The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Taking a site from 50 people a day to 10,000 a day - in 1 year

accelerator

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
3%
Mar 25, 2011
Started a new site a little bit ago, have been letting it age just a little (and was working on other sites). Figured keeping a public record of my work would keep me focused and maybe help some people.

About the site: It's a weight loss site, going to be building an email list with aweber with it, and also selling weight loss products on the site. The goal is to get 10k people a day 1 year ( 80% must be search engine traffic) from now, and to be making at least 500+ a day from it.

Current date----------Current hits a day

March 26th, 2011 -------------------- 50

Future Goals

May 1st - 250 hits a day
June 1st - 500 hits a day
July 1st - 800 hits a day
Aug 1st- 1200 hits a day

Site stats as of March 26th

36 Posts
880 Links in Yahoo
1200 links in Google - from 250 unique domains

How I plan to build links and get visitors:

- Add at least one post a day ( Writing the content myself)
- Built a lot of links from a lot of different places ( A lot of outsourcing)
- High quality links will be built by myself

Current seo budget: $500
Spent so far: $209

Will use 100% of site profit to go back into the seo budget

Rankings for keywords

Keyword #1 - Rank 8 ( 13k hits a month)
Keyword #2 - Rank 9 ( 12k hits a month)

I will do big updates monthly, and small updates weekly.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

accelerator

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
3%
Mar 25, 2011
1 week update

41 posts
941 links in yahoo
Same links in google

Site traffic is about 60 a day now. Today I just ranked on a keyword I did not even go for. And the keyword has more traffic than my keyword 1 and 2 combined. I ranked for it in yahoo go figure. My traffic today is about 90 people, expect to reach 150 by the end of today. Although not sure if my position will be pushed back or not, hopefully it will stay at number #3 in Yahoo.

My site stats from last week: imgur: the simple image sharer

Site stats this week: imgur: the simple image sharer

Keyword #1 rank 7
Keyword #2 rank 7

Goal for next week 100+ people a day. And keywords to be position 5 or under.

Graves

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jan 31, 2011
Weight loss site ? oO
Do you provide something different from the other weight loss sites ? Or is this mainly SEO work

accelerator

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
3%
Mar 25, 2011
Only high quality information at the moment. Looking for idea's to diversify it a little though. Site's moving up the ranks because of seo work mostly, and I am getting a few return visitors.

Flatlander

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Dec 28, 2010
South Dakota
I have boatloads of weight loss traffic. Leave me PM and *maybe* we can do a link swap or something. No promises but I'll look at it.

Rich

accelerator

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
3%
Mar 25, 2011
I have boatloads of weight loss traffic. Leave me PM and *maybe* we can do a link swap or something. No promises but I'll look at it.

Rich

Thanks for the offer rich, I'll pass on it from now though especially since my site has little to offer in Page rank and traffic.

----------------------------

Also todays traffic hit 190 which is nearly four times since last week. Although I did drop on the yahoo keyword, which was expect. I am looking for 100+ visitors tomorrow hopefully. Optimizing my site more, building more links and more content, hopefully I can double my traffic in a week or so.

Flatlander

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Dec 28, 2010
South Dakota
Okay, let me know if you change your mind.

accelerator

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
3%
Mar 25, 2011
This week's report

All my keywords have been pushed back 100+ positions I now rank for nothing practically

Keyword 1 position 107
Keyword 2 position 110

This week my traffic was about 150-200 people a day, about 2 days ago my keyword ranks tanked now am getting 20-30 people a day. When I was getting 150-200 people a day I was getting a sale every day, so I made back $200 that I spent on seo.

Currently I am writing more articles and building more and more links, I hope to regain all my ranks within a week or two and come out even better.

Progress picture: http://i.imgur.com/6hCHp.jpg
Analytics picture: http://i.imgur.com/Xlmt0.jpg

Got to love seo, you never know how badly things can go in a few hours. I am not surprised by my ranking drop, since my site has been getting a lot of links and posts, pretty much right now I have 1/2 of the links my competition has and their sites are 2 years+ old while mine has the half of their links in only 2 months of hardcore seo.

