The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Stop, saying it doesn't take money to make money and prove IT

Status
Not open for further replies.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Stop, saying it doesn't take money to make money and prove IT

Translation: Prove to me that my bullshit is real so I can go on comfortably bullshitting myself.

Departed

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Jul 15, 2017
Europe
uk0JPOa.jpg

lewj24

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 12, 2016
St. Louis, MO
The point of this saying is to stop people from making the excuse that they can't start a business because they have no money.

You can argue all day long that you need clothing, food, electricity, water, wifi, a place to live, etc. in order to make money and all of that costs money. But that is a ridiculous argument.

Most people have enough resources right now to start a business or get a job. How much does it cost to get a job at McDonalds? Get a job anywhere? After you have this job how much of that money do you need to start a business? I'd argue that it's a relatively small amount.

Most people would rather say, "I'd love to be my own boss in my own company but I don't have the money." It is an easy excuse that wipes their ego clean of regret and disappointment because the situation is out of their control. Even though most people make plenty of money that can be used to start a business. They get scared and lie to themselves that in order to become rich you have to start rich.

Look up any rags to riches story. Those prove it doesn't take money to make money. It takes work, brains, and some social skills.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Waspy

Float like a butterfly
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
461%
Dec 6, 2016
U.K.
When you strip down your argument, all you are really saying is “it costs money to exist as a human on planet earth”

It’s just an incomprehensivly poor and pointless argument.

Go get busy doing, rather than arguing the semantics of a well intentioned saying.

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
472%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
Mental masturbation.

DING DING DING

Dude, honestly, what are you hoping to get out of this forum? Posting senseless philosophy or debating semantics gets no one any steps closer to succeeding at business.

This forum isn’t reddit. We’re here to contribute value to succeed at our own business or help other to succeed at theirs.

Can you honestly say any of these posts you’ve done over the past couple days have helped you to move the needle on your business or someone else’s?

JSM

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
243%
Nov 19, 2016
What are you even trying to do in this thread?

It sure seems like you’re not trying to provide value so what’s the point other than to waste peoples time.

#landfill

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Humans invented trade. Humans created money. So .. at some point it did not require money to make money. The end. Now can ya'll please stop sucking me back into this #dramazone. I've got real business to tend to ..

knockout.gif

Waspy

Float like a butterfly
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
461%
Dec 6, 2016
U.K.
Are you being intentionally obtuse?

Yes your library isn’t free because of “dem tax dollarz” but that’s really irrelevant to the phrase.

I feel you have completely missed the point and sentiment of the saying.

My take away from the phrase is that I shouldn’t go looking for 100k investment is I can start it on $50 and make it work.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
How do you know that people talking about needing money, don't just need $50? Did you ask them?
I see lots of people posting that that "just need money" I don't see many posting saying "I need a million or $500,000 or insert arbitrary figure here"

Maybe they just need gas money to get to market to sell their product.

You started your idea with $100, so if someone else wanted to start that in the same place and time, and only had $50, they'd need money right? $50 to be precise.

Maybe they could sell something for $50.

If you can’t come up with $50-$100 then you aren’t going to succeed anyway. And yes I’ll confidently say that people who say that aren’t talking about needing $100 or even $200.

I’m also going to go out on a limb and say that you’ve never started a business based on your posts in this thread.

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
Well, technically I had $3.17 but we didn't use that money to start our business. We 'borrowed' a bottle of window cleaner, a bottle of shower cleaner, we cut bath towels in to small towels to use and we had a vacuum that was more for looks because as far as sucking it didn't..... or did it? Well, it did suck, just not the dirt off the carpet. I ended up making a couple of bucks from that business throughout the years. Best $3.17 I never spent. :)

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
People saying they need money to make money aren’t talking about needing $50. I don’t understand your argument, do you want people to say it takes at least $50 to make money? That sounds even more ridiculous.

Btw i started my business with $100 which I sold earlier this year for a large amount of money.

TKDTyler

The Tea Guy
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
347%
Aug 25, 2014
Give me an example where not a single penny was spent and you got money and I will give you €30 for the value add.

There was a dude (I think he was on this forum, I may be mistaken though) that created a web development service by leveraging outsourcing.

