing tips and tricks that help with your productivity.

The reason being is I just stumbled on the fact that if I copy something on my iPhone (including screenshots and images) it is automatically placed in the clipboard on my iPad or MacBook so I can paste it from there. No big deal if you knew that already but useful if you didn’t.

Why didn’t I know this already? Because I have been using iPhones since the iPhone 3 first came out and I don’t have time to keep up with all the lists of new features. Besides I thought that was what AirDrop was all about.

So what do you use frequently that others may not be aware of?

CoolNerd

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
May 17, 2020
Europe
For productivity:

Notepad++: amazing text editor for working with "technical" texts (Linux alternative: Notepad qq)
ClipX: clipboard history manager - if you copy & paste a lot (Linux alternative: ClipIt)
Kdiff3: great tool for comparing texts, files, and even directories

Fighting distractions:

Facebook news feed eradicator: as already mentioned here, use this if you need to be on Facebook
Block Site: prevents you from visiting undesired websites (such as YouTube).
Block Site For Android: same thing for your Android device (can block websites and apps)

Health:

f.lux: as mentioned here before, blocks blue light to help you sleep better
Twilight: the same thing for your Android device
Big Stretch Reminder: reminds you to take regular break from the PC

Thinh

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
Aug 11, 2018
As @jmin and @MπR mentioned, get Alfred.

If you're on mac, and don't use Alfred, you're using barely 1/4 of the productivity potential of your machine.

This is the single, most important app on my mac, and the one I install first on any new mac machine. Once you start using it seriously, it is no more a nice app to have, it becomes a necessity.

Just to mention a few examples of what it enables me to do in just a few keystrokes (who has time to use the mouse?):
  • launch apps (duh)
  • search and browse files (this only makes it worth using Alfred. You never have to open Finder ever again, and it makes searching manually for files a thing of the past)
  • perform web searches on Google, Wikipedia, Unsplash, Icon databases, Font Awesome, SEO tools, PHP and Ruby documentations, YouTube, Twitter
  • get rid of bookmarks: I simply type "fastlane" and this forum launches
  • save and and paste everything I copied within the last week. I'm still baffled by how many people still live with only one level of clipboard history.
  • perform calculations and conversions
  • create reminders, google docs, calendar events
  • auto-expand dozens of text snippets I use all the time like email addresses, website urls, outreach emails
  • control Spotify
  • browse and find stuff in my Pocket account
  • ... and many more things, but I think you get the point.
I literally do all the things above in a few keystrokes.

If I can't use Alfred on my Mac, I might as well not use my computer at all.

FBA-N-SEO

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Jul 16, 2020
New York -- New York
Somebody mentioned I should post this tool in this thread as well:

Title pretty much says it.

I found this tool called ImportYeti. I had no idea things like this existed but apparently have for a long time now. Pretty much the US makes import records public information and you can find out who uses who as a supplier.

I feel like importing products is a ton easier now. I just search a company and then find their suppliers and reach out to the factory.

I'm in the fitness industry and sell a lot of weight plates and other fitness gadgets. Not only have the few companies I've interacted with been a lot cheaper than my current suppliers (I think I'm going straight to the source instead of through trade groups) but from my samples the quality seems a lot better too.

I've been on a bender trying to private label a lot of the products I retail to juice my profit margins. I've been selling tons of lacrosse balls for myofascial self release. A few quick searches and I found the supplier:

GLADIATOR LACROSSE -- Import History -- ImportYeti

CHUAN QI PRO -- Export History -- ImportYeti

The cost is literally 1/3 the price of what I was getting through my distributor and I get to sell branded product.

Am I the only one whose mind was blown by this? Is everybody already using tools like this?

Also, they say they get their information straight from the government, but I don't know how. Any ideas?

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I’m embarrassed to report that I only just started playing with the speech input option on my phone to create written content.

I’ve been writing the bare bones of scripts for YouTube videos. Pretty cool.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Nice, I am so bad at using a mouse with my left hand, despite being so good at using it right handed. It's basically an extension of my arm at this point. I need to use it left handed more.
I don't recommend it, but breaking your right collar-bone in a motorbike accident does have some advantages.

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
Some great resources here guys. Thanks for the input.

Auto Text Expander - Condense candid replies and other information in a text shortcut e.g. instead of writing "Hello just confirming our appointment tomorrow" just type "hjc" etc.

Yes. I use the auto correct feature on my phone in a similar way. I have 3 or 4 lists of hashtags allocated to 3 character combos. It makes it much quicker and easier to publish my instagram posts.

