The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Surpri$e - I became an affiliate marketer by accident

Marketing, social media, advertising

TenMillion

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
54%
Sep 20, 2015
Hey guys,

Over a year ago I started a fitness blog with a partner. We produced around 150 high quality articles and interviewed a lot of big influencers (world champions in many sports etc.)

We perfected a process of reaching out to these pros an offering them exposure traffic on our blog. A win/win type deal.

Initially, we had created the blog to offer value through our expertise in this area and sell products and services off of our blog.

So far so good but an interesting thing has happened.

Once of the influencers we interviewed (former world champion) had started a product line of expensive specialized sports equipment. He sent over a sample and we wrote a blog article in return.

The owner was very pleased and asked for further marketing services.

I sent him a formal proposal outlying what we could offer with pricing.

Unfortunately he was strapped for cash (new born baby and medical issues/hospital bills) so we settled on 3 units of a product that retails for approx 500 USD per piece and 15% of all comissions from any sales generated through our advertising.

We have a LOTTT of traffic and he provided us with a code that people can use when they phone in.

Just like that, I have found myself as an affiliate marketer (granted this is my first deal)

We worked hard on his content and we will be releasing as soon as the units are received..

My question is:

Is there some way we can use an affiliate marketing link through a website service? Something that tracks all sales through our blog links and escrows the 15% commission for us?

I would feel way more comfortable going forward instead of relying on his word that he will pay us 15% commission on every phoned in order (no way to track it)

Hope that you guys with experience could have some valuable insights...

Either way still pumped for this surpri$e deal!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
343%
May 21, 2011
Lol, the way you wrote it just makes it seem like your getting hustled by an experienced guy.

Bottom line, traffic doesn't mean shit in this life. Only thing that matters is conversions. Not click conversions, dollar conversions.

Ps. He already forgot your name. Goodluck

Charnell

Block me if you're a quack
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Oct 12, 2014
Kansas City
Lol, the way you wrote it just makes it seem like your getting hustled by an experienced guy.

Bottom line, traffic doesn't mean shit in this life. Only thing that matters is conversions. Not click conversions, dollar conversions.

Ps. He already forgot your name. Goodluck
Agreed.

A few months ago I got an email out of nowhere to advertise for a new company on one of my websites. Hell yeah, it has only been a few months and we're already getting a name out there. Shit, the guy and I even hopped on Skype to talk about our businesses.

Then, after a pair of weeks of recommending them on my highest traffic pages and on the partner's page, I decided to see how things are going. I gotta see how much traffic I'm sending his way, how many are converting into customers.

This man ghosted me. Zero replies. E-mail, Skype, whatever.

Lesson learned the easy way, though.

Moral of my story: instead of getting a commission, get a flat rate per month. There is no way to get burned by them ("you" sold 100 units, they only pay you for 40) and you don't advertise if they don't pay.

We worked hard on his content and we will be releasing as soon as the units are received..
F*ck that. Next time make them write it then tweak it to your liking. Make sure to include that the post is an advertisement or the FTC make give you the ol' right there Fred.

deepestblue

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
52%
Jun 11, 2011
Arizona
There are plenty of affiliate tracking software solutions out there. If you plan on going ahead with more deals like the one you mentioned, you may want to use one of them - they track clicks and orders.

TenMillion

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
54%
Sep 20, 2015
There are plenty of affiliate tracking software solutions out there. If you plan on going ahead with more deals like the one you mentioned, you may want to use one of them - they track clicks and orders.

Can you recommend some? It's not too late for us to utilize this... The content isn't published yet

IamWebber

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jul 14, 2016
Can you recommend some? It's not too late for us to utilize this... The content isn't published yet
Prosper 202 used to be free, not sure if it is anymore.

Voluum starts at $99 per month

I have used both and both are pretty good and will do what you need.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.