The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Survival Horror App Progress

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

DaRK9

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
May 23, 2014
Stopped Progress For Now

I've realized that apps are not a golden ticket. I want real business with a model, not a hobby project. As fun as this has been so far. I will not be putting any extra time into it. Also to anyone curious visual apps are expensive as all hell to make unless you can code. Then you pay in time.

I have an vision for an app, I got the idea using idea extraction which I first saw in Dane Maxwell's video. I got this from one college student, then started asking more students and the final response from almost all was "Yes, I would pay for that."

Update
I have changed app ideas as this one has gotten more feedback and has more update/paid content potential. It runs in the horror genre. Soon as I have the promo video/website I will post it here.

This thread is mostly for me to keep track and have some accountability. However if anyone has advice please feel free to post. This forum and TFL book has helped me inexplicably so far.

General Goals

1. Create the App
2. Done or in final stages by July 4th

Actions Needed Before Launch

Join INSIDERS by end of this week. ✓ 6/6/14
Flowchart of App menu and functions. ✓ 6/6/14
Listing of functions and layout. ✓ 6/8/14
Brainstorm name of App.
Create 90 second video explaining app. Post to YouTube.
UI Wire-frame of App. Started - 6/8/14
Create landing page to test market and build an email list for launch. Offer App free to first 20 emails.
Drive traffic to landing page via Facebook Ads.
Quote from Freelance iOS App developers. Preferably a team with a in-house Graphic Designer.
If optimal Developer doesn't have a Graphic Designer, find one.
Start design and development process.
Keep potential customers updated via Social Media and email list through-out entire process.
Contact Bloggers/YouTubers in niche for possible promo codes.
Final Testing.

Actions Needed At/After Launch

LAUNCH! Place App on App Store. (Research best days/time for listing to store.)
Email Promo App codes to App bloggers in niche.
Email everyone in list that the app is out with link to App in Store.
Gift app to first 20 people on email list.
Run Facebook Ads directly to App.
Take feedback and improve App.

Expenditures

Props
Mask - $10
Website
Template - $9​

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

DaRK9

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
May 23, 2014
Using Asana to manage tasks.
Added a Team Member. Family member with PMP Cert. to help overlook everything and develop the UI frame with me.

twdavis

The Danger
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Jul 20, 2013
Good stuff. I'm currently in the process of getting my app developed too. I'm trying to work on the graphics myself. I have SOME photoshop skills, but not a lot. I may end up outsourcing this.

I'm developing a social app that I think will catch fire for a multitude of reasons, but I could definitely be wrong. We will see.

I'm going to start a progress thread once my app is in full development but I've actually got about 75% the same task list as you.

Good luck man! This is exciting stuff!

DaRK9

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
May 23, 2014
@twdavis Never know until you do it right? That's my thinking on this. So far 20+ people have said hands down they would pay for it. I can do the graphics, but I'm not 100% on graphics for mobile Apps. We shall see what happens.
@Jkeenum Thanks! I think having this thread will help keep me motivated for sure.

Update:
Asana is setup with all tasks that I have listed so far.
Rough draft of end user menu is complete. I want to have as much info ready for the Developers as I can.
Realized I need to figure out a name in order to make a landing page and video. Time to let it sift about in my head until I find it.

Last edited:

UsmaanJ

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Feb 10, 2014
London, United Kingdom
I'm joining you on this bandwagon!! On the hunt for some developers myself too!

Where are you trying to search for them? Using online portals? Any specific country you want them to be based in?

DaRK9

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
May 23, 2014
I'm joining you on this bandwagon!! On the hunt for some developers myself too!

Where are you trying to search for them? Using online portals? Any specific country you want them to be based in?
eLance is the main one for right now. I would rather US but sometimes that is expensive. Really I just want who will do the best job. I'm narrowing down potential Developers by their bios. I know someone personally who knows app programing, but I don't know to what extent.

DaRK9

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
May 23, 2014
Update

User interface is mapped out in a flow chart.
About 15% of the data needed is researched to create the functions.

G

GuestUser113

Are you doing the ui wireframe yourself? If so, what tools are you using?

Phantom309

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Feb 23, 2010
Panama City,FL
Best of luck to you. I'm in the process of getting my app development software set up so I can make apps. I have an idea for an app that will be a good learning experience for me.

I don't have any coding experience but I'm willing to learn. Keep us up to date on how it goes.

DaRK9

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
May 23, 2014
Best of luck to you. I'm in the process of getting my app development software set up so I can make apps. I have an idea for an app that will be a good learning experience for me.

I don't have any coding experience but I'm willing to learn. Keep us up to date on how it goes.
I will. I don't know anything about App coding. Only HTML and PHP, and even then I don't know that much. I'll get as much as I can done before I need a Dev. I'm not going to bother with learning to code because I know its not my thing and I don't have a Mac. I do know its much easier to write Apps on a Mac.

Good luck on your App too!

Update

No work tonight so it's going to be a late one. I want the function list done and some more data research to further define functions later.
Going to be an INSIDERS by tonight, Woo!