Freelancer and took a client. Got partial payment up front and at milestones. Paid his developers oversees and finished projects. Rinse, repeat. None of his money invested and created profit from nothing. Just a resourceful person.

Can I have my 30 Euros so I can finally become rich?

eliquid

( Jason Brown )
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
519%
May 29, 2013
When I was 16, I showed up for work my first day.

My mom gave me the clothes I had on, she drove me there, and even packed my lunch for me.

I ended up getting paid.

I had ZERO dollars and I put in ZERO dollars. I made money though.

Same thing happened in my "business" too.

My mom is a really great person.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
So did you shovel with your hands? Did you get the shovel for free?

Wow, you sir are truly an idiot. Yes her got the shovel for free, I will bet that his parents already had a shovel. You better pay him the £30.

GoGetter24

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
210%
Oct 8, 2017
Various
there is a massive list of these guys, but none of them start with I walk to the nearest farm and ask to work for food.
Look up Sam Zemurray. He pretty much did that level of work. He sold bananas for other people. He had nothing. Zilch. They supplied the bananas and the cart (stock & capital), just like in any other job, and he just pushed it around yelling "bananas for sale". He saved up his wages, and then attempted his own business play (selling ripe bananas inland), and it panned out, making him a millionaire by his early twenties.

It's completely unambiguous that you can make money without money and there's no point demanding & pretending otherwise. Dan Pena is another good story in this. He started with a few hundred bucks and a phone, and simply bootstrapped his way up to millions by leveraging banks (other people's money), his communication skills, and primarily: working like a maniac. And there's Turakhia: youngest billionaire in India, started in IT using his school's computers. If you live in a civilization, guarantee you you have access to public libraries & probably public schools too.

I guarantee you there's someone out there who started a business using refuse. Found a rag and a half-empty tin of shoe polish in a trash heap, and started shining shoes. Or found an old broom and offered sweeping driveways.

You're hunting for a catch 22 that isn't there, to pretend it's impossible, to back up your desire to give up. Come back to reality.

You should just take some time and chill out, and put down anything related to business. Come back to it when the rage is out of your system, have a rethink, and then try again on a new tack.

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
my first ''venture'' was shoveling snow, $0 startup. made a few hundred bucks.....

but like mentioned above, if you cant manage to come up with a few hundred bucks you have some big problems you need to tackle.

MitchC

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Mar 8, 2014
Australia
The fact that your posting on here means you or anyone who says they need money has access to internet and a computer so saying they have no money for that is pointless. So let’s come up with ideas for the people you’re talking about in this thread who don’t even have 10cents to thier name yet somehow managed to post on this forum from a computer with internet.

With just internet and computer you can go on Upwork.com and get jobs writing articles, you could do it in notepad or open office or google docs if you have no money for software. You could also do web design, copywriting and save up for photoshop and then you can do graphic design photo editing social media management and now you have money. There you go, money from nothing. Oh it takes work you say? Yeah no shit it takes work to make money and a lot of work to make a lot of money, maybe that’s your problem.

Don’t like that idea? Start a Shopify free trial and test products from aliexpress. Use free traffic sources till you get money for ads. There you go. Now you have a scalable business started with $0.

LittleWolfie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Jun 28, 2018
Holbeach Hurn
No you can't make money without putting money in.

Go beg in the street for a penny if needed.

You might need a very small amount . Maybe one penny.

The lawyers call it a peppercorn because you can't have a contract with out paying something, maybe a penny.

You probably invested in yourself, or advertised or travelled to the customers. If it was online did you access the internet free at the public library (it's not free taxes paid for those)

If you used your contacts, well how did you make them, did you never travel to them (costs money) did you never have food or drinks with them?

Give me an example where not a single penny was spent and you got money and I will give you €30 for the value add.

No inheritance does not count and neither does posting a reply here (unless you have a free phone and free internet) pick any of the flipping threads where they work for no money.

LittleWolfie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Jun 28, 2018
Holbeach Hurn
"take away from the phrase is that I shouldn’t go looking for 100k investment is I can start it on $50 and make it work"

Why not say that to the posters saying that they can't start because they need money? When they say the need money, well how are they getting online? Can they sell a or pawn a laptop for money, make profit and buy it back again?

Most of the threads they are not saying they need 100k, just money. Maybe they only need $50 to.get started. Maybe find out the context before telling them they don't need it.

