The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Struggling with Business Ideas? Do This One Thing to Never Run Out of Fastlane Opportunities

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
aka The Astonishing Secrets That IceCreamKid Never Told You… Exposed!

(just kidding man)

Dear INSIDERS,

For years I couldn't understand how MJ can so easily spot everywhere opportunities to start a Fastlane business. I was always struggling with business ideas, and MJ's words in his book - "Not a day goes by when I don’t spot a need that can be exploited for Fastlane opportunity" just infuriated me.

"How the hell does MJ spot so many needs? What am I doing wrong? It's easy for him because he's wealthy!".

As a result, I just chased money. Blogging? Let's do it, I can make money on ads and e-books! Affiliate marketing? Why not - there are so many products to sell! SEO? Damn man, imagine how much money I can make on Google traffic and AdSense!

Oh boy, how stupid I was. No wonder why I couldn't see Fastlane opportunities all around me.

Fortunately, I finally learned from my own mistakes. Now not a day goes by when I don't spot a need that can be exploited for Fastlane opportunity.

Do This One Thing to Never Run Out of Brilliant Fastlane Opportunities

Guess how to spot a Fastlane opportunity...

No, you don't google "how to make money". You don't read lists of 100 best business ideas. You don't start a make money blog (seriously, come on!). You don't even come up with your own ideas.

What you do is you LISTEN to other people.

It's nothing new - MJ talks about it extensively in his book. IceCreamKid also already mentioned it in his thread, but I think many people missed the main point of his post.

Instead of repeating their advice, I'd like to give you some real-world examples so that you can get started right away.

3 Ways to Get Million-Dollar Ideas on a Daily Basis

The easiest way to always have new business opportunities is to talk with people and let them share with you their pains, problems, needs, and/or wants.

In fact, your ability to spot Fastlane opportunities is directly related to your ability to listen to other people.

Okay, but how exactly do you get other people to share million-dollar ideas with you? Here are three ways I tried personally (along with real-world examples in the next section):

1. Cold e-mailing/cold calling

Pick an industry (use http://www.ibisworld.com/industry/home.aspx for some cool industry reports), google "[your chosen industry] [city]" (or use www.manta.com), browse their site to find their contact info and send them an e-mail or call them. Here's one of the scripts I used when e-mailing one of the industries I researched:

Subject line: Can you help me [first name]?

Hey [first name],

Found your contact information on Manta.com and felt the need to reach out to someone with your experience.

My name is [your name] and I am an entrepreneur doing research on the [your chosen industry]. My goal is to learn about the biggest pains you have running your business and to solve a big problem that will make your life easier.

What are your biggest frustrations with managing your business?

Love to hear back from you, even if it’s only one sentence.

Kind regards,
[your name and contact info]

It's pretty similar to Dane Maxwell's idea extraction e-mails. Keep in mind your initial response rate for cold e-mails won't be higher than 5%, so for each 100 e-mails sent you can expect maybe 5 replies. You can greatly increase your response rate by personalizing your e-mails.

I didn't try cold calling, but my friend is doing it and he finds it very effective for his research.

2. Leverage LinkedIn

LinkedIn is the best place to reach people in virtually every industry - including CEOs of extremely successful companies.

I myself had calls with two owners of huge cleaning companies (with up to several hundred employees) who both shared with me problems worth thousands, if not millions, of dollars to them.

One business owner told me outright - "if you solve this problem for me, I'll make you a very wealthy individual".

Again, find an industry, join groups for this industry and start connecting with people and message them asking about their problems.

You can also post discussions in groups (post them around 8-9 AM to increase your chances of being featured in a daily group digest).

I didn't explore posting in groups much, but I got great results from simply connecting with people and messaging them - I'm talking about response rate of around 20% (and remember, that's for cold messaging).

3. Talk with people in person

Visit local businesses or talk with your friends and family. If you start listening more, you'll get dozens of ideas a day. Not all of them are Fastlane, but that's not the point - the point is you'll always find several brilliant ideas among every 50+ ideas you'll get every week/month if you simply focus on problems of other people.

Keep in mind that you should always get people to talk with you. Exchanging e-mails is not enough. Get people on Skype, talk over the phone or in person.

