The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Still haven't learned this in school?

kshy

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Apr 4, 2016
I'm trying to get some insight on some of the things I still have yet to learn in school, I do mean college. Let's say you start providing a service to customers, or selling a product, and start charging fees and collecting profit. When would you start filing taxes for that separate income? Would you file differently for that? Do you need a registered company name before earning any official profit, or any other forms of legal documents? Basically, what documents do you NEED to file when you start earning money, off of a product or service, so you're not in any legal trouble?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

funkj25

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Dec 5, 2011
This is a pretty broad based post for anyone to answer with something entirely concrete.

You don't technically NEED a business entity to make profit (for instance flipping stuff on craigslist), you could report that income as a sole-proprietor. Depending on what you're doing, a legal entity might be of use to you.

This is definitely an "it depends" situation. On what you're selling/providing, where you're doing it, for how much money, does it require licensing (hazmat, etc.). On and on.

Here's a couple good places to start
https://www.sba.gov/starting-business/business-licenses-permits/state-licenses-permits
http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/s-corporations-vs-sole-proprietorships.html

From there Google is going to be your friend as far as starting to figure out your own particular situation as well as searching the forum.

As always, I am not a lawyer and this post doesn't constitute legal or tax advice.

kshy

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Apr 4, 2016
It was vague because i dont have any specifics in mind. I was thinking in terms of, hypothetically, I have a service in mind to deliver some sort of edible goods to consumers, they buy it and that becomes my profit. I was just curious if i would need some sort of business entity to put this under when i file taxes. The vague answers did sum it up, and the websites are helpful.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.