The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Step by Step Online Success

sector7

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
521%
Jan 26, 2015
Greetings all,

I am a firm believer that opportunities are everywhere. Many individuals are under the impression that a revolutionary or unique idea is required in order to succeed and become wealthy. However, this way of thinking could not be further from the truth. In order to help the forum readers out, I want to go over six successful, online business ideas that have been tested by millions and that you can start implementing right now. The only quality which is mandatory that you posses for any of these six suggestions is the desire to succeed.

After briefly listing and describing the online business models, I will discuss each of them separately and give you tips and tricks to help you make your online business successful. Please take the time to carefully read each one to see which best fits and attracts you the most.

1. Online ShopsIt has never been easier to create an e-commerce website than it is today. In fact, there are now several shopping cart systems that you can use free of charge and only take a few hours to set up. The difficult part is finding the right items to sell and making sure you have a good profit margin.

PROS: fast implementation; relatively easy to maintain; constant profits; work becomes easy and can be automated once you find the right supplier(s); can be done passively.

CONS: sometimes difficult to find products to sell profitably; requires paid advertising to get sales; time consuming in the beginning; some experience in sales and marketing required; many trips to the post office (unless you use drop shipping).​

2. Online ServicesThere are thousands of websites which offer an online service to its users. A few examples are Netflix, Craigslist, GoDaddy and Google AdWords. All these websites offer a specific service to its users in exchange for a price. The more valuable and irreplaceable the service, the more clients you will have. This type of websites are some of the most profitable at the current time.

PROS: high profit potential; relatively easy to expand once website becomes known; if service is good, little advertising required; repeated customers month after month.

CONS: programming knowledge required or money for investment; customer service skills a must; some experience in sales and marketing required; difficult to do by yourself.​

3. Selling Ad Space - Many high traffic websites such as blogs, news sites, entertainment websites and forums can benefit from earning income by placing ads. The ads can be Google AdSense ads or any other ad network that pays for placing ads on your site. You might also be contacted (or you can contact them) directly by a company willing to pay in exchange for placing their company’s banner on your website. Don’t count on this as your only source of income.

PROS: passive income; many ad networks to choose from; tricks and optimizations to increase click through rate on the ads and increase income; the higher your traffic, the higher the profit.

CONS: extremely high traffic is vital; requires constant addition of new content to keep visitors coming to your site; many online users now use ad blockers making the ads on your site nonexistent for them; relatively small profits even for high traffic sites ($100 -$5 000 / month).​

4. Affiliate Marketing - The term affiliate refers to attaching yourself to another company and advertising their services or products in exchange for part of their profits. This usually means adding some sort of banner on your website advertising someone else’s product or service and getting a certain percentage of the profit if and only if one of your visitors clicks on the banner and purchases the product or service offered. There are many affiliate programs to choose from but some of the better known ones are: Amazon Associates, GoDaddy Affiliate, eBay Affiliate, Commission Junction and ShareASale.

PROS: passive income; many affiliate networks to choose from; tricks and optimizations to increase profit; taking advantage of another brand’s popularity to make profit.

CONS: high traffic is vital; requires constant addition of new content to keep visitors coming to your site; relatively small profits even for high traffic sites, some affiliate programs don’t pay on time or don’t pay the right amount.​

5. E-product Sites – The popularity of selling a digital downloadable file has increased significantly in the last several years. The idea is to make one or many different websites that each sell a single product or that have a whole library of products to choose from. If you have created your own PDF or other type of document containing valuable information, then you can most likely sell it for a reasonable price. It can also work by re-selling an existing document written by someone else but keep in mind that you are not always allowed to do this. Contact the original author beforehand.

PROS: fast implementation; no advanced technical skills necessary; tricks and optimizations to increase sales; can be very profitable;

CONS: advertising it could get expensive; sometimes difficult to find interested people; always need to find new customers or requires constant addition of new content to keep old customers engaged; need to be a good writer and an expert in a certain field.​

6. Membership sites - Perhaps the most effective way of making a passive income online is to charge your visitors in order to access your website or have exclusive access to a certain part of your site. In order to have visitors willing to pay for a monthly or yearly membership, the content needs to be worth their time and money. This can be applied to almost all the website models described above, but it usually works best for online communities where new and valuable content is added on a daily basis.