@alexkuzmov love the text to speech idea. Will give that a try.

RBTray for windows - I have a nasty habit of collecting too many tabs that I never read.

Oh I am so guilty of Tab Mania. Will give this a try for sure.

SkyLake

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Nov 29, 2016
I had some software that allowed me to move Windows around on the screen at the touch of buttons. It was great but is depreciated now. Winsplit I think. I’d love to find something similar.

Windows key + up/right/down/left does this.

Also check out powertoys by Microsoft. It does some nice extra stuff for power users. https://github.com/microsoft/powertoys

EDIT: Magnet does the same thing for Mac. If you use a Mac, it's a must own app.

Last edited:

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
For Fastlaners who are still stuck with using freemium products like Google Drive....

GOOGLE DRIVE PROBLEM 1:
- Once you right-click and press 'Download', you'll be shown two options, asking if you want to leave the page or not (cancel).

Intuitively, of course you'd click 'cancel'- but that will make your file zip download disappear!

Solution:
CLICK LEAVE- and somehow your download gets going

Very stupid UI mistake on Google's part- and it appears they still haven't fixed it, despite numerous angry posts on their support forum:

Apparently, even if you pay for more premium versions of Google Drive, this problem stays the same.

GOOGLE DRIVE PROBLEM 2:
It apparently has a cap on how big of files you can download.
Either zipping goes on forever, or the pop-up alert box disappears after loading close to completion.

To make your waiting-time for zipping and downloading not an utter waste of time, you can:

a. Use a download manager like IDM (has a few days' trial) or JDownloader2 (has free and premium)
(I use the latter- but it also has a certain cap unless you get premium)

b.Use another browser besides Chrome (e.g. Firefox or Internet Explorer- I used FireFox)

SIDE RANT:
When people on your support forum are ANGRILY saying they'll pick another better product than YOUR product, listen the F*ck to it and act on it! But apparently Google doesn't- hence why DropBox and the others are raking in money.

drahz

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Jul 24, 2019
You just reminded me of Cygwin which I use to write quick UNIX shell scripts on my Windows PC. Anyone up for bit of vi, sed, grep, or awk?

Cygwin was really good when it was the only option... now with WSL (Windows Subsystem for Linux) it is not really needed. WSL feels almost like Linux.

drahz

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Jul 24, 2019
  • Notion and Trello for organizing notes and planning
  • KeePass and Keepass2Android for password management, this is a really great thing for password management, if you are still using the same password for every site you go to, check this out.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Not a tech hack, but still good for productivity:

I can use my mouse left-handed while writing right-handed.

becks22

90% coffee, 10% everything else
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
271%
Jul 6, 2016
Upstate NY
I created a bunch keyboard macros that populate certain words when I hit Ctrl-1 (1, 2, 3, etc). Most of them are standard PWs that my clients use to encrypt items but it saves me so much time compounded during the week to just press 2 buttons instead of re-typing passwords all day long.

Some of my clients are in Asia so the customer care reps that I deal with have a basic understanding of English but that's it so I keep all my communication very straightforward without jargon so I use these macros for my standard email responses to them.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

Beerbread

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
144%
Dec 2, 2019
New Jersey
I created a bunch keyboard macros that populate certain words when I hit Ctrl-1 (1, 2, 3, etc). Most of them are standard PWs that my clients use to encrypt items but it saves me so much time compounded during the week to just press 2 buttons instead of re-typing passwords all day long.

Some of my clients are in Asia so the customer care reps that I deal with have a basic understanding of English but that's it so I keep all my communication very straightforward without jargon so I use these macros for my standard email responses to them.

Piggybacking off of this, I use a gaming mouse to keep my macros. I do a lot of work with Lightroom and Photoshop, and the buttons on the side of my mouse are a lifesaver!

I use the UtechSmart Venus Gaming Mouse but there's other variations of that. It depends on your needs and how many buttons you want.

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
:jawdrop: Wow that’s one serious mouse. I had a Razer for years with adjustable weight cartridge during my CS obsession days.

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
Notepad++: amazing text editor for working with "technical" texts (Linux alternative: Notepad qq)
This is F*cking useful to edit ARFF files for Weka and other data mining tools.

I've saved oodles of time with Notepad++ for initial data pre-processing, while my other college mates wasted time with Excel labour.

Some recent hacks I've found?

Excel KuTools add-in to automate many functions and prevent from wasting time on trying macros.

CoSchedule and Sharethrough Headlines Analysers, if you want to check if your headlines have enough emotion and prose. Scores from 0-100.

