The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Stop Watching the News!

Anything related to matters of the mind

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
The news is for people that don't have anything of their own going on.

Think of the last time that you had a great day. Do you remember the news that day? Did you watch the news? Or did you just kill it and not give a shit about things that didn't pertain to you?

When you were five years old, concerned with playing and running fast, did you care what was on the news when your parents put it on at night? Or did you never care?

Caring about bullshit isn't natural. It's taught and embedded in us through societal norms.

Modern news is manipulated to teach us what to hate or be outraged at.

Modern news is cancer.

It provides zero value, and infinite opportunity for outrage. Disagree? Name the last time you watched an hour long news program and acquired a piece of knowledge that made your life better.

Exceptions: Financial News, niche news, etc.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Bearcorp

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
237%
Jul 2, 2012
Australia
I've been thinking for myself, and that's why I keep asking myself why are non-Brits so infatuated with the recent British royal wedding. Never even heard of "Meghan Markle" until the past few days where I see the name plastered everywhere on news. :thumbsdown::rage:

Maybe the question you could ask is;

"How do I leverage off the most trending topic in the world right now to my advantage?"

1.9 billion people watched the wedding live, mainstream media and social media feeds for the next week or so will mainly consist of memes, articles and topics relating to the event, there is nothing more "trending" than this at the moment. YOU don't have to like it or be interested in it, but sh*t loads of people are.

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
Think for yourself and never stop asking 'why'.

I've been thinking for myself, and that's why I keep asking myself why are non-Brits so infatuated with the recent British royal wedding. Never even heard of "Meghan Markle" until the past few days where I see the name plastered everywhere on news. :thumbsdown::rage:

TonyStark

I'm not dead yet
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Jul 20, 2015
Austin, Texas
I watch whatever I want cause I know how to form my own opinion like an adult.

I know how to differentiate between fact and fiction.

So it doesn’t really bother me.

I don’t blame the media for my problems, because the media doesn’t take action for me; I do.

Last edited:

Thoelt53

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Dec 8, 2016
Boston, MA
I'd like to imagine that most folks here aren't big mainstream media consumers.

But in the event that you are, check out this video:

Just like we were indoctrinated in school, we are subjected to continued adult indoctrination via the media.

That is the threat to our "democracy."

Think for yourself and never stop asking 'why'.

Bearcorp

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
237%
Jul 2, 2012
Australia
The news is for people that don't have anything of their own going on.

Think of the last time that you had a great day. Do you remember the news that day? Did you watch the news? Or did you just kill it and not give a sh*t about things that didn't pertain to you?

When you were five years old, concerned with playing and running fast, did you care what was on the news when your parents put it on at night? Or did you never care?

Caring about bullshit isn't natural. It's taught and embedded in us through societal norms.

Modern news is manipulated to teach us what to hate or be outraged at.

Modern news is cancer.

It provides zero value, and infinite opportunity for outrage. Disagree? Name the last time you watched an hour long news program and acquired a piece of knowledge that made your life better.

Exceptions: Financial News, niche news, etc.

I don't disagree with any of this, but your business doesn't have to reflect your fastlane beliefs.

I don't let what I personally think get in the way of how I can connect to my market. Now keep in mind, I personally have a social media brand. I want organic, unpaid engagement. Nothing gets people chatting and connecting than the biggest trends in the world, so why not leverage off that? Much easier than re-inventing the wheel. (although when theres not much happening online I do that as well)

If I tried getting organic engagement on social media with ONLY fasteners the odds would say I have little hope because there isn't many fastlaners in general, let alone on social media. I don't target fastlaners, I target people that are active on social media.

If you're building a business based on trends, you're likely building trash.

For sure if its based solely on trends, but if its a business that is self sufficient but rides a few epic waves here and there, well who doesn't love a good surfer haha!

GoGetter24

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
210%
Oct 8, 2017
Various
To be honest I don't know anyone who does watch the news anymore. It's usually just something on in the background in a lobby.

I don't really see how they can call "Trump is bad" and "The middle east is still effed" as news. That's olds. We've heard all that crap. I'd rather watch "daily dose of internet" anyday.

jramos02

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
May 18, 2018
New York
News have always seemed like a waste of time to me. They just talk about things that will scare me to death and depress me to hell. Specifically because it is things I have no control over.

If something is important enough I will hear about it. If not, then it doesn't matter in the first place.

Argue

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
385%
Oct 1, 2016
NYC
I watch whatever I want cause I know how to form my own opinion like an adult.

I know how to differentiate between fact and fiction.

So it doesn’t really bother me.

I don’t blame the media for my problems, because the media doesn’t take action for me. I do.

That’s good. But you’d be surprised how many people can’t.

______

The news is a waste of time. @AgainstAllOdds said it best.

The news is designed to brainwash the masses. It’s junk food for the brain.

WestCoast

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
311%
Jan 20, 2008
Rhode Island for now.
One of the greatest contributions to my ability to have a lot of free time: I don't consume any news at all.

Not only do I not have a TV, or social media, but I don't read papers, and I avoid any TVs when I'm in a lounge in an airport, or in a restaurant crass enough to have a TV in the first place.

Then I don't discuss it with partially informed friends and people around town.
I don't stress about what *other* people are doing with their lives.

I also don't pay ANY attention to sports and I certainly don't waste a moment of time worrying what professional sports team beat which other professional sports team on Thursday evening.... good lord.

THIS alone has saved me so much time, I've taken up a new hobby, I'm traveling the world, and expanding my business - and STILL have free time each day.

--
Now, to the idea that you can profit off of the mindless masses consuming buzzfeed, huffington post, facebook, youtube stuff endlessly. YES, you totally can.
But, I feel like that's selling sugar to overweight americans.... not my thing.

Honestly, the entire idea of watching other people do stuff... and having billions of people all sitting around watching and consuming the content of a *few* people.... I just... I don't get it.

Ludo

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
85%
Apr 30, 2018
The Hague, The Netherlands
I used to read/watch news a lot. But I noticed that it's all the same just in a slightly different package, most of the time to frame. The level of depth is most of the time too limited to get a full picture (regardless if they really want to give you the full picture). And the level of complexity is also strictly limited to make it understandable to every viewer.

Now I only read news/on certain topics that add value in my field/specific interest or goals and aren't based on emotion or trends.

Thoelt53

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Dec 8, 2016
Boston, MA
To be honest I don't know anyone who does watch the news anymore. It's usually just something on in the background in a lobby.

I don't really see how they can call "Trump is bad" and "The middle east is still effed" as news. That's olds. We've heard all that crap. I'd rather watch "daily dose of internet" anyday.
Drive through any suburban neighborhood after dinner and you'll be shocked to see how many TVs are tuned into CNN/Fox/itsallthesamewhatever.

All of that 'news' is the old 'if it bleeds, it leads.' People love confrontation and fighting, the media outlets know this so they push it because it equals more ad revenue.

If a 'story' can push an agenda AND generate huge ad revenue, bet that it'll be breaking news on just about every network.

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
I haven't watched the news in many, many years. I did look at a newspaper for the first time in a decade or so at the end of last year while I was visiting at a hospital. World events? I'll pass on what is going on nowadays, I'm not interested in all the stupidity.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.