The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Struggling with ADHD? Triple Your Productivity in 30 Days!

Anything related to matters of the mind

tminch55

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
296%
Jun 24, 2014
WHO AM I?
I'm a card carrying member of the exclusive ---all you can eat--- Attention Deficit Disorder Buffet. This disorder is very common among entrepreneurs, so I believe I can provide value to anyone on this forum who has a question about it. Allow me to help you.

Here are some of my notable "achievements" for the first 25 years of my life (pre-ADHD diagnosis)

7 failed jobs in 5 years
1 bankruptcy
1 Foreclosure
2 Vehicle repossessions
Multiple failed relationships
Gaining 100 extra lbs of excess fat

Here are some of my achievements thus far post-diagnosis

2 college degrees
1 beautiful wife
3 fantastic children
1 job with a Fortune 500 company utilizing my degrees
9 straight years of employment
3 career promotions
3x the average per capita income for my city

Am I happy with my current direction?
Not necessarily. I'm a Slowlane success. I want to be a Fastlane success. However, for someone with ADHD, this is a positive turnaround. I am currently an ANALYST.

As in, someone with ADHD who sits for 10 hours a day ANALYZING and manipulating data.

How's that for an oxymoron? ADHD Analyst... Has a nice ring to it.

But consider this...

I'm not even close to being finished. I WILL be a Fastlane Success.

But in order to get to that point, I need to help people. A lot of people.

So please, allow me to help you! :)

I'm offering an exclusive coupon to members of the Fastlane Forum

I will help anyone on this forum for $$$FREE$$$

But wait, there's MORE!

If you're not fully satisfied after 30 days, I am offering a

$$$FULL REFUND$$$

How's THAT for a guarantee?

Take advantage of this offer right now by responding to this post.

It's simple.

Ask a question.

Press Submit.

But do it quickly because this offer is only valid until midnight on April 9th, 2025!

Give it some thought. Ponder it over. Maybe it's right for you!

What's the worst that could happen?

(In all seriousness, I really am providing an AMA about ADHD. Thought it would be a good chance to try out some copy principles from @SinisterLex 's school of hard knocks!)​

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

tminch55

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
296%
Jun 24, 2014
First of all, you deserve a hug, so here a hug to you.
Then : Do you have a strict schedule ?

I tried a tight schedule with strict deadlines. I do well with it for a day or so and then my ADHD fueled mind rebels with a binge of procrastination like you have never seen.

My solution? I carry a piece of paper that fits in my back pocket. That piece of paper contains five items I will get done that day outside of my day job.

The five functions are vital to my success as a husband/father and entrepreneur. If it's not important, it doesn't make the list.

Ever see the movie "Yes Man" with Jim Carey? Jim Carey drastically improves his life by saying yes to every opportunity that comes up.
That movie is also full of crap because that was my daily life pre-diagnosis and I was an absolute failure.

I learned to become a "No Man".

Three things are important to me in my life:

My Faith/Family
My means of making an income
Fastlane Success

If it's not a tree limb through my abdomen type of emergency, I answer any request that veers from my five items with "No, thank you". Otherwise, I'm changing directions 100 times per day.

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
WHO AM I?
I'm a card carrying member of the exclusive ---all you can eat--- Attention Deficit Disorder Buffet. This disorder is very common among entrepreneurs, so I believe I can provide value to anyone on this forum who has a question about it. Allow me to help you.

Here are some of my notable "achievements" for the first 25 years of my life (pre-ADHD diagnosis)

7 failed jobs in 5 years
1 bankruptcy
1 Foreclosure
2 Vehicle repossessions

2 college degrees
1 beautiful wife
3 fantastic children
3 career promotions

Not necessarily. I'm a Slowlane success. I want to be a Fastlane success. However, for someone with ADHD, this is a positive turnaround. I am currently an ANALYST.

As in, someone with ADHD who sits for 10 hours a day ANALYZING and manipulating data.

But consider this...

But wait, there's MORE!

$$$FULL REFUND$$$

It's simple.

Ask a question.

Press Submit.

But do it quickly because this offer is only valid until midnight on April 9th, 2025!

(In all seriousness, I really am providing an AMA about ADHD. Thought it would be a good chance to try out some copy principles from @SinisterLex 's school of hard knocks!)​

Love it! Great job!