When talking with these people, dig deep - ask them to clearly define their problem, get to know the most painful part of it, ask them how much it's worth to them and how much they would be willing to pay to get it solved. And then pre-sell your solution to validate the idea - ask them to pay upfront for the solution.

Real-World Ideas I Got from This Process

Just to give you some examples, here are some ideas I got thanks to following this simple process:

1. Software for dance studios. Currently there's no professional software for dance studios that would let owners of dance studios use their own payment gateway instead of a pre-defined payment gateway.

One business owner told me he's willing to pay $50-60 a month for this solution, and he says this solution would be a blockbuster not only for owners of dance studios, but also any other studio (e.g. yoga and pilates studios).

The main pain here is that owners of dance studios using other software solutions are forced to give up control and use payment gateway provided by the software company.

Fastlane? Check. If you take into account the fact there are around 8000 dance studios in the US alone, you can easily take it to mid 5 figures a month (and that's just from dance studios and no upsells). More scale, less magnitude.

2. Employee management software for the cleaning industry. Large cleaning companies struggle with employee retention. They're willing to pay thousands per year to increase their employee retention rate (get employees who wouldn't leave their company after several months to join a different cleaning company which offers a slightly higher hourly rate).

Fastlane? Check. One business owner told me this problem costs him up to millions per year. Each client can be worth thousands a year to you. More magnitude, less scale.

3. Marketing consultation company for owners of yoga studios - just to show you something not related to software. After exchanging messages with numerous owners of yoga studios I noticed that a common pain is that owners of yoga studios don't have any marketing skills. They're great at teaching yoga, but not very good at marketing. You could start a company focused on helping yoga studios get more clients.

Fastlane? Check. There are 26 000 yoga and pilates studios in the US alone. Once you develop a process, you can easily replicate your process all over the US.

4. Organizing fun events in your city. I originally learned about this cool idea from Noah Kagan (read this incredible post in which he shows how to start a $3500/month business in less than a week) but after speaking with my friends (they can also be a great source of business ideas) I noticed there's a similar pain in my city shared by many people.

If there are few fun events in your city, ask your friends what they'd like to do to have some fun for $25 (e.g. learn how to craft cocktails) and then pre-sell events to them.

Fastlane? Check. Once you master the process, you can start a franchise and organize similar events in other cities.

I didn't decide to go through with these ideas for various reasons so feel free to steal them.

Warning: Ideas Are Worthless Without Execution

Before you start jumping for joy because I shared these Fastlane ideas with you, remember that ideas are worthless without execution. Each of the ideas I listed above is easily worth millions, but to make them, you first have to execute and provide value.

However, now that you know how to always have new brilliant business ideas, you can't make an excuse you can't come up with any ideas...

Once you stop obsessing over ideas and start taking action, the world becomes your (entrepreneurial) playground.

You don't have to get it right, you just have to get it moving. Pick an industry, start researching it, and stop struggling with coming up with business ideas.

Further Resources

If you want to learn more about how to listen to people to get to know their pains and problems, read Harry Browne's book "The Secret of Selling Anything".

PS. I experienced incredible growth thanks to the INSIDERS groups and my friend and mentor who I got to know thanks to this forum. It's my way of giving forward. My course of life was permanently altered thanks to you MJ.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited by a moderator:

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Could be Gold in the making...

And yes, listening is a lost art, hence why, most people never get it and will gravitate toward the same old guru bs of "do what you love" and other self-loathing platitudes -- one is self-centered and involves talking, the other, selflessness which is listening.

kamanuci

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
173%
Nov 7, 2013
1. Cold e-mailing/cold calling
Pick an industry (use http://www.ibisworld.com/industry/home.aspx for some cool industry reports), google "[your chosen industry] [city]" (or use www.manta.com), browse their site to find their contact info and send them an e-mail or call them. Here's one of the scripts I used when e-mailing one of the industries I researched:

Something that I have read to that could help response rates is to use the news section in Google to see if there has been any recent news on the company and include it in the subject. People love hearing about themselves so it sounds like it would work.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
@MJ DeMarco

Thank you!

@kamanuci

Cool tip, thanks for sharing! Anything that makes your message look less like a template for mass e-mailing should increase the response rate.

Enki

on-ramp
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
291%
Jun 18, 2013
Cleveland, Oh USA
Something that I have read to that could help response rates is to use the news section in Google to see if there has been any recent news on the company and include it in the subject. People love hearing about themselves so it sounds like it would work.

