The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

Taking action ! Need info regarding website building and software coding

Juan Pimentel

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Millionaire Fastlane
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Jul 10, 2019
Hey guys im taking action to gain more customers for my current business. Instead of paying for leads i’ll gain my own via website or landing page. I currently dont have a website and will start building one . Is there any free or low cost course where i can learn how to build a a website. And also a good course to learn graphic design. I cant hire anyone right now instead i will work after hours to learn this and put into action. Thank you in advance for your recommendations!

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

Vadim26

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Nov 23, 2018
Vancouver, BC.
Don’t overcomplicate it bro.

Step by step, problem by problem.
You don’t need a course / books to build a landing page.

Just find this on YouTube:

“How to create a free high converting landing page”

Follow the video and have yourself a landing page in less than an hour.

Are you looking to create a simple logo?
This should be $5-$10 max.

I am assuming you don’t want to spend days learning graphic design just for a simple task, so outsource.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Juan Pimentel

Juan Pimentel

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Jul 10, 2019
Don’t overcomplicate it bro.

Step by step, problem by problem.
You don’t need a course / books to build a landing page.

Just find this on YouTube:

“How to create a free high converting landing page”

Follow the video and have yourself a landing page in less than an hour.

Are you looking to create a simple logo?
This should be $5-$10 max.

I am assuming you don’t want spend days learning graphic design just for a simple task, so outsource.

Hope this helps.
Thank you for the video! And the graphic design is actually for my gf she wants to start a business where graphic design is a must

LittleWolfie

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
Jun 28, 2018
Holbeach Hurn
@Juan Pimentel

How will you drive visitors to your website or landing page?

What is your current buisness? What problem do you solve for whom? Do you not have a logo already? Are you a company or freelancer? What product or services are you looking to promote on the site? Just one or multiple?

Charnell

Super Nintendo, Sega Genesis
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Oct 12, 2014
South Dakota
I'm a big proponent of WordPress, but if all you're trying to do is set up a landing page or simple website (home page, about us, gallery, contact page, pricing) and want to get it up with the quickness, go with a page builder like Squarespace.

Danczyk

Contributor
Feb 20, 2019
Belarus
Why waste your time and money when you know you will have a mediocre product. Pay someone good and focus on the rest of your business. Pm me if you need more info I will at least try to help you some way. It's not a pitch by the way I'm not low cost.

Chris25

Bronze Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Aug 29, 2018
Europe
Hey!

Check out Alison Courses for a design course, and also try going to Youtube for specific things and further help. The Futur Academy is also a great channel for self-thought designers, she can find tons of videos and resources through them that will help her beyond just design.

As for yourself my advice is to stick with Wordpress if you have some time to learn and get the hang of it (which is not too hard if you have a good understanding of English and computers ), otherwise go to something like Wix which is easier, but it also costs more than regular hosting and is somewhat limited. Decide on what you want and go searching on the internet, there is a lot of videos, pages, and courses that will teach you how to use each platform.

Good luck : )

Charnell

Super Nintendo, Sega Genesis
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Oct 12, 2014
South Dakota
Why waste your time and money when you know you will have a mediocre product. Pay someone good and focus on the rest of your business. Pm me if you need more info I will at least try to help you some way. It's not a pitch by the way I'm not low cost.
Because in the original post they said they can't hire anyone right now. They don't need a custom solution, just something that works.

MHP368

the man, the myth, the Pseudo-Apollodorus
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Aug 17, 2016
Sahuarita AZ
Wordpress elementor is good but honestly you can pay someone in india 60 bucks and get a fast and professional looking site in like 2 days

OP
OP
Juan Pimentel

Juan Pimentel

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Jul 10, 2019
@Juan Pimentel

How will you drive visitors to your website or landing page?

What is your current buisness? What problem do you solve for whom? Do you not have a logo already? Are you a company or freelancer? What product or services are you looking to promote on the site? Just one or multiple?
I will be using Facebook since all my current customers are in that social media then anywhere else . I clean yards but im focusing my attention and resources to start doing hardscape project. And Irrigation problems. Such as water leaks new timers new systems . All this stuff have been requested by customers. Yes i have a logo the graphic design course is so i can create 3d blueprints for customers yard. And i will be promoting all this type of services and the other type of requests i get and aren’t worth my time i will sell them as leads to other landscaping companies

