The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Subway, 7-11, indian restaurants

Dilshad

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Jan 16, 2013
My concerns for franchise are listed below, and I would really highly appreciate it if someone can reply back with some tips advice. Below are my concerns:

-If I open up a subway (which currently I have no chance comparing to my income), the locations? If already there are other food chains out there would mine really come out into the light?

-Opening up a franchise near a metro station, in a plaza, busy traffic area. Is it worth it? Or the better question would be am I THINKING in the RIGHT direction?!

- I've seen subway, 7-11, indian restaurants run very well, but why do so many people sell these if they run very well? I see especially for subway many owners sell it. What is main reason?

- Lastly If I make $80K a year, which business do you think I should be headed to which would gain so much profit, that is if I can invest $10,000 to $20,000?

If someone can help me, greatly appreciate it, thank you will await for responders.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
Buying a franchise is similar to buying a j.o.b. If you're fine with that then more power to you. Have you read "The Millionaire Fastlane " book that this forum is built around? If not, I highly suggest making the purchase. It may persuade you to take a different path than that of a franchise business. You can get the first 3 chapters for free:
Free Download - The Millionaire Fastlane by MJ DeMarco

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
My concerns for franchise are listed below, and I would really highly appreciate it if someone can reply back with some tips advice. Below are my concerns:

-If I open up a subway (which currently I have no chance comparing to my income), the locations? If already there are other food chains out there would mine really come out into the light?

-Opening up a franchise near a metro station, in a plaza, busy traffic area. Is it worth it? Or the better question would be am I THINKING in the RIGHT direction?!

- I've seen subway, 7-11, indian restaurants run very well, but why do so many people sell these if they run very well? I see especially for subway many owners sell it. What is main reason?

- Lastly If I make $80K a year, which business do you think I should be headed to which would gain so much profit, that is if I can invest $10,000 to $20,000?

If someone can help me, greatly appreciate it, thank you will await for responders.

Wow. How easy has it become to spot someone who hasn't read the book. They're like bulls in a china shop.

Read the book ... all your answers are in there. If you don't want to buy it, I'm sure you can steal it from the torrents.

Dilshad

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Jan 16, 2013
Wow. How easy has it become to spot someone who hasn't read the book. They're like bulls in a china shop.

Read the book ... all your answers are in there. If you don't want to buy it, I'm sure you can steal it from the torrents.

Thank you my friends :) I will definitly buy the book since now I am really eager to start some sort of a business.

Amail

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Apr 12, 2012
North San Diego County
From your post in a different thread:
I have a question, is it really legal to buy from a website and then you sell it for higher profit? I mean can you really do that? I thought it's not allowed, but I am no expert.
Yep, it's legal. Now, you can't, for instance, make a duplicate of a patented product and sell it, nor can you copy somebody's trademarked logo and stick it on your product. Well, you can, but it's unethical (don't be unethical), and expect some action from the patent owner's attorney at some point.

If you're looking for something constructive to do with your money, drop all this notion of buying a franchise. You aren't in control. Put your money in the bank for now and educate yourself:
  1. Buy and read The Millionaire Fastlane (honestly, for the love of all that's holy, do this)
  2. Read Vigilante's Passive Income Deposits thread
  3. Read Biophase's eCommerce thread
  4. Read my Importing thread
From what I gather, you're Indian (yes?). You may be in a unique position to offer products to Indians in the US since you have first hand knowlege of the culture and know what they want. You could grow such a business 100 times greater than any Subway franchise, and it will be infinitely more satisfying.

Last edited by a moderator:

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
Buying a franchise is rarely a good idea unless you will be doing the management. Unless your location is phenomenal, you will not be able to operate in the green with a hired GM.

Again, read the book. Steal the book if you're too poor/lazy/impatient to buy it.

Dilshad

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Jan 16, 2013
Yep, it's legal. Now, you can't, for instance, make a duplicate of a patented product and sell it, nor can you copy somebody's trademarked logo and stick it on your product. Well, you can, but it's unethical (don't be unethical), and expect some action from the patent owner's attorney at some point.