PROS: passive income; other members can contribute with valuable information; helps build a network of people with similar mindsets.

CONS: sometimes difficult to find people willing to pay; need to have valuable content not found anywhere else; many users end membership for various reasons.​

Remember, you can combine two or more of these business models in order to increase your profits. This website is a perfect example of that! It combines methods 1, 3, 4, 5 and 6 all in one!

In my next post, I will discuss the first of the six business models I mentioned, Online Shops. If you have any questions feel free to send me a message or post in this topic.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited by a moderator:

Silverhawk851

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
482%
Sep 22, 2012
Toronto/Traveling
Good post bud! Rep +

Luffy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Dec 20, 2014
Very Informative, thanks for making this thread.

sector7

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
521%
Jan 26, 2015
Without further ado, I present,

Online Stores

There are two distinct methods of creating an online store. Although both can be very profitable, the execution differs greatly. The first option is to make or manufacture your own item/s while the second option is to sell someone else’s items at a higher price than what you initially paid for them. In this article I will focus on the latter since it’s significantly easier to implement (but if you already have an idea for a product you'd like to manufacture, the first choice might be better).

Before going into more detail on making your e-commerce website, keep in mind that you can apply most of these execution strategies by using eBay or Amazon instead of creating your own website. If you choose to do so, remember that you would lose 10-15% on each sale due to commission. There are many good tutorials on selling through Amazon and eBay online and I've also seen some good ones here on the forum, so I won't be discussing that.

For those wanting to create their own online stores, there are several great options. You will first need a good domain name (only $12 / year) and a hosting provider. If you need help setting up your your domain and hosting, you can let me know here or send me a message.

Quick overview:
  • expected monthly profits in the first year: $100 to $20 000 (but theoretically the sky's the limit)
  • Online stores successful examples: amazon.com, newegg.com, tigerdirect.com, nike.com, macys.com
  • Money required to start: ~$500 (to buy hosting and inventory, but can be done with even less)
SECTION A: Choosing a platform

Online stores are very complex and require hundreds of hours of coding if made from scratch. Luckily, there are now several different shopping cart platforms you can use and avoid most of the hassles and costs of hiring a programmer.

Small Stores – If you plan on selling only a few items and want to keep your store relatively small, the easiest method is to install the popular CMS called WordPress. There are some excellent shopping cart plugins for WordPress. I personally recommend the WP e-commerce plugin since it’s free and offers a variety of options. Visit the link for more information about the plugin and for a list of features but feel free to look for some other good ones as well.

Medium / Large Stores – If your online store has hundreds of different items, you should use a more scalable shopping cart system. My personal recommendations are Magento and OpenCart. Magento has a steeper learning curve so it would not be a great fit for a beginner. Both of these choices can be customized to fit all your needs. For a full list of features, visit the provided links.

Custom Made Stores - An e-commerce website made from scratch would most likely start at around $10,000. This would not be the best choice when starting out. Please first consider the options above, before investing thousands of dollars in your online store. In the majority of cases, the options above would be the better choice especially for a beginner.

Remember, there's nothing wrong with starting small. It's actually recommended that you do so in order to test out the market and get some experience.

SECTION B: Finding products to sell

In order to be successful with your store, you first need to do some market research. Ask yourself the following questions: “What do people need? What can I do better than the current competition? Would I buy this myself? How can I make my customer extremely satisfied?” Really think about these questions for a few days and try to answer each one in as much detail as possible. Write everything down when doing this! Always remember to put your future customer ahead of everything else when going through this thinking process.

A great way to find products to sell is by using Google Trends. As we all know, Google is the most popular search engine in the world. Millions of searches are done every minute but what are people actually searching for? Wouldn’t you say it would be extremely beneficial if you could know what peoples’ interests are? Google Trends is a free tool that lets you see exactly that. It shows how often a search term is entered relative to the total search volume across various countries. Although it doesn’t give you exact search volume numbers, it is still a great tool and it even lets you compare multiple search terms at once. For instance. let’s do a quick search on Google Trends and compare winter vs summer clothes. Take a look at the graph below. Based on this, do you think it would be a bright idea to sell scarfs in July and bikinis in January?
35a2o2p.png

Once you play around with Google Trends, you can try another free service offered by Google, specifically the Google Keyword Planner. In order to do this, you first need to sign up for a Google AdWords account (free of charge). Although this tool is mostly used by those interested in creating AdWords campaigns and selecting the right keywords for paid advertising, it can also be used simply to see the search volume of a particular keyword or group of keywords.

