The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Suggestions Thread

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Think it through first then and then post what ever you get stuck on. Legitimate, well researched questions rarely get flamed.

Rule of thumb... if you can google it, don't ask someone to google it for you. People here are generally helpful, especially when it's evident that you value their time.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
book reviews?

I know that we have all read great books. I suggest we have a section where we can post reviews/comments for books we have read. This could help to answer those common questions about books recommendation and will help us to exchange ideas about what book to read next.

I promise to collaborate with at least one book review.

Andres

Z5 FILMS

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Aug 13, 2007
The Woodlands, TX
I like the idea of a book section. Also maybe different sections for e-business and B&M. I'm not for a chat section. It's fine if you're 21 and trying to "e-mack". But it leaves nothing for others to read.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Re: New Catagory

Hey MJ,

I would love to see a catagory "Problem Solver" or something similar.

I belong to a real estate professional group that gets together a few times a year. At these gatherings, there is always a "brainstorming" session in which 2 to 5 people present their REALLY BIG REAL ESTATE PROBLEMS.... and everyone in the room brainstorms possible solutions. It is really an amazing experience. The "out of the box" ideas that come from these sessions are mind-expanding.

You have to be courageous enough to say - "this is the crap I've dug myself into" and "help" and it is comforting to hear some supportive brainstorming from people that have been there or somewhere similar.

The road to riches isn't a constant incline. We all suffer set backs and failures. We all find ourselves in sticky situations. If we haven't felt it yet - we will - or we aren't living life in the fast lane.

Not a bad idea, perhaps a forum that can serve as a repository for *novel* or lengendary posts -- or a post that contains critical advice. Such posts perhaps can be moved there. The challenge I have with this suggestion is isn't all posts a problem or question?

As with most suggestions, they really need support of a larger user/post base which we are progressing with. I don't want dead forums that have 1 post per month.

Thanks for the suggestions ... please keep them coming!

Yankees338

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jul 24, 2007
NJ/MD
I know we already have a "Deal Analysis" subforum in a few forums, but I think it'd be great for some of the more experienced members to have a section to go through some of their deals more in-depth. I guess this makes the most sense for real estate, given that they can go in-depth on specific deals. However, I think we could figure out ways to make it work with those who've owned businesses as well. For instance, they could state a specific problem they encountered and how they made it through it. I'm a firm believer in learning from the mistakes of others, and I think this is a great way to do so.

Any other suggestions that build on this would be more than welcomed. I'm open to any input others may have.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
We have been getting multiple reports of ISP issues, mainly on Comcast, Cogent, and Level3. This is causing some customers to experience sporadic packet loss to/from their servers here at Liquidweb. Our Networking Team is investigating the root cause and are trying to work with the provider issues but at this time, we can confirm this is definitely not an issue with the Liquid Web network. The traffic issues appear to be with TCP and not UDP, so typically traceroutes, pings, DNS will be working, but web and email traffic will not.

Yankees338

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jul 24, 2007
NJ/MD
Now that the site has grown even more, I get even more excited at the idea of a Live Chat implemented within the site. Still though, whenever you're ready MJ, I'm sure we will all welcome the addition.

Also, some type of notification system for when new PMs are received would be nice. The only thing it does is bold the # of new messages you have. If it did something more to help make it more obvious that I have a new PM waiting, it'd definitely be helpful. I know some sites offer popup notifications. You could also just have the whole PM area bolded or put in red. Anything to get it some recognition.

Thanks for considering all the responses! And again, helluva job on the site so far. It's greatly appreciated.

Peter2

Fastane Legend. RIP.
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Aug 2, 2007
Palm Beach, FL
Also, some type of notification system for when new PMs are received would be nice. The only thing it does is bold the # of new messages you have. If it did something more to help make it more obvious that I have a new PM waiting, it'd definitely be helpful. I know some sites offer popup notifications. You could also just have the whole PM area bolded or put in red. Anything to get it some recognition.