Wouldn't that be a better response than "change dem mindzet" It comes across to me as being intentionally obtuse. I know that isn't the sentiment behind it, but it doesn't match.

"I feel you have completely missed the point and sentiment of the saying. "

That's kind of my point, what you mean with the phrase isn't what your saying, so I can see why people are struggling, I realise what the sentiment is and that it's not a case of being a jerk and I can see how the point can be clearer.

Maybe for some people the block is they literally don't understand, you might as well be speaking double Dutch.

It would be interesting to see how many of the people who can't change the mindset are non native speakers in English.

Remember this forum, is a diverse lot availble to the world. I think one poster was German, would you understand it if I said his business plan was pfouten hoch (paws up) ?

I'm guessing he would and thats probably one of the simpler idioms.

Idoms do not usally translate well and that's before you consider context getting lost through the medium of text. If you were sitting in a cafe, you'd hear the heavy accent, see the person struggling with the words, looking at their translate app, and you would realise they are struggling to understand and you might change your language to try and get your point across in another way or perhaps use simpler more direct language. That effort is all hidden on the forum

I'm saying the point of the phrase doesn't seem.to be clear from the phrase,it is a terrible one.

So

"Say what you mean, and mean what you say"if they are having trouble is asking for actionable steps, try being more literal, find out what their other languages are, maybe someone can translate.

"My take away from the phrase is that I shouldn’t go looking for 100k investment is I can start it on $50 and make it work"

Then say that,don't post "change your mindset first"

I've used you as something as a standin, I've not been through all your post history, but this aimed at those posting you need to change your mindset all.the time. Engage, and help or just don't bother.

LittleWolfie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Jun 28, 2018
Holbeach Hurn
"The point of this saying is to stop people from making the excuse that they can't start a business because they have no money."

It's not doing a very good job,imho.

You can argue all day long that you need clothing, food, electricity, water, wifi, a place to live, etc. in order to make money and all of that costs money.

"But that is a ridiculous argument " your missing the point, if you have any of those things you can sell.them for money, if literally all you need is money and you sell clothes, then you have money. If you can afford to reach the forum you may be asset rich, cash poor.

When I sold videogames, I got money.

"Most people have enough resources right now to start a business or get a job. How much does it cost to get a job at McDonalds? Get a job anywhere? After you have this job how much of that money do you need to start a business? I'd argue that it's a relatively small amount.

Most people would rather say, "I'd love to be my own boss in my own company but I don't have the money." It is an easy excuse that wipes their ego clean of regret and disappointment because the situation is out of their control. Even though most people make plenty of money that can be used to start a business. They get scared and lie to themselves that in order to become rich you have to start rich.

Look up any rags to riches story. Those prove it doesn't take money to make money. It takes work, brains, and some social skills"

That's the point they might only need a small amount of money and most People have the resources.

I can think of lots of examples where it's easier to start a business than get a job. Maybe it's sell a DVD, buy one from someone else and sell that. That might be easier or harder depends on what resources and ability you have I guess. There's not enough McDonald's jobs to go round though, so if it takes you 100 shifts and you have none will.take a while.

That said I did like the book itself points out that it makes the assumption that the person reading the book is employed. Does that mean the unemployed can't fastlane?

Every single rags to riches story, I read needed money to make money, like you say most People have those resources, so they did too. It's rags to riches not bare naked because I don't have any money to pay for clothes.

LittleWolfie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Jun 28, 2018
Holbeach Hurn
When you strip down your argument, all you are really saying is “it costs money to exist as a human on planet earth”

It’s just an incomprehensivly poor and pointless argument.

Go get busy doing, rather than arguing the semantics of a well intentioned saying.

If "it costs money to exist as a human on planet earth" is true and speaker is human on planet earth then they have the money they need. Acknowledge they need money to start, then point out they already have it, by virtue of their mere existence.

My point is being missed again, I take issue with the phrasing. I

Instead of saying change mindset, we can say well "it costs money to exist on planet earth as a human, so either you do have the money" or greetings, what is the sky like on your planet? If you live on Mars, are you looking forward to Elon Musk turning up?

Then again AIs post on forums now so maybe the computers posting on their own, have a point, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!