Let’s illustrate an example and search for the keyword "ebola" (the recent epidemic which was blown out of proportion by the media). Surprise, surprise! If you were going to sell some protective body suits, now is most likely not a good time. You should of thought of that in October of last year!
2v9dg93.png

If those two methods didn't help you come up with any ideas, go read some negative reviews! Who would have thought that you can find opportunities by reading negative reviews that people leave on various different products or services? This is one of the best methods of finding ways to improve something that already exists. If hundreds of people are dissatisfied with their purchase, why not take advantage of this opportunity by creating a similar product or service and improving it based on their complaints? This works especially well with products that are popular (hint: Google Trends) since there’s a huge market for the product. All you have to do is listen to what people want and start promoting it while making sure you use the added improvements as your main selling point in your marketing campaign. It doesn’t take much to “steal” your competition’s clients if your product or customer service is superior.

Another great method of finding out what people buy is to visit the eBay Top Products page. This shows the most searched keywords in each category. You can then proceed by selecting one of the items in the list, then look at how much it sells for and try to find it significantly cheaper somewhere else. eBay also offers a paid service called Marketplace Research to help you analyze a market and make a better informed decision.

Amazon has a similar feature like the eBay Top Products called Amazon Best sellers. Use it with confidence. It’s free of charge and updates every hour.

Spend several hours using these tools and see what you can come up with. Are you beginning to see opportunities? Once you start on an idea, don’t give up easily. Occasional or short term effort will be of no value to you. In order to get results, you must be persistent with your work and create positive, long lasting habits. In no other way can you achieve your goals. You will find many ideas very fast. Soon, you'll be seeing opportunities everywhere.

Once you find a potential product, search for it on AliExpress (wholesale prices), Alibaba (only use gold suppliers and onsite check, prices on here are usually retail but you can still find good deals) and Global Sources, and see if you can buy the product significantly cheaper than what it's selling for in your area. Try to contact manufacturers on Alibaba and Global Sources directly and negotiate a better deal with them. Ask them to send you a few samples before you invest a lot of money in the product. DO NOT order a lot until you’re sure the particular product sells well and that you can make a profit off of it.

Here’s a quick example: Go to Alibaba. Try to find 10-15 good suppliers for the product/s you want to sell. Select the 5 you like the most out of those 10. Ask each of them for samples. Once you get your samples, pick your favorite supplier, place a small order, place the product/s on your website and start selling it! Invest the money you make back into your business and buy more products afterward. Expand. Expand. Expand.

SECTION C: Putting it all together

Congratulations on getting this far! You should now know how to create your store and have a general idea about finding products. After you receive your first products, start putting them on your website for sale. Try to make everything look and be as simple and professional as possible. You want your visitors to easily navigate through your online store and know exactly what they’re purchasing. Remember, always put your customers first when thinking about your new business. What do they actually want? How can you make their shopping experience better? How can you give them a better deal? If you can answer these questions and then apply your answers, success in guaranteed.

You can now start advertising your store and your product/s. A great way for potential customers to find your store is through Search Engine Optimization (SEO). This means that when someone searches for certain keywords on Google or other search engines, your website will show up in their first search results. Most individuals only look at the first page of the search results so it is vital that you have a good ranking on Google. There are many great SEO tutorials online but if you need help or assistance, you can send me a message or post here. Rather than trying to rank high for many different keywords, try to focus on only a handful. Also, stay away from SEO companies that charge thousands of dollars for their services. In the majority of cases, they’re a waste of money.

Another great way to advertise your new website and products is through Google AdWords and Facebook Ads. Do some research on these before throwing your money at them. These details are beyond the scope of this post, but I will post more information about this in the near future.