Click on QUICK LINKS and then click on EDIT OPTIONS. Scroll down and you will see a box to check to activate your pop-up for new PM's.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
The chat feature is still undecided and here's why: Upon research into the module, it appears they are server intense and cause people to stop posting. People chat over posting because it is deemed quicker. I'm still researching the pros/cons of it.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
The pictures only show when you are on the main page and going to log in. I was just using Firefox and they showed up. I think you must be on auto-login from your regular computer (where you use Firefox) so you don't usually see it. Try logging out and you should see it then.

Yes, Yankees da'man :iagree:

FT1

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Aug 15, 2007
The pictures only show when you are on the main page and going to log in. I was just using Firefox and they showed up. I think you must be on auto-login from your regular computer (where you use Firefox) so you don't usually see it. Try logging out and you should see it then.

Ahh, ok.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
The house and the car graphic ONLY appear to unregistered users. Once you login, it disappears. To see the graphic, you must be logged out.

How about Internet forum in business section.

How about we encourage how to guides (perhaps even wiki-fy it).

For example:
Wiki Guide on Biz:
~Franchising
~Buying

Just a thought, it would stop lot of repetitive posts.

Internet forum is coming ... waiting for more volume so the each forum stays active.

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
505.jpg

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
MJ, is it possible to add/update the Mood icons?
I'd love to see two new moods: Bearish and Bullish, in clear reference to the sentiments about the market.

It is! But its a custom job that I'd have to do ... give me a day or two.

Sid23

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Aug 9, 2007
What about a section entitled "View my plan"? We have a success stories section where people read about how current fastlaners got to where they are. I think there would be a tremendous benefit to younger people and newcomers to have the ability to post their DETAILED plans for getting on the fastlane and then having people like MJ, Russ, SteveO, Peter2 and all of the other "fastlaners" read over them and offer comments and suggestions. Russ and I have already been corresponding over the beginnings of a plan and I have found it EXTREMELY helpful.

Just an idea and my $0.02.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
MJ, I was wondering if there is a way to create a "slow lane mentality" flag for posts.
I saw a post where a member posted something that I consider slow lane idea. I think it would be good if there is a way to flag that post so the author and others realize this type of mentality needs to change/improve in order to make it to the fast lane.

As you can tell, my idea is not even close to be implementable but I think you get where I am going with this suggestion.

bigmako

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Jan 25, 2008
California
If this sounds like a stupid question, I then must apologize.

I read and re-read all the posts here and am unsure if this particular post was ever mentioned.

What if there was a certain section that was nothing more than "success training" only taught by those who have achieved "elite" status? (Only if the "elite" have the time, of course)

The "select few" who enter this "training" must meet critical, stringent requirements such as, rep speed, possibly reccomendations from other "elite" members, etc...
and MJ must have the final approval or to take the pressure off of him, have MJ and other top "elitists" (cabinet members) take it to a vote.

Explaining the full requirements to its members should not offend anybody, but make those who want to get this "success training" work harder to reach those goals!

Is this even possible?

Jorge

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Oct 5, 2007
Mendoza, Argentina
Suggestions:

1) Google ads always show the same site to visit. Maybe tweak that a little so that it shows a little more random ads or something.

2) Replace Google ads (or add) with links to fastlane books, ebooks, etc. on amazon trough affiliate links.

No need to reply, just was an Idea ;)

CarrieW

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 12, 2007
suburbs of savannah in Ga
just one tiny suggestion. something thats been bugging me lol.

I wish that there was a home page link at the bottom of the threads. like in line with the post reply and page numbers. or inbetween the previous thread and next thread links. would make things so much faster for me lol.

I know theres the forum jump at the very very bottom of the page, but it still makes me have to scroll.

Im just a pita so take this with a grain of salt lol...

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
What does everyone think about a "Failure" forum? A place were we all can post our failures? Since learning is done thru failure, I think it'd be nice to hear about our failures and what we can learn about them.