A+ :)

Metabaron

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Feb 16, 2015
Indiana
Could you give an example of how your day's schedule normally looks? Does your wife work or stay at home? Just wondering where you find time for fastlane work while working a slowlane with a family.

PS: <--- This guy has ADHD, a young daughter, and a wife who works full time. Your advice sounds very valuable to someone like me :)

tminch55

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
296%
Jun 24, 2014
A personal question if you dont mind : Do you think your spouse plays a BIG role in keeping you grounded ?

I would say my spouse does play a big role, but not in the way most think.

If she tried to control me and reign me in, I would rebel. I'm not a big fan of authority or rules and she understands that.

She keeps me grounded because her and my Children are my REASON for wanting to perform at a high level and achieve outstanding results. I want them to be taken care of, so I wake up every day with that responsibility fueling me.

I don't believe a person needs a spouse to reign them in... they just need a reason (bigger than themselves) to perform.

Without that reason, it's too easy for someone with ADHD to cave into short term pleasure. We are constantly craving stimulation for our dopamine starved prefrontal cortex.

tminch55

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
296%
Jun 24, 2014
Could you give an example of how your day's schedule normally looks? Does your wife work or stay at home? Just wondering where you find time for fastlane work while working a slowlane with a family.

PS: <--- This guy has ADHD, a young daughter, and a wife who works full time. Your advice sounds very valuable to someone like me :)

Zed, I will expand on this as much as you would like to help you out, but I encourage you not to overcomplicate your schedule. I write down five important things to get done that day, and I don't veer from that unless something crazy happens.

My wife and I both work first shift, so 7am to 7pm is pretty much gone. I refuse to sacrafice family time in the evenings, so 7pm to 10pm is gone. That leaves me between 10pm and 7am to accomplish what I want. Usually about 4 hours. I normally get up at a crazy early hour.

The sacrificial lamb in my life is sleep. I do five hours per night. When I get out of corporate America and work solely for myself, I want to get 7-8 hours per night.

I work when everyone else is in bed. It's the only time we get anything done anyway.

I tried the "sit on the couch and multi task while being involved with the family" thing for years. It doesn't work. Multi tasking is a farce, especially for those of us with ADHD.

Utilize your hyperfocus with one single goal. It's the one advantage this disorder gives us.

tminch55

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
296%
Jun 24, 2014
Do you take (or have taken ?) any meds for your ADHD?

Yes, I have taken Ritalin, Vyvanse, and Adderall.

When first diagnosed, there is a lot of trial and error to find the best medication and dosage for you. It's very important to have a good Doctor who is up to date on this disorder who can guide you through the process.

After months of trial and error, we settled on a low dose of Adderall twice per day.

This works better for me than an extended release like Vyvanse because I'm able to choose the five hour blocks that I'm most productive as opposed to having to settle for a straight 8-10 hours.

Does that make sense?

jmusic

Meep.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
Mar 4, 2015
I like your idea! I'm guessing this is your "step 1" for Lex's 15 Days to Freedom.

After months of trial and error, we settled on a low dose of Adderall twice per day.

Do you feel this has been a major contributor to improving focus & the resulting successes in your life?

tminch55

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
296%
Jun 24, 2014
What would your number one advice

Make a list of what you are good at and tailor your life to your strengths. If you absolutely despise something, you simply will not be effective at it because of the nature of this disorder. Square peg/ round hole isn't effective. All this mentality leads to is you beating yourself down all the time and bruising the hell out of your ego. Don't use ADHD as a crutch, but understand that it's called a DISORDER for a reason.

Here's an example... In my Analyst job I'm expected to mentally crunch data and memorize it so I can regurgitate trends, schedule production, measure efficiency, etc. I would be absolutely terrible if I did things the traditional route!

Instead, I develop complex spreadsheets that work on auto pilot. A little copy and paste here and there, and I have the information I need.

Instead of banging my head against my desk all day trying to memorize shit that doesn't interest me, I hyper focus on maintaining and improving spreadsheets (something that I halfway enjoy doing). When people ask me questions, I don't just spit out answers based upon what I've memorized... I print out summaries of the reports I've created that give them more details and information than anything I could provide. Plus, it gives them a printout so they don't forget our conversation in 10 seconds.

My last evaluation said I was the companies "best problem solver." Why? Because I hate doing boring shit and come up with ways to not have to do it anymore. Try to apply this to your business... Don't like crunching numbers? Hire a cheap assistant. Do you suck at sales and hate the thought of selling? Find a partner who doesn't.