Anyone have any experiences with there site dropping like this ?

The Intrepid

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Apr 9, 2011
If you have a new domain name and you're building links that fast without a proper distribution of high PR links as well as news syndicated backlinks you run the risk of being sandboxed... Your link profile will be muddied by all of the garbage links if you focus too much on forum spam and blog comment spam.

G's algorithm takes <div> tag placement in relation to backlinks into account to discern blog comment spam. I think it was one of the many updates that occurred during the google farmer update.

My advice to you is to focus on quality more than quantity backlinks. Short tail is nice, but long tail builds wealth.

Sincerely, former SEO agency owner.

accelerator

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
3%
Mar 25, 2011
Hey thanks for the advice, this was my seo done so far.

Site is about 4 months old, back-linking for only maybe two months, 1 month serious

150+ Do follow social bookmarking (digg,reddit, etc)
1k+ Blog posts on blogs ranging from 0pr to 4 pr ( in content links, with 70%+ spun content) Different C class ips, and very well diversified.
500+ Article posts on article directories ranging from 0pr to 6 pr ( 35+% spun content)
Site wide link on 5+ sites with page ranks of 1 to 4
Blog posts on high quality related sites with PR of 3+

My seo strategy is pretty grayhat I would say, I build a lot of high quality links in related sites by guest blogging etc. I haven't comment spammed with scrapbox/ or used any xrummer's profile link type of things. Currently I am losing to a site ( Position 5) with 150 links, and the links are spammed out xrummer profile links, got to love Google's algorithm, its like a retarded goat.

The Intrepid

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Apr 9, 2011
How many exact match searches per month?

What's the PR and domain age of the top five pages?

healthstatus

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Apr 11, 2011
Indianapolis, IN USA
Having more traffic is nice, but having more conversion is better. 10,000 visitors a day is going to make you $40-$80 a day in adsense. At this point and this size, work on your sales funnel and figure out how to make $150 a day from your 50 visitors, then scale it.

accelerator

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
3%
Mar 25, 2011
Having more traffic is nice, but having more conversion is better. 10,000 visitors a day is going to make you $40-$80 a day in adsense. At this point and this size, work on your sales funnel and figure out how to make $150 a day from your 50 visitors, then scale it.

I don't use adsense it's not worth it, especially in my niche. For every 150 visitors or so I earn about $30-40 dollars. Without even an email list, when I build my email list I would expect more. With adsense on the other hand I earn about $5 with 150 visitors. Good advice though, conversion is what matters. 1k people a day and 10% conversion is better to get than 10k people a day and 1% conversion.

accelerator

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
3%
Mar 25, 2011
Links in yahoo 946
Links in Google 2850 ( site wide links bring up this number)

Keyword positions- My keywords have been going up and down wildly, from position 50 to position 700, changing daily. Haven't build much links or content since last week, been really busy. My main page was the page ranking highly for the keywords, and it's been completely wiped from the rankings, so am going to go back to it and change stuff around like adding new content and making sure it's legit.

My daily traffic has been around 20-30 people highly un-targeted ( coming in for random keywords, that were not intended)

This weeks stats:

http://i.imgur.com/0dp0q.jpg

accelerator

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
3%
Mar 25, 2011
Good news, all my keywords jumped to the top of the serps, 100+ positions, my traffic is back to the 100+ range.

Keyword 1 position #4
Keyword 2 position #5

Hoping to get these keywords to #1 each this week, that should get me 200-300 people via Google.

I am also ranking for another 2 keywords which bring in about 10k people ( position 15-20 ) so not bad.

Stats have improved:

http://i.imgur.com/Ys9ZF.jpg

Had a few bumps in the road ( Google algo update screwed things up for everyone it seems) everything is fine now, hope traffic keeps growing.

joanna

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
152%
Apr 14, 2011
Reading/London, UK
I'm in the dieting nieche (quite specialized) as well and about 5k visits per day makes me £50+ in adsense, without it being pushed too hard on my visitors.