Luke12321

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
31%
Jul 27, 2007
North Carolina
I like the idea....it is good for us to realize that failures do happen....every project we take on is not going to be a winner but one thing will come out of it, we will learn from the mistakes made and apply it to our next venture and keep moving forward.

mtnman

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
28%
Oct 3, 2007
I'm not sure about the perceptions of others, but I think only the unsuccessful would hesitate to share their failures. Success, can mean many things to many people, I might add. After all, what do the successful care, they're successful.

Another way to express what I'm saying that might make more sense is: For example, the self help guru's. What do they talk about? Their failures and how they made it. How to follow in their footsteps, whether fictional or not. Whether directly or indirectly, that is what's happening. Wording can make a HUGE difference.

In short, they sell their failure stories.

I think it's a great idea, with one consideration. As mentioned above, Russ and a few others are willing to contribute initially. I think that MJ, Russ, and others who choose to, should post failure stories in the manner most conducive to make people comfortable, upon forum creation. Set the tone per say.

I think that will make the difference: others seeing the benefit or learning immediately and feeling comfortable.

Jonleehacker

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Oct 31, 2007
Edmonton, Canada
Now that your AdSense is in such a prominent position, I'll bet you that if you:

1. remove the border (blend into page by making it the same color)
  2. blend the ad background color to the page color
you'll see a dramatic increase in CTR.

Also worth split testing the link colors. In my experience (#000080 - Navy) performs the best.

michael

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
31%
Jul 22, 2008
Australia
1) Private forum for users with X Speed or greater

I hope you manage to sell millions of books when you launch, not only will it be a just reward for the friendly community you've built and the time you spend here helping members from all backgrounds but it will bring even more people to the community.

Of course it will also mean and influx of newbie questions, reposts, bad advice and spam, to combat the influx of crap perhaps building on the concept of the speedway and having two versions of the forums would be a good measure to ensure the forum remains a valuable resource for the valued members:

1) A forum with all of the current segments which all members can view and post in.
2) A forum with all of the current segments which all members can view and only members over a certain rep point can post in.

This way the advanced real estate, ebiz and B&M guys and girls can surf to the advanced forum and avoid having to sift through pages of basic questions and crappy advice to find good advice like it is at RDPD.

The newer members can still benefit from the advice given out in the advanced forum but will be unable to clutter it with basic questions, reposts and spam and the advanced members will have the option of visiting the 'newbie forum' to give advice when they see a well though question or genuinely well meaning newbie question posted.

Maybe a stance towards reposts like at Lambopower will also be needed where they are immediately locked and the OP is told to do a search.

Just some thoughts.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I would like to suggest a progress thread as a sub forum of the Fastlane Goals and Plan forum.

The purpose of the sub forum will be to contain the progress thread for each member who wishes to start one. We have several members out there with various threads on the progress they are making on one goal or another. The threads are all over the entire forum. If we had one sub forum for these, it would be very useful for members to be followed by others.

This sub forum will be very direct with a set of rules in it.
-Only one thread started per user.
-The threads must be geared towards progress with their plans. An open journal of progress of sorts. ATW has an terrific thread for action takers, but the thread has so much info in it, its like trying to dig through a salad to find the croûton.
-I think this would be a great solution and continue the tradition of the fastlane community to emphasize on doers and action takers.

Great idea, I will do it this week.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Hope I'm not repeating someone else's thoughts but I really think your Books sales page could use Video salesletter from your own house with you telling a story of yourself and biz, that would be a great proof and would give much better connection to potential buyers and first time visitors. Much more emotional bond can be created with video. Look at Gary Vaynerchuk's small vids also. People want to see real you and the they will buy the book as a souvenir (true in Godin's case, Gary's case, 37Signals etc).

I can't PM you with more ideas so if you are interested MJ, lemme know I can throw some ideas for ya about a video or series of them.. ;)

Couldn't agree more, in fact, I've done videos for this purpose already and just haven't gotten around to updating the website.

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
I just type out my own words, then highlight them, then click the 'link' icon in the editor to add the actual link.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.