I've been having tremendous success using this method. I also try to identify ten unique facts about the organization or person I am reaching out to. I'n in email I sprinkle the facts with the hope of "looping" with the reader. In a call I just come out and say "I was blown away to find out Best Unique Fact Here"

I found that the majority of the time I'll get a response like

"Well yes, we do _____________, But its really a constant struggle to keep ______________"

I've put out atleast 250 calls in the past week. And everytime I hear words like hard, struggle, and phrases like the problem is I get chills. Can it really be this easy to identify peoples/businesses needs? I know that if I call them back with a solution I would have them hook line and sinker.

Lakeview

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Sep 5, 2013
Texas
Nice write-up! I'll add a couple of resources:

data.com - sign-up for free access, you can review a lot for free. For every contact correction you make or add, you get points for more access. Good for B2B.

If in the USA, get a library card to access referenceUSA for US and Canada databases and reference center. Good for B2C and/or B2B.

Oztrepreneur

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
122%
Aug 9, 2013
Instead of repeating their advice, I'd like to give you some real-world examples so that you can get started right away.

MTF this posting is exellent. Often what is missing is practical examples. It is easy to talk about listening to people, finding pain points but it is incredibly hard sometimes to manifest this into something that is tangible, for those withou experience.

Already have learnt some great tips from your post and the subsequent replies.....Thanks!

IceCreamKid

With Great Power Comes Great Electricity Bill
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
2,185%
Jun 8, 2010
California
MTF this posting is exellent. Often what is missing is practical examples. It is easy to talk about listening to people, finding pain points but it is incredibly hard sometimes to manifest this into something that is tangible, for those withou experience.

Amazing that you bring up this excellent point because I was thinking about this exact problem last night. There aren't enough real world examples. I suspect that it is because it takes A LOT of time to research examples and break them down into an easily understandable format.

I bet you MTF spent a fair amount of time writing up that initial post. I think if MJ DeMarco set up a section in which users can upload content that other users can pay for, better quality content would be released. That creates a really sticky situation though because then you attract people who might just be spammy and have no real intention to release quality content.

Oztrepreneur

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
122%
Aug 9, 2013
I suspect that it is because it takes A LOT of time to research examples and break them down into an easily understandable format.

Good point. I also suspect that there aren't alot of tangible examples due to :
- Fear of stealing ideas. MTF clearly gave good examples because he wasn't fearful of people takin his ideas, which is refreshing given the mantra about execution
- Some proportion of people who have executionable fastlane ideas, possibly cannot describe in detail the process by which they discovered it. Some are not natural at logically breaking down sequence of events that eventuate in an oucome. (ie. i foud this problem but not sure how, but hey now I have a successful business)
- Very few people reach the point where they come across ideas. I suspect this is the largest bucket and is why when posts like MTF's come along it gets alot of interest....

Some uh huh moments going on....just my uneducated opinion! I personally love the mechanics and intricacies that is the process. The internet abounds with success stories but is woeful in describing the process and equally importantly the mechanics that lead to the idea discovery.

IceCreamKid

With Great Power Comes Great Electricity Bill
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
2,185%
Jun 8, 2010
California
- Some proportion of people who have executionable fastlane ideas, possibly cannot describe in detail the process by which they discovered it. Some are not natural at logically breaking down sequence of events that eventuate in an oucome. (ie. i foud this problem but not sure how, but hey now I have a successful business)

This is exactly my problem. By the time you get good at something, you're doing it at an unconscious level so you are no longer aware of the thought process behind what you're doing.

It's sorta like driving a car...when it's your first time behind the wheel, you're nervous and can describe every little detail on the road. After many years, it becomes natural to drive so when people ask, "How do you drive a car?" my standard respond would be just do it.

I greatly admire teachers for their patience and ability to break things down.

frieden70

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Nov 24, 2012
This is very true, at least in my experience.

My first gig was recruiting in the tech industry. Bringing up news about their company was definitely an easy ice breaker.