If you avoid adsense is it your own product you're selling or something else? Looking to diversify my income streams too :)

Curious about your traffic, do the latest stats mean you achieved your goals early, or am I misreading something?

accelerator

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
3%
Mar 25, 2011
I'm in the dieting nieche (quite specialized) as well and about 5k visits per day makes me £50+ in adsense, without it being pushed too hard on my visitors.

If you avoid adsense is it your own product you're selling or something else? Looking to diversify my income streams too :)

Curious about your traffic, do the latest stats mean you achieved your goals early, or am I misreading something?

I am promoting someone else's product and cpa offers at the moment. I haven't reached my goal since my traffic tanked in the middle of the month, but I have taken traffic from 50 people to a day to 150 this month. I have less then 5 days to reach my goal of 250 people a day.

5k traffic a day is amazing in the diet/weight loss niche, you should be making ALOT more.

Do you have an email list? If so how big is it, with an email list you can push quality offers to your visitors and increase your sales. Also your revenue depends on the quality of your traffic, if your ranking your site on "how to lose weight fast" etc you should have no problem easily converting people into buyers.

If you don't mind you can pm your site link and ill pm you some products which you can promote that are suitable for your traffic. Or you can join a CPA network/clickbank and see for yourself.

Also the pictures are from my Google webmasters account and not analytics so it goes by the number of impressions and not clicks. So even though I get 8k impressions a day my site is only clicked on 50-200 times ( traffic)

If you have any tips for building traffic they would be appreicated:hurray:

joanna

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
152%
Apr 14, 2011
Reading/London, UK
I've sent you a PM.

Do have a list, but only started sending out stuff to it recently, at the moment it serves more as an update newsletter to get people to come back to the site, not really selling anything.

It's not quite "how to lose weight fast", so not all traffic is buyers.

Tried clickbank before got a few sales per week, but it wasn't really well aligned with my site. I try to focus on honesty and genuine content, while the ebook was let's say the typical clickbank product ;) But I thought I can keep it advert style not emphasizing it too much. That is until the author of the original book on this diet contacted me enquiring about ways of reaching the ebook author about copyright issues... (I've got a connection to the original author via a shared colleague)

Also the pictures are from my Google webmasters account and not analytics so it goes by the number of impressions and not clicks. So even though I get 8k impressions a day my site is only clicked on 50-200 times ( traffic)

Ah, that would explain. Was trying to figure out where in analytics would you get a report looking like that ;) However 8k impressions out of even 200 clicks, that's what 20 pageviews per person? :O

As for tips, with my site I haven't actually done much. Just happened to hit a need, and providing genuine content, as well as answering sometimes stupid questions ;) turns out was enough for other people to do the promoting for me. I've done a few SEO tweaks, but not really excessively, so I know I have still a bit of work to do on that front once I'm done with some other projects. it helps to differentiate yourself from competition, and to use social networks - but I think if you abuse the latter one it could harm you in the long run, so should eb careful with that.

accelerator

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
3%
Mar 25, 2011
I've sent you a PM.

Do have a list, but only started sending out stuff to it recently, at the moment it serves more as an update newsletter to get people to come back to the site, not really selling anything.

It's not quite "how to lose weight fast", so not all traffic is buyers.

Tried clickbank before got a few sales per week, but it wasn't really well aligned with my site. I try to focus on honesty and genuine content, while the ebook was let's say the typical clickbank product ;) But I thought I can keep it advert style not emphasizing it too much. That is until the author of the original book on this diet contacted me enquiring about ways of reaching the ebook author about copyright issues... (I've got a connection to the original author via a shared colleague)

Ah, that would explain. Was trying to figure out where in analytics would you get a report looking like that ;) However 8k impressions out of even 200 clicks, that's what 20 pageviews per person? :O

As for tips, with my site I haven't actually done much. Just happened to hit a need, and providing genuine content, as well as answering sometimes stupid questions ;) turns out was enough for other people to do the promoting for me. I've done a few SEO tweaks, but not really excessively, so I know I have still a bit of work to do on that front once I'm done with some other projects. it helps to differentiate yourself from competition, and to use social networks - but I think if you abuse the latter one it could harm you in the long run, so should eb careful with that.