OP
OP
Juan Pimentel

Juan Pimentel

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Jul 10, 2019
I'm a big proponent of WordPress, but if all you're trying to do is set up a landing page or simple website (home page, about us, gallery, contact page, pricing) and want to get it up with the quickness, go with a page builder like Squarespace.
Thank you for your advice

OP
OP
Juan Pimentel

Juan Pimentel

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Jul 10, 2019
Wordpress elementor is good but honestly you can pay someone in india 60 bucks and get a fast and professional looking site in like 2 days
Do you know a website that connects me to this people

OP
OP
Juan Pimentel

Juan Pimentel

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Jul 10, 2019
Because in the original post they said they can't hire anyone right now. They don't need a custom solution, just something that works.
Yes we rather learn because we are going to keep using it

OP
OP
Juan Pimentel

Juan Pimentel

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Jul 10, 2019
Hey!

Check out Alison Courses for a design course, and also try going to Youtube for specific things and further help. The Futur Academy is also a great channel for self-thought designers, she can find tons of videos and resources through them that will help her beyond just design.

As for yourself my advice is to stick with Wordpress if you have some time to learn and get the hang of it (which is not too hard if you have a good understanding of English and computers ), otherwise go to something like Wix which is easier, but it also costs more than regular hosting and is somewhat limited. Decide on what you want and go searching on the internet, there is a lot of videos, pages, and courses that will teach you how to use each platform.

Good luck : )
Thank you so much this is very valuable! Good luck on your path

LittleWolfie

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
Jun 28, 2018
Holbeach Hurn
I will be using Facebook since all my current customers are in that social media then anywhere else . I clean yards but im focusing my attention and resources to start doing hardscape project. And Irrigation problems. Such as water leaks new timers new systems . All this stuff have been requested by customers.
So you are using facebook to drive customers to a website to convert them into leads,rather than just contacting them directly/using a facebook page?

Is this because you want control?

OP
OP
Juan Pimentel

Juan Pimentel

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Jul 10, 2019
So you are using facebook to drive customers to a website to convert them into leads,rather than just contacting them directly/using a facebook page?

Yes

Yes run ads ,get their info and needs ,if its worth it ill do the work if not sell the leads . Yes i need control. Im not a fan of fb but iknow my potential customers are their

MHP368

FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Aug 17, 2016
Sahuarita AZ

LittleWolfie

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
Jun 28, 2018
Holbeach Hurn
Okay, I'm unsure about good, but I have just recorded a video on loom for you @Juan Pimentel

What kind of website, do you get for that money? Either ridiculously cheap or very expensive.

MHP368

FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Aug 17, 2016
Sahuarita AZ
Okay, I'm unsure about good, but I have just recorded a video on loom for you @Juan Pimentel

What kind of website, do you get for that money? Either ridiculously cheap or very expensive.
Well theyre single page landing pages and yes , I generally have to pay someone else 20 or 30 bucks to tune them up for speed.

I have one lady that just charges hourly (10 bucks) but she requires at least 10 hours of work to take a contract , kind of unstable though so i'm not using her anymore.

Its cheap by western standards but my buddies had a web design agency since 2010 and he's been outsourcing the bulk of his work the entire time to third worlders. He charges 4k starting for a site.

Its not like these people have to reinvent html and css Everytime a web site is built , I'd be surprised if most of the high priced web builder solutions you find aren't just third world workers with a western face yo get you to pay.

You know what you get for 4k through him? A project manager. You get someone fluent in english to complain to and he promises to fix things as needed for the first year , but for those few email exchanges and then delegating the workload across the planet he gets to pocket quite a solid chunk of change. Sell the sizzle not the steak lol

LittleWolfie

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
Jun 28, 2018
Holbeach Hurn
Well theyre single page landing pages and yes , I generally have to pay someone else 20 or 30 bucks to tune them up for speed.

Its cheap by western standards but my buddies had a web design agency since 2010 and he's been outsourcing the bulk of his work the entire time to third worlders. He charges 4k starting for a site.
That is surprisingly expensive here in the north of England , the going rate from asking around is $32 a page . Of course those are just basic wordpress sites

You know what you get for 4k through him? A project manager. You get someone fluent in english to complain to and he promises to fix things as needed for the first year , but for those few email exchanges and then delegating the workload across the planet he gets to pocket quite a solid chunk of change. Sell the sizzle not the steak lol
That is perhaps how they do it here. I never thought about the value of having someone to complain to easily.

Its not like these people have to reinvent html and css Everytime a web site is built
It is the designing and content that take the time, who wants a mass produced website exactly the same as 300 others?