KLaw

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
Aug 4, 2012
ohio
@MTF awesome post. I love the fact that you backed up your generalizations with actual, specific examples. Too many times we read regurgitated rah rah posts with 15 paragraphs that basically state "take action", "execute", "get the right mindset". These posts remind me books that you buy that really dont provide any meat just fluff.
Your examples are close to case studies. I love it. Please keep it up as this is the best way for us to actually learn. Thanks and I really appreciate the value you added with just your original post. Rep transfer coming your way.

Bowden

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
Sep 29, 2010
TAMPA, FL
Great post!

Speed ++++ , well uh, $$$$

I have hundreds and hundreds of notes jotted down between spiral notebooks, small moleskin notebooks, and in my phone. Anytime I hear someone complain about a problem, or how something could be improved, I write it down. I'm an observer, sitting or standing back watching and listening. You never know when you might hear something that could change the rest of your life.

throttleforward

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
278%
Oct 30, 2009
Washington DC
I'll throw out an idea that I'm not going to take action on any time soon. (IceCreamKid - You've heard this before)

In my interviewing of vacation rental companies for one of my business concepts, one company found customer retention, recognition and welcome packet creation to be such a hassle that they were willing to pay five figures for development of a SaaS solution if I managed the build process. They were then going to help me sell it to other vacation rental companies. I'd be happy to do an email introduction with the business owner for the right person here.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
In my interviewing of vacation rental companies for one of my business concepts, one company found customer retention, recognition and welcome packet creation to be such a hassle that they were willing to pay five figures for development of a SaaS solution if I managed the build process.

How does this involve SAAS? I'm guessing that the tool is a web-based configurator that creates "welcome packets?" on the fly, from digital versions, to printed versions or PDFs?

That sounds like a great idea.

throttleforward

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
278%
Oct 30, 2009
Washington DC
How does this involve SAAS? I'm guessing that the tool is a web-based configurator that creates "welcome packets?" on the fly, from digital versions, to printed versions or PDFs?

That sounds like a great idea.

Yes, that's the general concept. These guys are pretty tech savvy, and had a custom built rental management system which I would have had to taylor the service against. However, other rental companies typically use a standard set of management back-ends, so the success of the custom build solution with the first rental company could be used as proof of the efficacy of the concept, and once other rental companies came on board you could start to build SaaS solutions against their more common, standardized backends.

Additional services for this concept would including personalized discount/experience packages based on individual renter interests, maps showing their specific house, a section thanking customers for returning for the xxth time as a xx rental company guest, etc.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
Thank you all for your positive feedback!

@Cleveland - great stuff, 250 calls in a week sounds like you're a MAJOR hustler.

@Lakeview - thanks for sharing. All of these sites are a great starting point to research some industries and get to know their pains.

@Oztrepreneur - you're welcome. I understand what you mean by having a difficulty understanding advice without practical examples, but you have to realize that once you just start talking with people you'll get dozens of ideas, and you won't need practical examples.

You won't be afraid of people stealing your ideas if you can come across dozens of great ideas a day (unless it's really a once in a lifetime opportunity).

@IceCreamKid - in terms of writing the actual post, it took me less than 2 hours, but in terms of learning this stuff and doing research, a few months. An average call is usually at least one hour long, and to get someone to talk with you, you first have to send at least a couple of messages (if you don't want to cold call).

By the way, it's amazing how much time a busy entrepreneur can give you for free if you're only willing to listen to him and genuinely get to know his business and his problems. My longest call was 1.5 hours long (and it was a result of a simple LinkedIn message).

@KLaw - thanks. The main point of my thread was to show you that a simple LinkedIn message or e-mail is enough to get great business ideas. Start sending 100 messages/e-mails each day to business owners and talk with them over the phone/on Skype. You'll soon be able to post your own case studies here because you'll start getting too many great ideas to act on them all.

@csmtampa - yes, that's what it's all about! I bet you have hundreds of great Fastlane ideas in your moleskin, probably enough for each member of this forum.

@throttleforward - this idea sounds interesting and yesterday I sent you a PM asking for more details. However, now I'm not sure if I can go through with it because I'm busy with a different project (also SaaS, also a result of a Skype call set up through LinkedIn). Anyway, thank you for sharing this problem. That's exactly the same type of super specific business ideas you can get if you only talk with business owners instead of coming up with your own ideas.

1milclub

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
99%
Jan 27, 2014
US
Thanks for this thread. I would like to add a few additional points to simplify the process for those who do not want to get off to search the industry database, write email, talk to people, etc.

