The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Taxation smack upside the head

Taxes and regulation

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
Clearly I don't follow along with happenings as well as I should. I called my accountant to help with understanding the taxes that should be expected if I wanted to cash out of the commercial building.

As we went through the list.... one stood out.... about 80K to the affordable care act....

What?

I'm not looking for advice or understanding and don't want to get into a political debate. Just surprised that I did not know.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

GlobalWealth

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
Sep 6, 2009
Latvia
Clearly I don't follow along with happenings as well as I should. I called my accountant to help with understanding the taxes that I should expect if I wanted to cash out of the commercial building.

As we went through the list.... one stood out.... about 80K to the affordable care act....

What?

I'm not looking for advice or understanding and don't want to get into a political debate. Just surprised that I did not know.
#socialcontract #muhroads

Sent from my VTR-L29 using Tapatalk

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
Can you point to a reference that I can read about this shit?

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
Can you point to a reference that I can read about this shit?
Did not look into it. The accountant went through a list and sort of laughed when he went through this one. No probing questions from my end.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I called my accountant to help with understanding the taxes that should be expected if I wanted to cash out of the commercial building.

Never heard of this unless it's the 3.8% on investment income/gains?

@CareCPA

So nice to see you contributing to other people's health care so they can sit around all day watching TV while eating GMO food. :oops:

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
So nice to see you contributing to other people's health care so they can sit around all day watching TV while eating GMO food.
As an employer, we have been paying 80% of our employee's healthcare insurance costs if they are on our plan. We can no longer do that as rates continue to skyrocket. I thought that we were already doing our part here.

GlobalWealth

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
Sep 6, 2009
Latvia

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
about 80K to the affordable care act....

Might be worth it to hold on until after the elections. The two AZ cockroaches representing this state are holding up the OCare repeal (or replace) and both of them have tenuous holds on their office.

Oshitty-care is on its last legs so a new law, a repeal, or a restructure might instantly mean an 80K savings for you. I mean let's be serious, I don't care how "rich" one can be, or how comfy they feel, that's a lot of bread.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
Might be worth it to hold on until after the elections. The two AZ cockroaches representing this state are holding up the OCare repeal (or replace) and both of them have tenuous holds on their office.

Oshitty-care is on its last legs so a new law, a repeal, or a restructure might instantly mean an 80K savings for you.
After going through the list, I am not going to sell. The cost is too high. My thoughts were to cash out on the high side and wait for opportunities. Not enough money left after fees and taxes to make sense of it.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Oshitty-care

FYI for someone not living in Arizona... an O'care plan on the government marketplace is about $3,000/mo for a family of 5. If your household income is $100K/year (50k each spouse), more than half of your taxable income would go to health insurance. In other words, one parent is just working for health insurance, not only that, the health insurance is utter crap with $10K deductibles thrown in.

My thoughts were to cash out on the high side and wait for opportunities.

Tax reform could be great news for you. If cap-gains drop to 15, and the 3.8 is removed, the "hold and see" approach could reap some unusual dividends for you, not withstanding any appreciation in the waiting game. If any reform happens (still doubt anything will, when it comes to gubbermint) it should buoy the market further at its high levels.

Same thing goes for anyone thinking about selling their business. A sale at old rates could be $800K/more in taxes if something happens. (Assuming $10M sale.)

TStrike

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Aug 19, 2017
USA
That's wild.

I'm holding all my assets until I hear more news about the tax deal. Even my overvalued assets.

No sense in paying an ungodly rate now when it's only an unrighteous rate in 2 months...

On a related note, I believe I saw a Buffett quote somewhere that even he was holding until tax news came out.

Still sucks for you to hold because it's too expensive to sell. Sorry to hear that.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
Tax reform could be great news for you. If cap-gains drop to 15, and the 3.8 is removed, the "hold and see" approach could reap some unusual dividends for you, not withstanding any appreciation in the waiting game. If any reform happens (still doubt anything will, when it comes to gubbermint) it should buoy the market further at its high levels.
Agreed. There are a number of variables in this situation. I was looking to pay off the golf course and house loan, and pocket enough cash for other investments.

The other option that is available is to refinance the shops and pay off the other loans. It is possible to get non-recourse in our current environment. Max the loan on one property to take the others completely off the bank liability with no recourse in the case of a down market.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
Still sucks for you to hold because it's too expensive to sell. Sorry to hear that.
Hahahaha. I appreciate the sentiment. It is not possible to feel like anything sucks when there are options. A victim I am not! :)

Last edited:

CareCPA

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
357%
May 2, 2017
Pennsylvania
Never heard of this unless it's the 3.8% on investment income/gains?