Sorry about the rambling... I'm beating ADD, but I'm not symptomless. :)

tminch55

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
296%
Jun 24, 2014
I like your idea! I'm guessing this is your "step 1" for Lex's 15 Days to Freedom.

Do you feel this has been a major contributor to improving focus & the resulting successes in your life?

This technically isn't step one for Lex's 15 days of freedom. I'm a little past that, but it occurred to me today that this is one area that I can truly help people TODAY, so it would be robbing the forum of some value (however small it may be) if I didn't do this.

As far as the medication goes, it's one of many forms of therapy that help me. I would say that it's been a large part of my Slowlane success because it takes the edge off of the terribly boring tasks that I have to do. When I'm doing something that I truly like and can get into hyperfocus mode, the medication isn't of benefit. I rarely even need the medication when I'm working on my side business.

On the flip side, if I have to sit through a 3 hour meeting at work, the medication is a life saver. Pre-medication I literally would get so bored in these moronic marathon meetings I would go into a half-a$$ anxiety attack. There has been a time or two that I made up reasons to leave work so I didn't completely flip out in the middle of them.

The Adderall gives my prefrontal cortex just enough stimulation to keep me relaxed and able to focus on something I despise.

I wouldn't recommend ANYONE with ADHD get a slowlane job if they didn't have to have the consistent income. Unfortunately, I had family responsibilities well before I was diagnosed, so a consistent high income is important until I'm in my salary ballpark through my side business.

Basically, if you enjoy what you are doing, there are ways to work around your ADHD. If you despise what you do but need the income, medication is key until you get out of the slowlane.

Thomas1980

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
186%
Jan 26, 2014
Yes, I have taken Ritalin, Vyvanse, and Adderall.

When first diagnosed, there is a lot of trial and error to find the best medication and dosage for you. It's very important to have a good Doctor who is up to date on this disorder who can guide you through the process.

This works better for me than an extended release like Vyvanse because I'm able to choose the five hour blocks that I'm most productive as opposed to having to settle for a straight 8-10 hours.

Does that make sense?

A couple years ago, one of my co workers introduced me to Adderall and oh my God that stuff was good! I know, shame on her for giving it to me and shame on me for taking something that wasn't prescribed to me, but man I felt like Superman each time I took it. A few minutes after taking it, my mind would go into a state euphoria. I became happy and more importantly task oriented. I was knocking out tasks that needed to be completed, and even started on projects that weren't due for a couple weeks. I miss that little pill...

You've been so focused and disciplined over a significant amount of time, do you think you'd be able to keep it up if you stopped taking Aderall?

PaulRobert

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
May 15, 2009
New Jersey

tminch55

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
296%
Jun 24, 2014
A couple years ago, one of my co workers introduced me to Adderall and oh my God that stuff was good! I know, shame on her for giving it to me and shame on me for taking something that wasn't prescribed to me, but man I felt like Superman each time I took it. A few minutes after taking it, my mind would go into a state euphoria. I became happy and more importantly task oriented. I was knocking out tasks that needed to be completed, and even started on projects that weren't due for a couple weeks. I miss that little pill...

You've been so focused and disciplined over a significant amount of time, do you think you'd be able to keep it up if you stopped taking Aderall?

No hard feelings on the Adderall my friend. You're not the first one to ever do that. :)

From a Slowlane career perspective, I shutter at the thought of going back to the days of pre medication. I would have been terminated by now. For me, Adderall is an equalizer that allows me to focus at the same level as the rest of the drones that I work with.

I'm pretty confident when I'm done with the slow lane that I will be able to make due without medication. If not, I won't be ashamed, though. Taking my meds is the same to me as wearing my glasses.... just need it.

Maria i Carrera

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Jan 16, 2015
WHO AM I?

7 failed jobs in 5 years
1 bankruptcy
1 Foreclosure
2 Vehicle repossessions

2 college degrees
1 beautiful wife
3 fantastic children
3 career promotions

But consider this...

But wait, there's MORE!

$$$FULL REFUND$$$

It's simple.

Ask a question.

Press Submit.

I am so happy to have read your post. I also have a serious case ADHD, always felt that was an obstacle for my success. But, as I have matured, I love my ADHD, energy for ever!!!!.. I am the master of multitasking even if I don't finish a damn thing...wooohooo

jmusic

Meep.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
Mar 4, 2015
No hard feelings on the Adderall my friend. You're not the first one to ever do that. :)

From a Slowlane career perspective, I shutter at the thought of going back to the days of pre medication. I would have been terminated by now. For me, Adderall is an equalizer that allows me to focus at the same level as the rest of the drones that I work with.