Note: I am in a 'comfortable' job but in the process of start driving in the fast lane (in parallel for now!)

OK, so as I said I am in the process of identifying opportunities. However, note that I am not totally new to this, so some of these come from my previous experience. A few things I have observed that help are:

1. Start simple. Just look around at home. What do you see? Is it the best way to create that product? Can it be improved? Can you find someone to make it better (design, manufacture), etc.

Example 1: I had three separate can openers (manual) that are either broken or useless (not effective). I have some ideas of creating different ways - design, material, etc. to improve it.

Example 2: I was installing an outdoor light. It was a nice looking, bright LED light to be installed on the wall. I was excited, but when I tried to connect the wires, the idiots have made it so hard that it is impossible to install it single handedly because of the short wire and the weight of the light. All I needed was a simple connector. I am thinking to design one (I tried to look online, but the ones I found does not make it easier in my case).

But what if you do not want to deal with physical products, keep reading ...

2. Again, start from home or office, and notice what do you do during the day ? Are there certain things that happen everyday? notice anything easy? why? is it difficult - why? Can you think of a service that can help make that step/process easier? May be an App? May be a web app, SaaS?

Example: Home with kids is usually a war room in the morning. I need something to streamline morning tasks. Did you take notes/books/homework/lunch bag? How can I make sure everything is covered before rushing out?

3. Watch TV? Note the commercials - what type of advertisements are seen frequently? that may be the industry you should eye on. What pain are they solving? What kind of products are there? Can we create something better?

Example: My wife does not like the chemicals in the Hair products. Can we have something home made/herbal/natural products? (see Biophase's excellent thread on home made soap business experiment)

4. Now you need to go out of house. Visit stores like Target. KOHL's, if you are a member Costco/Sam's type warehouse also is a good place. Observe what do they carry. Depending on your interest look around and find what products can be sourced - similar or the same. Food/kitchen gadgets/clothes/books (if you are into eBooks), etc.

5. After the above visit to the stores, I highly recommend a visit to the nearest Dollar stores (Dollar General/Tree). I saw almost similar products (different brands) to the ones found in some of the high end stores. Most of them are from China. Can they be sourced? If Dollar stores can sell it for a buck, there must be a low price, and if high end stores also carry it, they can be sold at higher margins. There are multiple ones, so you have to be selective and may need to spend time to check if that is also sold on Amazon/eBay and for how much, but there must be a market.

Having said that, I am also learning, but I hope this helps ...

Last edited by a moderator:

Bigguns50

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Feb 12, 2013
Sedona, AZ
THIS IS A PROBLEM !

https://sisweb.resa.net/ParentPortal/

This 'portal' is for parents of students wanting to keep track of their kid's grades, assignments, etc. Problem is....it SUCKS !

Why do I know it sucks ? Teachers constantly complain it's too difficult to use...therefore...they don't use it and keep it up to date unless their boss is breathing down their neck. That leads to the parents upset for not having up to date information regarding their kid's progress. My Wife's Daughter's school uses this system and neither one use it anymore because it's rarely updated or accurate.

The students also have their own 'student connect' with sucks just as bad as the 'Parent connect'.

I don't know anything about how the school system purchased this...or is leasing it...or if they are looking for another system, or the owners of this to fix it.

Somebody fix this = $$.

Keep your eyes and ears open and you will see problems or things that can be done better or more efficiently or cheaper...on a daily basis.

1milclub

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
99%
Jan 27, 2014
US
In my interviewing of vacation rental companies ....

Exactly, I like talking to people, and having been in the IT industry for 20+ years, I can talk about the problems. Recently, I had a window replacement job. The salesman had a 'pain' to keep track of the leads and appointments. They do have some kind of system which also has apps on iphone/ipad, and they pay top dollars - why? because that was given to them by the parent (franchiser) company. Still he wanted something simple to use, and was ready to get into the inner circle where thousands of franchisee's can be potential customer. I am going to follow up to find out more.

@throttleforward: Based on the outcome and analysis of that, I may contact you for details on this vacation rental option.

I get so many ideas, I just need to select which I can work on.

1milclub

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
99%
Jan 27, 2014
US
@Bigguns50: Perfect opportunity. Are you going to find out more? I also know there is another school system - it is called "Power school'. Haven't used extensively but it may be a competitor.

