• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. The forum software will be upgraded on Sunday May 26th and may not look normal during the transition. Some functionality may be offline. This is TEMPORARY and is expected to last up to 8 hours.
  2. Join 50,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

SUCCESS STORY: Ecko

Discussion in 'Lessons from Success/Failure' started by MJ DeMarco, Feb 4, 2008.

1. MJ DeMarco

MJ DeMarco Raving Lunatic Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $404,781
    Admin Post
    Ecko's startup story...
    To launch his streetwise fashion line, Ecko burned up his credit cards and learned to dampen checks to slow down the bank's cashing them.

Another story showing the road to success isn't paved with gold.

http://money.cnn.com/2008/01/31/smbusiness/marc_ecko.fsb/index.htm

Greg R and LaughedAt like this.
  2. imoutthere

imoutthere New Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $50
    He is on the cover of the new INC. mag. As soon as they post it on the site, ill try to post it here.

From airbushing graffiti on shirts and sweaters to owning a billion dollar hiphop fashion line. good story.

3. LaughedAt

LaughedAt Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $225
    Wow, I'm surprised this one didn't get many replies, this is a truly FastLane story guys, Ecko reported sales north of $1 Billion back in 2004 (no info about now though), I found this story truly unique, you don't see a lot of successes in this industry!
    Thank you for posting MJ (too late I know) :smx2:

4. werbl

werbl New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $48
    I definitely recommend the INC article as well. Great story!

5. MJ DeMarco

MJ DeMarco Raving Lunatic Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $404,781
    Admin Post
    The TAPOUT guys have an interesting story as well ... if I was looking at starting a clothing line (there are a few folks here) I'd be dissecting these stories bit by bit.

6. phade

phade New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $35
  7. michael

michael Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $137

Ken Blockof DC shoes would be another one to look at

If you have a highbeam subscription read about it here

Founded the company in 1993 and sold it to Quicksilver INC in 2004 for an undisclosed amount of money, probably in the hundreds of millions

As you can see he has a bit of fun in the fastlane, he is the driver of these Subaru's :)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Av0VsTxJd78]YouTube - [0-60] Ken Block's snowboard/rally bit from DC's Mtn.Lab 1.5[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rs-jAImScms]YouTube - Ken Block Gymkhana Practice[/ame]

8. djs13

djs13 Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $108
    A clothing line is an awesome fastlane venture, but I think the biggest hurdle is the in-house production. I personally wear clothes from American Apparel (the shirts are very comfortable) but you can purchase the shirts wholesale because they already come unbranded without any print which makes things easy. I think the hassle is getting whatever logo/message onto the clothing. It would probably involve a screen printing machine which would be pretty expensive. It would be interesting if someone could elaborate more on this who knows more than me.

I also think a clothing line could be a candidate to boot-strap because it's something that has culture behind it and can easily be begun solely through the internet. I know a few clothing stores near me that are growing due to a cult following they have developed.

9. MJ DeMarco

Rep Bank:
    $404,781
    Admin Post
    There are days when I think about getting in the designer purse business .... albeit, I'm not sure I want to move to Italy... ;)

Greg R likes this.
  10. imoutthere

imoutthere New Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $50
    Or do the next best thing.

www . bagborroworsteal . com/

Imagine how many other in demand luxury items can be rented. They rent handbags, glasses, jewelry, watches etc.

I just realized that this is a blockbuster video type of biz model, just with a higher price tag items that are in demand.

They charge a membership fee, then based on the bag, they charge a weekly premium. So with a brand new $340 coach bag at $27/week. they will break even at the 3-4 month mark. Then everything else is pure profit.

Average bag probably last about 1-2 years. At that time all they would have to do is liquidate it and reap the benefits.

11. sapple89

sapple89 PARKED

Rep Bank:
    $62
    Great story

Join 1000s of entrepreneurs who are rewriting life's script and winning financial freedom.

---- ----

You must be a member to join the conversation.

Create Account

Join the community fast and easy!

REGISTER

Already have an account? Login here.