Mind though that for shorter headlines, especially for last-call emails, the tools might think that these headlines are lacking. Ultimately, you'd have to make the final call as to whether your headline is worth launching out into the open or not.

This next tool is specific for data scientists who use R for analytics, and use RMarkdown to write data reports:

here()package.

Sometimes when you want to read a csv file to start your project, it's troublesome to do the old fashioned read.csv way, set lengthy absolute pathways or set working directories (especially when you want to analyse multiple spreadsheets), because some stupid 'cannot find file' error pops up.

here() enables you to reach csv files from ANYWHERE in your computer.
All you need to do is to type in the name of the csv file, and bam- you can do work at once!

I would have saved a lot more hours that could have been spent on actual data work, instead of screaming over RMarkdown's stubbornness to recognise file pathways.

I found here() from a StackExchange post, but I had to dig to find it. A . Lot.

Genius01

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Dec 18, 2017
Nigeria
Swiping Chrome menu bar left & right scrolls through currently open tabs.
Saves pressing the little tab button & scrolling through open tabs.
Wow, I didn't know this. Nice little tip. Thanks.

Odysseus M Jones

[B...{r<°∆°>}--O--{<°∆°>k}...E]
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
X MODERATED X
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Feb 2, 2020
If I remember correctly (I’m 150 miles away from my pc at the moment) you can use the mouse scroll wheel as well instead of swiping? I could have dreamt that though. :rofl:
You could if you have a mouse attached to your phone.
Although scrolling is vertical & swiping is horizontal.
That's some powerful Bluetooth if it works from 150 miles away.

jmin

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
May 30, 2020
United Kingdom
If you want to improve the speed at which you navigate your computer, here are a couple of great apps (Mac only, but alternatives likely to be available).

(These apps are all free. I've included links, but if they're not allowed I'll take them down straight away).

1. Spectacle
Quickly move windows to certain areas of your screen. You can instantly organise your windows for side by side view etc. Using these shortcuts:
Cmd + right - right half of screen​
Cmd + left - left half of screen​
Cmd + F - fullscreen​
(Shortcuts customisable)

2. Alfred
Easily search through your computer files, applications & even google, without using your mouse to navigate.
Using the shortcut Option + Space
It works the same as the native Spotlight tool, except with greater functionality. You can also set it up to work with other programs so you can quickly add tasks/whatever you do with certain programs.

3. Macs Fan Control
This is less of a productivity hack but still useful. Some people don't realise that plugging an HDMI into a Macbook can cause the Mac to heat up, which causes the system to slow down and lag. Using fan control to set the fan to run at a higher rate prevents the system from heating up to a point where it begins to lag. Great tool.

Other than that - getting browser extensions for apps (eg. Notion/Evernote) has saved me a lot of time. Then there's a whole rabbit hole of IFTTT, Zapier and other automation programs, which I haven't explored enough yet myself.

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
Somebody mentioned I should post this tool in this thread as well:

Title pretty much says it.

I found this tool called ImportYeti. I had no idea things like this existed but apparently have for a long time now. Pretty much the US makes import records public information and you can find out who uses who as a supplier.

I feel like importing products is a ton easier now. I just search a company and then find their suppliers and reach out to the factory.

Thanks for posting. Wow! That actually would scare me if competitors could find my suppliers that easily.

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
416%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
For Chrome/Gmail users, Boomerang is great extension to bring an old email to the forefront if someone hasn't replied to it. You can also schedule emails to go out at specific times which can be helpful.

I also enjoy the Trello integration with gmail to easily save emails as "to-do's" on Trello boards. Super easy to save emails on desktop or phones.

Ocean Man

Life-long learner.
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Sep 26, 2018
United States
I’m embarrassed to report that I only just started playing with the speech input option on my phone to create written content.
While on the topic of speech and accessibility, I just found out that If you're using a macOS and you're tired of reading... You can have the text be read out to you.

1. Highlight the text that you'd like read out to you.
2. Right-click the highlighted text.
3. Hover over "Speech", and press on "Start Speaking".

The highlighted text will then be read out to you by the computer.

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
416%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
While on the topic of speech and accessibility, I just found out that If you're using a macOS and you're tired of reading... You can have the text be read out to you.

1. Highlight the text that you'd like read out to you.
2. Right-click the highlighted text.
3. Hover over "Speech", and press on "Start Speaking".

The highlighted text will then be read out to you by the computer.
For Android users you can use Pocket to do something similar. Save an article to your "pocket" then have it read it to you. Pocket

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.