I'm pretty confident when I'm done with the slow lane that I will be able to make due without medication. If not, I won't be ashamed, though. Taking my meds is the same to me as wearing my glasses.... just need it.

Wow. I'm gonna talk to my doc. I can't even sit through a 30 minute meeting without getting incredibly fidgety. I often procrastinate to the point of missing deadlines in favor of reading blogs & posting on forums. I can't even focus on side ventures at home; I've always got 10 different hobbies and ventures floating around in my head and I haven't made real progress in any of them before switching gears.

tminch55

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
296%
Jun 24, 2014
Wow. I'm gonna talk to my doc. I can't even sit through a 30 minute meeting without getting incredibly fidgety. I often procrastinate to the point of missing deadlines in favor of reading blogs & posting on forums. I can't even focus on side ventures at home; I've always got 10 different hobbies and ventures floating around in my head and I haven't made real progress in any of them before switching gears.

I would encourage you not to shoot from the hip when you visit your doctor. I would come prepared with some of the pre ADHD screenings you can take online. It's not a diagnosis, but it gives you and your doctor a starting point.

Also, check out a TV documentary called ADD and loving it!?!?! It was very helpful for me.

Go in to the appointment seeking an answer to the problems ADHD is causing in your life... not necessarily for the meds. It is too easy for doctors to write you off as a drug seeker in the beginning. Not only does that not help you with ADHD, it puts a strain on you and your doctor's relationship.

With that being said, its my non medical opinion that when taken responsibly for its intended purpose by a healthy adult, stimulant medications are as safe as a cup of coffee or an aspirin tablet. Keep in mind, this is just my opinion and should not be used as medical expertise.

Mineralogic

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Jul 28, 2014
Thanks for the input! Definitely a way to look at it. Here is an opposing view.

its true, the guy who NAMED ADD/ADHD on his deathbed told the world it was all fake

if anything you just need to focus on your nutrition and make sure your neurotransmitter/neuron health is excellent. the rest is just personality. sorry folks...drugs suck and all drugs have side effects. Ritalin/Adderal do as well

tminch55

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
296%
Jun 24, 2014
its true, the guy who NAMED ADD/ADHD on his deathbed told the world it was all fake

if anything you just need to focus on your nutrition and make sure your neurotransmitter/neuron health is excellent. the rest is just personality. sorry folks...drugs suck and all drugs have side effects. Ritalin/Adderal do as well

I encourage you to double check your facts as both statements are incorrect.

Pete799p

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Aug 18, 2011
Great thread, I think this personality trait is relatively common among entrepreneurs etc. I always thought I had ADD/ADHD since I was a kid. Over the years several of my teachers made comments etc. but my family did not want to put me on meds which I agreed with.

I have always designed my life around this. I have a million hobbies, love the outdoors and have found the seasonality of outdoor sports to really agree with me. I also had a business that was somewhat cyclical with a multitude of jobs from physical work to mental etc. that really worked well for me and I loved it. In hindsight I can really see how it fit my personality.

Now I am working on/in a more tradition job/business that is quite a bit more binary then my old business and there really isn't any physicality to the work. Mostly mental etc. I find that when I get into a groove I can really crank, producing great results, and have been told that I have a talent for what I am doing. However, I find that after a long time in the office I start getting really restless and fidgety. I do plan on buying a standup desk so I can move around a bit more. Plus I do really like what I am doing and can see a really great future in it.

Basically would like to get your opinion etc as well as how you would go about finding the right doctor and if you think you could see yourself taking medication on an as needed basis vs. all the time.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
That's good a question Charmander. I have a son that was diagnosed with A.D.H.D when he was four and supposedly was going to be a delinquent in his teens. I gave him meds all his life. Took him to specialists. I'll admit when he's was young he was very energetic, and into everything. When he was in his teens I figured out he was taking pills for the side effects of concerta. His behaviors were better off the medicine, felt better, and never has been in trouble. So, I feel guilty sometimes that maybe I was giving him meds the whole time from side effects from the meds rather then him having A.D.H.D.

So, it doesn't make sense what they were telling me would happen, but he never turned out the way they projected A.D.H.D. on him.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.