SECTION D: EXPAND!

Buy more products, invest in advertising and continue going beyond your customers’ expectations! Instead of selling products from any category you can think of, I suggest you specialize in a niche. When you specialize in a niche it is easier to get relevant traffic to your site. It is also much easier to rank well in search engines for specific terms.

This post is only the tip of the ice berg so there is much more you can learn. If you want to expand your knowledge of online stores, I suggest you do some further reading on the following topics: drop shipping, merchant accounts, SSL certificates, negotiating with manufacturers, selling in holiday months, PPC advertising, customs brokers.

I wish your online store huge success! Feel free to ask me questions.

please do not copy this information without my permissions

sector7

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
521%
Jan 26, 2015
Online Services

Perhaps the most difficult (but most profitable) business model out of the six presented in the first post, is the online services business model. This either requires large sums of money for investment or exceptional marketing and programming skills. The concept is quite simple: come up with a service that people need and then charge money for them to use it.

There are many such examples of successful online service websites. Netflix (online) for instance, is a service that lets its users stream movies by paying a relatively small monthly fee. Craigslist, although free for most users, requires a payment in order to post classified ads in certain sections of the website. GoDaddy is a domain name and hosting account service that lets users purchase domain names and create websites on their GoDaddy servers. Google AdWords is the number one ad platform in the world (90%+ of Google's profits come from here) which allows anyone interested to advertise their website based on a daily budget. Although all these sound like great ideas, an idea is nothing without execution. This does not mean that any idea could work, but rather that you don’t need a perfect or revolutionary idea to be successful.

Facebook was not the first social network created, but yet they destroyed the competition. Google was not the first search engine in the 90s but it was able to surpass all the others. Amazon was not the first online marketplace but yet it succeeded beyond anyone’s expectations. We can go on with many more examples, but the bottom line is that you don’t need to reinvent the wheel. In fact, it's better, faster and easier to simply improve the wheel! Rather than spending countless hours trying to come up with something new that people might need, you should focus on improving a service that already exists and you know for sure that people need.

One of the best and simplest methods of finding a service that needs improvement is to read customer reviews. If customers are good at one thing, that thing is complaining. Take advantage of these free complaints and suggestions that someone else’s customers are giving away and make an improved version of the same service. This is the best possible way to “steal” your competition’s clients and come out on top. If people can find a better service, they will leave their current one in an instant and never look back.

The next and most difficult step is implementing the system you come up with. This might require hiring programmers, finding investors and hiring a marketing consultant. I recommend you take small but constant steps rather than investing huge sums of money right from the start. Since your service is based on an existing service with many customers, the need for validating your idea is not necessary. If your idea is revolutionary and has never been done before, make sure you validate it to make sure people are interested in it. If you don’t have the necessary skills to do everything on your own, you can post here or send me a message and I will try to put you in contact with the right people or give you some advice that applies to your particular problem.

Lastly, when you’re working on your online services business, forget perfection and focus on constant improvement. It’s perfectly fine to make mistakes as long as you learn from them and fix them. Make sure your customers are always satisfied, and if they’re not, definitely ask them why. A happy customer will always come back and will tell others about your service.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Value!!! We like value around here. Rep+.

sector7

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
521%
Jan 26, 2015
Thank you for the appreciations and for the rep everyone. I've been reading the forum quite a bit in the last week and I've seen some valuable information here. Without MJ DeMarco, this community wouldn't have existed, so you deserve everything in my rep bank MJ DeMarco (edit: seems to be a $100 limit on the transfer, so rather than exchanging $100, I'll try to find a better way of showing my appreciation).

Selling Ad Space

If you don’t already have a high traffic website, this method will be extremely hard for you to monetize. However, if you already have a blog or some other type of websites that gets thousands of unique visitors a month, then you can start earning some money by displaying ads on it. Although there are many options to choose from, I'll only discuss a couple of them.