@CareCPA

So nice to see you contributing to other people's health care so they can sit around all day watching TV while eating GMO food. :oops:
Looks like I'm already late to the party, but yes, sounds like the 3.8% surcharge on investment income.
If you don't need the cash, I'd hold and wait too. With politics in their current state, I'd be surprised if something didn't come through to benefit those with long term gains.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Thanks for sharing Steve as it's a good reminder that we all really need to be aware of tax policy when making business decisions.

It reminds me of the tax situation I had years ago...

1) Continue making six-figures monthly but be taxed 39% on it. (And from an asset I thought had declining value).
2) Or sell my business, make one big lump sum (accelerate the earnings to present value vs future value) and be taxed 20% on it.

When taking into account the "future value" of earnings, taxes, and the business outlook, it turned out to be the best decisions I ever made. ;)

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
YI for someone not living in Arizona... an O'care plan on the government marketplace is about $3,000/mo for a family of 5.

My good god. That's an insane amount. That's like an entire middle class person's monthly salary!

This made me want to look up what us Canadians pay (through taxes, obviously) and it looks like a family of 4 costs us something like $11k per year. Far higher than I thought it was up here (admittedly most Canadians, myself included, don't tend to notice it as a cost of living) but still significantly less than 3k per month.

How does any normal working family afford that?

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
Thanks for sharing Steve as it's a good reminder that we all really need to be aware of tax policy when making business decisions.

It reminds me of the tax situation I had years ago...

1) Continue making six-figures monthly but be taxed 39% on it. (And from an asset I thought had declining value).
2) Or sell my business, make one big lump sum (accelerate the earnings to present value vs future value) and be taxed 20% on it.

When taking into account the "future value" of earnings, taxes, and the business outlook, it turned out to be the best decisions I ever made. ;)
Agreed. It also allowed you peace of mind and the ability to look at other options!

Thanks

Under-Dog

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
Jan 16, 2015
So.Cal
FYI for someone not living in Arizona... an O'care plan on the government marketplace is about $3,000/mo for a family of 5. If your household income is $100K/year (50k each spouse), more than half of your taxable income would go to health insurance. In other words, one parent is just working for health insurance, not only that, the health insurance is utter crap with $10K deductibles thrown in.

It continues to worsen every year... The benefits are horrible, you'd be surprised how many things are not covered under plans. Unfortunately, health care is so complex many people do not understand what they are signing up for. With deductibles up to $13k and $50 office visit copays.

How does any normal working family afford that?

Many don't. Some qualify for government assistance to help cover the charge but our President just did away with that in these last days. A lot go without insurance and pay the penalty come tax time.

My parents for example are on O'care, my mother is retired and my father clears roughly $45k. Yet their monthly premiums are almost $1k. With an $8k out of pocket maximum.

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
Trump making America great again, proud to be a snow Mexican up north!

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
Another reason why dual-citizenship isn't a bad idea.

When the government does something stupid and destroys an entire industry, you can have more options.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
We got lucky, renewal rates only up 10%. A couple of local companies got 100% increases. Not sure how they will continue to offer health benefits.

We used to pay 90%. After 12 years we are now going to pass this 10% on.

Am guessing it changes a few votes.

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia

mwp

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
186%
Dec 2, 2012
San Diego/Hong Kong
I'm on Obamacare in Southern CA...$350ish per month for a "gold" plan. Frankly it is some pretty shitty insurance--few doctors take it and months-long waiting lists for appointments. Zero tax breaks here. For comparison, I pay about $80/month for fairly decent international insurance when I'm not in the USA ($5MM cap).

I spoke to my doctor last night and he told me that many of his associates are actually firing patients in mass (for petty things like missing an appointment or being late) due to the large influx of people into the system as a result of Obamacare. Apparently they've figured out that this is a good opportunity to get new patients that don't miss appointments...

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
I spoke to my doctor last night and he told me that many of his associates are actually firing patients in mass (for petty things like missing an appointment or being late)
The doctors still need to pay for staff and other overhead while losing the income from the missed appointments. Being late jacks up the times for the people with subsequent appointments. I don't see these as petty.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.