Definetly going to try and get more social networking traffic, and direct, since no one likes being controlled by Google :eusa_naughty:

Checked out your site, it looks great. I definitely think you should be able to double your daily income. I subscribed to a bunch of diet/weight loss sites ( to see how other people promote their products) and it seems to be the norm to send emails 1-2 times per week. One email as free information and another promoting a product.

If you use something like aweber you should set automated message when people sign up, and work people up to purchasing a product. Your traffic will be harder to convert then my, since your traffic is most likely not in the "right mood" ( searching for freebies and ( and not desperate ). Also am not sure but I assume most of your traffic is long tail like, "Good weight loss book for diabetics over 40 " or something like that? ( around 3-5 word keywords) this traffic is usually harder to convert ( for me anyway)

Your best bet is to make your own Ebook for sure, then promote it.

Also I wish I had 8k impressions, the 8k impressions is how much times my site is shown on Google. Out of 8k times my site is shown, only about 100-200 people click on it. And my page views are about 2-3. Here's an analytics picture:

http://i.imgur.com/5cFcp.jpg

joanna

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
152%
Apr 14, 2011
Reading/London, UK
I guess I'm kind of warming them up now while I get my own ebook written ;)

Actually most of my searches are the diet name (exact phrase 40%), diet name + recipes, and similar followed by long tail for individual recipes. That said searches make up 63.8% (today's stat) of my traffic source.

Any ways I'm not sure if the site is entirely scalable as with it being that specific there's a limited audience. :)

As for social, I'm thinking of making a facebook app, but it's one of those things when I have the technical skills, but not quite a concept of what the app should do. So need more research in that area...

joanna

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
152%
Apr 14, 2011
Reading/London, UK
sure, its scalable, just repeat with a different diet program.

You're probably right about that, though I think I'm to honest for my own good. Would find it hard to promote/sell things I don't believe in myself or haven't tried myself or at least seen results from a friend or something ;)

Thinking of scaling up though, rather than a different diet will try to go for the whole low carb group. :)

joanna

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
152%
Apr 14, 2011
Reading/London, UK
Update- This week I hit around 230 people in one day and was consistently above 150+, Yesterday my traffic tanked again. All my serp positions are back 100+ places. The whole front page keeps constantly shuffling. I am going to build some more links and try hitting #1.

http://i.imgur.com/5DD30.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/8qsqE.jpg

Don't worry too much, "dieting traffic" often sinks on Fridays (+weekends), plus the Royal Wedding probably shares some of your target audience ;)

accelerator

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
3%
Mar 25, 2011
Don't worry too much, "dieting traffic" often sinks on Fridays (+weekends), plus the Royal Wedding probably shares some of your target audience ;)

I wish, traffic tanked because my keyword positions got pushed from positions 4-5 to positions 100+ . If traffic fell and I was still at those positions It would be fine with me.

accelerator

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
3%
Mar 25, 2011
traffic is around 70 a day range now. Main rankings are still doing very poorly. I expect rankings to recover within the next few days. As for site work, haven't build any links in a week or posted content. Really need to do some work.

Here's the stat picture: http://i.imgur.com/dqUU9.jpg

This weeks plan: Write 5 posts + build some links

accelerator

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
3%
Mar 25, 2011
Been a while since I updated. I haven't given up yet, but the last Google panda updated destroyed my site. Was in sandbox for a good month. Haven't been building links/content, which I should have been doing. My site seems to have recovered from the panda on it's own though; so here the update:

http://i.imgur.com/9k8tb.jpg

Hope it stays steady, plan on blasting a ton of links + content to it soon.

valuegiver

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Aug 18, 2010
You may want to change your goal to 50 paying customers to 10,000 paying customers instead of 50 visitors to 10,000 visitors.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.