Perhaps some of them are heavily automated,the guy just plugs a flash of your content in types Sudo Sdb2 make website www.example.com and goes home,lol

Say @MHP368 how fast do you have them made, when you pay to get them speeded up?

Last edited:

LittleWolfie

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
Jun 28, 2018
Holbeach Hurn
Okay, @Juan Pimentel

Here you go.

I went in to wordpress, chose the second option (business) first I tried hardscaping as a search term then landscaping, ( I have no idea of the difference)

Choose the theme along the top, I went with calm. You can check the preview on computer and mobile.

I named it fastlanelandscape and picked the free package.since this is a demo.

You might want to spring for the £7 pcm or maybe you want to try it free.

Wordpress pages are built out of a series of blocks, I showed you how to change the text in the block.(I threw in a good SEO terms.
Scrolled up and down to give you an idea.

I showed how you could switch the joined blocks so you could have pic on right and text left instead of text right and pic left.

As you can see I ignored the feautred image(horrible bloat)

I resized the man with lawnmower making him smaller and bigger, to give you the idea.

None of those are really suitable, so I went and uploaded some pictures into the media library, then I updated the gardening pictures with those.

I left the man with laptop for contact us.

I entered the contact form details and the email subject line. I decided to add a second page as a contact form

At 13.14 , I have gone into the side menu, and you can see where to add your girlfirend's logo!

You cna also change the colours and other design feautres,(I left them as they are.

There is also a menu option. I decided to add some blocks, to show you how it works. (see how I can type butt and find the button element) I called it contact and linked to the contact page

I duplicated the button block, and then moved it down a little bit, I did this a few times. Spam with contact options. Then deleted the form option, since everything linked to my contact page.

I also made a link of the text from the contact form.

Then it is just dotting the I's and crossing the T's and launch.

Notice how you can export and import the site, really handy feature.

Here is the Loom video and here is the site

MHP368

FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Aug 17, 2016
Sahuarita AZ
Say @MHP368 how fast do you have them made, when you pay to get them speeded up?
24 to 48 hour turnaround just to make it load faster , ultimately i'd want one person who could build it , build it properly for seo and build it fast but right now those are seperate folks (but its so cheap it doesnt matter)

Still trying different folks though. I have this eastern european kid for backend who works for peanuts , 6 bucks an hour. Guys a whiz.

Tourmaline

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jun 4, 2019
Texas
If you just need a basic website, I'd probably just make something with SquareSpace. It's like $20/mo for their business service and you get a domain for like $10/yr from namecheap. Their website builder is pretty decent and they'll take care of hosting.

That's probably your fastest option.

If you need a shopping cart, shopify is like $30/mo.

However if you want to learn Wordpress that's a fine enough option too, although Wordpress is not really designed for what people use it for. It still works, but it's slow.

MHP368

FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Aug 17, 2016
Sahuarita AZ

Tourmaline

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jun 4, 2019
Texas
3 seconds is too long

LittleWolfie

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
Jun 28, 2018
Holbeach Hurn
3 seconds is too long

Devs know that

The hard part is selling more revenue via better load times.

The best load time is static pages with text.
(Hey I wonder if this is why chatbots are hot)

Then, static pages with greyscale images cached onto aws, then next gen images cached aws, then just standard next gen images,then normal images.

Everyone wants video and fancy JS bloat, because they prioritise the website looking good over generating more revenue.

Reactions: Kid

Leo Hendrix

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
Apr 15, 2014
Hey guys im taking action to gain more customers for my current business. Instead of paying for leads i’ll gain my own via website or landing page. I currently dont have a website and will start building one . Is there any free or low cost course where i can learn how to build a a website. And also a good course to learn graphic design. I cant hire anyone right now instead i will work after hours to learn this and put into action. Thank you in advance for your recommendations!
EasyWP on namecheap - $1 first month then $3.88 per month. It comes with a free Logo Designer.

It might take a little time installing and activating plugins and whatnot but you can get things going faster.

OP
OP
Juan Pimentel

Juan Pimentel

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Jul 10, 2019
Hey guys can you critique my landing page. Let me know what type of add ons i can do to make it better
Mysite 2

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Sponsored Offers

Lex DeVille's - Advanced Freelance Udemy Courses!
-- HALLOWEEN SPECIAL STARTS TODAY! Get any of my courses at Udemy's current best price through Friday! Use code: HALLOWEEN Use any of the links...
Top Bottom