The first one is Google AdSense, the most popular ad network in the world. In a nutshell, you will be displaying relevant ads (same niche as the content of your pages) from people who are using the Google AdWords system and paying Google to advertise their websites. Google makes the connection between the advertisers and the publishers (you, in this case) through the AdSense system. Every time someone clicks on one of the Google AdSense ads on your website, you get part of the profit. The cost per click (CPC) can vary greatly from a few cents per click to tens of dollars based on each particular ad and the keywords it uses. If your website is about entertainment, movies, news, jokes, photography and sports, the cost per click will be extremely low (less than 30 cents a click most likely). However, if your website is about health (one of the best paying ones), insurance, finance / loans, lawyers / attorneys, technology, internet or software, you can expect to make $1+ for each click.

Unfortunately, most beginners have a difficult time making money through AdSense. As a general guideline, you should expect your click through rate (CTR) to be between 1% and 3%. Click through rate is equal to the number of page impressions (number of pages viewed on your website) divided by the number of visitors who click on the ads. This means that for every 100 page visits your site gets, 1 to 3 people will click on one of the ads. If your website has 300,000 impressions a month, you should be getting 3000 to 9000 clicks on the ads in a single month. Let's assume the average cost per click is $0.50. You should be making $1500-$4500 a month. The exact sum will depend greatly on the content of your website. Use the keyword planner discussed in my second post in this topic in order to see which keywords pay the most.

In other words, if you have a high traffic website, you can expect to make thousands of dollars a month from Google AdSense. Otherwise, this method will not get you a lot of money and you should consider increasing your traffic or coming up with a different strategy.

The second option I'm going to briefly go over is BuySellAds. Although much newer than AdSense, many people report higher incomes using BuySellAds. The process is quite simple: select a category that best represents your website, choose the number of ad spaces and sizes you have available for sale, give details about the number and type of visitors your website has and then come up with an asking price. Once someone is interested in one of your ad spaces you have for sale, you will be notified and paid. Generally, if your website doesn't get a lot of traffic, nobody will want their ad on your website.

The benefit of using AdSense and BuySellAds is that you don’t need to worry about not getting paid on time. The two ad networks act as the middle man so you never have to deal with your advertisers directly. This is why I recommend using them instead of finding advertisers through other means.

Placing ads on your website will not make you rich in the majority of cases, but you can still make a good passive income if done right. I'd be more than happy to look at your websites and tell you if selling ad space would be profitable in your particular case. Feel free to send me a message or post your questions in this topic. Good luck!

Luffy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Dec 20, 2014
@sector7 You should copy/paste everything you wrote here and make it an ebook. It has potential to give you good profit.

David Fiddler

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
306%
Jan 11, 2015
@sector7 You should copy/paste everything you wrote here and make it an ebook. It has potential to give you good profit.
This + make a course around the e-book with a community around it with an option to pay for restricted content OH WAIT :D
No seriously, this is a good thread, thank you.

Luffy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Dec 20, 2014
This + make a course around the e-book with a community around it with an option to pay for restricted content OH WAIT :D
No seriously, this is a good thread, thank you.
He could honestly write an ebook then make an forum geared towards starting different online business and create discussions around it.
I'm serious, my idea is so good I almost want to beat him to it but I got integrity so it won't happen.

sector7

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
521%
Jan 26, 2015
Luffy, this information is not to steal but rather to apply. Keep your integrity at all times. I plan on creating a free ebook with more information in the near future.

Affiliate Marketing

This model can be divided into two distinct parts. The first one is advertising other peoples' products or services on your website while the second part is having others advertise your products or services on their websites. Both can be extremely profitable if done right.

Part 1

The first part is similar to "selling ad space" which I discussed in my previous post, but high traffic is not as vital. The idea is quite simple. You add a link or banner on your website that takes the visitor to another website when clicked. If the visitor ends up purchasing something from the website, you get part of the profit. Many online businesses have their own affiliate program that you can be part of, so it’s important that you do some research and select the best one for your site. Most well known companies and brands offer some kind of affiliate program so chances are high you can find something that you don't mind advertising.

Some of the most popular affiliate programs are Amazon Associates, Commison Junction and ShareASale but there are many others that might fit your needs better. With Amazon Associates, you simply place links to Amazon products on your website. When somebody purchases the products through your links, you get a percentage of the profit. CJ and ShareASale are actually part of a larger network of affiliates so rather than signing up for multiple affiliate programs, you can do it all through their own affiliate platform. The best affiliate network for your website depends greatly on the content of your website.

