The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Supplement Product Liability Insurance - What do I actually need?

Paul Thomas

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Jul 9, 2013
I'm starting out on my fastlane path very soon. I've determined the niche I want to go in, and how I'm going to serve it. There is only a handful of manufacturers that will create the blend I want without requiring MOQ of 1,000+ (I'm just starting out with semi-limited funding).

There is a particular manufacturer that I'd really like to use, I've spoken to them on the phone and asked numerous questions, done my research and they are 1) reputable 2) seem like good people 3) have good products. The one issue I see is that they don't provide "umbrella insurance" to you since they aren't a massive institutional manufacturer. I'm going to call them in several hours to be sure but when I first spoke to them they said we provide "Certificate of Manufacture", and "Add on Insurance (or something of that notion)", but you would "need your own policy".

I know insurance is very important with consumables so have a couple questions:

1) This is my first venture and I don't have an LLC/S-Corp registered yet because I haven't sold anything and plan to sell on Amazon - should I do this first given the nature of the product?
2) Does the above sound like I need to get my own product liability insurance, or would it be best to scavenge for new suppliers that will get me under their plan?

Thanks!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Hypothetical question...

You don't get insurance.
You sell your products on Amazon and someone is killed or injured.
They blame your product and want to sue you and the manufacturer for $10M.

Would that be the right time to get an LLC and insurance?

Paul Thomas

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Jul 9, 2013
Thanks guys and fully understand the importance of having insurance. I guess the better way to word my concern is what do I actually need to cover myself in a small scale supplement business. Ie. What are options that manufacturers can offer that will be sufficient, and what is not sufficient. Probably a bit of a complex question to cover via a forum post.

Edit: And I will definitely be registering an LLC before selling product.

TTG SS

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Sep 3, 2014
Scottsdale, AZ
I am surprised any state side manufacturer would even consider selling to you if you aren't legally a business

mikey3times

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
218%
Jun 21, 2013
Massachusetts
Last edited by a moderator:

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
what do I actually need to cover myself in a small scale supplement business. Ie. What are options that manufacturers can offer that will be sufficient, and what is not sufficient.

Are you listening to yourself?

Again, if you kill someone do you think the attorney representing the victim GIVES A FLYING F*CK YOU ARE A 'SMALL SCALE SUPPLEMENT BUSINESS?'

Attorney: You killed a family member of my client. We are going to sue you for $10 million.
You: I'm just a small-scale supplement business.
Attorney: Oh, I didn't know that. OK, we will drop the lawsuit.

In my non-professional, non-lawyer opinion, a wronged party will not just go after the manufacturer, they will go after YOU. I can't see in anyway how a manufacturer's policy will bleed over to cover your negligence unless you receive an "additional insured" certificate from the manu.

People, for the love of God, stop with the freaking shortcuts. Do it right or don't do it at all.

** THE ABOVE REPRESENTS AN HYPOTHETICAL OPINION and SHOULD NOT BE CONSTRUED AS LEGAL ADVICE.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I've recommended this resource for business insurance before...

BizInsure.com -- and within 15 seconds of visiting, they have a category for "home-based supplement businesses."

Paul Thomas

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Jul 9, 2013
I've recommended this resource for business insurance before...

BizInsure.com -- and within 15 seconds of visiting, they have a category for "home-based supplement businesses."

This is great, thank you!!

To be clear also, I wasn't trying to downplay the importance of insurance I just wasn't sure if there different types of coverage needed for different scale businesses - but this website should answer that, thanks! Also, "unless you receive an "additional insured" certificate from the manu." is the information I needed so that I can call various manufacturers and screen them with this requirement.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Also, "unless you receive an "additional insured" certificate from the manu." is the information I needed so that I can call various manufacturers and screen them with this requirement.

This is my guess and an opinion. I don't even know if manufacturers even provide such things to their clients. I'm not an attorney so don't be so willingly accepting of my opinions as facts and/or actual legal recommendations. They are NOT. My point is, this is not something to "think about later."

Remnant

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Oct 9, 2015
Are you listening to yourself?

Again, if you kill someone do you think the attorney representing the victim GIVES A FLYING F*CK YOU ARE A 'SMALL SCALE SUPPLEMENT BUSINESS?'

Attorney: You killed a family member of my client. We are going to sue you for $10 million.
You: I'm just a small-scale supplement business.
Attorney: Oh, I didn't know that. OK, we will drop the lawsuit.

In my non-professional, non-lawyer opinion, a wronged party will not just go after the manufacturer, they will go after YOU. I can't see in anyway how a manufacturer's policy will bleed over to cover your negligence unless you receive an "additional insured" certificate from the manu.

People, for the love of God, stop with the freaking shortcuts. Do it right or don't do it at all.

** THE ABOVE REPRESENTS AN HYPOTHETICAL OPINION and SHOULD NOT BE CONSTRUED AS LEGAL ADVICE.

keeping us new guys honest -- brutal honesty appreciated.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.