Phantom309

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Feb 23, 2010
Panama City,FL
@DIrishKelley I've heard the same about writing apps on a mac. The first app I want to write is one that I can use at my current job for my scheduled inspections. In my minds eye it doesn't seem to be that hard, but by the time I get it done I may be in a looney bin.

Awesome on the INSIDERS. That's on my to do list in the near future.

SGBoise

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
Jan 21, 2014
Watching... So can you tell me the idea? Promise I won't steal it :troll:

DaRK9

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
May 23, 2014
Watching... So can you tell me the idea? Promise I won't steal it :troll:
A niche camera App for college Hipsters.
@DIrishKelley I've heard the same about writing apps on a mac. The first app I want to write is one that I can use at my current job for my scheduled inspections. In my minds eye it doesn't seem to be that hard, but by the time I get it done I may be in a looney bin.

Awesome on the INSIDERS. That's on my to do list in the near future.
Yeah, plus I just really don't enjoy programming. At all. Get it outsourced man! Some apps are simple and cheap to have made.

Update

I'm an INSIDERS now! I can cross that off the list. Tonnes of useful info in there. (Yes, tonnes.)

Last edited:

DaRK9

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
May 23, 2014
Update

All functions are listed. Just started wireframing UI. Still doing camera tests.

DaRK9

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
May 23, 2014
Update

Getting content ready for someone on Fivver to make a short (90 second )info video. Still need to come up with the name so I can get a domain.

Fibonachos

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Jun 9, 2014
Isle of Man
Love your enthusiasm IrishKelley. I am learning to write an app for apple, I saw a video by Allen Wong on YouTube about making apps and thought I'd give it a go. I'm having a bit of internal dialogue about whether to quit my job cos I'm so tired after work but you seem to be getting it on the go that quickly you'll make enough money to seamlessly transfer to doing your'e own thing. Do you have any tips or resources from where you developed your launch strategy? It's pretty good :)

DaRK9

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
May 23, 2014
Love your enthusiasm IrishKelley. I am learning to write an app for apple, I saw a video by Allen Wong on YouTube about making apps and thought I'd give it a go. I'm having a bit of internal dialogue about whether to quit my job cos I'm so tired after work but you seem to be getting it on the go that quickly you'll make enough money to seamlessly transfer to doing your'e own thing. Do you have any tips or resources from where you developed your launch strategy? It's pretty good :)
Not really. Just from games/movies and other products that had successful launches.

Update
Upon realizing that Fivver is a total waste of time, I've decided to make my own video and use eLance for the editing. No-one there can create their own videos beyond the premade templates they have.
I've also had a switch in ideas for the app. This idea has gotten better results and a better target audience range.

DaRK9

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
May 23, 2014
Update
Just ordered the props and everything I need for the promo video. Nothing fancy, but I still want some decent video for it to get sign ups.

Did video tests, writing script and outline. Buying domain today.

Last edited:

DaRK9

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
May 23, 2014
Update
Squeeze(sign-up) page version one is done. I'm going to run 3 pages on one site, showing the app in a different light to see which sub-niche reacts better. Using a horror trailer for design testing until my video is ready.
k2ehzn.png

@MJ DeMarco could you move this to INSIDERS? I feel I might get better feedback later on from there.
Thank you!

Last edited:

DaRK9

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
May 23, 2014
Update
Ended up scrapping original landing page. Going for a full responsive layout. Takes more time; but if you are going to do it, do it right.

DaRK9

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
May 23, 2014
Update
DO YOUR BEST! Reminding myself to put 100% into this and not slack.

nf5xmf.png

Joe Cassandra

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
509%
Jul 25, 2013
Woodstock, GA

MattCour

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Aug 17, 2012
NY
Good luck bro!! I personally know 2 friends that have made niche photo/camera apps and have crushed it so far!! Whatever you do, make sure you add value and have some good IAPs to make money from..

DaRK9

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
May 23, 2014
Keep it up Damon!
Thanks man! I've been trying to snowball this to keep on a roll, but still do quality work.

Good luck bro!! I personally know 2 friends that have made niche photo/camera apps and have crushed it so far!! Whatever you do, make sure you add value and have some good IAPs to make money from..
That's why I switched from my first camera idea to this one - which is still a camera niche. This one has endless possibilities for IAPs.

@MJ DeMarco I know you get tagged in lots of stuff, but could you do me a huge favor and move this to the INSIDERS Progress thread?
Thanks!

Last edited:

DaRK9

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
May 23, 2014
Nice progress!
Thanks! It's getting there. Webiste is mostly done, just waiting on props for the promo video.

Update
First prop is here.
2i0cgh1.jpg

Last edited:

Brentnal

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Jan 23, 2013
Netherlands/Sidewalk
Is it a good idea to hire some indian coder/programmer to make the app for you? I can't code and i tryed it but i don't really like to do it. But it is one of the fastest ways to earn alot of money because the business is on the internet.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.