Not sure how easy/rewarding it is to sell to a school as budget is normally tight, but worth an analysis.

Bigguns50

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Feb 12, 2013
Sedona, AZ
@1milclub ...nope. Its up for grabs. I just want to post ideas to show how to spot them. I spot opportunities nearly every day. I would love to have more than one going at a time but I need stay focused on one now.

I imagine entry is an issue but that's a good thing.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
1. Start simple. Just look around at home. What do you see?

When I moved last year, I borrowed 50 plastic crates from my mother for packing and they helped tremendously. Anyone could easily create a crate rental business for explicity this purpose. I would have paid a couple 100 bucks to rent them for a week to assist in my moving. When I checked, there were a few that did this, but I never knew about it. That means they are not marketing well. It's a rental business and if properly systemized, could follow a franchise model.

I truly believe there is an emergence of opportunities in the B&M space because the young entrepreneurs of the world are focused on the glamorous -- mobile apps, internet, and other digital goods. That leaves a lot of potential in the B&M space, which I see practically everyday. A lot of product based businesses are growing like weeds simply by Instagram.

Just saying... don't discount the real world in favor of the online world.

Determined2012

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Jun 22, 2012
Chicago, IL
A lot of product based businesses are growing like weeds simply by Instagram.

So true! I noticed that last year. In almost every new episode of Shark Tank Mark Cuban mentions the power of Instagram.

Instagram is by far the most engaging and popular social media platform out right now. With the new DM (direct message) feature there is no reason to use Twitter or Facebook...Also, unlike Twitter, the person does not have to be following you back in order for you to send them a message- SUPER ADDED BONUS!

I don't know much about Pinterest, but I am learning that it is popular and also effective with growing a business... Does anyone here use it? Can you tell about your experience?

ddzc

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
May 22, 2012
Toronto
When I moved last year, I borrowed 50 plastic crates from my mother for packing and they helped tremendously. Anyone could easily create a crate rental business for explicity this purpose. I would have paid a couple 100 bucks to rent them for a week to assist in my moving. When I checked, there were a few that did this, but I never knew about it. That means they are not marketing well. It's a rental business and if properly systemized, could follow a franchise model.

I truly believe there is an emergence of opportunities in the B&M space because the young entrepreneurs of the world are focused on the glamorous -- mobile apps, internet, and other digital goods. That leaves a lot of potential in the B&M space, which I see practically everyday. A lot of product based businesses are growing like weeds simply by Instagram.

Just saying... don't discount the real world in favor of the online world.

So true and excellent example. I can think of many different areas to branch out with the crate rental business. I'm moving soon and this has been on my mind, where and how I'm going to be able to transport everything from my current home in to a storage container with ease.

Bigguns50

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Feb 12, 2013
Sedona, AZ
Refrigerator food spoilage. This drives me crazy ! (and costs families hundreds or thousands yearly)
Can't we just scan our foods as we put them in the frig and when the expiration date gets close...it tells us so.

I've thought about this and obviously it's very involved...but still.

What about when we run out, or nearly out of something. Do we still have to write it down on our grocery list ? Can't we just scan it at a portable scanner that adds it to our weekly list ? I scan items into my phone but that's a headache. ("Out of Milk" application)

johnp

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Aug 29, 2011
Philly

I agree with this so much.

In the PA area the cold is killing us. The roads are practically falling apart. Hundreds of new pot holes are forming daily on high volume roads. I happen to work for the Department of Transportation (hopefully not for much longer) so I hear people complain about the pot holes every day. Flat tires, broken wheels, and major accidents because people are jumping into other lanes to avoid the pot holes. A few people have died already.

Last Friday I asked the guy next to me why the pot holes aren't being filled. He told me that it's too cold to fill the pot holes. So I instantly saw a need to create some sort of process to fill the holes in the cold weather.

And it turns out that someone is actually doing this. He created a special truck that fills pot holes in seconds. He holds a patent on the truck. He has like 30 employees working for him and he's pulling in over 10 million per year filling pot holes. He was interviewed by a local paper and I'm pretty sure that he said that he "fills then bills" - He described all of the snow and cold weather as being like a a birthday to him.

Who would have thought that there is millions in pot holes. Needs are everywhere.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.