For example, if your website is about web development, it would be a great idea to be part of a website hosting affiliate program such as HostGator, GoDaddy or LiquidWeb. If your website is about books, the Amazon Associates program would benefit you more since you’d be able to add links to books from Amazon and make money every time someone purchases those particular books. From what I've seen so far, the Fastlane Forum uses multiple affiliate programs such as Amazon Associates and the LiquidWeb Affiliate program.

The difficult part is encouraging your visitors to buy from the affiliate links on your website rather than going directly to Amazon or another website and searching for the product they need. If you can reward the users who buy from your affiliate links,it's more likely that the visitors will be interested in purchasing the items using the links on your site.

For instance, if you're affiliated with a hosting company, every time someone signs up for a hosting account using your link, you will receive around $50. For those who make the purchase, you can reward them by giving them one of your ebooks free of charge, giving them access to a VIP section of your website or offering them some kind of discount. Since you're already making $50 from them by the simple fact that they signed up for a hosting account, why not encourage more sign ups by giving them a reward?

However, keep in mind that some users will try to exploit this rewards system by simply purchasing something from your affiliate links and then cancelling their orders. Make sure your rewards system takes this into account.

Part 2
So far, I've discussed how you can use someone else's affiliate program to help them sell their products or services while you get part of the profit. However, instead of making someone else rich, you can create an affiliate program of your own and let others sell your products or service for you! This works extremely well if you already have a successful product or service. The more rewarding and profitable your affiliate terms are for potential affiliates, the more people will use it to help you sell your products. The drawback to this is that you're going to have to give part of the profit (and pay an initiation fee in most cases) to CommissionJunction, ShareASale or other advertising platforms that let you create your own affiliate programs. I recommend this method only if you already have a successful product or service that sells well. This is an excellent method of letting others promote your products for you. In ideal conditions, both you as the advertiser, your affiliates and your customers will benefit greatly from a system of this sort. This is definitely the more fastlane approach to affiliate marketing but requires more work to get to this point.

If you have any questions, let me know.

sector7

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
521%
Jan 26, 2015
I can no longer edit my first post, but if a moderator could link the 5th item (e-products) in the initial post to this post, I'd appreciate it! (link to this post: https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/community/threads/step-by-step-online-success.58060/#post-438250)

E-products

The 5th business model that I'm going to discuss is selling an e-product, also known as an information product. This is a great and relatively easy method of making money and in many cases once you create it, the e-product will keep selling for years. If you have a certain talent, skill or were able to achieve something great in a particular field, why not share your tips, advice and secrets with others willing to pay?

There are many ways you can go on about doing this. A few examples are writing a “how-to” guide about a topic of your choice, selling stock photography (if you're an exceptional photographer), writing an e-book and even interviewing successful individuals through phone calls, online chat, email or face to face lunch meetings and then selling a condensed version of the interview in the form of a PDF. Don't be afraid to approach people! In the majority of cases, people love talking about themselves if you show an interest in them.

A word of caution though, don’t pretend to be someone you’re not. If you’re bad at programming don’t write about learning how to code. If you can’t even make an omelet, don’t start giving people cooking advice. Stick with what you know and if you don’t know anything then interview someone who does or start learning! There are countless examples of unqualified and unsuccessful individuals giving advice to others and leading them in the wrong direction while the “authors” sit back and get rich doing it. Their primary goal is to make money rather than help people. This might work for a while, but once the buyers realize your advice is worthless, you’ll be out of business. If your information is not accurate and not helpful, don’t even think about selling it to others. It is characteristic of people who have only superficial knowledge about a topic to try to give the impression that they have much knowledge. Simply focus on adding value to others and money will follow. If there's not a lot of value in your product, throw it away.

You can refer back to my previous posts in this topic if you need help with finding ideas. I suggest you make a list of things you’re either good at or know a lot about. When you start writing, make sure to provide your customers with something that they can’t easily find by doing a Google search. Either add some personal experiences and results, or provide them with so much value that it would take them hours of research in order to find all the information somewhere else. After you’re done writing it, ask yourself: “Would I buy this knowing what’s in it?” If the answer’s “no”, rewrite it to make it more valuable or come up with a completely new idea. Don’t start selling it just to make some money.