If you're looking for something constructive to do with your money, drop all this notion of buying a franchise. You aren't in control. Put your money in the bank for now and educate yourself:
  1. Buy and read The Millionaire Fastlane (honestly, for the love of all that's holy, do this)
From what I gather, you're Indian (yes?). You may be in a unique position to offer products to Indians in the US since you have first hand knowlege of the culture and know what they want. You could grow such a business 100 times greater than any Subway franchise, and it will be infinitely more satisfying.

Thanks! :) I sometimes think that if I do sell something "indianish". Some things come in my mind which I noticed so many people love:

1.) Indian Food 2.) the traditional Henna which is designed on hands, 3.) indian clothing (kind of like shalwar kameez, and shawls) My issue is if I start to sell shawls, how exactly do I buy these and from whom?

Dilshad

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Jan 16, 2013

will do :)

SeanKelly

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Aug 8, 2012
Stop offering the option to steal the book. That is something only an a**hole would do

Amail

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Apr 12, 2012
North San Diego County
My issue is if I start to sell shawls, how exactly do I buy these and from whom?
I did a quick search on Alibaba with the words "shalwar, kameez, shawls" and came up with 42 "Gold" rated suppliers in India. I filtered results to include only Indian manufacturers with a gold rating, but you can include manufacturers from other countries as well. I noticed there were several companies in Pakistan, so you have a lot of options.
Now, go back and read those threads I mentioned. You've got some legwork ahead of you.

D

DeletedUser2

Stop offering the option to steal the book. That is something only an a**hole would do

when the owner of the book, suggests you steal it. he is saying that the value of what he offers the world is worth letting someone "steal" it if only to spread the message a little bit farther. to affect 1 more person in the world

I can respect that.

the OWNER is offering that option. very impressive.

and someplace in the world spending 30 bucks is a month worth of wages.
having someone torrent your book, (for free) and the opportunity of creating another entrepreneur in the world.

Priceless.

Z

SeanKelly

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Aug 8, 2012
when the owner of the book, suggests you steal it. he is saying that the value of what he offers the world is worth letting someone "steal" it if only to spread the message a little bit farther. to affect 1 more person in the world

I can respect that.

and someplace in the world spending 30 bucks is a months of wages.
having someone torrent your book, (for free) and the opportunity of creating another entrepreneur in the world.

Priceless.

Z

Stealing in any form is not okay with me and another entrepreneur in the world, in my eyes, just translates to more competition. The OP is talking about spending tens of thousands of dollars, I'm sure he can afford a $10.00 book.

Edit: No disrespect Z, just sticking to my guns here

vtlambo

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Mar 10, 2012
Stealing in any form is not okay with me and another entrepreneur in the world, in my eyes, just translates to more competition. The OP is talking about spending tens of thousands of dollars, I'm sure he can afford a $10.00 book.

Edit: No disrespect Z, just sticking to my guns here

Competition is very healthy. Think about this forum - if you didn't have competition, there would be 5 members on this board and that's it. We're pretty grateful to have an abundance of entrepreneurs on here to share a mass of knowledge to us everyday.

SeanKelly

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Aug 8, 2012
Competition is very healthy. Think about this forum - if you didn't have competition, there would be 5 members on this board and that's it. We're pretty grateful to have an abundance of entrepreneurs on here to share a mass of knowledge to us everyday.

Of course competition is healthy, but the less there is the better.

Dilshad

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Jan 16, 2013
I did a quick search on Alibaba with the words "shalwar, kameez, shawls" and came up with 42 "Gold" rated suppliers in India. I filtered results to include only Indian manufacturers with a gold rating, but you can include manufacturers from other countries as well. I noticed there were several companies in Pakistan, so you have a lot of options.
Now, go back and read those threads I mentioned. You've got some legwork ahead of you.

Thanks for the search! :) Got workload today but definitly will get into those threads and dwell in. Now when you found out the indian companies, do I just pick up the phone and call them saying how much would you sell in a bundle etc? How can I get a good pricing option?

InMotion

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Mar 18, 2011
but why do so many people sell these if they run very well? I see especially for subway many owners sell it. What is main reason?

Well probably because the ones that were sold don't run well. Its probably the only way out of the franchise agreement besides burning them down; they burn them down also.

Invest in the book before you invest in anything.