Where to Sell

After you’re done writing or creating your e-product, it’s time to sell it! This can be done through a personal blog (Wordpress has some great plugins for selling your e-products), Amazon in the form of an ebook, eBay and many other websites. My recommendation is to try as many methods as possible since you’re selling a virtual product so you won’t be dealing with shipping costs and other annoyances.

Getting your e-product known might be an issue at first, but don’t get discouraged. With patience and perseverance anything is possible. Rather than telling everyone about your product, focus on the people who are interested in your topic. If they knew your product existed, they would most likely be the ones purchasing it. Find them and give them value!

Last edited by a moderator:

sector7

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
521%
Jan 26, 2015
Lastly, the 6th business model:

Membership sites

The concept of charging a monthly or yearly fee in exchange for exclusive access has been around for hundreds of years. Why not apply the same principle to your website?

This model works best for online forums, blogs, online services and rare (or illegal) download sites. Many people are willing to pay a monthly fee in order to have access to valuable information or be part of a great community. This forum is a great example of that. In order for this business model to succeed, you need loyal visitors. Visitors who pay month after month and continue to be interested in the information or service you provide. The more valuable and unique your website’s content, the more paid users you will attract. Provide them with valuable information and you’ll get plenty of monetary value in return.

A drawback to membership websites is that they’re often times expensive to implement. You can either pay someone to create the website from scratch or pay for an existing membership platform and customize it to fit your needs. If you’re looking for a cheap alternative, you can use the WishList Member plugin for WordPress which costs about $100. For something more complex, such as SubHub, the cost will exceed $1000. There are many different options and many possibilities when building and running a membership website so rather than going through all the possible scenarios, please do some research. Also, you can feel free to send me a message and I will do my best to advise you.

With these six business models, opportunity has been laid out in front of you. Step up, create your plan, put the plan into action, and follow through with persistence and desire. Welcome to the road to online wealth!

DustinG

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Mar 28, 2011
Great posts, and great outlines of common online business models.

The challenge is that just setting up a sit with any of these models in whatever niche you think of won't get you anywhere if there's not a actual need for it in the marketplace, and a way your site is different from the other sites doing the same thing.

CrocodileX

Contributor
Feb 16, 2015
Egypt
This is a great and relatively easy method of making money...

Can you link me to an example of where you are executing this great and relatively easy method of making money? And post approximately how much relatively easy money you've made from it?

I am looking for something difficult, because MJ DeMarco said in difficuly lies opportunity, plus a barrier to entry will keep others from copying my hustle….. BUT when an expert tells me there is a relatively easy method to make money, it's always worth 100 pesos of my time to investigate :)

sector7

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
521%
Jan 26, 2015
Can you link me to an example of where you are executing this great and relatively easy method of making money? And post approximately how much relatively easy money you've made from it?

I am looking for something difficult, because MJ DeMarco said in difficuly lies opportunity, plus a barrier to entry will keep others from copying my hustle….. BUT when an expert tells me there is a relatively easy method to make money, it's always worth 100 pesos of my time to investigate :)
Anything is easy compared to working a 9 to 5 job for 40+ years of your life.

This topic isn't about me, but I'm sure you can find successful examples of what I described. I can answer more specific questions if you have any.

d.weglarz13

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Nov 2, 2014
I still keep coming back to this thread in my reading list. This is a very valuable thread. Just wanted to say thank you, as Im sure I will have some specific questions soon. Funny how when something that seems so complex is broken down in an easy to understand explanation of the basic details, becomes something valuable to a guy like me who gets a bit overwhelmed sometimes. Again, thank you.

Dave

Grinning-Jack

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
82%
Mar 8, 2015
Well, it remined me one good guy that posted his 9 Business Models years ago. I still kept that post for myself. I don't remember his name now. But most of the things you're talking about were written by him in his business models. I'm not saying you posted his stuff. You just reminded me of his models.

Leo Hendrix

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Apr 15, 2014
How about Online/Digital Marketplace(s)?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.