Amail

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Apr 12, 2012
North San Diego County
I've seen subway, 7-11, indian restaurants run very well, but why do so many people sell these if they run very well? I see especially for subway many owners sell it. What is main reason?
Because they've realized too late that it's a shit-ton of work unless you have EVERYTHING running perfectly. Once something's out of balance, it will devour your life.

SeanKelly

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Aug 8, 2012
none taken,

but if the AUTHOR of the book says you can have it?

is it really stealing?

Good point, Z. It was just difficult for me to justify it initially.

Tommy92l

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Aug 20, 2012

I can respect that.

and someplace in the world spending 30 bucks is a month worth of wages.

Priceless.

Z

For everything else, there's MasterCard.

And MJ That's really cool of you man. I could tell he hadn't read the book (Not in a bad way), but it's awesome to see everyone helping each other out. Let us know what you think, Man!

Dilshad

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Jan 16, 2013

Amail, I wanted to let you know,

1.) today I got the Book: "The Millionaire Fastlane ".

2.) I'm reviewing the threads which you had sent to review.

3.) I'm about to register for a import/export management certification

4.) Your my mentor! Which I'm proud to say!

CarrieW

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 12, 2007
suburbs of savannah in Ga
while I do not disagree with anyones input into this thread I just want to throw another view point out there...

I personally have known and worked for people who owned multiple locations of their respective franchises and were very very successful with them, they are very very far from owning their jobs... (and no they did not own the franchise idea just owned several locations of them)

it is indeed possible to be successfull and in the fastlane while franchising with the correct planning and positioning :)

Dilshad

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Jan 16, 2013
while I do not disagree with anyones input into this thread I just want to throw another view point out there...

I personally have known and worked for people who owned multiple locations of their respective franchises and were very very successful with them, they are very very far from owning their jobs... (and no they did not own the franchise idea just owned several locations of them)

it is indeed possible to be successfull and in the fastlane while franchising with the correct planning and positioning :)

Thanks Carrie, I keep on doing research on Retail and Import/Exporting business - though I am not in a financial state where I physically buy a location/store so my plans for to use my basement as a business for import/export or even retail. Let's see what the future holds for me :)

goodfella

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
44%
Apr 4, 2013

lol I actually downloaded it via torrent at first but then I bought it on amazon so I could have a physical copy because it was too good of a book.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
lol I actually downloaded it via torrent at first but then I bought it on amazon so I could have a physical copy because it was too good of a book.

"They" say that is why you shouldn't fight the torrents, LOL. I'm pretty sure that 90% of my international readership comes from the torrents since the book is so hard to come by outside of the US.

Do I like it the theft?

No.

But I believe people who read it will both like the content and be able to decipher that I'm not selling a $5K seminar or a 10 disc CD set for $977. That generates actual sales.

Thank you for buying the book.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
"They" say that is why you shouldn't fight the torrents, LOL. I'm pretty sure that 90% of my international readership comes from the torrents since the book is so hard to come by outside of the US.

Do I like it the theft?

No.

But I believe people who read it will both like the content and be able to decipher that I'm not selling a $5K seminar or a 10 disc CD set for $977. That generates actual sales.

Thank you for buying the book.

When asked about illegal downloads of his music, PSY (Gangnam Style guy) responded: "money-wise it's not good but exposure wise it is good"

You are losing out on sales, but you are gaining a customer list at the same time. I originally downloaded TMF on the torrents because I was lazy and didn't wanna wait for the book to arrive. Now, I bought a hard copy as well as an INSIDERS's subscription.

Am I the exception to the rule? Yes, because most people who torrent the book won't do anything actionable with the info anyway. Generally, they would not have bought it given the chance. The book will rot on their hard drive and they will, undoubtedly, remain poor.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Thanks! :) I sometimes think that if I do sell something "indianish". Some things come in my mind which I noticed so many people love:

1.) Indian Food 2.) the traditional Henna which is designed on hands, 3.) indian clothing (kind of like shalwar kameez, and shawls) My issue is if I start to sell shawls, how exactly do I buy these and from whom?

I hope someone can explain this to me, but what the hell does being Indian have anything to do with what kind of business you should start? I don't limit myself to golf clubs, sea salt, and north face jackets because I am white...

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.